Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
So I'm looking at picking up my first bike and found this on craigslist:

quote:

1982 Kawasaki LTD-440. 72,995 miles. Black. everything works. Asking $250.00 Call Gary if interested.

Would this be a good starter bike? Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? Anything to look for?

Edit: Because it's relatively late out here and I don't want to piss off the guy who could potentially be selling me a bike. His rear end is getting a call first thing tomorrow morning. I'm going to head down there, give him the money, and figure out how to get it home after it's mine.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

He bought it, was terrified, lived through 1k miles of assorted weekend jaunts and trips to the gas station and back, and eventually parked it and forgot about it. That's usually the story that ends up coming out. Or, conversely, their first big close call came up at 1k miles and they hung it up.

This seems to be spot on the money. Around here there's at least one posting a week for a low millage sport bike with features like:
123 miles
Slight body damage

and sometimes

Will trade for a sportster. (For those guys who decide because their old fat boy had a 1200cc in it they're more then ready for "some jap bike with half the inches".)

And at least once a month:

Bike is pristine, my kid bought it, I'm taking it away.

In fact there was an '08 R6 up for sale yesterday with less then a 100 miles on it... for 5 grand. Looks like the guy bought it, drove it for about 10 minutes and had a minor lowside (one fairing is scuffed). The thing still had the paper plate you get from the dealer on it.

In fact that should be another reason to warn people off the more powerful bikes as their first purchase. If you don't wind up dead you wind up terrified of motorcycles.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

. . . Cuz I'm stupid? And it's with the intention of music, not phone. But yeah, it's mostly because I'm a dumb nerd who is all "Oooooo, moar tech = BETTER!". This lining in this thing is removable, it was something else that I really wanted that drove me from the $100 helmets into the $300 helmets.

I'm going to go ahead and jump on the "Don't use that helmet for a while band wagon". Think about how crap you will feel if you have a ten mile an hour lowside in your MSF and trash it? Also while the BT would be nice for music you're going to have to crank the poo poo out of it to hear over the wind/road noise. Which is fine for a while, but after a few years of that you and your ears aren't going to be on the best of terms.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+helmets/hjc_cl-sp+osiris+helmet+-+snell+approved
Dot/Snell aproved, you can pop the liner out in a bout five seconds, and the face shields pop of and go in like butter.
$80.

I just grabed one so if I have to use my own helmet during the MSF and trash it, well I'll only be kicking myself for a day or so.

Add in a good pair of noise canceling ear phones and you'll be saving cash and have what's probably a better solution.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for some high tech helmets to start hitting the market. I mean imagine it, a little HUD projecter will give you all your instrumentation on the inside of your face shield, you GPS will be tied in to give you a visual overlay of where your heading, voice activation will allow you to control your phone and music player... It'll be sweet as hell. I'm just willing to wait until it's cheap as hell too.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

I'll take all that into consideration this summer. I'm not about to buy a helmet online, though. I have a funny-shaped head, so stuff like this I want to try on before I buy.

I went to a cycle gear store near where I live. I got fitted for stuff there, and bought online. I'm going to pick up bits and bobs there just to not feel like a complete rear end in a top hat.

If you aren't taking the course until this Summer definitely shop around for killer deals.

Going into this I was budgeting about a thousand for gear.

So far I'm at:
Brand new Teknic jacket $100
Brand new Teknic full length gloves - $35
Helmet - $80
Boots - $70

and the overpants I'm going to pick up are about $115.

That means I just saved the first year of my insurance.

All of this was bought online, all of it fits great. Once you get a good idea of what you fit into you shouldn't be afraid of buying online, it'll give you a better selection of sizes/brands/options then any of the local stores is likely to have. In fact the place I did all my size checks at would have had to special order me boots, as they didn't carry clown shoe sized.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

I could do that, but I've got ethical problems with that, for the obvious reasons.

I have a new Teknic jacket as well, it was one of the few things I found that actually seemed to be long enough for my arms without hanging off my body like a tent. It wasn't cheap either, total cost for both this jacket and the Nolan helmet was like $550.

As for boots, I'll probably just keep wearing these: http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/ItemDisplay.asp?Style=102494&CategoryID=33 I've been wearing them as my only footwear for years, an am currently on my second pair. They've saved my ankles in many situations before, and held up admirably through an Antarctic winter.

Yeah, the ethical thing is why I'm picking up little things at the Cycle Gear (Socks, leather care products, repair manual, etc.). I'm figuring consistent small purchases should make up me not buying the A*, Dainase, and other brands I can't afford.

