Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm brand new to motorcycles and looking to buy a naked bike that rides like a sportsbike, just without the flashy plastic fairing and whatnot. Since I'm new I don't want a ridiculously powerful or expensive bike - I would prefer a used but reliable bike. I like the look of both cafe racers and newer naked sportsbikes, I just have no idea where to begin looking.

Looking to spend up to $2,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Haha, why would somebody offer more than the list price for the bike?

"Say, that price you're asking for is too low! Would you be willing to take more?"

Congratulations on getting the bike, but it sounds like you got walked all over.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

My buddy found a 1983 Honda Magna VF1100 for $600. Electrics work except for rear right blinker. Runs and idles fine. Tires are good. Needs new battery and the wires get hot around the battery/rectifier behind the right side cover. It's also apparent these wires have been crimped or soldered back together.

Thoughts? My friend doesn't want to put a ton of money into a cash pit, so is this bike reliable? 36,xxx miles.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 14, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

soy posted:

Yeah, if it weren't for my brother in law being good at that kind of poo poo I'd probably just get a car.

If you REALLY just want a cheap vehicle for convenience, I'd strongly think about whether a motorcycle is the right choice. Now, this is coming from somebody who absolutely loving loves motorcycles and would rather spend the rest of his life on one than ever touch a car again...but that's kind of the thing. There are so many hassles with commuting on a bike and owning one and doing maintenance that unless you actually wanted a bike other than for pure convenience it'd be tough going.

That said, I'm sure that a lot of people start out like you and grow to love riding. I'll reiterate what everybody else has said in that buying a reliable bike and good gear right from the start is very important. Don't be that guy that just buys a helmet and then assumes he'll be alright for now and will "get the rest later."

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Shlomo Palestein posted:

They're in entirely different price areas. A CB750 can run anywhere from $800 to $3000 reasonably (though the earlier bikes and pristine examples go for more, but if you cafed one of those I'd probably stab you). A new Thruxton is (last time I checked) closer to $8.5k. You'd have to cafe the CB using gold bars to make it cost that much. Even the used Thruxtons around here (MA) start at $3k shagged. It's not a fair comparison.

That's not even taking into account the fact that he wants to upgrade the suspension and other bits on the Thruxton, setting the price even higher. If money is no object, and you want a bike like a Thruxton but sportier, get a Ducati SportClassic 1000S.

If you want to spend under 10k but can spend over 5k, get a Thruxton. Under 5k, get a CB750. Ta-da.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

What's everybody's opinion on the mid-90s Honda CB1000F?

It looks like a pretty tame naked literbike at 90 something claimed horsepower, which is actually as much as my '83 Yamaha Maxim 750 had. I have a friend that will sell this to me for around $3,000 or a bit less in perfect condition. Is it worth it? I know they're pretty rare in the States but had more of a following in Japan.

I really want a bike that will handle well in the corners but am willing to think about bikes like this because 1000cc's of power is fun, too.

Edit: Whoops, my Maxim only had 80 something horsepower.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 15, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Nerobro posted:

You're looking at more the difference between say, pentium, and pentium mmx.

Holy poo poo, I haven't read or heard the phrase "pentium mmx" since like 1997.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Oakey posted:

Tsaven, are these just random people's bikes you've been sitting on or did you go to a store? I would never recommend buying a bike from a store but they're great for getting a really good idea of what fits you well.

Just curious, aside from bikes being more expensive from a dealer, what's so bad about getting a bike from them? At least you can be confident that it's not a piece of poo poo that will die in 500 miles.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Overpriced Balloons posted:

But, if I can get something I like and will enjoy owning, why wouldn't I?

