Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

An ex250 is enough for everyone's needs, whether it's enough for everyone's wants is another story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

You also need new lines, and ideally the OEM ABS wiring harness. If he ABS unit is closely integrated into the ECU (Kawasaki does this), then it gets a lot more complicated. If the abs unit is just power/brake light/ignition/sensors then yeah, you could retro-fit pretty easily - I'm looking at roughly that price to put ABS on the Brammo but I will have to get custom lines/pump mount/reluctor rings made.

Z3n posted:

You also need new lines, and ideally the OEM ABS wiring harness. If he ABS unit is closely integrated into the ECU (Kawasaki does this), then it gets a lot more complicated. If the abs unit is just power/brake light/ignition/sensors then yeah, you could retro-fit pretty easily - I'm looking at roughly that price to put ABS on the Brammo but I will have to get custom lines/pump mount/reluctor rings made.

Custom ecu map for the Brammo to read the motor sensor and compare it to the front wheel speed, there is your rear wheel abs (and traction control) right there

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah 2k3 SV's are automatically worth slightly less than 04+ bikes. Everything that counts is still the same, but those one year parts are a bitch if you need them and can justify a price drop in my mind

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You definitely want to move from an i4 to a v-twin, that's for sure. Whether that vtwin is a Ducati or not depends on your tolerance for things Italian in nature

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deketh posted:

I do want a v twin but I'm curious why the opinion is generally that they're better?

No motor configuration is objectively "better", unless you take into consideration what you'll be doing with it.

I'll assume you want to use your motorcycle on the street, like 99% of us.

I4's can make big power but it's generally only at the very top end of their rev range, the other 80% of the rpm range is spent waiting for something to happen. Also since they rev so high they generally don't get fun until you're breaking the law. Also they tend to be buzzy and don't sound good unless you are into the sound of a civic with an exhaust on it.

V-twins are torquey, can be very revvy and are generally more fun on the street. If you're thinking about a Ducati, v-twins have the most soul, which is critical to Ducati ownership. Standardizing on v-twins is one thing the Italians got right, unlike most of the other stuff related to their bikes.

Parallel twins, despite technically being 0 degree v-twins are boring and generally lifeless motors. Apparently Yamaha makes a decent 270 degree p-twin that isn't terrible, but I'll believe it when I ride one.

Triples are awesome, but come saddled with a speed or street triple that you have to deal with. Please buy a GT750 if you want a triple.

Basically they all have their advantages and disadvantages, but for the average street rider a v-twin is hard to beat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also just for reference I went from a versys 650 (p-twin) to an SV650 (v-twin) this past year and despite both being fuel injected twins that make similar power and displace 650cc's they could not be more different

Cylinder config does matter

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thumpers I find are generally more fun because of the bike they're mounted in, rather than the engine itself

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I guess I should clarify, all of the things that I said about p-twins make them excellent beginner motors. It's part of why ninja 250's sold like hot cakes and are the de facto starter bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes the big stroms eat miles like candy and that one comes with some nice extras and a good price

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I do freeway commutes every day on an elite 250, a scooter that makes less power than the ninja 250. A ninja 250 is fine on the highway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

It's more just that the Rebel engine is really underpowered compared to the Ninja's. The Ninja 250 is water-cooled and (supposedly) makes around 30hp, while the Rebel is air-cooled and makes like 18hp.

I know a few petite girls who have Rebels and love them around town, but given the speed of traffic on the roads today I'd slot them closer to a scooter than a motorcycle.

Funny thing, the rebel is actually slower than the liquid cooled elite 250, which has 19hp. Magazine reviews of the time also noted that the elite 250 was quicker than the rebel 250 due to the cvt keeping it in the powerband most all of the time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

Ignorance is bliss. There is a reason people often go up in power and very rarely go down. If you havent ever had a 600+ you will be fine with a 250-300 and it will feel plenty fast for awhile. They arent wrong for feeling like its enough but they definitely dont have the full picture

I went from a Bandit 1200 to a DRZ400 and I don't regret it one bit. In fact, the Drz is the one I miss more.

Power is fun, don't get me wrong. The DRZ couldn't do 3rd gear power wheelies, but it's not a one way street, and it's not automatically more power=better than.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

People have had hayabusas and zx14's as their first bike and lived to tell about it. Still doesn't mean it was a good idea.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

My first bike was a 1973 Ossa 175 Enduro. It was a great bike to learn on. Took all kinds of abuse and it didn't matter if I dropped it either. Honestly probably the best bike to learn on is an old beater.

Yes, the objectively best bike to learn to ride on is a dirt bike and learn it offroad. You can/will dump it, and you learn how to deal with slides, loss of traction, bumps, ruts, picking a bike up, starting a dropped bike, and everything that a street rider also may need to deal with but so few are really prepared for.

Dirt learning best learning.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wear ear plugs. There are waaaaay too many variables to trust the helmets db ratings

As someone with tinnitus, trust me, wear ear plugs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turns out when you spin tiny parts at a billion RPM's they wear out quickly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

Sweet, I get to post this again

http://www.sccoia.org/articles/top-fuel-dragster-fast-facts/

"Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow."

