Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Silky Thighs posted:

A friend of mine is selling a 2002 Kawasaki ZX6R, 13,000 miles with helmet/jacket/gloves for $3500. There's no damage to it, and only some minor scratches. I was thinking of getting it for next summer.

Any thoughts? All the stuff also matches, which is a plus..:P.

Looks exactly like this...

Edit: Has it up on craiglist

http://utica.craigslist.org/mcy/853259932.html

Those headlights are gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

MrKatharsis posted:

Zool posted:

Those headlights are gross.

Those headlights are also incredibly powerful. I have an '08 ZZR-600 and it has the best headlights of any bike I've ever seen.

Did you half cover yours in tape/paint too?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Bucephalus posted:

Tell me more about the SV650.

I'm hoping to replace the Nighthawk next year, and I've been looking at 750+ cc v-twin cruisers; I don't care for the inline-4's peakiness. Problem is...they're cruisers. Meh. (They fit my laid-back riding style, but look so drat silly.)

Here's the deal: I'm 6'2" (34" inseam), 265 lbs. I ride a lot of backroads in hilly areas, and would rather use the powerband than row gears. I would also like to do some light touring (200-300 miles in a day, with several breaks).

So, will I fit on it comfortably? Is the riding position upright enough to save my wrists? (I'm not amused by unfaired sportbikes being represented as "standards".) Does the torque curve make up for the relative lack of displacement? How's the long-distance comfort?

Also consider

Ducati GT1000

I rode the S model, I thought it was a blast. And when you sit on it your easily the coolest dude in a 1/2 mile radius.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

wowza

Problem solved.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Sheik Yerbouti posted:

So I sold my SV some days ago and can't decide on what bike I should buy next.

Things I'd like to have:

• reliability (I want to go on 3000-8000 km trips with the bike)
  • ABS (you may laugh at me, but I don't think I have the experience to brake optimally in an emergency and I already lowsided once because of a locked-up front wheel)
  • shaft drive (not obligatory, but I really favor them over chains)

I guess that doesn't leave a lot of choice other than BMW.
Any other suggestions or tips would be appreciated :)

Honda ST
Kawasaki Concours 14

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Blaster of Justice posted:

I'm not easily scared, but I didn't expect Slenderman wearing a MC suit when I clicked this thread. gently caress!

Congrats on the Shoie helmet though. It's a good choice.

An HJC helmet and closeout leathers are a better choice than a Shoie and pajamas every day of the week.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

LabRat1 posted:

If any of you can suggest a bike to learn with that I might fit on that would be great. Thanks.

I'm not saying your stuck with dual sports and adventure bikes, but you will probably find them a bit more comfortable than everything else.

Dual Sport
KLR 650
XR 650
DRZ400S

Supermoto
DRZ 400SM*
WR250X

*I highly recommend this one

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jaros posted:

This is sort of what I was getting at I just wasn't really clear at all.

Anyway I am looking used with a budget of around 7k although ideally I'd like to keep it in the 3k-5k range. I'm certainly open to suggestions on standard bikes although I'd prefer a bike with full fairings. Also, if it makes a difference, I now commute at most 4 days a week during off-peak hours but this could change.

I like the Ninja 500 and I found http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/1399167661.html after browsing through craiglist for a bit. Another commuter uses the same bike at my school. He says he doesn't mind the commute one bit but hes only on the highway for about 5 miles. Am I dumb for considering this?

How much have you budgeted for gear? Also... DRZ400SM. I'm just going to keep coming in here an posting that daily.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Endless Mike posted:

I love my DRZ, but calling it comfortable on the highway is being a bit optimistic.

It's not comfortable, but it's worth it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
The DRZ is not a great bike for traveling 3 hours on the highway, but it certainly isn't impossible. You'll probably find you'd rather take the other road, you know the one that used to be the highway until the interstate went in back in the 70's.

While a more expensive option, the Husqvarna TE610 is only 10 lbs heavier than a DRZ (the KLR is about 40 lbs heavier than the DRZ), and has a 6th gear making it much more comfortable on the highway (I test rode the SM version).

The Husqvarna should be easier to do basic maintenance on, valve adjustments are made by turning a screw on the rocker arm, on the DRZ you need to pull the cam shafts and change shims.

Edit: I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the DRZ has changed at all since it first came out except for the addition of the SM model.

Zool fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 7, 2009

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Crissangel Mindfrog posted:

I'm going to buy a starter bike sometime in the near future. Two questions:

What direction/design should I look at when I want a multipurpose bike? I need something with good mileage and the ability to handle rough/primitive roads. I'd like a lean-forward sport bike, but my understanding is these are generally not designed with a 200+ mile trip in mind, nor are they usable on dirt or fireroads.