Do you have garage space to work on your motorcycle? If not, getting a bike made before 1990 may be a gamble, especially because, at least in Connecticut, a lot of bike shops won't work on 80's bikes. Also, you won't need to spend anywhere near $5,000 for a used older bike. More like between $1,000 and $1,500, depending on the bike and the condition of it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

How much should I expect to spend on a mid-90's sportbike like a GSXR-750 or a CBR600 in good condition (i.e. requiring nothing to be roadworthy). If it makes a difference I live in CT and will be buying at the end of February/beginning of March. I realize that they may not be the most comfortable option for an everyday bike but I feel like I won't be satisfied until I get the chance to ride a legitimately-sporty bike, in contrast to the standards and such I've had until now.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

geometree posted:

I'm a girl. And the bike I linked to, according to the shop that's selling it, is mostly new I think. "Absolutely everything on this bike has been replaced by something new, besides the frame and crankcases" says Austin Mopeds. If you follow the link, it's actually a pretty rad rebuilding. I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped pricewise if that's the route I go.

Thanks for the craigslist ads, but those are all scooters. Would that be better suited for me, being a first time rider? They seem awfully.. cumbersome, I guess. I've never ridden one though, so I'll wait to form an actual opinion.

The scooters linked are definitely not cumbersome. They're small and light and ideal for light city travel. Not fast enough for highways or anything over 40, really.

The Puch is a scooter, just with a frame that isn't "step-through." If you actually want a motorcycle, and you want something that looks sporty, you can't go wrong with a Ninja 250. Or an older '80s bike that you can put cafe bars on to achieve a similar look to that Puch scooter.

I don't think that Puch is a great idea unless you're good with mechanical stuff because that is a highly-modded one that is old and running at way higher-performance than originally intended, so it'll probably be unreliable at best. Anything built for a racetrack is not going to be great for commuting.

If you like the vintage look, I'd go for an 80s bike around 250cc and put cafe bars on it, and you have a sweet little cafe racer that will be fine for a new rider, if a bit uncomfortable.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 25, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

geometree posted:

That's a good point about the mechanics, I hadn't considered that. I have zero experience with things mechanical aside from my bicycle and was hoping to learn how to do some basic repairs myself, but messing around with a modded bike is probably not the best place to start.

Not to mention it's kind of a specialty machine that is overpriced for what it can do. You could literally spend a fraction of that on a machine that can do so much more.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Nerobro posted:

MOST mopeds are actually a bit less useful than scooters. Mopeds generally are single speed machines. Scooters usually have a CVT, and therefore are a good bit quicker for a given engine size.

Fuzzy, why are you recommending making a bike uncomfortable? That just makes no sense at all.

Because sometimes people enjoy riding bikes that look awesome, and cafe'd bikes look awesome. That Puch looks cafe'd and I didn't know if that's what she was going for. Nobody ever accused cafe racers of being ergonomic, but dammit they look badass. Since when was sensibility ever part of riding anyway? :)

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

So I finally pulled the trigger on a bike. 1994 CBR600 F2, 9,000 miles, well-maintained. Fairings have been painted flat black and it has a D&D exhaust. New Michelin tires, brakes, and fluids. Also has frame sliders. No damage.

$1500, did I do good? What should I know about the bike?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Psylocibe posted:

I saw this bike for $800 OBO, dude said bring cash and see what happens. i'm getting my tax return soon and was toying with the idea of offering 500 bucks cash and see what they say. I had a bunch of my rider buddies say this would be a decent learner, but then I went and looked up the specs for the V4 and it seems like it might be a little too powerful? What's the consensus? i thought it looked pretty nice for less than a grand.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Looks like it definitely needs new tires, so add that to your budget. Looks like the clutch lever is broken, as well?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

Yeah, my helmet is a flip-face, so I'll usually flip it up and take off the gloves. If I'm inside for a period of time I'll probably take the helmet off.

I think I listed that in my "Things you love the poo poo out of while riding". Walking into a shop or someplace wearing some absolutely outrageous clothing, and having everyone stare at you like you're some kind of a weirdo.

