Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Yeah, that's all good and correct. I guess I usually just end up thinking more the types of riding - long trips vs short, dirt vs road, lot of highway vs none, comfort, etc - and less about _how_ to ride.

Enduros IMO definitely sacrifice some things - maybe just comfort and highway safety - in exchange for being good at handling and happy in dirt. An enduro can log some highway time, wind becomes a serious factor because they are so light and how they sit.

They're like street legal specialty bikes, with maybe the DRZ being the least special, where theres a plethora of small to mid displacement Japanese bikes that are "just a bike"

Unless this thread is trying to breed sumo riders...which is awesome 😂

I think what Slavvy calls an enduro we call a dual sport. So not like an EXC-500 but maybe an XT250. Neither are good on the highway but that isn’t super important when learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

With current prices yeah I don’t think you’ll save a ton of money buying a used bike, especially in an enormous metro area with a large presence of motorcyclists and a year-round riding season. How much it’s worth the effort is up to you. I bought my first bike new. Even though I immediately crashed it, I don’t regret it at all.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Captain McAllister posted:

Biggest issue with mine was the clutch slave failing (in the garage, fortunately). UNfortunately, the replacement also then poo poo the bed out of warranty, but the same dealer was good enough to replace it again and bill Husky. If it happens again, I have an aftermarket slave cylinder that I'm going to put in.

Is this a common issue? My friend bought a 690 Enduro and the clutch slave failed before the 600 mile service.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I hardly ever look at my dash tbh. I glance at my speed occasionally just to make sure I'm not going to get arrested. Otherwise I have a pretty good idea of where I'm at based on the sound and feel.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You got Slavvy to compliment a Ninja 650. Let’s see what this latest move manages.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They reset the PW50 VIN each year. Make sure you don't get an unlucky number.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

For those who have dedicated track bikes (ones which are fully converted over and no longer street legal), is it worth it? Or is having a bike that is only ridden maybe 12 times per year sort of a pain in the rear end? I'm excluding race bikes from the question since those are a known quantity and non optional for racing, whereas you can take a street bike to track day, and it's basically fine.

Part of me wants to get a track bike (or build one) that isn't too expensive so I'm not sad if I bin it (and can repair it somewhat cheaply), but another part of me worries it will just be a headache because of the large intervals between running. A street bike doesn't sit nearly as much, even if you're a weekend warrior (me), and you can also take it on a shakedown a couple days before if you need to. I have a deposit on a ZX-4RR, but some people are in front of me, and they claimed they don't know how many they're getting (they have 5 dealerships, so maybe true). On one hand it seems perfect, but on the other it's also fairly expensive, and in terms of performance, you could probably build a better SV650 for half the price (3-4k for the bike, another 2-3k on suspension and brakes? Or maybe I can find someone else's track bike for even less!). I have a parking space for my current bike, and I imagine the landlord will let me park two bikes there (it's a space meant for a car). I can probably skip insurance, and registration is cheap. I guess another nice thing is you're not juggling opposing goals with one bike on street vs track performance. I currently only have 3 track days planned for the year; 2 are private days and a little pricey, so maybe only gonna do 3 or 4 this year. It just feels a little excessive to me to have a bike that gets ridden so little, so kind of wondering what others experiences are.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Midjack posted:

I'm fairly uninformed but offhand: something that you have to trailer around and perform maintenance and upkeep on to use for only four days per year doesn't seem like a good value proposition unless you go into your track days planning to push so hard you expect to crash it every time and don't want to risk your street bike. Also check the price of the per diem insurance you're looking at getting for your track days.

Haha yeah crashing is definitely not part of the plan, but it is a possibility. And for me personally, I feel I am far more likely to crash at the track than on the street. I’ll have to look into track day insurance. Probably the better idea.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

And honestly...unless you are expert level...why do you need like slicks with tire warmers that are not street legal, the primary difference between a road legal bike or not?
They sell light kits that like remove if you don't like taping up the bike.

If you are really advanced maybe it makes sense. It doesn't make sense for me, I am sure you are a more advanced rider, are you expert?

It’s not the tires so much as everything else. Basically stripping out everything “unnecessary” to lose as much weight as possible. Carbureted race bikes will even go so far as to remove the whole charging system. There’s also the alluded problem where making a bike better for track often makes it worse for street and vice versa. I’m definitely not an expert rider who needs slicks. Tbh I think unless you’re racing slicks are kind of a waste of money. I’ve never ridden slicks, however, so maybe it’s worth it in terms of feel and confidence. I guess it’s up to you.