Should I buy in the Seattle area where I live now, or in San Francisco summer of next year? Is there a difference in used bikes pricing, or what will people will be selling, due to the weather?

Winter/Fall is the best time to get a deal. I believe you can bring a 49 state bike in to California provided it is at least a certain age, or has a certain number of miles. I don't think it's an issue unless you try to bring a brand new bike in.

Have you taken the MSF? What's your budget for bike and gear? You can take a sport bike on dirt and fireroads, but the suspension isn't made for it, and it's not too fun.
I'm in Seattle, let me know if you need someone to test-ride a bike for you.
Also screw sportbikes, get this.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/1411166095.html

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Bigger wheels saves you some revs on the highway.
You're WRONG WRONG WRONG, the SM has a taller final drive to make up for it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

8ender posted:

Someone here described a squid rider as being like a real squid: has to nearly stop to turn and is soft and squishy because they dont wear gear.

I've heard several explanations for the source of the term. How about, "The term squid comes from emergency responders who noticed that when a motorcycle rider without proper gear crashes at high speed, they tend to wear down and separate at the torso. The entrails snaking out from the upper body make the remains look like a squid."

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Crazy685 posted:

Im going to get my motorcycle license, and I was trying to research what a great first bike would be. Im looking to spend about $3000 or so. What would you guys suggest?

My current list is a GSX 600 or a SV650. Both seem very easy to handle and after going up and down the block, they seem to be right in my range in terms of power.

No experience, but I've ridden dirtbikes for a long time. Only rode a 125, though, albeit for years.

Do you mean the GSX650, or the GSX-R 600? The SV 650 and GSX650 are both at the upper limit of what you'll see recommend here, power wise. If you rode the GSX-R 600 and thought it seemed to be about right ie didn't scare the poo poo out of yourself, you shifted about 8,000 rpm before you had to.

With your dirt bike experience, and apparent love of Suzuki... Have you considered the DRZ400-SM? It is, in my opinion, much more fun than an SV.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Crazy685 posted:

No dual sports, Id like a sport bike... but it has to look pretty good as well.

It's a supermoto, there's a difference. :colbert: It's suspension is so much better than the SV650's, I would argue the DRZ-SM is the sportier bike.

Crazy685 posted:

The 250 is a pretty lame looking bike.

So you think the current Ninja 250 is ugly, or just the old one?

What about un-faired sportbikes like the Ducati Monster?

Crazy685 posted:

I'm definitely willing to take any and all advice, though. What's a weaker sport bike I could check out? Im honestly not worried about power.. I'd even take something under 500ccs

You're in the U.S. right? There isn't really any 'sport bike' positioned between the Ninja 250, and SV650. Comparable bikes to the SV650 are the Ninja 650R, and Yamaha FZ6R, and Suzuki Bandit 600S. If you want a really cool, low power, great handling bike, track down an '09 Aprilia RS125 :D

If you're open to unfaired bikes you have the Ducati Monster 620 and 696, the Honda 599 (tough to find), and the naked SV650.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

IAMKOREA posted:

Any thoughts on 2009 BMW G 650 GS's?

Did they fix that little issue where the front axle breaks off? Or was that another middle weight BMW?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Endless Mike posted:

The colors, maybe. Other than specific model differences (S, SM, E, K), I don't think the DRZ400 has had any changes since its introduction.

Stickers. Colors and stickers.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gr3y posted:

The Ninja 500 and GS 500 would like to have a word with you...

Also isn't the FZ6R a fair bit up on power compared to a 650? It's like 80 vs 60-65 isn't it?

The Ninja doesn't meet the styling requirements, but I don't know how I forgot about the GS.

http://www.sportrider.com/dyno/146_sportbike_dyno_charts/photo_60.html

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

sirbeefalot posted:

I've really got the SM bug lately. Any specific suggestions, what to look out for, etc? I've been riding a 2004 EX-250 for roughly 7 months, with about ~4000 miles under my belt. I'm seeing the DRZ400SM as a strong contender, similar power to the Ninja but more torque down low.

Anything else that isn't insanely higher in power? I'm looking for small and relatively light (Ninja is ~350 lbs wet), so I can wheelie/lane split through LA traffic with relative ease. Reliability is also key. I can do my own work, but I have limited space in which to do it and it can be a hassle.

The DRZ-400SM, and the WR250X are both pretty similar in power. The WR is down on torque, but it has a 6th gear which is good on the freeway.