I personally think color-matching your gear with your bike looks a little goofy unless your bike is white or black. I do love me a flat black bike with all black gear, though. Or a white bike with black gear, or vice versa. Hell, black gear looks good with everything.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

:siren: DO NOT BUY A BIKE WITHOUT A TITLE :siren:

Unless you just want it for parts, at best you're going to enter a bureaucratic hell trying to get it registered, at worst, you'll never be able to re-title it and end up parting it out.

Unless you live in Connecticut which allows you to register bikes 1981 or older with no title, just a bill of sale. Finally, something good about my state.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Lathe Operator posted:

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-750K-W0QQAdIdZ188094210

I was looking at buying my first bike and need some advice. I've heard good things about Honda CBs and I was thinking that this one looks pretty cool. I just don't know if it's a good deal. I feel like 1800 is a bit much to ask for something like this. But I don't really know much about bikes so I can't say for sure. I emailed him and he does have the original handle bars so I won't have to use the cafe bars.

Can anyone give me some advice so I don't get hosed??

1800 is a bit too much - that kind of price is reserved for CB's in pristine condition and stock, of which that is neither. And I wouldn't pay much more for the "cafe" work done to it seeing as it looks like the guy only did bars and an aftermarket pipe.

If the bike works and everything on it checks out, I'd say between 700-1200, depending on how good your negotiation skills are, how desperate he is, and what the local market is like.

Read the Used Bike Evaluation Guide (http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html) if you haven't, yet.

Also, the CB750 is a pretty heavy first bike. It's also on the upper-end of power for a newb. If you've got a good head on your shoulders the power should be manageable for you, but make sure you know what you're getting into with a heavier bike like that.

The big things I'd look for in an old bike like that are to ask the seller questions about maintenance to gauge how well he took care of the bike, and I'd carefully look at the tires and current fluids.

Edit: Oh this is Canada. I'm not 100% sure on what the market value is in your moon money, so I guess add a small amount to my estimates?

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 19, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Jabs posted:

Where?

Seriously, dude?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

My buddy had an '85 VFR1000 back when they were considered sportbikes and not sport-tourers. I liked it, it was really big, though - I could barely get a toe down and I'm 5'9".

The only newer VFR I like is the 2007 Anniversary edition, that poo poo is hot.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

The Wonder Weapon posted:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/1679175045.html

If it runs smoothly, what do you think, $1500? 17?

I bought a 1994 CBR600 for $1500 with 10k miles, but with a couple issues, back in February. I think $1500 would be a reasonable price for that bike, definitely not over $2000. Sweet purple seat.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

ButtFaceMcCrackin posted:

Just saw this 87 ninja ex500 posted on the craiglist in my area. I feel like the windscreen would be a minor fix but this would be my first bike and I have no idea about repairing carbs. Anybody have any experience with the carbs on older ninjas?

No experience with those carbs in particular, but I don't get why people just throw away bikes if it really is as simple as simply installing the carb rebuild kit they already bought. They went through the trouble of replacing the filter, plugs, oil, etc., so why not finish the job?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

$1500 for a farkled but well-used KLR650 + three-month-long road trip.

This guy has the right idea. Clapped out 90's sportbike and a year's worth of trackdays.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

SV's are great starter bikes if you respect the power they have. At 60hp, they're at the upper end of what a new rider should have, but if you're responsible with it you'll be okay. I wouldn't spend more than $3000 or so on a first bike because you will drop it and you will feel terrible. Get whatever's cheaper and remember that on Craigslist, it's almost expected that you barter down. Not sure what the bike market is like in your area but I'm confident that I could barter down either of those bikes to around 2700 at least.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

What's everybody's opinion on the Ninja 650R? My dad bought a 2009 after 30 years of not riding. I rode it home for him and thought it was quite upright, especially for the sporty looks of it, but it handled gracefully and seemed well-sorted out. That said, it still seems a bit of a budget machine, with non-adjustable forks and limited adjust on the rear shock. Even my 1994 CBR is more tune-able.