This may just be part of my clown shoe sized feet (I'm usually a 13 to 14 depending on who makes the shoe), but I had a tough time working the shifter on my dad's sportster in my gently caress off Mack truck steel toes. Between the sole, my foot, and the extra space of the steel plate they were just so drat deep that it was a real pain working through the gears with those. If you can shift comfortably with those boots you linked more power to you.

If not jafrum.com has all sorts of boots for reasonable prices.

I grabbed a pair of these:
http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Boots/Mens-Motorcycle-Boots/MB2600
and the toe portion is easily an inch and half shorter, which buys me some much needed room. Also for a pair of cheep shoes, the ankle support is pretty good and the construction is way more then I thought I was getting for $50. That site has boots of different styles, sizes, and price points.

I don't really know why I keep posting, I guess I just don't want you to dump like $5k into a bike, gear, and training only to decide that you don't really enjoy riding.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
I thought that the difference in power deliver between say... a 600cc I4 and a 650cc v-twin was due to the number of cylinders and therefore the displacement of each cylinder. If you're comparing a 250cc v-twin with a 250cc parallel twin I wouldn't think there would be a whole lot of difference in power development or delivery. But I may be completely wrong.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

8ender posted:

I just looked it up and realized the 1200cc Sportster engine only puts out 70hp. How can an engine so big put out so little power :psyduck:

For comparison my 1977 650cc Kawasaki is rated for 64hp.

My dad's first bike was/is a HD sporster. It was originally an 883cc motor (EVO) which he swaped the 1200cc jugs into. I've tooled around on it a bit in a parking lot, and it really feels like the engine is set up to give a nice reasonable torque curve regardless of where you are in regards to gear/throttle. It's not about to smoke anything but he picked that bike for two reasons:
1. It's a Harley (his ego is too small to take the ribbing from the other guys down at the Elk's lodge for showing up on a bike that didn't come from Milwaukee).
2. It's very forgiving. As long as you aren't asking anything unreasonable from it, it won't put you into a nightmare situation like a sportbike or a road-king can. Grab too much throttle/brake? That's cool, we can work with that. Come in a little to hot or cold on a corner? No prob, mang, we'll get through this.

Not a terrible choice for a beginer really, just don't try to keep up with your palls on the sv650 or ex250 in the corners and you'll be fine.

That said, it's not the most reliable piece of machinery out there. The EVO has fewer issues then any HD motor in history, but for the amount of riding he did on it, I thought it spent an inordinate amount of time in the shop.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

MrZig posted:

I'm looking into getting a motorcycle this spring and I went to a dealership yesterday and was trying on some helmets. Was looking at an "Epic" full-face helmet and a guy came over and said that I can have it for $50 as its one of the last ones left from last years stock. It was regular $199. Thrilled, I bought it to use as a backup/passenger helmet (it was a little big).

Anyways, the guy asked what bike I had; I told him I didn't have one and he told me about a 1981 Honda 650 in really good condition that I could probably have for $900.

Would that be a good starter/beginner bike? I havn't looked at it yet, but I might on Tuesday. Apparently it has an inline-4 giving out 63 hp. If the bike checks out ok by a mechanic or such, is it going to be too much bike for a newbie? (I've never been on a bike.)

God I hope not, because I'm picking up my first bike, a 1982 CB750 next weekend. Right after my BRC.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

100 Years in Iraq posted:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=5549122&cat=144&lpid=4 This is a little on the big side, but it's comparable to my CB650 and they're pretty forgiving bikes

I got this exact same bike yesterday. It's my first cycle and seems like it'll be a great machine to learn on. However after the 250s in your MSF it will feel like a boat made out of tanks.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

God-damned Pilates posted:

It is important to emphasize how fat the CB750 is. With the 250, you can kind of throw it around like it was a bicycle at slow speed, and it's very forgiving in this way. If you stop paying attention at slower speeds, the CB750 will decide it likes the ground. A lot. Just be sure you're conscious of this at all times and practice counter-leaning in a parking lot before really going at it. The seat is a lot broader than the MSF bikes, and it takes a bit of getting used to if that's your only experience.

It's also not a Nighthawk as of '82. It becomes one in '83 (different tank/tail fairing) and promptly disappears in '84 to make way for the CB700SC, which is a pretty sweet bike in and of itself.

