Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If you get that bike, I promise you will absolutely love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I don't have that particular bike, but I do have a 100hp sportbike, and it's an incredible amount of fun. If you have a soul, you will think so too.

Honda's motorcycles have a similar reputation for reliability and longetivity as their cars.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Z3n posted:

Maybe I can just get my motorcycle listed as a "Implement of Husbandry". Yes, I till them fields with this racebike!

Throw some knobby tires around it and chase the cows around the pasture. Sounds like a hell of a good time to me.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
As long as the title isn't one of the missing parts, that's a hell of a deal.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Zool posted:

Silky Thighs posted:

A friend of mine is selling a 2002 Kawasaki ZX6R, 13,000 miles with helmet/jacket/gloves for $3500. There's no damage to it, and only some minor scratches. I was thinking of getting it for next summer.

Any thoughts? All the stuff also matches, which is a plus..:P.

Looks exactly like this...

Edit: Has it up on craiglist

http://utica.craigslist.org/mcy/853259932.html
Those headlights are gross.

Those headlights are also incredibly powerful. I have an '08 ZZR-600 and it has the best headlights of any bike I've ever seen.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yeah but it's a Yamaha so it's got like 8 ft-lbs of torque. As long as he keeps it below 9000 rpms, it'll be the functional equivalent of a parallel-twin standard.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Triumphs are not as expensive as everyone says. The new ones are priced completely on par with Japanese cruisers and sportbikes. They are also a lot more reliable than any Royal Enfield you will find, even fresh out of the factory.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You can extend your upper CC limit to 900, if you're only looking at cruisers. Kawasaki and Suzuki both make excellent 900cc and 800cc cruisers, respectively, and they should fit someone of your height/weight quite well.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The V-Strom is ideal for long-distance touring. Every time I meet a V-Strom owner at an interstate rest stop, they insist that it's the best bike they've ever owned and they all have 40,000+ miles on them.

EDIT: It's also one of the only bikes that is actually proportioned for us 6' tall ogres. If they weren't so drat ugly, I'd own one.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I hear parts for Aprilias can be very, very hard to get. Just sayin'

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MrZig posted:

The turn signals dont work at all, because the fronts are missing. The seat is torn. The horn does not work. Maintenance history is unknown and it has a rough idle.

The turn signals and horn don't work because that bike is a big basket of electrical problems. Yamahas of that vintage usually need a thorough re-wiring.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The Suzuki Boulevard (800cc) and Kawasaki Vulcan (900cc) are both good choices for a larger guy. I'm afraid you may never comfortably fit on any motorcycle, but give it a shot.

fake edit: V-Strom

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Prince posted:

Well I just bought a 1981 (1980?) CX 500

Its my first bike. Got it for $2200 AUD (thats a good price for Australia, please don't remind me how much they are in the US!).

They're not too much cheaper in the US:
http://gainesville.craigslist.org/mcy/1028702479.html

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I've ridden my friend's Daytona 675 a few times. It's actually the reason I bought a 600cc motorcycle. It's a really great machine. Small, super-powerful, and truly beautiful. However, the seating position is extreme enough that it becomes really uncomfortable at low speeds. I definitely wouldn't use one for commuting or touring.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Helibars turned my ZZR-600 into a very comfortable sport-tourer. I highly recommend them for any street-use SS.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Ugh no. It could be free and it wouldn't tempt me.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Please tell me these don't suck outrageously! It's compact and cute as hell, puts out 36hp (compared to 20 for my Nighthawk CB250) and just generally has awesome looks. With some straight or clubman bars it'd be awesome as hell, and it's still big enough to ride 2-up.

Anyone familiar with these bikes?

I know it looks all polished and pretty, but most old Yamahas are just big baskets of electrical problems. That said, I would love to own that bike. I would kick-start it every chance I got.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
YOU FORGOT THE VEEE-STROOOMMMMMM.

The ultimate 90% road, 10% dirt bike.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If you like that bike, google a Honda CX500. Looks just as good, but it's not an unreliable piece of poo poo.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You should ride a literbike, because you might not want one afterwards. After 3 years on a cruiser, I rode my friend's ZX-10 and decided it was way, way too much. Now, I think even my ZZR-600 might have a bit more power than I'd like.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It's expensive for what it is(well, maybe not for your area), and prone to god-awful electrical problems.

Almost any bike will have no problem getting a 250lb rider up to speed. 79hp isn't extravagantly high, but it will definitely scare you the first time you wring it out.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

So I don't quite get why folks need 70+ horsepower, outside of being on a track. Hey, free country, so I'm not against their having more, I'm just a little confused as to why 40hp is considered barely adequate when it gets you up to 100+mph on the interstate, and even my little 20hp can dust plenty of cars from a dead stop at a red light.

Some day you will discover how much fun balls to the wall acceleration really is, and you will be confused no more.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Is your brother a proficient electrician? If not, he will be after fixing that thing up.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

VERTiG0 posted:

New bike time!

