Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Having ridden one (they're pretty common here), you aren't missing out on much. I say this as someone who has owned a couple of 400cc pocket superbikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Paging Xovaan!

My 30 year old cb650 is starting to drive me crazy with this clutch problem I'm having, and it's gotten me looking at other bikes for what will be my second bike. I'll probably sell this thing late in the season and pick something new up this or early next year.

I've been looking at all sorts of bikes for a while now, and for some reason I keep coming back to a Bandit 1250. Since I'm a boring rear end person I'm not really looking for something like a sport bike, the bikes that appeal to me are the all rounder types like v stroms and the like. The only thing that I keep second guessing is the weight. Is a bike that heavy ok for every day use, around town and commuting? Or does it start to get cumbersome? Honestly I don't know what the hell I'm asking. I've just never sat on one to see how the weight feels.

What I would REALLY want is a Street Triple but they seem to be significantly more expensive on the used market.

I wouldn't worry about the weight at all. My ZRX1200 feels only marginally larger, and no heavier, than my mate's cx400. I ride my bike every single day to work and compared to the smaller bikes I've owned, you only really notice the difference if you do lots of lane-splitting or ride along extremely tight and bumpy roads.

Ancient bikes are really heavy and extremely clumsy-feeling compared to even very large modern bikes, when you ride one you'll probably find that, after the initial impression of overwhelming size, it's much more nimble and easy to ride than your old bike. Also, the oil boiler 1200 is the one to have, and the 1250 is the more watered-down (HAHAHAHAHA) liquid-cooled version IIRC.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yea but I want a 1250 because gently caress cleaning 4 carbs again.

Also, yea the Wee is definitely on my list too, though I'm thinking I want something with a little more balls. Which kinda sucks because in the Stroms case I hear the 650 is a better bike than the 1000.

I'd also point out that not wanting a sportsbike doesn't make you boring. Riding a bike at all makes you ten times less boring than the next dumb oval office in the street. And you owe it to yourself to get a bandit or similar if you've never been exposed to the magical wonderland of three-digit power coupled with a steam-train torque curve and a lazyboy bolted to the top.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sir Cornelius posted:

It's lost the plastics and got all the new paint because it was crashed.

Yes.

Sir Cornelius posted:

...it's a horrible bike..

No.

Sir Cornelius posted:

...with poor finish and lovely quality control.

Yes.

If you're in NZ (and I'm assuming you are because Trademe) that is way too much money for way too little bike. If you're spending that much I would strongly urge you to get a 90's Japanese bike that falls into the LAMS scheme, like NT650 bros or an early sv650 or one of the early 90's 400cc pocket superbikes, all of which can be had for around 3-3.5k. Now that we have the option not to, you would be a fool to start on a 250 (particularly a very slow one like that). Also, now that their value is plummeting as people realise you don't have to ride a 250 on L plates, selling it will become really tricky when you get sick of it, which will be two months after you learn to ride.

edit: check this out http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-628691338.htm I found that after 30 seconds on TM. If you're near Auckland I'd be happy to ride whatever you buy back to your house so you don't have to gently caress around with a trailer, let me know.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 20, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

thylacine posted:

Don't buy a bike with 90k on it unless: you have a fairly equipped garage, know how to work on bikes and don't mind not being able to ride all the time because something is broken or worn out.

I didn't know a ninja 500 could even attain 150,000km, that's pretty good going!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How dare you. That bike could have been a badguy in any Knight Rider episode.

I've fooled around with one of these for a few minutes and it was that same colour scheme. It makes you feel like the terminator dressed as Ronald McDonald. It's also the only one of them I've ever seen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sweet god it's like a combination tank bag and chin rest.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Apple2o posted:

Speed and acceleration I am not super concerned with since I am not out to impress people with stupid rear end stunts. Mainly just looking for a nice smooth ride to travel around in when I want.

You will learn the error of your ways. Soon, my child....soon...