Make sure the valves are properly shimmed (I went as close to .005 all around as I could, and ended up closer to .006; err on the side of loose), you sync the carbs, and change the oil frequently and you should do well with that bike.

Actually everything I've read about my bike says that 1982 was the first year for the CB750SC "Nighthawk", at least according to Wikipedia and http://hondanighthawks.net/750.htm.

I figured since the bike was in decentish, shape and was offered to me for a $1000, and had some rarity value (only year they did the blue frame plus being the first year Nighthawk) I figured even if I spend another grand over the next year or so getting it in shape I'm ahead of the game.

And yeah, this thing is way, way, way heavier then the 250 Nighthawk I rode in the MSF. I could probably bench press that bike if I had to. This thing feels like it would break my leg if it went over at a stop light.

Besides eBay and Amazon do you have a good resource for shop manuals for this thing?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

xREED LORD 420x posted:

any opinion on this?

The old VFR motors are notoriously hard to work on. That said the V45 in that bike has comparable output to the CB750 you posted earlier. The Magna also has a six speed gearbox and looks to be about 50 pounds lighter.

Parts are probably going to be harder to come by as well. However I would think that the Magna would probably have a slightly higher resale value, all things being equal.

Both bikes are have around ~66 hp, and meet most of the criteria for safe beginner bike. If the 750 didn't I wouldn't have gotten one for myself.

Just make sure it is a V45, not a V65, as those bikes were stupid loving fast (for a while some of the fastest production bikes in the world).

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

kdc67 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Magna#.22Specifications.22

It is a cruiser, but it isn't. I'd say it's like Suzuki's GS L series. It is pretty. It might be ok, but don't be fooled into thinking it's like every other cruiser. Its dry weight is only 482.7 lbs. That's not really a number that's going to bog down the hp much.

If you looked where it was positioned in the VF series of bikes, it very much is the cruiser. The Saber was the standard, the Magna the cruiser, and the Interceptor was the sport bike.

Even the v65 Magna was a cruiser. A cruiser that was capable of a reported 186 miles per hour, but still a cruiser.

Doesn't mean you can't do suicidally stupid poo poo on it, but it's probably not a terrible choice for a beginner ride.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Stoic Commie posted:

Fair enough. In other news I found this. It's the 1983 one year wonder apparently.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/1074688430.html

I already spoke to him, it has 14,528 miles, freshly cleaned and synced carbs, new tires, and comes with a 650 motor for parts. Clear title as well.

Unless you guys have any objections this looks like the perfect deal.

I have that bike's big brother (1982 CB750SC). Great bike. The only think I would recommend is as soon as you get it home do the brakes. Two sets of pads for the fronts and new shoes for the back should run less then 80 bucks.

I'm doing mine later this week and will post a write up if you're interested.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Stoic Commie posted:

That would help a ton. Is there a problem with Nighthawk brakes or something?
Beside mine being 2 years older than I am? Not really.

Mine just feel really soft and I have no confidence in them, so I'm putting on some organic pads and new shoes. I think this is going to be my rule for any bike I buy that isn't brand spanking new.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Gnomad posted:

If they feel soft, I'd change the brake fluid-a good idea on a yearly basis anyway. New fluid and a good bleed should give you a nice firm lever.New shoes and pads won't hurt at all either.

Oh, the feel of the lever is fine. It has a very nice, positive, engagement. The issue is the brakes just don't really feel like they're biting. I'm sure they're serviceable but I had a get off due to my lack of confidence in being able to make an emergency stop (I'm pretty sure the bike would have been capable of what I needed it to do, I just didn't have enough confidence in my equipment to make it.)

The new brakes are almost as much of a mental thing for me as a mechanical thing for the bike.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Gnomad posted:

You want bad brakes? I got your bad brakes!

I have a Honda CM400 in the fleet, which I have been considering selling, figuring it would be an ideal beginners bike.

Problem being is that the brakes are terrible. The CM400E has drum brakes, the shoes appear fine but the brakes are just about useless. My concern with it as a beginners bike is that if the n00b needed to stop quickly, it won't happen on that bike-and I have this feeling that it would be irresponsible to sell a bike like that to a new rider.

If I wanted disk brakes, I'd have to do a Comstar wheel swap, and I refuse to do that to the bike. Wouldn't be kind at all.

If you lack confidence, I would second the motion for you to do what you need to get it back. Lack of confidence makes for nervous, unpleasant riding.

Are the drums themselves glazed? I thought the CM400 was a little bike, I would think drums on it would be enough to stop it. But kudos on not unloading it on a beginner. Having no brakes is no god drat fun.