But hey, I shouldn't hate. The thing starts right up, is nice and quiet, and actually blocks wind from your head. All things my bike does not do.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Maybe the guy is stupid and got a ridiculous insurance quote and assumed that was standard for newer bikes. There is no super-expensive liability with owning an SV.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Typik posted:

I'm actually new to motorcycles. Looking to buy a sport bike but don't have the money to "Start" at 250 and slowly upgrade as I get better, but like most I also don't want some super fast death machine.

So I was looking at Ninja 500s, and Ninja 650s, but thats only because thats really the only bikes I know anything about. I was hoping to get some extra suggestions/info on other bikes.

I plan on riding very frequently, and when I can, take long distance trips (By that I mean from dallas to hot springs Arkansas, at best, really.)

I want something that will last me for a good lot of miles, and is very dependable. I don't necessarily have the cash to spend on a touring bike, in fact, I'm still saving for my first SPORT bike, which is alright as I'll have the money to buy one soon enough, but I need more suggestions on what bikes I could look at, as a starter bike, but not SUPER low on power, and able to go a good distance, sort of frequently.
thanks in advance for any help

Of course you have the money to start on a smaller bike and upgrade, silly. Here's how it works. Take MSF class, get license and appropriate gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and pants). Buy Ninja 250 or some other less-powerful bike on Craigslist for around $1500. After a year of riding, flip the 250 for....$1500 and buy a better bike. IT'S MAGIC

Also, I wouldn't classify Ninja 500s or Ninja 650Rs as "sportbikes," since the seating position is so upright and they're not exactly made for racing. That said, Ninja 500s or Ninja 650Rs make acceptable beginner bikes if you're mature enough to handle the power. Other good ones to look at (if you're on a budget) are older UJMs from the '80s. Another bike that's comparable to the Ninja 650R (and a forum favorite) is the SV650, which is also a twin cylinder boasting around 60 something horsepower, right at the upper limit for a noob.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 8, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

For a beginner, no, there's no big difference between the bikes. They will all feel fast to you, they will all do pretty much anything you need them to, and they will all be quite a bit faster than you are as a rider for a couple years at least.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Depending on the year, you should be able to talk the seller down to $2,000 or maybe $1,800 if it needs some stuff. When buying a bike, try to have a friend that knows his poo poo or at least read this: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Common stuff that needs replacing on used bikes:
-Tires
-Brake fluid
-Oil and oil filter
-Chain and sprockets
-Brake pads
-Battery

If those items check out, you can confidently pay $2,000 or so for the bike and know you got a reliable machine. If some of those things need replacing, reduce asking price accordingly.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Well, it's been down and it has gay underbody LEDs but if there's no other crash damage and the consumables listed above look good, I'd say somewhere in the range of 2,500 is a good price. And by the way, that's the SV650 "S" version which has lower bars and more rearset pegs for a sporty riding position. The standard SV650 is a bit more upright and with no fairing, but there's no big difference between the two, it's up to preference.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

It is probably not a big deal. Any drop, even a stationary one in a driveway, could result in cracking plastic fairings. He doesn't say how the drop occurred so it was probably while moving (be cynical when it comes to Craigslist :( ) but if there's nothing else bent such as pedals, handlebars, and if you look down the length of the bike and everything appears straight, you're good to go. You can even ask him to ride it and have him take his hands off the bars to see if it rides straight.

For the chain, just push up on the middle of the bottom length of it - it should move about an inch upwards. Make sure there's not any rust on it. Tires, observe for any cracks or if it looks extremely squared off or worn down. Treads should be a decent depth. Squeeze the brake lever - it should firmly resist after a bit of travel. If it goes all the way to the handlebar it needs new fluid. Twist the throttle and ensure that is travels smoothly and firmly snaps back to neutral. Sit on the bike and push down on the front and sit heavily on the rear to see how the shocks react. I think that's everything, phew.

