Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No way is that a 16K bike. SV it is then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can either be uncomfortable communing in Vegas heat on a CBR600 or you can be uncomfortable in Vegas heat pushing a Royal Enfield.

Either way it does not end with you being comfortable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aprilia has maybe the best swingarm game in the entire bike market. They always look cool as hell. It’s a weird thing to point out, I know, but they always stand out to me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A drz400, or a dr350/650 would probably be perfect for your use case. There is also the Honda XR650L that might be in your price range as well. Not sure if all of those were sold in Sweden or not though, sadly

Things like the KLX300 and WR250 are probably also about perfect for that but are new enough that they’re probably out of the price range.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wouldn’t buy a whole other bike just for wheelie practice, but if you do, cheap dirt bike is the actual answer, unfortunately.

I wouldn’t start on a 600 sportbike, they make no torque and have to be revved to the moon generally to wheelie

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah if reliability is key, you want one of the big 4 Japanese manufacturers

I get the sentiment. I have pushed far too many dirt bikes out of the woods in 90 degree heat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And then start in 2nd for that real 4-speed experience

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pffff, my 2002 Honda has that, by way of having a 1.8L 6-cylinder

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mega scooters rule. I miss my elite 250 every day

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sure the 650 burgman rips. You can also tune the CVT’s in these for low end or top end.

I had a set of rollers in my elite that made it really quick off the line, it was super fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, air filter is a real bitch. I do mine over the winter only

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

B-King

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

Goldwing - good luck

:hmmyes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I need you to understand that no matter the question, the b-king is the right answer

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I'm not an F1 guy but my understanding is the electric motors are used to help keep a turbo spinning and don't actually drive the car

It’s both. There is a motor/generator on the turbo shaft that the driver can actuate to alleviate turbo lag, and another attached to the crankshaft that can act as a sort of hybrid system.

Both of these charge a lithium ion battery pack when not in use and then tap it for power when requested.

https://motorsportexplained.com/formula-1-ers-explained/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bandit 1250 should definitely be on the list

These all seem fuel injected, so I’m guessing carbs are a no?

Did the ZX12R ever come with FI

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

I see more fat people on Blackbirds than any other non-Harley bike. Why is that?

Even if you weigh 350lbs it still accelerates like a 600 sportbike

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Settle down, punchy :toughguy:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I agree with you, that was more directed at everyone. Punchy, of course, being the foil to horny man Travis’s seat pussy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

morothar posted:

So while I’m happy with the Trident, it plain sucks in cold weather compared to the adv bikes I’m used to riding. Turns out naked bikes are… naked.

Hence I’m kicking around ideas which bike I might want to add to the stable that would allow for more 3-4 season riding. I’ve also found that the seating position on the Trident is borderline - if I hunker down too much, my lower back gives out.

So now I’m looking at my old haunt, GSs & GSAs, and even contemplating a Goldwing, though I’d have to check the riding position on one. ABS is a must, linked brakes preferred.

What else am I missing that’s no more than $10K for a 2013 +/-

I can speak from personal experience that goldwings are rideable until there is ice on the ground. By default they handle the elements great down to the mid-40’s or so, and from there to freezing it’s a matter of some heated gear and/or further wind blocking.

Newer goldwings can be had with factory heated grips and seats as well as air vents that open near your toes to pump hot engine bay air onto them.

Before I broke my foot this fall I was riding down into the mid 40’s without my heated gloves and last year I rode till there was ice on the streets with a couple days below freezing just using my heated gloves and keeping all the vents closed.

Let’s be clear, a car is the only way to truly be comfy at freezing temps, but a goldwing is probably second to that.

The riding position on a goldwing is very UJM. You are sitting upright with your feet under you, like you would on a UJM, essentially, just with a more upright torso position.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is a sick bike. Goongrats

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No notes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A parts pile is not necessarily a bad thing. I've ridden bikes for years that started as a parts pile

An aborted cafe racer project is the real red flag here.

However, a parts pile or a cafe racer project turned parts pile are no good for someone who hasnt wrenched on bikes pretty extensively before. The parts pile will require a lot of knowledge about general motorcycle assembly and design going into the project just to get it together.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Extremely. Because that’s a fantastic bike

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In the US? They’re a bit more rare. A lot of the dirt bikes were two stroke watercooled, but enduros tended to be air cooled

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is not too much to worry about on DRZ’s. They are very reliable and well built. For that age machine you should plan to replace the cam chain tensioner with a manual one, some of the early auto tensioners are known to have issues maintaining tension. Suzuki fixed it in later years. Also plan to loctite the stator bolts as they very rarely back out but when they do it takes out the stator and engine case.

The main thing is that they get ridden hard, so check for damage, bent forks etc. Also check for sketchy mods and use any you find to drive the price down further, although from that picture it doesn’t look like it’s really been messed with.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Invalido posted:

The CCT has already been replaced with a manual one unless I'm mistaken (there's a big hex head head sticking out of it and the color of the whole part sticks out as a replacement).

Yep, thats a manual tensioner

Congrats! DRZ's rule

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Horse Clocks posted:

You won’t regret it. Or you will, but you’ll mask it by referring to its 25 year old … everything as “Suzuki supremacy”, or suggesting any failure in it can be fixed with JB weld, and being adamant that “why do you need anything more than 30hp” or “I don’t need abs”

Then you’ll sell it, and eventually regret it.

This, but unironically

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s extra funny when it happens to a bike that costs more than a new Lexus and is supposed to be “the best bike available”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Post ur traffic infractions