You mentioned a disk swap, off hand do you know what's required to convert a rear drum machine to rear brakes? I'm thinking it's just a matter of finding a rear wheel donor with a rotor, fitting calipers to the frame, and maybe swapping in a new MC for the rear (I don't know if my bike has a separate MC for the rear or if it's all run off the one on the bars). But if it's so simple I would assume that everyone would have done it by now.

A bad brake story of my own:
My first car was my grandpa's '69 Nova. My folks shelled out some decent cash to have the interior redone and a nice paint job on it, but did nothing to it mechanically. It has drums all around but the system is so shot (I'm thinking issues with the MC and all the lines) that I had to bleed it on a daily basis to keep it semi functional. Why they gave a broke rear end high school student (and then broke rear end college student), with only a socket set to his name, a car with no brakes I'll never know. I eventually had to shelve it as it just wasn't safe to tool around a busy college town in.

That thing is still in storage and hand to god, when I have a garage of my own it'll be re-restored and have a proper braking system in it. Till then it gets to quietly get a little shittier every year in some rent-a-shed lot.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Gnomad posted:

Depends on the bike, and if there was a version of the bike that used a rear disk.

Usually the caliper mounts to the swing arm, so you would have to fab up a mount or use the disk brake swing arm. You'd have a seperate MC for the rear brake and mounting that would take some patience unless you had the disk brake version on hand. And after all that work, you'd find that your braking capacity hasn't increased by much since the rear brake is still only 30% on a good day. If I wanted more stopping poswer, I'd be more inclined to mount another disk to the front.

Ahhh. Good to know. I already have a twin rotor setup up front, so unless I start moving into exotic waved or cross drilled set ups there isn't a whole lot for me to do. And if I find myself needing superbike braking on my 27 year old standard I really need to reevaluate what I'm doing.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Stoic Commie posted:

So you don't think the oil leak is a problem then? Oh and it also needs brake pads and rear brake shoes. Is taking off the rear tire and changing the shoes going to make me want to kill myself?

My Clymer manual should arrive tomorrow so I'll be able to let you know tomorrow night.

My '82 has an ugly rear end oil leak from a bolt on the head, but that's all it is: ugly. It losses about a teaspoon a month and that's about it. As long as it doesn't start leaking oil like an AMF era Harley you shouldn't be too concerned.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

pr0zac posted:

All bikes are either cruisers or sportbikes no exceptions. :colbert:

I guess you guys are right tho, its not really a cruiser. The picture I looked at was deceptively cruiserish though. I blame wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Honda_CB750SC_Nighthawk_1982.JPG

My point still stands, its got rather relaxed geometry and not too much power.

I too vote a Triumph Bonneville or Scrambler is the best choice though.

Hey that's my bike! Just way prettier...

The first DOHC CB750s are weird because it's clear that Honda had no loving clue with what they were going to do with them. You had a sport variant (the F) the standard (K) and the will-pass-as-a-crusier (SC, aka Nighthawk). The Nighthawks have that rake to the gas tank that looks very cruiserish, but retain the standard seating position.

Great bikes that you can find pretty cheap.

I used the 250 Nighthawk for my training and I have the 750 for my bike. Honestly it's not bad, but it's much, much heavier then the 250.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Simkin posted:

As has been posted a few times already, hunt down one of these.

Were those even sold in the US? Because god drat those are gorgeous bikes.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Not to take up your time, but if any other model names for compact UJMs in the 400cc-ish range jump to mind, it'd be great to have those to consider as well. I do like Brit bikes, but they seem both pricier and/or more of a hassle to maintain (though the Ariel and Matchless small models are loving gorgeous). So I figured a good, reliable compact UJM would be a good compromise.

Honda built a CB in the 400 range, which aren't that hard to find. Also don't count out the 600-750 cc bikes. They're not too big and pretty common.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Simkin posted:

Maybe in and around California, but certainly around here, if it's running, it starts at CAD$1000 and goes up from there. The last two project bikes that I took on - an 85 VF500F (didn't run, needed divine valvetrain intervention), and an 88 CB450S (nothing wrong, actually, just ugly) - were $850 and $1050 respectively. That's buying in the off-season, as well, so the price on a runner during the :airquote: riding season :airquote: will of course be a tad higher.

Works both ways, fortunately. :v:

TTFA lives in Texas. Over there, and here in Arizona, the riding season lasts roughly from January to December.

