Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
What kind of UJM should I be looking for as a beginning rider? I really want an old Honda CB 550 or something, but it's really hard to find anything that's not a new superbike or dirtbike around here. There's a '79 CB750 not too far from me, but that seems like a little too much power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

Nerobro posted:

But.. I want that ktm. :-(

What kind of ujm is ... a weird question. UJM is already very generic. You'll need to poke around your local craigslist and see what's available. Check out the horsepower of each.

I would push you towards a kawasaki or suzuki. Through the early 80's yamaha's have very flakey electrical systems. And the XS400's tend to drop timing chain guides.... If you can find a GOOD, running, pretty, honda, I can recomend those whole heartedly. Do not buy a honda as a project, you will hate life.

I suppose it is a weird question, I meant as in the older CB series bikes or older bikes with a standard/sporty riding position (aka not a "cruiser"). Basically an older bike like pre-90's or 80's. I think you got the meaning anyways, as that is the kind of advice I'm looking for, what brands to watch out for and what's easier to take care of.

Where can I get the HP of older bikes? I check Wikipedia and Google a bit and find all sorts of pretty useless info.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

kdc67 posted:

AkrisD, where are you located at?

Hampton Roads Virginia, my friend. Thanks to all the military bases around there's always a steady stream of brand new supersports that never get ridden, plus the riding season is fairly long. I did see an 82 gs450 that doesn't run(idle) today on CL, maybe I'll check that out.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
ARGH! All these great bikes are popping up on my local craigslist now instead of when I had the drat momey to afford them! Curse you lovely work schedule and/or crappy economy! Within 30 minutes of me are 3 Ninja 250s all less than $3k and less than 5k miles on them. Then there's the Ninja 500 and DRZs and GS500f for less than 3500 practically brand spankin' new!

edit: Hampton Roads, Virginia for anyone close who wants to see a few good deals (for this area).

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

Z3n posted:

Buy a DRZ.

Speaking of the DRZ, what's everyone's consensus on the fairly new WR250X? I realize the DRZ has been around for a million years, but the specs are almost equal on both with the 250 being made with newer tech. I could never get a good reading from other boards because they were always bias towards one or the other depending on which section it was based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
I was going to get one of these for my first bike when I was 17, same price and in supposed great condition but after that falling through my dreams of owning a bike did too. Now I'm 24 and want to actually get my first bike, this just popped up on craigslist

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/3032601635.html

Thoughts, CA?

Edit: I just watched the video with sound on and it sounds awful. Maybe it's just the camera, but unless it's a Ducati the sounds it was making are :(

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 23, 2012