My bike has even less power than yours, although it weighs quite a bit less. I think somewhere between 60 and 80 HP is a good target. Enough power to not get stuck behind slow people (my biggest problem), but not so much you can fool yourself. I’ve ridden a couple 100hp bikes on track I so know I’m not going to immediately put it in the wall.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I would not want a dedicated track bike and no garage to keep it in, but also hell yeah get a zx4rr cause you'll save money on tires

:hmmyes:

I’ll have to see what pans out with my deposit and if I can even get one this year. I actually made it with a dealer in LA because all the ones in the Bay Area were either spoken for or the dealer didn’t want to discuss numbers until they had the VINs for some reason. LA is the bigger market so hopefully they have more allocations.

My coworker just got his license and wants to buy my CB300R once he has the money, so I guess if/when that happens I’ll have to figure something out.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I think this is a trap weekend warriors fall into. Pulling grams off a bike isn't how to go faster at novice or intermediate levels I don't think.

You can take a lot of weight out of a bike from what I’ve seen. Like 40-50lbs without going completely crazy, not 5lbs from a slip on exhaust and grams from expensive bolts. The Ninja 400 race class minimum weight is 301lbs, compared with stock weight of 362lbs, FYR.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

A ZX4RR would be fun. It might not be a bike you'd wanna use as a commuter but why rip all the lights off and never ride it?
I'd feel weird also not regularly feeling the bike I use at the track - like riding it would feel foreign on track days.

If I get a ZX-4RR I wouldn’t mess with it too much. SVs are cheap though. But yeah not being able to ride the bike besides at track is another concern.

I think whatever I get I’ll just let it progress naturally rather than pursuing a predetermined plan.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Welp, the dealer in LA says the ZX-4RR is mine if I want it. :hellyeah:

However, they have a 3K USD markup, making the out-the-door price just slightly over $16k :negative:

That's ridiculous. I can stomach paying MSRP but can't do markups, especially on a bike that's a little on the pricey side already, imo anyway. Plus it's in LA so that's another ~$500 either flying down there and riding bike or having it shipped. The coastal road is closed at the moment, too, so I'd invariably end up on the freeway for a nearly 200 mile stretch ... probably not the best idea for a new bike.

That said, this SV650 is on craigslist. Not sure how I feel about the bars, but otherwise looks pretty good. I just got $3800 back for my tax return, so I believe that means this is a free bike? I sent the perennial "is this still available" message.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

How hard is replacing a chain? I don't have any tools to do it, but I can buy them. The chain in this picture looks pretty ragged, but maybe it's just the angle? There is a distinct Z shape to the links. This is the only picture you can see it. I'm under the impression you want to replace the sprockets with the chain as well, and seems like the counter sprocket can be a bit of a bear? Maybe I'll just pay someone to do it :shobon:

The bike is still available, so I'm gonna go check it out sometime during the week as he is unavailable this weekend.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I legitimately love the winglets, they look much better than they have any right to, you'd think they'd just be odd protuberances sticking off those minimal fairings but they make it work. BMW makes some good looking bikes

:barf:

I hate winglets unless they are like these, which are fine.

The Panigale V4 looks ridiculous. The 2023 RS-GP is hideous.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I always thought how the frame narrows to a point was a little weird, but I guess since it's not a 200hp super bike it doesn't need the extra strength/rigidity?

I think both 660s look great. The RSV4 is so wide at the front now. I know it needs room for a massive radiator, but add on the wings, and all starts to look a little silly.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

How hard is replacing a chain? I don't have any tools to do it, but I can buy them. The chain in this picture looks pretty ragged, but maybe it's just the angle? There is a distinct Z shape to the links. This is the only picture you can see it. I'm under the impression you want to replace the sprockets with the chain as well, and seems like the counter sprocket can be a bit of a bear? Maybe I'll just pay someone to do it :shobon:

The bike is still available, so I'm gonna go check it out sometime during the week as he is unavailable this weekend.

I went and looked at this just now. They chain definitely needs replaced. Bike has surely been sitting for the last few years. At first glance the tires look new but when you look at the tread groove you can see cracking. He said they are 6 years old "but very low miles" :o:

The clutch pull is very heavy. Is this normal for an SV650, or signs of a problem? I don't mean heavy compared to my CB300R. It's heavy compared to anything I've ridden, including an RC51 and 1098.

The rear brake seemingly does not work. The pedal is pretty soft. I pushed on it about as far as it would go, and the only slowing that happened was probably from the engine braking. There was material on the pads, but it seems like the pads and piston don't make contact, and the piston itself sinks back into the caliper when you release the lever.

The front brake lever felt pretty firm but stopping power pretty underwhelming. They are sliding 2-piston Tokico. Not sure how much of that is the inherent to the brakes (supposedly off a 90s GSX-R), or from neglect (or maybe the tires). Pulled down on it pretty hard, and the rear wheel didn't even loft.

The is a rubber gasket (?) around the steering stem is rotted. Is this just to keep water out? No notchiness noted. One of the dust covers on the fork is as well. No signs of any oil leaking, and the damping feels normal.