TTFA: have you thought about changing the rear sprocket on your Nighthawk? Going up a tooth or two will probably give you more top end speed, at the cost of acceleration. You can also look in to re-jetting and a less restrictive exhaust (the 250s have a 2-2 exhaust right?) to see if you can pick up a few more horses. If you want to stay small and cute, there's no reason you can't just try to get a few more Ms per H out of your bike. You may be able to get comfortable highway performance out of it for much less then buying a new bike.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Yeh, I hate to sound like a yuppie rear end in a top hat, but I really suck at anything mechanical that's any more complicated than cleaning an M16, or hosing out the carb on a moped.

Given that it's a better use of my time (since I wouldn't enjoy totally rebuilding a bike) to spend those hours doing profitable labour and then just give the cash to a mechanic, I'd rather just spend a little more for a running bike in the first place.

I don't know if it's CA heresy to admit this, but I'm mostly interested in riding the drat thing, and not too fascinated by maintenance above and beyond fueling, oiling, and inflating the critter.

If you can properly disassemble an M16 and put it back together there's probably a fair bit of stuff you can do to your bike. I says this as the AR 180s and 15s I've played around with seem to be about as mechanicly complex as my '82 Nighthawk. I still need to post pictures of the brake work I did on mine last weekend but it was ridicouliously simple. A shop manual, an $8 socket set from Autozone, and about an hour of my time was enough to swap out the front pads. Which I did in the parking lot of my condo. All I need is a little piece of tubing and I can bleed the bastard and start bedding them in proper.

Also: If you go for that bike on Ebay, you may want to call the guy and make sure he's cool with hanging onto the bike for another six weeks. Freeing up some floorspace/getting their SO to stop bitching about the drat thing may be as big a reason to sell as the cash.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Is it heresy to ask for help buying a new bike?

I have an 01 sv650s that I love, but I think I'm going to convert it to a streetfighter. loving plastic fairings! I'd like another bike though.

I thought about maybe something like a Honda Shadow Aero. As you guys can tell by my roadtrips, I love the long haul.

I was also considering something in the sport world also, but nothing like a GSXR or anything, maybe I need to sit on a few.

Honestly, around here a sv650s is an exotic, I'd like to keep with the "different" theme.

Long hauls... Sporty... Long hauls... Different...

VFR 800 ahoy!

It's a sport tourer with a Moto GP pedigree.

This is going to be my third or fourth bike, once I've got a few years and a few bikes under my belt. It seems to be a real jack of all trades bike.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

n8r posted:

A VFR would be a good option but it doesn't look like they offer the ABS model here in the states. It's probably not worth the effort to try to retrofit it.

The only other options I could think of would be a BMW of some sort - maybe the 800ST - but that's probably not sporty enough for what you are looking for.

VFRs have had optional ABS for a while. Even before that became an option they've had linked brakes.

Fake edit: ABS became available in 2002, with linked brakes for a while longer than that.

I've read reviews from American publications that indicate that we do in fact get that option over here.

Speaking of linked brakes: Are there any major downsides to that set up for those of us who aren't racing? I've heard complaints from people who like to go really fast that they don't like the fact that the rear triggers when they grab the front, but I don't see myself ever doing more than "moderately spirited" riding on the street.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

I'm not sure if I'm being pedantic, other folks are being dumb, or if I'm just not grasping something.

Very roughly speaking, the difference between "cruiser", "sporter", and "standard" is the posture of the rider based on peg position and handlebars, right? If the pegs are forward that's a pretty major component of it being a "cruiser", right?

Looking at Craigslist and eBay, I see a ton of standards described as "cruisers", some cruisers listed as standards, some standards listed as sporters, etc.

Am I not grasping the difference, or are tons of sellers unfamiliar with the terms, or are they just calling standards "cruisers" because cruisers are the trendy thing now and they want potential buyers to think of a CB500 as being just a cheaper Harley?
Your right and wrong. Yes if you legs are down and back is straight it's a standard, if your legs are forward it's a cruiser, and if your legs are down and your body is leaned over the tank it's a sport bike.

The problem is "standard" isn't a term people are familiar with. For 99% of the population a bike is either a cruiser or a sport bike. Is there more chrome then plastic? It's a cruiser. Does it have clip ons? It's a sport bike. It's a binary situation for most people.

