Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Does anyone in here have an opinion of Kikker5150 motorcycles? They are super-cheap and I can probably build the kit on my rooftop and carry it down the stairs (I think they're like a couple hundred pounds dry) and I really want another bike to ride. There are a couple dealers around here, so I have seen built ones and they don't look like cheap parts, but I don't expect to get a totally impartial opinion from anyone at those shops. The thing that worries me is there is a bit of talk on various forums about them being a hassle to get completed due to missing or ill-fitting parts. The dealers I talked to said this wasn't a problem for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Gnomad posted:

I just took a look at them, interesting, they have potential. I already have a CM400, and now you have me thinking about dropping the 400 motor in a hardtail bobber frame. I would think that a person would never be all the way done with such a project though, and no doubt you'll be fitting and fettling stuff. All part of the fun!

Too true, which is why I considered them in the first place. I could get in cheap, hone my build skills, and then unload it when I'm ready to move onto something a bit more involved. It has the added benefit of getting my brother to work on it with me, as he's not a large project kinda guy. I think I could talk him into that though.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I'm about to take my MSF next weekend, and I was talking to a guy at my local shop about potential bikes. He said that the KLR650 (I think) might be good for me. comfort-wise. I'm looking for something I can ride around town for a bit (to get my riding chops) and then take on trips eventually. I'm 6'5" and 285. Is he feeding me crap? Any particular bikes I should look at? Anything I should definitely avoid (other than the obvious like GSXRs and Hayabusas, etc.)? I'd like to keep it newer, as I don't yet have the time to put into maintaining an older bike.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Simkin posted:

Nope. It's almost as much of a pain in the rear end finding a bike to fit big bastards as it is for the midgets - except that where they only have wee little things like the 250 ninja and CBR125 to lust after, the whole spectrum of gigantic dual sport/adventure bikes is opened to you.

The KLR would definitely be a good starting point, though - just don't buy a new one, for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I definitely won't be buying a new one. They happen to have a nice used one there for cheap anyways, so that might work out great. Thanks Simkin.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

What is a good price on used Ninja 250s? There's a 2007 about a half mile from my apartment for $2500, but I can probably get it closer to $2200 as it's been up for sale for a couple months and he's already dropped the price from $2800. Unsure on the number of miles, and he claims it is bone stock and in good working order. No evidence of being dropped/laid down. KBB says 2575, but it appears to be the only used 250 around here.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 24, 2009

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

What's a good price on an 02 Shadow Deluxe? I'm looking at this one:

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2002-HONDA-VT600CDT-SHDW-VLX-DLX-95437513

But NADA tells me the bike is only really worth 1850 to 2310. I haven't visually inspected it yet, but anything I should look for/caveats about this bike? Any reason I shouldn't get this as my first bike? There aren't a lot for sale around here used that aren't dirt bikes or 10k+ Harleys, unfortunately.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Yeah I hate the interstates in cars enough to barely use them. I vastly prefer two lane roads unless I'm forced onto interstates for time considerations. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

There's an 82 Maxim 400 for sale locally, 15k miles. Would I be better served getting it or an 02 Shadow 600 Deluxe as a first bike? I'm mainly looking for reliability and simple/cheap maintenance. The most this bike will see is a 55 mph two-lane highway, and that won't be till next season probably. Mostly used for 45 mph and under 3-mile commute to work.

The Maxim is listed at 1,000 and the Shadow is 2,900. I can afford either, so price isn't a concern.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Halo_4am posted:

Go with the VLX absolutely. While the 80's bikes have their advantages over a lot of the newer lines... reliability and cheap to find parts are not among them. I just popped $50 on my 83 shadow for that stupid pin that goes in the carb for choke. It's like a 20 cent part to manufacture... but I couldn't find anything on ebay and wanted to ride asap so I had to deal with dealer prices.

Sold. I'm buying the Shadow. Thanks guys.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I'm going to go to look at that Shadow tomorrow, but this 01 GZ250 popped up on CL today. Anything known to be an issue on this bike? That price looks pretty awesome to me.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

So I looked at the Shadow, and then went and looked at the GZ250. I like both equally well, but the Shadow definitely has more go. But, the guy with the GZ said he'd take $1750, plus the GZ is immaculate. And green, and I like green. Plus it has bags, a windshield, engine protection bars, a new battery, and fresh oil and filter. None of which the Shadow has. Is there any reason not to get the GZ and save myself $1200?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Thanks guys. After thinking it over, I had already decided on the GZ anyways, but now I feel 100% certain on the purchase.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

wormil posted:

Didn't you already ask this question? Yes you did. My answer hasn't changed but if you want an excuse to buy the 250, just go buy it, but the Shadow is still a better choice.

