Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
How does this look for my very first bike?

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/885257687.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/888234416.html

:psyduck: I wonder what's wrong with it.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/897205975.html

The guy selling it says he built it from parts and it runs except for the things missing.

What do you guys think? This would be my first bike, might be good to play with for winter?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

MrKatharsis posted:

As long as the title isn't one of the missing parts, that's a hell of a deal.

Just has a bill of sale. He apparently literally built the bike from parts.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
So is that gs500e that had been rebuilt a good buy? He said he has no title, but a bill of sale and he would go to the secretary of state with me to make sure it checked out, but I'm not even sure how title transfers and bills of sale work.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/906751980.html

How's this for a first bike? He says it only needs a new cellunoid, but he has the part and I just have to install it.

All the other deals I keep finding are getting bought out before I can blink.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/908955545.html

This seems like a hell of a deal, and I would prefer a naked bike anyway so I might just take all the fairings off.

The problem is that it's my first bike, do you think it's too big?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
And I'd be bound to take it above 9k eventually. I'm finding bikes left and right, but I just can't seem to find the right one.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/911419528.html

I called this guy and he said that the frame, motor, and trans. are all fine which is what matters. And he had a parts list from a local salvage dealer, $350 to get it back on the road.

He said he had all the levers and they were fine too. This could be a very satisfying project and probably wouldn't be too difficult.

He said he bought it back from the insurance company after his friend died on it and it has a legal VIN, but only comes with a bill of sale.

So in my never ending quest for a first bike, what say you?

Edit: It's an '89 fyi.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I just found a '96 Ninja 500r in flawless condition for $900 with 16,000 miles. God help me if it gets sold out from under me.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Welp the Ninja 500 got sold out from under me, but I found this

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/1041042830.html

I offered him $450, because the blue book value is only $400. I went and took a look at it today adn rode it, it runs great.

The chain has some surface rust, so I'm not sure if that will need to be replaced. And it needs new brakes.

Are getting new brakes for it going to be a pain? The front disc is not ventilated and I want one that is, are brakes often interchangeable?

And I noticed when I slowly let the clutch out, that it does not smoothly come out. It sort of lightly sticks as I let it out, but I had no problem shifting.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Simkin posted:

There's no good reason to swap to a drilled rotor, if the bike isn't being used for racing. If you were arguing the merits of drum vs. disk, sure, but as long as you have decent pads, sufficient brake fluid, and new (or at least non-lovely) lines, you'll have no problem with stopping. If it actually does need new rotors, then yes, it should be a trivial matter to put drilled rotors on, if you can find a set of rotors with the same bolt pattern. If not, well, just see if you can find some NOS rotors and new pads.

It does need a new rotor. The disc is glazed over and is a bit worn. So what exactly do I need to check for to ensure that a disc from a different model of bike will be compatible so that I can get a newer type of disc?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

8ender posted:

I get to be the leader then because my KZ650 is the fastest :smug:

I think this guy's KZ400 would win :v:

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
So are there any big problems with KZs that I should watch out for?

He said that he drained the carbs, but I'm going to have to clean them I suppose.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Well, in my neverending search for my first bike, I have now come upon a 1989 GS500E with 40k miles.

He's asking $1000, but I'm going to give him a lowball of $600 since he said the tires are old and the brakes are "good" at best.

The only problem is that it won't start. He describes the problem as:

"mechanically all i know is that the starter will crank but i get no spark. i cleaned and gapped the plugs and still no spark."

Any ideas what it could be and what kind of work I could expect if I bought this bike?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
As a college student, hard pressed for cash I am. And honestly I would be much more comfortable with the bike if I get familiar with its guts first.

It'll be a while before I have a chance to ride it anyway, and I think I would enjoy working on it.

Nerobro posted:

No spark AT ALL, makes me think it's wiring. When my ignition unit died on the '80 I still has weak, weak spark.

Well he said it had "very little" spark at the plugs. So I suppose that means there is some.

If it is the wiring, what kind of work does that entail?

EDIT: He also said that he has no idea when the carbs were cleaned/rebuilt, but they were working at the beginning of last summer before it died on him. Could this have something to do with it?

EDIT2: after looking through the service manual and at OEM schematics. Odds are it is the most obvious issue, either the igniter assembly or signal generator. The most expensive being the igniter assembly at $343, so I will factor that into my offer.

Is it difficult to replace the igniter assembly or signal generator? From the looks of it, it doesn't appear to be, but I might be missing some annoying little steps.

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 28, 2009

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Nerobro posted:

He says weak spark, that means there is signal for spark. That means it's not the signal generator.

His ignitor is toast. They're $50-120 on ebay. They're stupidly simple to replace. They have a big plug on them. Two screws hold it down. undo the two screws, undo the connector, reverse steps with new ignitor.