EDIT: Question 2:

For Honda and Suzuki, is mileage or age more important? That is, is a CB450 '71 with 5000 miles a better buy than an '82 with 20,000 miles at the same price? For both brands, is there a certain "do not but Japanese bikes made before 19XX", so far as quality/reliability/parts go? I guess I'm asking if I should shy away from buying a 1970ish Japanese bike with low mileage (and that by overall condition looks to have low mileage, as opposed to just fresh odometer).
Trick question. Like any vehicle maintenance is more important then either. I'd happily buy an older car or truck where it's clear that the owner took care of it and didn't let skip on repairs. A 1995 Civic DX with 200,000 on the odomiter that never missed an oil change or a tune up is probably more reliable than a 2005 model with half the mileage that was beat to piss by the owner. A 30 year old bike with 5k on the odo means that it's barely been run, which probably means that all the rubber and seals and what not are rotten. A 30 year old bike with 10k put on it in the last few years means there's a decent chance the current owner has done at least enough maintenance to make it road worthy.

As for avoiding certain model years... that's why you do your homework. Even the best model lines occasionally throw out a turd. Maybe they tried something new that year that didn't work, maybe they changed suppliers and it turned out to be a mistake. Find out where the people who enjoy that model hang out on the internet and start asking questions. They'll usually be pretty honest as everyone likes to share their hobbies/addiction.

EDIT: Question 3:

For Honda CBs, if I value lightweight/manuverable/low-maintenance, should I stick to the twin versions in the CB series, or is there no reason to avoid the 4-cylinders?
The smallest I4 your likely to find is the 750. (I know, I know, they did a 650 for a while but those are harder to find and harder to get parts for.) While I really enjoy my CB750, lightweight isn't a term I'd ever use to describe it. It's heavy to the point I can't get on the centerstand myself, and I'm a pretty strong guy, and it has a high COG that makes low speed manoeuvres... exciting.

If you want lightweight/manoeuvrable look for a twin. We never got the same selection of small I4s the rest of the world did.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Not at all, I liked the 450 from the first it was mentioned, and your post was just more confirmation of that. It seems to be basically just what I'm looking for.

Not quite sure how to go about this though, being that I won't be up in that area for 5-6 more weeks. Should I maybe just make an offer to PayPal a deposit (since I can dispute the charges if he fails to hand over the bike) and see if he's willing to take it off the market and sit on it for a few weeks if I pay asking price? The fact that he's been trying to move it all month might help me there.

Minor sidenote: is it easily doable and/or advisable to replace the bars? They just seem really high/prominent and I wouldn't mind something a bit lower for control and flash. Is that a common and acceptable mod on bikes like these? Is bar changes (and replacing the appopriate cables/wires) pretty much a "any fucktard with a proper toolbox" job?

My only concern is that a smoking deal shouldn't hang around for a month. I'd be wary of handing him cash to hold it only to find that he left out something important, like it needing "just a little tlc", or "it's just a gasket", or "it will sexually assault your loved ones in their sleep while you can only watch in horror".

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

What's their frame of reference then? All manly-men must ride literbikes, bare minimum, to keep from spontaneously ovulating?

In my MSF class when the instructor asked "so what bikes are folks planning to buy?", aside from me (250cc) and one middle-aged guy getting a scooter, everyone else was getting 600cc, bare minimum.

Most of the older guys planned to, or already had, some Harley in the 700cc or better range (including one guy who couldn't ride at all yet but already had bought an 1100cc), and easily 6 of 10 <40yrs guys there insisted they were getting a GSXR. Then again, I'm curious how much of that was macho bullshit, with most of the young guys buying small Ninjas or whatever.

Don't confuse displacement with power. My bike is a 750cc and I'd be willing to be a Ninjette would be a fair bit faster then mine in most situations. Warning people away from the 600cc and 1000cc super sports is more a function of how forgiving a bike is to mistakes rather then a big=bad kind of thing.

My dad has a 1200cc Harley. You accidentally grab (or chop for that matter) a handful of throttle or go a little hard on the brakes and the bike remains relatively manageable. On, say, and older GSX 1100 R (similar displacement) there's a good chance doing either of those things means your going to rapidly be on one wheel.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Nerobro posted:

The idea is right, the example is wrong. 34hp is 34hp, no matter how you cut it. A ninja 250 will be spanked in almost any situation by your 750. You have more like 70hp, and a bike that doesn't weigh twice as much. on top of having this thing called torque....