No, what I originally asked about was an 82 Maxim 400, not the GZ250. The Shadow was not in very good condition when I looked at it. And not just dirty, but the guy couldn't tell me anything about maintenance done or previous owners or anything. And it looked abused. Not like it had been dropped, but just neglected. The tires were about out as well. And he wouldn't haggle on the price. The guy with the GZ was really nice, told me all about the PO and that he'd babied the bike (and it showed). I just feel much more comfortable with the GZ as a purchase. I'd buy a Ninja, but I don't feel comfortable on them, unfortunately.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Z3n posted:

^^^^ I'd take a well maintained bike for cheaper over a poorly maintained one any day.

Which is precisely why I'm buying the GZ over the Shadow. Plus I think I'd get into more trouble on the Shadow. And since my only concern right now is commuting, the 250 will be the better choice anyways. It is not like I can't turn this thing around in a year or two, especially considering its condition.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

wormil posted:

Sorry, didn't catch the switchover. Still, unless the VLX was incredibly lovely, I would would pick it but from the sound of things the GZ might be a better choice for you.

It really, really was. I was sad it was such poo poo, because I wanted it pretty badly. However, I love the gently caress out of my GZ, so I think I ended up ok. Plus that extra $1200 I didn't have to spend is really nice.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

A Shadow Aero (or ACE, if I can find one) will be my next bike. I rode one that belongs to a guy I shoot pool with. It was pretty bitchin.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want an S40 or V-Star?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Hey, I just sold a Honda Shadow ace 750. All raging 50hp of it. it's 4500rpm redline is infuriating. It's not a "bad" bike, but it's far, far from a good bike. I thought it was great for sub 30 mph neighborhood cruising.

The S40 isn't the same class of bike. It is just a savage 650. They're light, they're slow, they're decent little putt-putt machines. The S50 is a vtwin and is a much different bike, and much more like the shadow.... and is lighter than the shadow by something like 100-150lbs.

I've never really done hte cruiser thing. But a friend does, and i'm helping them find a bike. It's a crash course in lovely engineering.

Well, right now I'm rocking a GZ250, so the Shadow looked like a good next step. And I love the look of the ACE. I might have to look at the S50.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

What the hell is this? When was there a Honda 110cc bike that looked like that sold in the US? I can only think of dirt bikes that were 110ccs.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Ah, well that makes sense then.

Edit: Nevermind, these things are loving tiny. Jesus it didn't look nearly that small in the pictures.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 30, 2009

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I'm going to look at this today or tomorrow hopefully. Is there anything specific to look for on K75s? I've read around and saw that the rear splines are apparently a concern?

I'm going to go by the BMW shop here today (since I walk right by it going to lunch) and ask them if they did the maintenance on it and if anything is amiss. They're the only BMW shop right around here, so I'm guessing they did. Hopefully they'll talk to me once I make it clear I'm possibly buying it.

I'm also considering this, but I think an 1150 is probably too big a step up from my GZ250 (85hp vs 68hp in the K75).

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 7, 2009

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I have been wondering if the extra weight of the GSA would nullify the extra HP it has, but reading more I've found the K is apparently the heavier of the two by ~25lbs or so? I'm more in love with the GSA's looks (and it comes with those awesome side cases), but the K75 is local and I'll be able to get on it before the auction ends. Not the case with the 1150, which also means no visual inspection.

Edit: Apparently the page I was reading is dead wrong, as several other pages list the GS as heavier by ~45lbs with a full tank.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 7, 2009

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

PlasticSun posted:

K75s are one of the smoothest bikes out there, they're used often in video shoots because of how smooth they are. I'd expect that bike to go for 3-4K and I'd expect the 1150 ADV to go for closer to 8-9K people really like those.

The 1150 is not unmanageable power wise, it build power predictably and the crushing weight of the bike keeps it smooth and controllable. You won't find it wheeling on you unpredictably. It will be both tall and a ton of weight at low speed but once you're doing 20 mph or faster it becomes quite maneuverable. Fully fueled with all of it's bags and racks the R1150 GS ADV weighs in close to 600 lbs, the K should be a fair bit lighter.