I'm looking at middleweight naked standards, these 5 in particular, and are all 2009s:

Suzuki SFV-650 Gladius
Aprilia Shiver 750
Kawasaki ER-6N
Triumph Street Triple
Ducati Monster 696

What would you guys do?

The Triumph, because it is significantly faster than any of the others.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

talking_head posted:

I'm a fat guy. I'm 5'10", and 240 lbs.
Would you guys recommend the sportbike, or the cruiser-type?

Feel free to go up to 900cc as far as cruisers go. I started on a Suzuki Boulevard M50 (800 cc) and it was ideal. As for what specific bike to get, buy whatever moves you emotionally.

The cc limit is mostly to keep MAD TYTE STUNTAZ YO from killing themselves on race replica sportbikes.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

UserNotFound posted:

front tire original

No way this is true. Also, non-running bikes don't make the greatest first bikes.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

BlueBayou posted:

I really like the look of my bike:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/30/3024b648b2a713fedfc181b4e3a57a8f022d0128.jpg

Namely that is it naked and has an old fashioned look to it.

Anybody got any ideas?

Have you checked out the Honda 599? It's not "old fashioned", but it is pretty good looking for a standard.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Hirayama posted:

What's the general consensus on the Daytona 675? I sat on that blue and white 2010 SE model yesterday and, aside from being an rear end-killer, it was glorious.

I rode a friend's Daytona 675 and it convinced me to switch from cruiser to sportbike. Little did I know that not all 600-class sportbikes have the awesome low-midrange power of the 675.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Okay this is more promising:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/1273345923.html

Yamaha XJ650 Maxim. I don't know anything about this but it looks decent, runs, and very reasonably priced. Is that a good bike for someone 5'6"?

When you check it out, pull the seat off and look at the wiring harness. If it looks like a hack-job rats nest, save your money. Unless, of course, you enjoy fixing electrical problems.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If you haven't taken the MSF course, you're definitely asking for death. If you have, it's a pretty contentious grey area.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

PlasticSun posted:

The main thing you give up with the DR, DRZ, XT, XR etc is that they're all carbureted meaning you'll need to bring spare jets and rejet the carb somewhat frequently if you want to have descent power going over the 5000 meter mountain passes that are along the route.

On a 5000 meter Andean mountain, descent power is the last thing he'll want!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Deadpan Science posted:

Sorry, I meant the starter bikes mentioned earlier:

Ninja 250
Ninja 500
GS500
Sportster 883
Suzuki M50

The last two may be more what I'm looking for, but they seem to be more expensive. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra for a learners bike.

I had an M50 for my first bike and it was awesome. I rented a Sportster 1200 about 9 months after I bought the M50, and while it was faster, it horrendously uncomfortable.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^Depends on what state you live in. Some insurance companies will report you to the DMV and make you turn in your tag as well.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

dw06WU posted:

What do you guys think about Victory bikes? I've been thinking about getting one of those. I love the huge 250 rear tire on them and the modern styling. I also sat on some and they fit me pretty well, they are designed for pretty big guys.

Anecdotal evidence suggests they are pretty reliable. A friend of bought one new and put 80,000 miles on it. It's still his primary ride.

The new ones look completely friggin awesome, too.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Probably because of their wholly underwhelming 650cc engines.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^ And you get to tell the leather vest crowd that your bike is part Harley.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I don't say it to impress the leather vest crowd, I say it to troll them.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Those roads are nothing. I do grass driveways and grated sand roads on my sportbike.

However, every V-Strom owner I ever met thought their bike was the absolute greatest thing on earth.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Hot Buttered posted:

Any of you guys have any experience with the first gen Yamaha FZ1? While my Duke was awesome for city riding, I now live in the middle of nowhere in the Florida Panhandle, land of very few curves and lots of highway riding. After 20 minutes at 70 mph, the Duke vibrates so much that my hands, feet, and rear end all go numb. It's like torture, and totally sucks all the enjoyment out of riding.

So I started checking Craigslist for bikes in the $2500-$4000 price range, and was surprised to find a couple low mile 2001-2002 FZ1's around $3K. I remember how much all of the mags raved about these things when they came out, and they seem purpose-built for the sporty-touring slant I'd like to use my next bike for. To be perfectly honest, I don't really feel like I need this much motor. I've never really ached for mor power out of the Duke. But as long as power delivery is fairly sane, I think I'd be fine. I lust after new Ducatis, but need to come to the realization that owning something like that won't happen anytime soon. So, how is that era FZ1? Anything else comparable at the same pricepoint?

Hey you. Yeah, you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=2#post366971657

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Hot Buttered posted:

drat. Too bad that's on the total other side of the country. Always liked the styling on those bikes. Need to sell the Duke first anyway. Unless she considers it to be a supermoto, then......drat. Why's it gotta be on the west coast?

You said you live in the panhandle? I live in Gainesville, FL.