Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

http://lansing.craigslist.org/mcy/902603589.html
This is a pretty sweet looking SV650, and the price is right, mostly because it's a salvage bike. Should I even bother looking at rebuilt bikes? Is there a rule of thumb, other than "avoid'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

The 2010 Aprilia Shiver is looking pretty badass. There is an Aprilia dealer near me, too. What kind of reputation do these bikes have? I assume they are competing with the Monster and Gladius?

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Commodore 64 posted:

I've been looking for my next bike and I've got it narrowed down to a few options. The ER-6n and Gladius/SV650 are my first two choices, but they're in high demand/short supply where I live. However, there are lots of FZ6s and it meets my basic requirements (sub $5k, fuel injected, 600cc, made in the last decade, standard position).

Should I consider the FZ6? Is it less reliable, harder to work on/ get parts for, more finicky than the others I'm looking at? I'd like to get an ER-6n or SV650, but I may have to wait at least a year to find a decent used one.

FZs have a center stand and a half fairing, and are pretty easy to work on. I've got almost 12000 miles on mine, and it's never had a problem that I didn't cause. They have a higher ground clearance than the SVs, which I would argue makes them better for commuting and hooning around in the countryside on crappy roads. They don't have the aftermarket community for farkling to the extent that SVs have. Definitely a solid choice.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

metallicaeg posted:

I'm considering a Ninja 1000SX to replace my aging FZ6 that I've kinda converted into a sport tourer, and by converted I mean I added a comfy seat, tank bag, Shad rear box, and soft side bags. Riding triangle on the big Ninja looks to be similar to the FZ6, and I don't think I'd have much interest in the upright ADV-style "sport tourers" like the Tracer/Versys/GSX-GX.

I think my biggest hesitation on that is that I already ride like a buffoon with a 95hp 600, that extra 50hp in the 1000 will be wild

I did exactly this a while back. I loved the Ninjas motor; it has way more power and is a better highway bike. Its also MUCH heavier. I couldn't throw it into corners like the FZ. The I wrecked it and got a Speed Triple lol.