The next step in SM performance above a DRZ is the Husqvarna SM610. It's actually priced pretty close to the DRZ new, but you're unlikely to find one used.

The 610 is ~52hp to the DRZ's 33, while weighing only a few (I think 10) pounds more. It is a much better bike on the freeway than a DRZ. It will easily pull the front wheel up if you wack the throttle open, but it's not nearly as mad as the KTM. The brakes make the DRZ's seem cute.

I think it's a good compromise between power/weight and maintenance/reliablilty for a street going supermoto. It would take more maintenance than a DRZ, 3000 miles between oil changes and 6,000 between valve checks. It will be easier to work on than any water cooled Japanese bike. The tank and seat will come off with 1 bolt. Valve adjustments can be done without removing the camshaft. You can probably get 30k out of a 610 with just regular maintenance before you need to think about rebuilding the top end. It's not in the same league as the DRZ, which you can count on leaving to your grandchildren.

Then there is the KTM 690, which will flip you over the back in first gear if you even think about opening the throttle, and over the front if you look at the brake lever wrong.

PlasticSun posted:

I don't think it'd be too hard to convert a WR250 to Super Moto.

I bet it's impossible to plate a dirt bike in Cali.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

PlasticSun posted:

The SMs have a bit more power and the forks are nicer although like you said less travel. If you plan to be in the dirt you'd likely want to get a set of dirt wheels for the SM. You could also get an E which is the non-street legal version. There are a lot of people who have converted them so that they can be used on the street and they make a bit more power than the S as well.

I don't think the SM makes anymore power than the S. You can get more power out of the engine, but I don't think it's worth the time/money. If you want a more powerful bike get the Husqvarna.

You'll want dirt wheels if you ride in, mud, wet clay, or soft dirt. On dirt/gravel roads and dry trails 17in wheels with Avon Distanzias will do fine.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Tsaven Nava posted:

Those bikes will kill you in very short order.

What I see most often when someone starts on a bike like that, is that they almost killed themselves the day they got it, and they've been too scared to throw a leg over it since.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Crazy685 posted:

Whoat that new 250 is beautiful! I looked at a 2002 that was hideous.

So beautiful that Im looking at a 2008 Ninja 250 right now. I have to get my license and all that still, but once I do that I'm going to see if I can locate a great deal. I was looking at 2000-2002 Honda CBR600s as well, they looked great and were around my price range ( $2500ish )

You keep mentioning looks, keep in mind that you are most likely going to drop your first bike a couple times. You're ready to spend ~$2500 on a bike, how much are you going to spend on all your gear?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

elsanto posted:

The 2010 Aprilia Shiver is looking pretty badass. There is an Aprilia dealer near me, too. What kind of reputation do these bikes have? I assume they are competing with the Monster and Gladius?

They have a reputation for looking bad rear end and being a good, fun, bike.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

sirbeefalot posted:

So I tried to test ride a DRZ400SM today, but Hollywood Honda doesn't allow test rides on the Japanese bikes.

Only the BMWs. :psyduck:

Any idea where in LA I can hop on a DRZ for an hour or two? I did get to sit on one, really loving skinny bike. and quite a bit taller than my Ninja. :D

Perhaps a sharing CA poster will offer? You could just ride one that someone is trying to sell private party.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

KozmoNaut posted:

am I being a horrible idiot?

Only if you pay $3900 for it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Saga posted:

DRZs are pretty heavy dirt bikes.

Yeah, but he wants a street bike, so the DRZ is a featherweight.

If you're looking to spend 7-9k on a supermoto, get a Husqvarna SM630. They should be around 8k new next summer.

Used consider the Husqvarna SM610, and KTM 625,640, and 690. (all available in both dual-sport and supermoto garb)

You can't really go wrong with a DRZ, but the Husky and KTM will be a bit more fun.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Digital Casing posted:

I've been riding for about 8 years now and have owned several 1L bikes. I've always wanted a Hayabusa. When they first came out they were making bigger numbers than the other smaller 1L bikes. Now it appears that the gap has closed quite a bit.

I was first looking at getting a 1st generation busa but after seeing the numbers the newer R1 puts out I'm stuck. I know the Busa is heavier and not as nimble and puts out close to the same Hp. I guess I'm looking for advantages the busa would have over a newer 1L sport bike. Will the Busa have quicker 1/4 mile times or will it only be apparent that the busa is a faster bike when it hits 150mph speeds? The only thing on the net I have seen is from 2003.