Now if you wanna have some real fun, look up the stats on a NSR250, or RGV250 or a RS250, and compare those to your 750 :-)
That 1200cc harley, has about as much power as your 750cc honda. (given stock power numbers)

My favorite example is comparing a Harley 1200cc motor and a ZX12 motor. 70hp versus 190hp.

Power is power but gearing is gearing. Ninja 250s have a six speed with closer gear ratios then my five speed. Looking at the numbers I'd be faster in the quarter but the Ninjete is catching up by that point. I'd be willing to bet that it would be a straight brawl from 60-100 or so, and after that my bike would have a fair bit more to accelerate.

Google says my bike is two seconds faster for 0-60 but only a around a second faster for the 1/4. That means somewhere in there the Ninja is accelerating faster then I am. And that's all straight line stuff, throw a few corners in there and it would eat me alive.

And yeah... my dad had a fair amount of work done on his 1200 (it started as an 883) but is only developing about 88 horses at the rear wheel. Those bikes are meant to go slightly over ton up but that's about it.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

HAY!

Hahaha Groovy man. We'll have to meet up one day and you can ride my sv around.

And if he's anywhere around Phoenix he should check out my CB750... then buy an SV.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

blugu64 posted:

I'll do it for half, and stay in cheaper motels.

Actually I'll be passing though phoenix tomorrow (saturday). If you want to ride north to the grand canyon shoot me an email blugu64@gmail.com

poo poo just noticed this post. Probably too late, and I don't have enough experience to ride that far anyway.

If you're still in the Phoenix metro area and want to check out the bike the offer stands. I've sent you an email just now.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

blugu64 posted:

All good man, I was booking it hard today. When you're ready for some insane roads, let me know, I found some stupid great roads in arizona.
Did you get a chance to run through Canyon Lake? That was fun on a bun in a car, I can't wait to become proficient enough to do it on two wheels.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

I'd also mention that difficulty and cost goes up if you've got a bike that was less common. It's pretty easy to restore a basket case bike where there were loads of other bikes, spares on ebay, and a big community who knows about the common problems and fixes for the bikes. Not so easy when you've got some oddball one off.

This is so true. A mechanic buddy of mine has been bitching about working on "Satan's daily driver", a 1959 Ferrari Spyder California, for the last month. Apparently it's a real bitch to track down parts for a vehicle of which only six were ever built.

See if they guy can tell you what the model is, and then start checking parts availability, both online and locally. If you have a good bike salvage yard nearby you may want to start checking the bone piles to see what they have. If you're going to ebay everything you want to be really confident that what your ordering is for your model, year, and any options on your machine.

Edit: There should be model information on the frame/motor. If not you may be able to figure it out from the VIN.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 17, 2009

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

I'm so angry that I missed the days when Vincents were available for a relatively reasonable price. Maybe now that the economy has crashed prices will come back down and I'll have the chance to one day own one. Ideally, it'll be about 10 years down the road when I have enough money and have damaged my body enough that supersport bikes are no longer appealing. :xd:

Aren't there still a company or two out there who make the Egli-Vincent bikes? Obviously reproduction, but still using vincent motors and the Egli design.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Simkin posted:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1135810527.html <- Oh god, don't look at this one, you'll want it for yourself.

How the gently caress do you make a bike from 1987 look like that? If I wanted a 250 like that I would have to go out and buy a shiny new one. Does anyone know if an older Ninjete has been done like that? Because that is a stellar looking little bike.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

It's just a tail conversion and a nice angle. The rest of the bike is still vintage 250.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people do tail swaps and the angle of the top of the tail doesn't even come close to matching the angle of the tank.

I think there's more to it then just a tail conversion:

Check the shape of the side and front fairings. It' looks like they too have been replaced, as the orginal doesn't have the little creases that make it look like an insect supermodel.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

DiscoKid posted:

The hunt for my first bike continues.
Today found me on a 40 mile goose chase after work, finding a rusted out Kawasaki 750 in a barn that I couldn't back away from fast enough... "wanna take her for a spin?" Not with it leaking gas all over and belching smoke, nope, not so much.