I know you want to 'sit like on a chair' but that's really what scooters are for, it's only comfortable if you have no foot controls or freeway speeds to deal with. With bikes the most comfortable posture is slightly leaned forward because the cushion of air at freeway speeds holds you up and you can 'balance' against the pressure. With an actual chair-like posture you're always fighting the wind and it gets pretty tiring if the bike doesn't have a decently large fairing, but some people disagree. Choppers by and large are anything but relaxed, it's actually pretty difficult to effectively ride a bike with your arms and legs stretched out in front of you. But again, some people disagree.

Have you ever ridden before? If not, ninja 250 or similar, end of story. The reason being you need to learn to ride first and foremost, you can get the bike you really want when you've learned not to fall over in a parking lot.

If you have ridden before, test ride a few different styles of bike and see what you like. Most japanese bikes of the 90's-00's are solid and dependable, get something with reasonably low km's which doesn't look too beat-up; if in doubt post a specific bike in this thread and we will tell you (to buy an sv650) if it looks alright.

Nearly every bike has a 'second seat', the trade off is between pillion comfort and other aspects of the bike design. As a general rule the smaller beginner bikes tend to have crap pillion seats simply because they're physically small; a full-sized tourer is very plush but also not the ideal first bike. The logic is that if you're just learning, you aren't going to be carrying a passenger any time soon.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jesus Christ. I've never ridden a buell in my life, but a very similar paragraph could be put together as reasons not to buy a guzzi or a ducati or whatever. Maybe some people just want a quirky strange bike with a Harley engine? The same way some people want a quirky strange aircooled trellis frame dry clutch bike.

thylacine posted:

Sell your other bike and get a Vstrom or something. It has a v-twin. What's up with wanting this guy so bad?

This is like saying 'Sell your other car and get a crown Victoria or something. It has a v8. What's up with wanting an ac cobra so bad?'

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

thylacine posted:

Yeah, except a big Vstrom has more a few more HP and weighs about the same - totally cogent metaphor though.

I was meaning a vstrom is an incredibly boring whitegoods bike compared to a buell, despite being better in every measurable way. It wasn't a perfect analogy but you get my point. People sometimes want something strange and different and quirky and are willing to make practicality sacrifices to that end; this is why masochists insist on buying old alfa romeos and w114 mercs and not everyone rolls around in an Altima or corolla.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

I definitely agree that they're way too expensive, at least for examples that aren't really early model years or have tons of miles. I don't know why that is, maybe because they know eventually someone like me that HAD to have an XB12SS will come along. For some reason even before I had my license I knew I had to have one some day.

I want an xb12 but I have the sinking feeling that they'll be impossible to keep running by the time I can afford one. Japanese bikes for life :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

I think the only salient advice I can add to this current topic is MT-01.

If only they had more power/the same accessibility of horsepower upgrades as a Harley-based bike. I really really reallyreallyreally like mt-01's and the stoppyturny bits are real purdy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Looking for more horsepower out of a MT-01 means that bike isn't up your alley. 110lb/ft under 4krpm will bend space/time - low RPM grunt is what the MT-01 is all about. I rode a Star Warrior - the USA market's closest match to the MT-01 - and it was pretty exciting despite how it looked on paper. Looking back I should have got that and not the Vstar.

Yes but the MT isn't a cruiser, it has R1 suspension and brakes so I'd like at least a bit more than 90hp.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And honda continue their long-standing tradition of overturning the old stereotype that red = exciting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is this a good idea? I've always had a soft spot for them and for my soon-to-be next bike I want a reasonably modern sportsbike bigger than a 600 and preferably with a v-twin. Ducatis and RC51's are insanely over-priced in my area; this mille has fuckall km's and looks to be in pretty good condition.

The internet leads me to believe the RSV approaches japanese levels of reliability and is generally an awesome bike. Am I wrong?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Don't talk about soul or HNasty and n8r will show up with their terrible opinions.