The tail is scratched and cracked, but I don't care too much. No signs of any stress or damage to the frame. It has huge frame sliders which I imagine as only a giant lever to ruin your bike. The engine felt very solid. I revved it out slowly at ~1/4 throttle and then at full throttle, no stuttering or anything. It's pretty punchy. I am bad at wheelies.

He lives 2 blocks from the ocean, and the is quite a bit of rust. Some of the fork stanchion, a lot on the fork bottom, on the rotors and calipers. Nothing on the frame.

Anyway the seller is motivated. He texted me while I was driving home that he is flexible on price to offset some of the above issues.

Tires are $350 for S22, plus another $50-80 to get them mounted. Rear sprocket actually looked OK, but I think I'd want to replace given the rest, so that's another ~$150. Then there's the matter of dealing with whatever is wrong with the rear brake. Hopefully the front brake can be resolved with fluid and new pads, and the fork stanchions can be cleaned up with some TLC. I would definitely not take this bike on the track in its current condition.

Asking price is $3200. I think I'd need to knock off at least $700 just for the tires and chain/sprocket, but maybe another $200-300 for the rear brake and also having to gently caress around with the front.

Here's some bad pictures I took.

https://ibb.co/album/FLvBJP

Internet please advise

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I am not particularly interested in working on bikes, and this one probably needs work beyond my ability, which is mostly limited to consumables (fluids, pads, tires). For pricing 3k is about the floor, and newer or nicer ones seem to push 5-6k at which point may as well buy new. I liked that this one already had upgraded suspension, brakes, and rear sets, but if the brakes are poo poo and the suspension is covered in rust then probably not worth it. :negative:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

I can see being able to wring it's neck at legal speeds as appealing.

Pretty much the entire point of the bike imo. I find fortnine so obnoxious though. The engine is absolutely not capable of 92hp, at least not if you don’t want to rebuild it every 300 miles. That’s WSBK levels of specific output. 70hp is more realistic, and honestly even 50 is fine for an ordinary street rider, if not annoying in the back of your mind.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Afaik, all boxer engines are naturally balanced. That’s the only really unique benefit. Power comes from revs, so very broadly speaking: more cylinders -> more revs -> more power.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If you want to build out a bike a Ninja 400 or SV650 seem like good starting points. Lots of aftermarket support for it. If you want something more turn key then I’d be looking 600s. They seem a lot more common, at least in track trim, and are nearly just as fast, maybe 2-3s difference?

I bought a YSS shock for my bike (CB300R), probably the same one you have lol. That and new fork springs/oil. Haven’t installed it yet, but going to Laguna Seca next month so need to get that done soon. Depending on how it feels will influence my next bike purchase. I’m kind of waffling like you, between a Ninja 400, SV650, or an R6/CBR600.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Welp, I now have a 2007 CBR600RR. I wasn’t really planning on buying anything until next year, but just how the timing worked out. Fellow goon NeuralSpark bought it about a year ago for track (from a guy who decided he was too old for this poo poo), has since moved on to a Panigale :rip:

It’s not street legal, and I’m just going to leave it like that. It has an Öhlins NIX30 cartridge and TTX shock. It’s otherwise stock besides the fairing, clip-ons, and rear sets.

I am going to put my CB300R up for sale I think, even though I just dumped like $1,500 into it :smith: I am hoping to get between 2-3k for it.

That said, I’m about 99% sure I want a dual sport. I would probably put 17s on it for street riding, but I do plan to take it to the OHV parks on either DOT or full knobbies (trailering it there obviously).

Part of me wants something like a CRF450L or EXC-F 500, but these are very maintenance intense and maybe more than I really need or can possibly even handle? Not on the street but the dirt. I actually don't do a ton of mileage, so the maintenance intervals aren't necessarily a deal breaker, just annoying. Another option is something like a CRF300L, but seems slightly boring, and I'd have to dump ~2k into the suspension there as well. Maybe a DRZ or WR250R instead? Also not opposed to XR/DR 650. I'm not buying any time soon, but just trying to get some ideas so I can start looking into exactly what I want.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

builds character posted:

Consider a KTM 250 or 350 as well or a two stroke if you want to do just woods riding. The 250/350 will do OK at faster speeds but the two strokes gearing will be bad for riding on the road. Also consider wr250f unless you need a plate. On dirt, heavy is bad and there's a huge difference between riding a dr650 on a fire road (delightful and good) vs. riding it through a rock garden (difficult and mostly suffering). At the same time, if you want to ride around town or on a highway you're not going to want to flog a 250 there (350 might be OK but you'll need to be good about balancing the wheels and the good knobbies aren't DOT legal so will burn off rapidly on the highway at any speed). Consider a tw200 as well if it fits the profile of what you're looking for.