Well, sounds like I'm going after the K75 then. Thanks.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Gnomad posted:

Great BMW info.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep all that in mind when looking. I've seen up close (but not sat on yet) an 1150GS and it really is a massive bike. But, I look like Andre the Giant on my 250, so the largeness of the GS is only when compared to my 250, not me. Probably won't be an issue if I do get one, but I'm still weighing the cost.

I missed out on the K (guy sold it to whomever looked at it an hour before I was supposed to), but I've found another possible bike. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy on whether I can get to see and ride it in person before the auction ends. What would be a good price to pay for this 01 F650GS? Any things I should look out for? Also, if I can't ride it before the auction is over, would sitting on an 09 model be comparable for fit testing? There is a BMW shop a block from my office that has an 09 on the floor. Would this be a good starting point to ride for a bit and decide if I want to continue onto an 1150 or 1200 rather than just getting one of the bigger bikes? For reference I'm 6'5" and 300 lbs. (only 31" inseam though) and I want to do some serious touring across the US next year (IL to NM and AZ, for example).

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 12, 2009

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Jabs posted:

They share the name, but they're different bikes, actually.
The 'old' F650GS is a thumper, and it was so popular that BMW brought it back alongside the 'new' F650GS, which is a twin.
You'll want to sit on the new G650GS, which is the old F650GS in disguise.

Ah, ok. When did the switch take place?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Thanks for the info PlasticSun. I noticed the luggage rack too and plan on testing removing and putting on the bags if I manage to see it in person.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Gnomad posted:

Given your build, you won't like the F650, it will be too small for you if you plan on doing any road work.

Even with my midget legs? Either way, I'm going to stop by the BMW shop down the road and sit on everything they've got.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

My GZ250 just can't hack it past 45MPH and I want to do some light traveling this spring and summer, so I'm going to be buying a new ride soon, and I've narrowed it down to two: The Honda Shadow Phantom and the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom. I know the Phantom is new, I'd like to get some ownership feedback regarding the Vulcan if possible.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

That's uncanny. A local guy is selling a CB750 chopper unfinished as well. Actually, he's asking for some money now and the rest when he finishes it. This guy also wants way too much money.

http://chambana.craigslist.org/mcy/1658442988.html

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I'm merely a price negotiation away from buying a Shadow Phantom. I've been on it and I love it. The completely instant throttle response from the new fuel injection system took me a bit to get adjusted to, but I've got it down now. Other than being a first model year, has anyone heard anything bad about them? The riding season just got started here for most people, and I don't know of anyone else that owns one. The reviews I've read online were positive, but I'm curious as to what you guys have heard/experienced.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I will throw my voice out in support of the GZ250. I had one for 6 months and loved it so very much. Were I not 6'4" and pretty much the weight limit of the bike on my own, I'd have probably kept it. However, I like taking to the highways, and that bike was having none of it.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Can anyone give me some opinions on riding a DL650 vs a DL1000GT? I can't get a Wee for a rental in the UK as they're all out, but I can get a 1k. However, there isn't one around here I can go look at in person. I've not ridden the Wee, but of all the bikes I can get (and afford), I've sat on the Wee and like it best. Thanks.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Contemplating this Ninja 650 for a twisties toy. Anything specific I should look out for?

http://decatur.craigslist.org/mcy/1929000715.html

Alternatively, there is this TL1000R (though I suspect the seating position will be too aggressive for me):

http://decatur.craigslist.org/mcy/1925926164.html

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 1, 2010

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I just thought I'd pop in and say that I love my Phantom and I wouldn't give it up for anything. The single seat that Honda sells is hard crap, though, so go aftermarket if you want to go single style.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Assuming this isn't a joke that's going over my head, a Honda Rebel is WAYYY to small for him.

I disagree. I had a GZ250 for many months and even did highway time on it (windshield helped a bunch). And I'm as tall as and weigh more than him.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Counterpoint: I'm 6'2". I took the MSF on an actual Rebel and I had to sit on the passenger seat to turn or else the handlebars would hit my knees.

drat, that's odd. I have slightly short legs, but not that short. Now I don't know what the gently caress because the ergos of those two bikes should be pretty drat close, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Rontalvos posted:

I rode a rebel 250 my dad owned for a few weeks and then I did my MSF on a GZ250. They are supremely different animals. I'm 5'10" and I felt really cramped on the rebel, whereas I looooved the GZ, it was so comfortable and everything just fit me well.

Well then, consider me schooled. I always assumed they were pretty close to the same, but I guess I've never actually say on a Rebel now that I think about it. I have to find out now.