I feel like some of this is BS. The supercharger compresses the air so much that it not only reaches liquid form, but nearly reaches solid form?

Also there is this: "The constituents of air were once known as "permanent gases", as they could not be liquified solely by compression at room temperature. A compression process will raise the temperature of the gas"

:colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok the hydrolock thing I can believe

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

for sale posted:

What is the hooniest street legal thing I can get for 4 grand in southern california, but doesn't require a whole lot of wrenching? I was debating on just getting some FZ thing but realized I just want a bike for fun and not commuting so I don't want to drop a lot of cash into it or spend a lot of time working on it. Btw i'm not scared of wrenching, but I just want something I can reliably take out and do dumb poo poo on twice a week or so. I'm guessing this is some kind of supermoto.

Also will a wr250r push my 250 lb rear end or is it going to be a little sluggish?

Buy a DRZ-400SM

Then do this: https://youtu.be/fYu7DQn5vAI

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If that person doesn't have a very specific, extremely detailed reason why the motor was replaced, along with a very good understanding of what replaced it, don't buy it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TLove posted:

Hey look I'm not trying to say I don't want to work on a bike. I do. But I was just looking for some recommendations to something that is respectable and easy to work on. I enjoy the vintage bikes and I'm sure they are more upkeep than something like a street bike or a Harley normally would but I'm at a loss of where else to look.

Edit: also I'm sorry thread, I came across as a dick in my last post I wasn't trying to start poo poo please forgive.

Scooters are respectable :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy the KLR, stick 4 grand in farkles into it and have 4 grand left over?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you want a bike so that you can know you've won the horsepower wars, get the husky. If you want a reliable bike get the Drz.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They're Chinese, so ymmv

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you want a vstar that seems like a smoking deal

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FirstPlayer posted:

So I'm looking for advice on my first bike. I'm 6'4" and a steadily decreasing 240 pounds, and my only actual riding experience is with the loaner Buells in the Harley Davidson learn to ride program. I prefer the aesthetics of sport/sport touring bikes, and while I obviously don't want to kill myself on something overpowered I'd rather not have to have the throttle cranked to hit highway speeds with a 5'6" 130 pound passenger (related: two-person capacity is a must). For budget I'd prefer to stay under $7,500 (that's probably high for a first bike but if there's something a bit nicer that would be a great fit and last a long time it'd be worth it to me).

Please help my ignorant heavy rear end figure out some options. :saddowns:

I'm pretty much the same size as you and let me say: NEW SV! NEW SV! ONE OF US ONE OF US

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Carth Dookie posted:

Suzuki 1250 bandit.

:same:

The Torque Couch™

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

builds character posted:

It makes me ashamed to see all these posts by people who have forgotten who they are.

You have two choices. Superduke or a 701.

When I think "good long term touring bikes" I definitely think "Ktm, husky, and supermotos"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BKING

Real answer: get a Yamaha triple maybe?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is the second thread I've said this in today, but BKING

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy the DR and enjoy an awesome bike and lower insurance

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hawg11 posted:

I want a sumo so bad https://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/6188894413.html :ohdear:

Edit:

Wrong thread, flame me

Please do not buy a 15 year old KTM supermoto. Only pain lies ahead.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When will people realize that triumph is British and the things that go along with that should be expected?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Liveries on bikes are awesome. My favorites being the Alstare GSXR's and the various John Player Special bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Joshimura exhaust!

It's like someone ran a Craigslist ad through multiple iterations of google translate

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Looks like someone is going to get really good at curbs and wheelies.

E: that appears to be a recovered gel seat, the profile is spot on anyway. The gel seat is garbage and the stock seat feels like a leather recliner in comparison. It's that bad.

Assuming that's actually the gel seat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

How is the suspension on the DRZ? What do upside down forks really *do*? I know nothing

It's good. Little known fact: the DRZSM was the first street bike ever to come from the factory with high and low speed damping in the rear.

You may need to restoring for your weight like any bike, but the suspension itself is very adjustable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Fo rizzle? That blows my mind.

Why is it so mediocre in every other way???

It's not really in any other way than peak horsepower?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fickle poofterist posted:

I'm going in to put deposit on a drz sm tomorrow morning

You're all making me think about it again after it took me weeks to decide it's what I wanted :argh:

DRZ's own. Buy it. Wheelie past broken down ktm's but know in your heart that if you had a ktm you could have done that wheelie a gear higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Look, I'm Suzuki superfan #1. In my mind most all of their bikes are either good or great. I love Suzuki for real, non-ironically and in real life.

Do not buy a katana unless it looks like this. Full stop.

There are only a couple of bikes in suzukis history that are objectively bad. The 2nd generation katanas are one of them. First gen katanas are fantastic works of art (see above image), which is perhaps part of the reason the later ones seem so poo poo.

The RE5 is the other "do not buy" Suzuki. Every single other model they have ever made has at least some redeeming factor.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 5, 2017