Yeah in my mind I was targeting 300lbs or less. The XR/DR 650s are both a little heavier than I would like, which is why they're not my first choice. I am leaning towards something that's street legal, but maybe if no one wants to buy my CB300R then I can just go dirt bike only :hehe: I haven't really ridden a dirt bike in over 20 years :corsair: I was never very good at it as a kid anyway. :o:

Slavvy posted:

Me riding a 520exc on the road: what a wonderful little machine, so flighty and whimsical

Me riding a 520exc on a trail: *touches throttle, dies immediately*

This is exactly my fear.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:discourse:

Before I picked up this 600 I actually was, vaguely, planning on getting a TTR. But if I sell my CB300R then I'd have two (and only two) non street legal motorcycles which feels silly to me. Depending on my selling experience, I may just keep the 300 and pick up a TTR as well. I just have limited space for bikes and don't want to get too out of control, or draw the landlord's attention (they could easily charge 3x what they are charging me for the spot). That's what's appealing of a dual sport with dual wheel set, basically two bikes in one.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

mCpwnage posted:

Thanks for all the insight everyone! I really appreciate it.

I initially had my eye on a 300L Rally (or a TW200, they look like a barrel of fun), but they don't seem to exist on the used market here (Seattle).

Another thing I had been considering is that a lot of the good countrside/forest/mountain areas around here can be made much more accessible by 30mins on I5/90 so ideally a bike would be able to feel safe and comfortable at 65mph in highway traffic.

The CRF300L will do 65 on the freeway, no problem. Comfortable, do you mean your comfort or the bike’s? I have a bike with the (exact?) same engine, maybe different gearing, but it’ll do 65 all day. The rally has some wind protection which will help for you too, if thats what you’re into (personally I would opt for the non rally version).

I think it’s a good option. If you’re interested you can go on YouTube and search chroniclesofsolid who has a bunch of videos on his.

Wild card: buy my CB300R for cheap and throw some Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR on it :hehe:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Why not the Tiger Sport 660? Or too samey to make the change?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:hellyeah:

Now bring it to Thunderhill and let me ride it :hehe:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Hey so thats the plan for this spring/summer. Who do you like for trackday providers? I don't have a 1 piece yet so someone who rents those would be helpful.

There are a few providers for Northern California. If you want to rent a suit, then I would go with Z2, or Fun Track Dayz, who both state they do rentals (I've never tried). I would definitely reach out to them before even booking if you're planning to rent a suit. I have a 2 piece suit I would let you use, if you fit into it. Jacket 48 pants 50 (EU sizing). I still need to figure out which days I'm going to this year.

I think Thunderhill East is probably the best bet for your first time. It's also usually the cheapest.

I rode once with Carters, and thought it was very good. The pace is a little on the fast side if you're new to the track, but the quality of riding was a lot better (especially for the intermediate group which is usually the worst group).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Thanks for all the information. I haven't ridden on the track in almost a decade so i'm rusty for sure and probably need the most newbie friendly experience possible. I'll get the gear somehow so it's not essential that the provider rent suits but if they do that would be a plus. I'm also new to the norcal/northern Nevada area so having a buddy to show me the ropes would be excellent. PM me (if you want to of course, no pressure) when you're thinking of going.

I PM'd you as well, but posting itt in case anyone else in the area is interested in going to the track, but isn't sure how, doesn't want to go alone, etc.

I just bought tickets for these days.

April 28, Thunderhill East
June 2, Thunderhill East
Sept 1, Thunderhill East

I also bought tickets for 2 private track days. One at Laguna Seca on Jul 8th, and the other at Thunderhill East for Sept 26th. 105dB days at Laguna Seca are expensive; this private day is only 20% more than going with a provider for 50% more track time (and if you sign up before May 17, it's only a 5% premium); 30 minute sessions instead of 20, and groups are limited to something like 25 riders on track versus 40-50. The Thunderhill day is open session and only 12 riders total. Honestly if you only do one day, this is the one to do. I did it last year, and it was awesome. You pretty much have the entire track to yourself. Anyone interested PM me and I can share the sign up info.

There is also Yamaha sponsored day at Sonoma on Aug 28. You have to get a sign up code from a participating Yamaha dealer, but I fully intend on going to this once the codes are available.

Lastly there is an Aprilia sponsored day at Buttonwillow on Oct 21. I am most likely going to this one as well.

There may be one or two more I will go to, but the 5 above are for sure, the other 2 most likely.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah they look hella sick bro. They are pretty small which I know may sound dumb but I was expecting it to be tall like a 690.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I actually just looked and the Ducati has a seat height 14mm higher :confused: maybe it’s just the overall styling but the Ducati just looks easier to muscle around.

The dealer also has the new Triumph Speed 400, and it looks pretty freaking nice for a $5,000 bike. I am sure the suspension and brakes are fairly budget, but probably not too difficult to rectify, if you even need to. I almost want to buy one. :sweatdrop: