Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I commuted vast distances on a mutant fzr400 and carb'd '99 r1 when it wasn't being a total piece of poo poo.
America is pretty vast once you get outta the urban cores with a whole lotta fuckin nothin'

Both bikes would sometimes haul 100-150lb of tools in a backpack or strapped to the tail/pillion seat.
I kind-of-want to do an earlier r1 set up for touring/shithauling/trailer towing but the old dakar buster just kinda ticks all the boxes while also falling under the radar.

Look up Sjaak Lucassen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Most people buy an SUV when they really need a station wagon or minivan

Most people buy an adv when they really need a maxiscoot

Not wrong.
Which is why I'm trying to persuade my partner to sell their 600 ton automatic honda adv for a dr650 on sumo slicks

.... that we can do version two of the 790 kit on with what we've learned from round one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
dr650 and a vfr400

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
if you're considering a hybrid consider a klr.
cheap
reliable
ridable
put a 10 gal tank on it and it has insane range
walk mode by feathering the clutch
hybrid system that burns gas and oil
perfectly silent when the kill switch is off
free milk crate panniers.

(lots of sarcasm, like holy poo poo)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Comfort: R1250GSA, yes, the A, with the entire Pouratech catalog poured over the bike. Ride it nowhere because it's a 7 ton bike that's daunting and is wide as the cybertruck is ugly, but enjoy the comfort it provides doing 65mph on superslab. In tow is a KDX220 for hitting the trails.
Skillbuilding: Any 250-400 Japanese dualsport, drz included. Honda 450ls offer nothing over a drz. skip em.
Kind of dirt adjacent, does 65, doesn't care if it's dropped, etc: DR650, xr650l. gently caress a klr, they're poo poo.
Projects: no, don't do that. A enfield or 690/701 if you must. Big bore ktms come stable of horses, but also a stable worth of fragile rear end poo poo that'll die if it sees a mouse. Or in this case, rotella.

A 250 has no problem doing 65. The WR I owned would top out at about 93 and get about 35mpg doing it. Geared down 1 up front. No it's not comfortable, but it's easy to pick up when I drop it from running out of skill.
I mostly huped that thing with a truck if it was more than ~100miles one way. I'd buy another in 2024.

Of the three the hondas have the worst suspension in the kingdom of 250s. Components so cheap they belong on a chinese ebike and filled with cooking oil.
The suspension on the wr and klx are useful enough with a respring/revalve.
The ktm 390 is a disposamotor. Ride it till it pops then go spoon in a honda 300 mill. Laugh till the heat death of the universe with an expensive, slow, reliable, ktm.

The best middleweight ime that doesn't exist is a crf250l with the ptwin from a cb500x. I want to build one with not poo poo-rear end-suspension. The suspension on those really chap my rear end. Or a wr-turbo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

The klx300, either dual sport or sumo model, has actually good suspension not set up for a 100lb person so that’s the biiiig pro against the Honda 300 which has hilariously soft suspension stock. KLX has all the modern stuff, I think it’ll be perfect for backing it in around town.

Seconding this. The honda has a klr650 esque monoshock filled with essentially cooking oil. It's as if harbor-freight made bike suspensions.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

I'd look at a Multistrada of you're in that kind of zone.

They're available with radar cruise!

(for only thirty large)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

are p twins cool now

As cool as KLRs are fun to ride.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

There is no better cluster

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A stock bike in pieces can make an ok project if there's significant support around it.
A stock bike that's been taken apart then had power tools taken to it to convert it into something else is a project rife with pain.

I strongly recommend a project goldwing.

Scam Likely posted:

The 1390 Super Duke R has been inhabiting my dreams for weeks now. It's an achievable dream bike (for my circumstances) with the caveat that it's probably a maintenance nightmare and a guaranteed deathwish.

Over my 20 years of riding I've always been the practical type, opting for cheap and cheerful machines while looking down on squids who ride impractical machines beyond their skill levels. I started on a 125cc, moved up to a 200cc, followed by multiple 650cc bikes, and now back down to a 400cc. 20 years on and I'm finding myself unable to resist the temptation of a 1,000+cc V-twin. Should I avoid this urge to buy more bike than is necessary? And is the 1390 the absolute worst option of them all?

LC8s are fine. Bonus to you the new 1390 has 37k mile valve check intervals.
I've had an early lc8 for 7 years now. It's still a favorite.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
CCT was updated in 2006ish when the sm came about. You can tell because of the revised bar switch and it also cuts the headlight on starting. The manual ones are fine.
Loctited stator bolts I think happened in '17+

Look for botched wiring.
The milk junk expansion tank is frail, if it leaks, you'll blow a headgasket because the electrics on this bike are dumb. Fix it with the same part for $40 or use a turkey baster.
Upgrade the charging system wiring, there's a connector that likes to fail.

There's not a lot to go wrong with these and they are going to rack up owners with age. They're the honda civic of dual sports. The world is your oyster.

I had an '01 that I bought in boxes with 25k miles and sold 2 years later with 55k miles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Redvenom posted:

I destroyed the top end of the engine in my SM, instead of scrapping it I used it as an opportunity to get a new one plus a 434cc big bore kit + FCR carb.

DRZ supremacy.

I paid $400 for mine because the PO forgot gudgeon pin clips in their big bore install.
Since used SMs were 6 grand and new ones are 7 grand I spent the difference making a pretty alright do most everything bike.
Cue the 60hp drz.

I've been trying to buy it back but they won't sell it.