Here is what he just emailed me:

"the multimeter needle barely jumps when the leads are touching the
spark plugs, the charge doesn't reach a sufficient level to make a
spark in between the metal pieces of the plug. the battery was dead
but we charged it and had it connected to a charger while looking for
the cause of the malfunction at the end of last summer."

So then I hope it is the ignitor. The igniter assembly is $343 OEM on bikebandit, so yeah I definitely hope ebay has it cheaper.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/1076864632.html

The damage honestly doesn't look too extensive here, and considering that it's a newer bike and so cheap, I figure it might be worth it.

How much do you think it would be to repair it? It definitely needs new forks, right turn signal, and mirror. I don't know what other damage could have been done to it from the looks of it.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Z3n posted:

Still, not a bad deal and a good project. I'd also be concerned about engine damage, given that it doesn't start. See if there's more to the story...

I'm assuming that it does start, I think he is saying that he just hasn't started it since he lost the key.

I've never worked on a bike, but I have no doubt that my friend and I could figure it out. From what I understand swapping forks isn't too difficult.

I sent him an email, I'll see what else he has to say.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Fair enough. In other news I found this. It's the 1983 one year wonder apparently.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/1074688430.html

I already spoke to him, it has 14,528 miles, freshly cleaned and synced carbs, new tires, and comes with a 650 motor for parts. Clear title as well.

Unless you guys have any objections this looks like the perfect deal.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

8ender posted:

Doesn't look too bad. You might have to clean it up a little and replace some parts but if it runs and rides well then its a steal.

The only mechanical problem he mentioned is that the blinkers will occasionally stop working, apparently a ground wire somewhere.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow, so we'll see.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Gr3y posted:

I have that bike's big brother (1982 CB750SC). Great bike. The only think I would recommend is as soon as you get it home do the brakes. Two sets of pads for the fronts and new shoes for the back should run less then 80 bucks.

I'm doing mine later this week and will post a write up if you're interested.

That would help a ton. Is there a problem with Nighthawk brakes or something?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

8ender posted:

Its probably the flasher unit itself. I've found the mechanical ones to be flaky. Easy fix.

I don't know how much that will run, but it's missing the left side cover in the pics and with brakes, I'm going to try to talk him down to $450.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
So I went and looked at that 83 Nighthawk 550.

It was pretty good, a little dirty and some pitting on the chrome, but nice otherwise.

There were only three problems with it.

1. He said it was the first time it had been out of the garage since last season, and after we got it running when I would rev the engine in neutral up to around 5000 rpms then let it drop down a bit then rev it back up it would bog down. As in it wouldn't rev properly and sounded like the engine wasn't getting enough fuel. He said it was just because it had been sitting and would go away eventually. (The fuel was stabalized while it sat and the carbs were cleaned and synched last season according to him)

2. When riding it, when I would turn or swerve it felt like the steering was pulling to the right and didn't want to respond to me turning the bars properly. I noticed after I got off of the bike that the right fork seal was destroyed, is that the cause? Or is it something more serious? Note: The bike has never been crashed.

3. There was a tiny oil leak as seen here running down the plastic cover right above where the oil goes in and the shifter.

I didn't notice if it was there before I rode it, but there was no oil leaking from anywhere when we looked it over and we couldn't find the source. Is it a problem?

So considering all of this I offered him $475. What do you think?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Simkin posted:

I'll leave the other guys to discuss the rest of the trickier mechanical bits, but when it comes to things like steering, start with the simplest first.

Were the tyres properly inflated?

If no, then the bike will handle like a big bag of poo poo, and will often feel like it's trying to steer in a direction quite counter to what you would normally expect. This can be apparent with the tyres being as little as 5psi under recommended pressure, so...

The tires were brand new and had been put on before it was stored for winter. They had not been inflated since it had been taken out of storage, but it was kept on blocks and I didn't feel any give when I pressed on them. However since they had not been inflated since last year I'm sure they lost some air one way or the other.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Z3n posted:

You need to check the tire pressures.

The rest of it sounds like the carbs may need to be cleaned...if you want to store it right, you add stabilizer, and then drain the carbs, either by running the bike till it dies, or draining the float bowls. If you leave gas in it too long, even with stabilizer, it'll eventually varnish.

Besides that, seems pretty reasonable.

So you don't think the oil leak is a problem then? Oh and it also needs brake pads and rear brake shoes. Is taking off the rear tire and changing the shoes going to make me want to kill myself?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/1083629034.html

Oh god I can't stop looking at bikes I need help. Buy it yes no?