But then, craigslist has a 83 550 nighthawk for a decent price, after playing phone and email tag this afternoon I get through to a middle aged lady who's concerned I can't make it when her husband is around, but will let me come on Saturday morning when he's working, and "oh and I'll just schedule those other guys to come later then" :D I'll take it, with the way even semi-decent old bikes in the 1000-1750 range have been snapped up by the time I call, now I get first dibs on what looks to be a real nice bargain.

edit: the more I look it up and check it out, the more and more I like it. If it's in good shape and they take cash... it's all mine. After reading up on it, the 83 550 seems to be a limited run bike with a sizable audience, and if this one's in as good a shape as I've been told, it's exactly the UJM I've been hoping for :)
Also you may want to check out your local dealerships and see what they've taken in on trade. On a whim I swung by a Harley dealership yesterday to see if they had any Buells. In the back they had a pretty nice 1996 Nighthawk 750. It's so much lighter then my bike... they were willing to do it for wholesale too, which isn't that bad.

But that 550 could be a very cool little bike. Should have decent power and be much more nimble then it's bigger brother.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Gstu posted:

Since completing the MSC in January I've spent a lot of time looking at and thinking about motorcycles. With this (terrible) semester of college winding down, I've been looking more and more attentively, and decided I want to buy my first bike once classes are over. Now, the "what to buy"...

I have almost no riding experience, just the MSC essentially. I commuted almost entirely by bicycle last semester, and have driven over 60,000 miles with only one ticket and no accidents. I consider myself a good (and very attentive) driver. On to bike stuff:

I spent a lot of time looking at a lot of bikes. After sitting on a few, and thinking about the riding experience, I decided that something a little more sport-bike like was what I wanted to go with for my first bike. My best friend rides on a 600cc almost super-sport, and when I rode it briefly the only thing I didn't enjoy about it was how twitchy and jumpy the throttle was.

I would just buy a sport bike with a smaller engine, but the issue is the drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix, which I make around once a month. Most of the speed limit on the I-17 is 75mph, and one can easily spend most of the drive traveling over 80mph, something I wouldn't particularly want to do with a 250cc sport bike.

So my friend suggested an SV650, and after researching it I'm pretty sure that's what I want. It's light and maneuverable enough for me to feel comfortable learning how to handle and corner on it. It's got an engine that I'll enjoy taking on the more open freeways that I drive, but the V-twin aspect of it means that it will be less likely to throw off a new, inexperienced rider.

Any serious concerns about the SV650 as a first bike? Any other options or suggestions based on the reasons I listed above? 6 have been posted on Craigslist in Phoenix in the past month, all with varying mileages and prices, but most of them seemed very reasonable.

Are you based out of Flagstaff or Phoenix? If you are in the valley I suggest checking out Bob's on 16th street. They usually have a few handfuls of bikes for sale at reasonable prices. I'm planing on pulling a Ninjette out of there this summer.

Some of their prices on salvaged goods are unreasonable (140 for a new insturment cluster? :didwegetridofthe"awhellnaw!"smilie:) But the staff is pretty helpful and they keep a fair amount of consumables in stock.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Perfzilla posted:

So, I was all set to buy a big, fancy HDTV when I saw this Craigslist ad tonight:

http://westslope.craigslist.org/mcy/1143410544.html

Pertinent information:

I have never owned a motorcycle.
I don't know how to ride a motorcycle.
I want a motorcycle.
I want a new TV.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular motorcycle? Am I getting into more than I want to deal with in an older bike? What are the most important questions to ask of the seller? Any help/advice would be great because I don't want to talk to this guy and have him peg me as an easy sell.

EDIT: Seller is asking $975, KBB is $1045.

I know there's a few people on here with CB/CM 400s, and they seem pretty positive about their machines. I own the bigger cousin of that bike and I'm pretty happy with it (want to move to an actual sportbike as soon as I can, but still pretty happy in the meantime). If you do get it be ready to replace pads, fork oil, and it's coming up on valves if they haven't been done already.

Also if you don't know how to ride I would suggest taking the MSF first. At that point you can decide if you actually want a bike. If you don't love it, don't do it, because it's silly to get killed doing something you like.

Big honking edit: Don't forget gear. Figure up to a grand for your gear. If you bargain hunt you can do it all for pretty cheap (I did it for a hair over $500 while still getting name brand, quality, equipment) but you absolutely need boots, pants, jacket, glove, and helmet. It makes no sense to protect one part of you just to feed the rest of your body into a meat grinder.

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Entreri posted:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/1143536715.html

$1500 seems too good to be true. Does anything about this ad indicate something wrong with the bike?

Seems reasonable for a Ninjette. However... "Plastics a bit rough" + NOS sticker probably means the bike has been down a few times.

NOS stickers are like the barb-wire tribal tattoos of the automotive world. I guess their cheaper then a flashing LED panel that says "I'ma douche!", but they're just not as subtle drat it!