Oh, insist that the bike be cold when you look at it so you can see it start cold. A lot of problems go away once a bike is warm.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Rontalvos posted:

I am so tempted to buy this purely because it may be the prettiest thing I've ever seen.

http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/1732813348.html

Same bike I have. Asking price is decent, although to really see the condition you'll need to take the fairings off. 1994 is the model year you want, for sure. It comes with fully-adjustable front and rear suspension (including cartridge-style forks).

The bike itself is very comfortable. The clip-ons mount above the triple tree and offer more upright ergos than most modern sportbikes. The pegs are comfortable but on the other hand are also fairly low for a sportbike - I switched mine out with Woodcraft rearsets and it helped me get my knees all the way up to the tank easier and provided more ground clearance.

I would definitely be confident buying that with the no-bullshit ad and the clear pictures taken by the owner.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

No, no, no, and no.

Most likely that he crashed it at some point, but he could have replaced it for cosmetic reasons. I prefer handlebars on streetbikes, they have a much less aggressive setup and are more comfortable and easy to toss around.

I've put a bunch of miles on a couple different bar setups:

Cruiser-style bars on a Yamaha Maxim
Low clip-ons on a Kawasaki ZX7-R
Cafe bars on a Honda CM250
"Normal" handlebars on a Kawasaki Ninja 650R
High clip-ons on a Honda CBR600F2

I think my favorite set-up for the street would be the clip-ons mounted above my triple tree on the CBR. It lets me tuck down if I want to, ride fairly upright if I want to, and is still easy to do slow-speed crap as well as high-speed cornering. That said, I've always been a sport-oriented rider and even with cruiser bars I was constantly trying to tuck in more.

Easily the most uncomfortable setup was the Maxim's cruiser bars. I swapped those fuckers out for superbike bars almost immediately. Terrible control, made my wrists hurt, and forced you sit stock upright and take that wind right in the chest, all day long.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

That is a tricky combination, because to be a beginner's bike it has to be pretty small and cheap, and but also big enough to be comfortable on a highway for your requirements, as well as take offroad. I'd say get something as light as you can like a Ninja 250 and it will probably do well enough in easy trails if that's all you want.

More dirt-oriented bikes include the TW200 and DRZ400, but they're not great for highway, and the DRZ isn't particularly cheap. Ask Tsaven what happens when you take a streetbike onto aggressive trails.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Moonbloodsflow posted:

Wants to get bike.

You should be signing up for MSF yesterday to get your license and then worry about picking up a bike. With that said, even the KLR isn't great on the highway but I think it's the best option out of the ones you've listed because it's cheap, parts are cheap and plentiful, and it'll handle a variety of surfaces adequately.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Triumph Bonnevilles are right at the upper limit for power for a noob (60ish horsepower) and are a tad heavy for one as well at 450lb. I would say it would make an okay beginner bike but there are cheaper, better options that you can learn on and then get the Bonneville once you get all your stupid rookie drops out of the way. We've endlessly discussed this topic on various threads so look around for what we recommend for new riders.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

You can also consider the Speed Triple, which is the literbike brother of the Street. It boasts better suspension and brakes, along with obviously more torque and power, at the cost of a higher MSRP and slightly less flickability. As has been said before, there's also the Buell line for naked sportbikes. And you also have the Z1000, which compared very well with the Speed Triple in road tests.

If you have lots of cash to burn there's also the Ducati Streetfighter.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm really thinking my ideal bike setup is having a Speed Triple as a streetbike/daily ride, my current F2 as a trackwhore, and a DRZ400SM for the weekends.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

No doubt my F2 is comfy...for a sportbike. A standard streetfighter like a Speed is still way better, though. My neck starts hurting after about 60 miles.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

A Speed Triple isn't a streetfighter.

Uh, yeah it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Speed_Triple

Sportbike with handlebars and no fairings. Yes, technically streetfighters are faired sportbikes that have them removed, but it's a factory streetfighter.

Edit: Also http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2006/07/triumph-speed-triple-mean-mutha.html and http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2009-streetfighters-shootout-aprilia-tuono-1000-r-buell-1125cr-triumph-speed-triple-87798.html

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 18, 2010