:cough: A 200bhp Beemer would probably be prety quick. http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/12/bmw-s1000rr-makes-183hp-on-dyn.html

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Yeah, the oil mod would be at the top of the list if I did find one of the old V4s to play with. In the mean time, I've got my hands full with the ZX9R project I just bought and the F2 I'll be picking up from a friend. :)

So the plan is get ride of the 636, and start riding the ZX9 on the street. Then the F2 for... chopper project?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

eeenmachine posted:

I'm a somewhat experienced rider (grew up with dirt bikes, took the MSF) who is considering a bike to commute on with with some longer rides every once in awhile.

I've been trying to figure out what the lowest emission bikes are (with little success). I want to commute on something that not only gets better mileage but produces less emissions than my car. I've been watching e-bikes for awhile, but obviously they're not quite there yet. Price isn't that important. I was looking into scooters a bit but then read how some of the cheaper engines produce even more emissions than a car.

http://www.myersmotors.com/buynow.html

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnomad posted:

While we are discussing the guys who work at dealerships and selling bikes to those who might not be ready for that level of bike, I will explain this photo.

Claire is the lady standing by the bike, a bike she had just purchased after spending a season or 2 on a Kawi EX500. That bike killed her a week later on a ride to Seward when she went into a corner way too fast and ran into a guardrail.

In the end, the rider responsible for his or her actions, but I have to wonder if the salesman ever regrets making that particular sale.

Sounds like it was her, the rider with two years of experience on a sport bike who didn't realize the limitations of her new cruiser.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm thinking of getting a new bike. I want something big and orange, what do you recommend?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You had to ask?

Hmm what's that maybe I'll get one of those thingies.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You had to ask?

Good call. Thanks for the help.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2895016&pagenumber=56#post371483465

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

the walkin dude posted:

I have a friend who's thinking of selling his 2002 Ninja ZX6R with 5k miles. He said he'd be selling it for $5k. Is this a fair price?

He said he replaced spark plugs, cleaned the carburetor, changed oil, got a new battery, and gave it a brand new rear tire. Looks to be in generally good shape.

My '02 EX250 with 7k miles was $1,300 so I'm thinking the price is particularly high. What would a good price be?

Why not ask for 10k? He's going to have come down to around 3k if he actually wants to sell it. That was the last year of a four year run, meaning that bike was designed in 1997. And you know how all 600s are the same yada yada yada? The 1998-2002 ZX6R handles about as well as an SV650, not nearly as well as a modern supersport should. (I own one, a 2002 I payed 3k for two years ago) You can pick up a low mileage 2007 supersport for $5K. He'll be lucky if he gets $3k for it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

rubbersoul posted:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xr250r%2083.htm

I'm thinking of buying a 1983 model of this bike for my first two wheeler, it'd be used mostly for street so different tires would probably go on, but how realistic would this be around town?

That depends, does it have a plate?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

rubbersoul posted:

Not currently, but is wired for signals etc. also how big of a deal is not having a plate?

That depends on where you live, south Philly, no big deal. Washington state, $500 ticket every time a cop sees you.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

infraboy posted:

Dumb but interesting question: What bike would you guys buy used or new between $5000 - $6000?

Husqvarna SM510R, best touring bike ever :colbert:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I have a 690 SMC, I'd say it pulls pretty well up to about 70mph, which is about as fast as it's comfortable to ride it due too the wind blast. It out handles every other street bike I've ridden. The only bike I would think about trading it in for is the Duke R.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Saga posted:

I didn't mean to steer, but to keep it on the rubber bits if you lose one or both ends. The Duke was good at that - I hit gravel, cow poo poo, mud from tractors a few times on it and aside from getting your attention the unexpected 2-wheel drift was pretty survivable and undramatic. Wouldn't want to try that on a Foxeye blade, for example.

Yeah, the CBk is a bit heavy, but if it's as well balanced as the 600 Hornet it will still be controllable, so it's at least worth a test ride. I thought the Tuono was ~180kg dry as opposed to 200 for the other two?

Cool, thanks. What do you reckon the SMC actually puts out? On the 640 IIRC the quoted figures were very restricted as they assumed you would rejet and stick a race pipe on it. Still sounds only marginally better than the Duke II however. Maybe I just need to track down a SM/Duke and try it out? I did follow a 690SM around Brands indy, and it seemed to be on similar pace to my CBR400 down the straights. Might be enough for my commute, but on the straight bits I'm not sure if it would pull hard enough to manage the tighter overtakes.

They claim 62hp, which feels about right. The Duke R makes 70hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Now it's the SMR's that are the high strung bombs.
The 450 and 530, the 690 SMR just has higher spec components than the SM, but not as high as the SMC.