Those aren't terrible opinions, they're character.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Interesting, is that where they derived the current VFR setup from - with the rear cylinders placed inboard of the front cylinders?

Pretty much. I can't find anything on the net about this but in superbike mag they had pics of the new patents Honda have taken for a road-going 5 cylinder bike with a single cam on the front bank to save space.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are first generation ZX-10r's any good? The bike in question.

The only other two options currently in contention are a 954 blade (hilariously high-priced here) or an early gixxer 1000 (terrible quality, all seem to have very high mileage). I don't know much about zx10's but a quick scan of reviews indicates they're very fast but also quite unforgiving. How bad are we talking here?

I got a feel for the blade as being very compact and user-friendly, and a gsxr as being pretty large and extremely powerful. I can't really ride like a lunatic on a test-ride, especially on a bike I've never ridden before, and I don't want to buy something that I'll end up crashing on later because it has some sort of unpredictable handling quality I wasn't aware of. Is the difference in rideability that substantial?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Bandits kick all forms of butt. They're easy to work on, have what amounts to a GSXR engine in them, and are naked, so don't draw to much attention. The 600, and 1200 are great.

That's a Bandit 400. Sadly that's the runt of the family, they're hard on the needle jets, and you can not find replacements. Run.

edit: Hmmpf, it looks like they might be BS32SS's. If that is true... parts are available.

Now what bike out there has the BSW28's on it... the GSXR250?

GSX250F does. Gixxer 250 is different; ASK ME HOW I KNOW (please don't the memory is traumatic).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Only one person can have a letter-number-letter screenname in this here forum. :clint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0frA_0MjW

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitramster posted:

I know this is mostly a used bike thread, but I'm leaning towards getting a new ZX6R later this year (2013 model, the 14's are just different color configs with a higher price). I'm mostly looking for advice on how to negotiate a lower price. Just looking for tips, or any reason I might want to wait or look at a different model.

Here's some extra info if it helps; i'm 6' even. Been riding a few years now, want a sportbike, engine size doesn't matter too much. I'm comfortable on 600/750/1000's. I sat on almost all the current model options and found the GSXR and Kawis the most comfortable (obviously not riding them, but I sat on them both feet on pegs for a couple minutes each). This will be a commuter bike with jaunts out to canyons in so cal regularly, hopefully a track school like California superbike school (or maybe a cheaper option) sometime soon. I plan on using and keeping this purchase for a very long time, hence the desire for the 636 as its got all the new tech (TC,ABS are important) Can't think of anything else, just looking for more angles of opinion.

quick edit: Also I forgot to mention I will put about 5k down so financing is a top priority, I seem to have missed a 0%apr deal kawi was running through the summer (drat!) any idea when they would do that again?

For alternatives, have you looked at a triumph Daytona? They're meant to be noticeably faster than conventional 600's whilst keeping their other good qualities. They don't depreciate as much either FWIW. At least not where I live.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitramster posted:

You know it didn't even occur to me that the insurance on a litre exotic might actually be cheaper than a japanese 600 because of theft and crash factors. Something I'll explore with AAA tomorrow.

If there actually is a Launch Control out there that will hold a 45 degree wheelie the search is over! Alas, I cannot fathom a company considerate enough to make it!

Aprilia is that company.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

CoyDog bought my SV!

So CA I'm now considering my next bike. I'm cross-shopping a KTM 690 SMC, Harley Sportster, or Piaggio BV350 as they are all very similar...

Scooter with a Harley engine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pissingintowind posted:

Guys, I want a new bike! I've been riding since December of last year (daily highway commuting and some weekend fun stuff, ~6,000 miles total). My current ride is a naked first-gen SV650.

Here are a few things I want:

1. Fuel injection because gently caress carbs and chokes
2. A fairing or windshield because my highway commute has gotten longer
3. More power because I've started doing a bit more 2-up riding with :siren: my girlfriend :siren: :smug:

Here are a few things that I like about the SV that I'd like the next bike to have, too:

1. Low maintenance
2. Torque-y, relatively even power delivery
3. Relatively comfortable seating position for a 6'2" dude with a 34" inseam
4. $5,000 or less in Bay Area dollars

Any recommendations? I've been looking at the FZ6/1, newer SV650/1000, Ninja 650/1000, Street Triple/Daytona...

Have you ridden a mid-sized four? They feel pretty aenemic low-down compared to an SV. An sv1000 would be right up your alley if your market has them; injected, available with a half-fairing, but has all the good qualities of a 650. A ninja 650 and ninja 1000 are not remotely the same thing; one is a learner-friendly mid-range 2 cylinder bike a lot like the SV and the other is an honest-to-god superbike with all the terror that implies. Also not what I'd call low-maintenance or comfortable seating/pillion ride. Ditto striple/daytona, having a pillion on a daytona 675 would a nightmare (daytona owners feel free to disabuse me of this notion).

edit: get the gently caress in here xovaan I can't be bothered talking about B12's.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Slavvy is confusing the Ninja 1000 with the ZX-10R which are two different bikes. The 1000 is called something else overseas, I forget what. It's a decent sports tourer and also meets your reqs but is a bit new to find a good one down in the $5k range.

Ah, didn't realise that's the case. My ZX-10 is badged a ninja, as are zx-14's and zx-6' here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

The ZX's are still Ninjas, but the 'Ninja 1000' is the faired Z1000

That seems like it would still be quite a handful for a second bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Oh right, I was going to reply to this.

There's a cheap FZ1 for sale - 2850 last I checked, might be cheaper now, from a guy I know. If you're into that thing, it'd be worth a shot, has been resprung and has some other poo poo going for it.

They hit 1 - 2, sort of. It'll out grunt your SV but not by too much. It'll have a lot of top end though. Seating should be pretty comfortable, as should 2 up.

Other options - ZRX. B12 as mentioned.

There's also the big sport touring bikes to consider - ZZR1200s are a seriously under-rated bike, VFR800s (if you can live with the V4 being a bitch to work on and the VTAKS), Futura, etc.

ZZR1200's are like a tyrannosaurus on crack. By far the fastest dinosaur I've ever seen and incredibly subtle and unassuming on the outside.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Only if it falls on you and crushes you when you fall over in a driveway. They aren't that fast; cc isn't everything. It isn't even the main thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Get a 919. Seriously, they are perfect for what you want. Aside from the lack of fairing, which you can either bodge with an aftermarket screen or just harden up. I commuted 60km a day on a 919, most of it highway, and didn't have a problem.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Russian Bear- I've owned two miatas and I feel the same. They are incredible cars. The reasons you love the miata are why you'll be head over heels for riding on two wheels out in the open. As long as you have a backup car; take your msf, get a suitable bike and gear, and don't look back. No one will stop you from buying another miata in the future if you get tired of the bike.

I have an even stronger opinion than this. I think you'll lose all interest in any car perceived as light or sporty after riding a bike fast. I know my tastes have changed completely; I now want a huge comfortable automatic landbarge or a 4x4, fast or sporty cars just don't interest me beyond the academic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, while I like the idea of something like the Monster or the Shiver, I'm not super sold on the reliability. I figured there were at least enough Monsters out there that spare parts wouldn't have to be overnighted from Italy, and someone other than the Ducati dealership would be able to work on them. Maybe that's an unreasonable assumption.

In your opinion, what makes the NT650 awesome? I like it because it's relatively small and light, has what looks like an extremely practical all-purpose engine, and I saw a video of one with a Two Brothers pipe and it sounded amazing. Also it looks cool with stuff like that big aluminum frame and the single-sided swingarm. But what makes it appealing to a person who is a motorcycle mechanic and already owns a classic BMW and a Ducati?

They tend not to break down. As a car mechanic that's what I look for in a car, so it stands to reason...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

edit: whoops wrong thread.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 30, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm biased as hell, but my 919 has offered me everything I wanted from a bike. Standard ergos, good looks, comfort, and smooth power. Any discussion of Bandits should include a Hornet/919.

I agree with you entirely, except for the ergos. As a tall skinny guy I found the bike intensely uncomfortable for what it was. The seat was hard and kept trying to shove me into the tank despite my best efforts, and the tank itself was a terrible shape for gripping with my knees. My facelift sv650 was far better, and I can say this having ridden the bikes back to back. It also tended to understeer a bit, but if you have the facelift version with the adjustable suspension that isn't a big deal.

Also despite the on-paper power figures seeming down compared to something like a b12/zrx it realistically isn't any slower, while also being much lighter, more compact, better handling and better braking.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ChewedFood posted:

Tomorrow I will buy a 1983 Suzuki GS 750 that has been sitting outside since 2003 for $300. Then I will restore it and ride it for fun or sell it for moneys. Tell me why this is a bad idea.

That part is a pipedream. Otherwise that sounds like a splendid idea!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A snowmobile v:shobon:v

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That sentence is really doing my head in. Are you saying you want to own a pristine ninja 500 and a non-running ninja 500?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

Looking for some input. I've been riding a Shadow 750 variant for two years. It's my first bike, and while I've enjoyed the hell out of my time with it I'm looking to get into something a little sportier. My body type (5'11", 220lbs) leans me more towards a standard as opposed to straight sports bike. I haven't test ridden any yet and am just compiling a list to check out. I'm currently looking at:

Honda CBR500R / CB500F - These seem tailor made for starter 'sport' guys like me. I hear the CBR sits more like a standard than a fully aggressive-stanced sport bike. Hell of a steal for the cost and ABS is always a bonus.
Triumph Street Triple - Pricier, but I've read they're one of the best all-rounders available.
Kawasaki FZ-09 - Cheaper than the Triumph, but reviews say choppy power delivery, which sorta puts me on edge especially since every review shines on about how easy wheelies are with it. As a first time sports rider, sounds daunting.

If I've missed any please let me know. Quick notes, I'm looking for new not used, and sub $10k.

Having now ridden a striple, I can say that it isn't exactly a smoothie on the throttle either. It came across as a very easy to use, but very snappy and flighty bike. I'd recommend the cb just because the performance leap isn't enormous, and because you'll get to try a bike with fairings and see what it's like.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yoshimo posted:

Long time lurker, first time (CA) poster.

I'm thinking of going to look at a second-hand Suzuki Marauder 125 tomorrow. It's an '06, and is going for about £1,200 (but I'll see how far down I can knock it.) What's the consensus on this rather pretty bike? I had one before for a few months, and loved the poo poo out of it, but then again it's the only bike I've been on. Is there anything negative I should be wary of about this model?

Avoid if you plan on doing any highway riding :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I recently acquired a 1988 honda GL145. It's an aircooled single with a top speed of 120km/h (I've tested this) and I use it to commute every day. I love it when traffic is gridlocked but I dread the 'good' days when there is gently caress all traffic and it's all travelling at normal motorway speeds. The thing is lethal. The brakes are useless, the tyres are terrifying and the lack of horsepower really does feel dangerous. If I'm merging and someone in a car decides to be a oval office and not give me any room, I'm hosed. I can't accelerate to get through and I can't brake enough to avoid them. Total lack of power is definitely dangerous if you plan on going highway speeds.

If you're aware of those limitations then go for gold!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yes. Someone will tell you to get a bandit 1200. Someone else will tell you to get a Buell Ulysses.

In seriousness, sport tourers like VFR800, Aprilia Futura or similar. Unless you want to be absolutely bolt-upright like on a scooter, I guess. If you don't give a drat about offroad ability then I don't see the point of buying a light adventure bike, it certainly won't feel or handle remotely like a sport bike.

You seriously have described a sport tourer.