Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
A couple other naked superbikes to consider... closer to 130hp though.

The Tuono

and the SuperDuke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I'll make it simple. Not the same spec as the bike it's based on, not a streetfighter.

So if you upgrade the brakes on a street fightered CBR, does that make it a standard?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Endless Mike posted:

And you're looking at a 60s Bonneville!?

Where does he say that?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

KidDynamite posted:

I'm one of those people that can't ever decide on what the gently caress to buy. Please help. My current line up of choices constantly running through my head are:

Suzuki DRZ-400sm
KTM 690 SMC
Suzuki GSZ-R 750(i hate myself for this)
KTM 690 Duke
KTM Duke 690R
Ducati Monster 1100
Ducati 848
BMW 800R
BMW S1000RR
Kawasaki ZX-10( This may be the hype machine)
and last but not least
Yamaha R6 (so I can pretend to be Vale :3: )

Now some info about me. I own a Ninja 500 currently and a Toyota Rav4(which will probably be my only car unless the new Evo isn't a piece of poo poo). I have a stable everyday bike in the 500 I want something fun now and something shiny, preferably new. The one thing that sucks is the bike will live outside in a cycle shell and will have to go through harsh New Jersey winters. I can't ever settle on one bike for more than a few hours I honestly need a lot of help in making a good informed choice. There's a few different styles of bikes covered here but I think they would all be fun to ride in any capacity. Help me make a good choice guys!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Supermoto: Husqvarna 630SMS, KTM 690SMC

Crazy Supermoto; Husky SMR, Aprilia SXV

Standard: Brutale (1070 or 750), SV650, Hypermotard, Sport 1000, Super Duke, Tuono

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
http://www.ktm.com/85-SX-19-16.209.0.html

My girlfriend rides a 65, it's awesome.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Honestly the best bike in that category is the new multi. Nothing else really compares.

I'd probably go with the S2000, it's the only one with Japanese reliability, and a retractable soft top.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Replacing the piston and connecting rod is very common on two strokes, it will set you back maybe $200 in parts. This is done because blow by is a bigger problem on 2-strokes. It dilutes the intake charge, they start to lose power and become harder to start as the rings wear.

Edit: Or maybe the just lose compression faster, whatever the reason, it's normal.

Zool fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 18, 2012

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
CB175 with a flat pan seat.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I live in an apartment with no garage, so it's going to be fun figuring out how to make the bike look complete when I'm not with it so I don't get ticketed for having a dismantled work in progress parked on the curb.

Get a bike cover and you can leave it on the center-stand with no rear wheel if you need to.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You can see a couple marks on the stanchion in one of the pictures, can't tell if it's damage though.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You're looking for a cruiser as a first bike right? That sounds pretty much ideal. I don't think there are any specific issues to be aware of with it. You'll just want to look at normal wear and tear stuff, condition of the brake pads, fluids, tires, and air filter.

vwman18 posted:

I interact with a lot of people at their homes due to my job. Today I saw an old guy puttering in his driveway with a for sale sign on his motorcycle, so I stopped to talk. He's moving to a retirement community down the road and they don't allow motorcycles. He said he's been trying to sell it for a few months. Its a 2001 Yamaha VStar 650, 18200 mi, seems to be in really good shape. He put on saddlebags, fork bag, windshield, battery tender, and aftermarket pipes. It fired right up cold and idled with no issues, no obvious leaks anywhere. He said he'd take $2200 for it, which sounds pretty reasonable to me. Anything I should look for? I'll see if I can get some pictures later, if they're needed.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I think an older R1 makes a great street sport bike. Good torque, ergos aren't too crazy, fairly cheap, oodles of power. Oh and it still looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
The other side has six tiny cylinders.