Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

bizwank posted:

So, I'm trying to narrow down choices for my first bike; so far I seem to prefer the naked/adv look, and I'd like something pretty reliable and easy to get parts/service for, preferably with ABS. My goal is to eventually do some motocamping so there may be a need to wander off pavement a bit, but most likely the majority of my riding will be in-city and I'd like to be able to take a passenger at times (which would be a total of ~300lbs) so it should have enough hp to manage that easily. I've seen all the advice to just get a cheap 125/250 to start with, and I've taken that to heart, but if I can avoid having to replace my first bike within a year after buying it to get the bike I really want/need that would be nice. I'm taking the MSF in a few weeks and am planning to take into consideration how well I do/how confident I am on the bikes there to help shape this decision as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6g6_CJZI_c

To that list I'd add the KTM 390 Duke, Yamaha MT-03. If you want a dual sport (and I agree with Fortnine about why starting with a small dual sport is best) but find them too tall the Yamaha XT250.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I bought a used XT250 a couple years back, my crf 250l experience is limited to test rides. I bought it to get experience riding dirt, something I'd never done before this bike.

I find the XT a perfectly acceptable dual sport, it's not fast, but it's been a great platform to start learning trail riding and basic wrenching. If you test ride other small dual sports and find yourself uncomfortable with the seat height, try out an XT250. If you're OK with a taller seat I'd suggest the KLX300.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Gorson posted:

Yeah it was a cool little supermoto based on the KLX250S but they're kinda rare and the only ones I see are completely trashed. Put a Bill Blue 351 kit in it and it can compete with the WR250R/X at a much lower price.

The XT225/250 isn't really a apples/apples comparison with the WR250R, the WR here always goes for a premium, which is going to be even higher this year ($5k+).

It looks like bengy81 is correct, the WR250R has been discontinued in the US and Europe as of 2021 (I can only assume to make way for a Tenere 300) so they're going to be even harder to find. They're still making the X through.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
If you want character, power, or thrills it's not the motorcycle for you. It's probably a terrible bike for a large portion of the CA population. But I've discovered I ride motorcycles for some weird zen feeling. My ideal bike is something almost invisible to the rider, something so easy to ride that it lets me maximize my feeling of just being in the moment. I'd buy something electric if they didn't start at double the price, just to get as silent as possible.

I'm most likely buying one of the first 2021 NC750x's to get to the US. Spent a while testing the older ones and came away thinking the only things I wanted were LED turn signals and a slightly lower seat height, which the new model provides (to me, ground clearance is irrelevant on this bike because despite Honda insisting it's an adventure bike, it's really an upright road bike with a partial fairing.) I'm planning to primarily commute to work with it (a commute consisting of both interstate and a fairly large amount of inner-city traffic,) and of all the middleweight upright street adventure/sport touring bikes I tested, it was the one I knew I would get out of the garage the most.

The 2021 model is getting some decent reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhTh_raM-5g

Slavvy posted:

E: just expanding a little: they are one of those bikes built to the idea that just won't die: a bike to entice car people. So like always they built a bike with lots of cargo, a slow revving quiet engine, and all the icky mechanical parts safely hidden. Unfortunately they didn't entice any car drivers because like always, the bike has none of the stuff that makes bikes fun while still being exposed and braincell demanding to operate.

At this point I think the bike is primarily targeted at the European market, where it's been a quiet success for several years now. It's pretty consistently somewhere between 10th and 20th most popular model by sales.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Are you thinking smaller, say 200-500cc?

I'd test ride the Yamaha TW200 first.
If you want something more traditional dual sport shaped, or hate the TW's carb and rear drum brake, look at a Kawasaki KLX300.
If that Kawasaki's seat height is unbearably tall, then look at a Yamaha XT250.
If those end up being too small, I'd look at the Honda CRF450XL or the Suzuki DR400

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 4, 2021

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I own a juiced cross current x and have been very happy with it. If I was to do it again though I’d probably buy a kit from https://ebikes.ca/, just so I knew I could get replacement parts.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

<smaller bike post>
Fortnine has a video I mostly agree with (don't buy the KTM):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6g6_CJZI_c

My personal suggestions would be the same as when Steakandchips was looking for something earlier. Replace the KLX300 with 250 if you want, it's just an older/slightly smaller version of the same model. same with the XT250 vs 225. Used dual sports are the best because they're built to be dropped, and honestly look better once they've got some dings on them.

BabelFish posted:

Are you thinking smaller, say 200-500cc?

I'd test ride the Yamaha TW200 first.
If you want something more traditional dual sport shaped, or hate the TW's carb and rear drum brake, look at a Kawasaki KLX300.
If that Kawasaki's seat height is unbearably tall, then look at a Yamaha XT250.
If those end up being too small, I'd look at the Honda CRF450XL or the Suzuki DR400

I personally ended up buying the XT250, and would say it's the best for confidence building. The combination of a 31.9 inch seat height (which compresses when you get on it) and an 11.2 inch ground clearance is almost unique in the dual sport world. Anything else with that ground clearance has a seat height up around at least 34 inches.

Also, dual sports in general are exceptionally hard to find right now. Shipping troubles mean there's very few to no new bikes arriving in markets. I wouldn't let a few missed opportunities get you down.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

That sounds terrifying and/or faulty
It's part of the DCT system, there's an IMU in the bike that also delays shifting while leaned over. If you put any pressure on the actual brakes, it stops. In a bike that heavy/with that engine? Seems like a great idea.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
What is it with big bikes and those exact grips? Was down at my local dealer the other day and half the used wings and big Harleys had those aftermarket grips on.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

The mt07 is the only good parallel twin currently being produced, fight me. Nothing else comes close, it's basically an honorary v-twin. Admittedly I haven't ridden an rs660 but it's safe to assume that a great engine that works is better than a brilliant engine that's waiting for parts to arrive from Italy.

What makes it so much better? My understanding is it's a pretty standard ptwin outside the 270° crank.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Spiggy posted:

Sadly north Dallas. The NT looks like my sort of ugly and matches my use case. I forgot to mention it was the Tenere 700 that I rode; the Super Tenere is definitely too much for a second bike.

E: thanks for the follow-ups Lungboy/FBS. I really want a tracer 7 but it's one of the models that never made it to the US for some reason. The Tiger was on my radar but I seem to remember that Triumph maintenance fees are higher than Japanese brands which I'm skewing to.

I also wanted a Tracer 7 in the US, the closest thing I found with 17” wheels as standard is the NC750. If you’re willing to go used you might look for Tracer 900s.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 18, 2021

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
An old co-worker bought a C125 super cub for roughly the same distance daily commute (included a Seattle ferry, where bikes get to skip the line) and really enjoys it.

Does the UK have gogoro scooters? They’re essentially a standard in Taiwan now.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 19, 2022

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Clearly the proper answer is a CBR250RR, turn your commute into a Moto3 course.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Perhaps a Tracer 900? People really like the mt-09 engine and the tracer has more upright ergos.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 16, 2022

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
If you want a small dual sport with a low seat height and efi, look at the XT250. If you want something bigger, most of the manufacturers make a ~650 adventure bike to look at. The v-strom and KLR are particularly liked around here.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mirconium posted:

Or comedy option: NC750X since I've realized all I want to do on bikes is ride 300 miles a day with a week's worth of laundry in the luggage. But drat it I still have my pretenses to sportiness.
The last parts for my NC750X's luggage came in this week. By the end of the weekend the bike should have more storage by volume than an equivalent model-year goldwing. I'm quite excited.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I absolutely adore my 2021 NC750X DCT, but the majority of the riding I get to do these days is commuting, and there's honestly no better motorcycle for mixed-road commutes (mine includes both 70mph freeways and the literal worst traffic jam in all of Seattle.) It's also a perfectly serviceable light tourer or weekend ride bike, but it's definitely not going to be as comfortable as a goldwing, or light your pants on fire like a MT-07 or SV650.

If you have the opportunity/money to get a 2021-2022 model I definitely would at least try riding one, they're much improved from the previous generation. The first three gears are shorter so it feels like there's more torque at slower speeds (fast shifts mean nothing when the bike's doing it for you.) The seat's a couple inches lower and no longer slowly slides your crotch into the fake tank. All the lights are LEDs (I always hated the bulbous incandescent indicators on bikes with LED headlights). And there's a better set of riding modes and electronics, most notably the DCT is much better at shifting. Oh and I GUESS it's slightly more powerful, with a few more RPM on the redline.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’m talking about a DCT/automatic NC750, so throttle blipping isn’t really a thing.

I don't remember if the older models do it, but the 2021-2022 one definitely blips the throttle on DCT downshifts if required.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is it 1?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I assume the main bearing is in that slightly smaller large hole in the center left of the bottom image. Do they like... pour the mold around the bearing? Or is it just glued in because they can't be assed. #7 (and 10, and 13) is clearly another bearing, so they obviously know how to make them removable.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
A 400 would be perfectly fine for you too. I wouldn't worry too much about shorter trips, particularly if you're going to be doing occasional longer stuff.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

A cafe racer for the people who only care about the race to the cafe.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

MSPain posted:

i've been riding at least a little just about every day and i'm getting to the point where I'm a little sick of city riding. i'd like to take some trips farther afield. here in seattle that pretty much means going on I5 for a significant distance, and my darling little tu250x isn't quite up to the task. going south through seattle there are several spots where you need to merge or exit from the left side of the highway and it generally feels a little unsafe maxing out at ~75mph with a long runway and a tail wind. I want to go to portland or canada, both of which will take about 4 hours of highway riding.

the closest dealer to me is triumph. would it be really stupid to get a bonneville or a thruxton? i have also had my eye on the royal enfield 650s they sell.

also i really want this old bmw https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/751932659188195
it's so dreamy :ohdear:
There’s a few side highways you can use up north to avoid 5 that your tu250x would be perfectly happy on.

https://www.motowhere.com/explore/route/Space-Needle-to-Stanwood--No-I5 This is similar to some rides I've been planning. 9 mirrors 5 all the way up to the border with Canada, but is a way nicer road to take, and you can cut across 5 at a whole bunch of places depending on how long you want to ride.

If you want an all day trip, take 9 up to 20 and then traverse Whidbey Island all the way down to the Clinton/Mukilteo ferry. https://www.motowhere.com/explore/route/Seattle-to-Whidbey-Island-Loop

Edit: If you need to go to Portland and want to make a trip of it, take the ferry over to Bremerton, then head southwest on 3 to Aberdeen, and south on 101 from there to Astoria, then cut across on 30 all the way to Portland. It's several hours slower but way more interesting.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 3, 2022

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Fuel mileage CAN be good, my 750cc commuter gets somewhere between 60 and 70mpg, depending on how much freeway I'm doing, but you forego one of the big selling points of motorcycles: The possibility of Big acceleration/Big Speed. The idea that you're riding a machine that could rip to 200 in seconds, and the responsiveness that comes at lower speeds, is a feeling that sells bikes, so that's what the manufacturers make.

Heck even then, 30+MPG from a CBR 1000 RR is roughly double what equivalent cars get.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 23, 2023

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

Yes, the Prius of motorcycles is good on fuel, who'd have thought!

I might be the most boring man using two wheels to go down the freeway, but I’m having infinitely more fun than driving an actual Prius! Buy bike(s) that make you ride them as often as you can, a day spent on two wheels instead of four is a day well spent. (I realize this is a very American viewpoint, I’m sure I would feel different if we had functioning bike or transit infrastructure.)

My bigger point is that, explicitly for gas mileage, people tend to compare a 1000cc supersport to a Corolla, when they really should be looking at a V8 sports car at minimum. Cars built for an equivalent use case get nowhere near 30mpg.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is there a set definition for what a scooter is? These maxi scoots seem to start blurring the lines. Honda sells this weird thing but I always considered a classic scooter to have a CVT and the motor to be unsprung weight.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Lungboy posted:

The new Hornet 750 is a hell of a lot of bike for the money. Styling is generic as gently caress, but if you can look past that it seems a bargain.

They put a slightly differently tuned version of the same engine in the new Transalp, if you want the motor but would prefer an adventure bike.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

TotalLossBrain posted:

I need a recommendation for reliable, single cylinder mc/Enduro/maybe dual sport bikes 250-450cc.
I've been riding this 22 year old KTM for a few years now. Kids got newer bikes that never need anything beyond routine maintenance, but this stupid KTM sure makes up for it.
Old rear end suspension components, fork seals that never stop leaking, power valves that work 2 months out of the year.
I'm def getting rid of that bike. I don't want to put up too much money or finance a large amount, so I'm looking at used bikes. As I'm a short dude with a 28 inch inseam, most bigger bikes like that will gently caress me over. As long as there is an estart, that's cool - but I'd still prefer less than the Yamaha standard 39 inch seat height or whatever
I'm even considering selling the Monkey to make it happen. I don't get too many trips riding with the kids and it really blows when the bike does KTM things during one of them

If standard dual-sport seat heights are just too high, and you're OK with the extra weight and an ancient 5-speed 250, try to find a Yamaha XT250. (They're unchanged since getting reintroduced in 2008)

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

What bike should my friend get?
He got an ATV. I let him on my Kayo TT140, now he wants a dirt bike for trail riding.
He doesn't want to gently caress around with mechanical work or break downs so I think immediately that means japanese

Honda CRF250F

Kawasaki KLX230R, 300R, is the 140 a kids toy or is it OK for adults?

Yamaha TTR230, WR250F?

The difference between trail vs cross country vs mx is that the trail bikes are smaller, more or less, right?
Cross.country bikes faster, more comfortable, heavier, where MX bikes have probably enhanced suspension?

Probably shouldn't steer hin into a dual sport, right?

He is a completely new rider, but he hopped on my bike, was immediately shifting gears, etc.

Used dirt bikes here are a non starter, weird pricing on 10-15 year old bikes. People hang onto them.

He's thinking he's just gonna get something a lil nicer and finance if he has to and not get a cheap amazon special dirtbike.

What kind of trails are we talking here?

If he’s used to ATV grip, and does not care about going fast, you might consider a TW200.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've personally ridden an xt250 on I5/I90 to the local forest roads, and you can do it, but you're pretty much capped at 60 while going uphill to Snoqualmie pass.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Invalido posted:

Someone has drilled a hole in the front fender for something that's been removed.

I've seen people mount spare tube packs to the front fender with holes like that.