EDIT: It's been sold :flaccid:

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 20, 2009

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

DrakeriderCa posted:

**First bike buyer.**

I'm looking to get my first bike. I don't want a sport bike (preferably a cruiser), and I've only got $2k to spend (I'm in Canada, if it helps). I've seen a few early 80's Virago's nearby. How good of an idea would that be?

I'm a bit iffy on Viragos. Look for 80s nighthawks, they are pretty nice.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/1232910737.html

:downs:

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/1316476118.html

The price is right, KBB is $1200, maybe room to talk him down more? Is it even worth it for a 250 this old?

EDIT: got a response to my questions to him. Clean title, 2nd (maybe 3rd, he isn't sure) owner, dropped once while not moving and has some scratches and the cover is broken off of the front left blinker, but light unit is intact. Tires about 70%.

Also asked him if he stunted due to the sticker, but no stunting according to him.

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 12, 2009

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

blugu64 posted:

Re:1988 Ninja250, is that gas tank dented in on the top or am I seeing things?

I don't think so, it looks like that is just the way the fairing is made coming up along either side of the tank that makes the top of the tank look dented.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/1748208764.html

quote:

I have a 1977 Kawasaki KZ400. Its a great little bike. Needs a little work but not much. Battery needs replaced, needs new chain, needs the shifter lever spring replaced, needs new back tire, and needs carbs cleaned and adjusted. It runs great as is but with a little work it will run alot better. I am only asking $750 I reallly need the money which is the only reason I am selling it. Lowballers will be laughed at. Yes I need the money but I know what my bike is worth! If you are intrested please feel free to call or text me at. E-mails will not answered! No spam please. Also please do not waste my time their will be no test ride unless you have money in hand.

He offered me a helmet, trickle charger, cover, and transport to my place for $800, but the KBB value for an excellent condition kz400 of this year is only $700, so I am going to offer him $500.

What do you guys think?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Doctor Zero posted:

Excellent. :smugbert:

I think that's a lot of little stuff that will add up. None of them alone would be too worrisome, but all of them? Especially since nearly all of that could be done with little effort on his part. Tells me he might not have taken care of it. Might be worth $500, IF you can see it start up from cold (perhaps with a jump - seriously, putting a new battery in a bike is the easiest loving thing in the world, why doesn't it have one?).

The more I think of it, the more there's something that doesn't smell quite right. Maybe if he's willing to do some of that himself, then you can offer him more.

He said it needs to be kicked, so I guess the battery is no good at all?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
He said he wouldn't go below $675, I said no. The search continues for another summer.

I wouldn't have bought it anyway without being able to see that the electric start works.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Ok here's another one that looks more promising:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/1749848981.html

quote:

1978 gs550e, runs. drove from charlevoix to manchester last summer. could use a good cleaning 13xxx original miles. new clutch. must sell.

I talked to him on the phone, here are the three issues:

1. The front brake does not work, he bought the bike and rode it home from across the state with just the rear brake. He told me that he believes the previous owner replaced the flex line and never connected/bled it, so the brake is fine mechanically apparently?

2. The electric start does not work, but it does start when kicked. He said that all of the other electronics work and that it is most likely just the battery that needs replacing.

3. He said that gas was left in the tank since last season. I don't even know what to do about that? If I buy it what will I need to do to make sure nothing was hosed up?

The bike is worth $900 in excellent condition according to kbb and he is selling it for $500 and he said that he could deliver it for a fee, so I am thinking I will offer him $500 delivered? Maybe $450?

What do you guys think?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Crayvex posted:

When I read a craigslist ad that says, "runs" and doesn't say "RUNS GREAT!" I get nervous.

1. Fixing the front brake might be as easy as bleeding everything, but you might end up having to disassemble everything. (Front brake caliper, master cylinder, blow out the existing brake lines)A bike that old is bound to need a new caliper piston seal plus a master cylinder rebuild kit. These parts will probably set you back $30-50. I hope you have a good set of circlp pliers. :)

2. Could be a weak battery, could be a bad starter. If it kicks and starts easily then there shouldn't be a problem. (I kick start my 77 CB750K because it makes me feel manly)Chances are it will need a new battery regardless. There's another $40-60.

3.If he is telling you there is old gas in the tank... than he's probably trying to tell you the carbs are all gunked up. At a minimum you need to drain that old gas but I bet the thing is barely running and will actually need a full carb tear down.

Is there rust in the tank? How are the tires? What about the chain? Do shocks squeak when you bounce it up and down?

You know, I think with some dedication this bike won't take more than two weekends to get running incredibly (I have a great job right now and plenty of free time) , all things considered I am probably just going to buy it.

The GS's of this generation are good anyway, so it is not a bad deal.

I can't really think of anything that would be too expensive to replace, cleaning the carbs, maybe a new chain, some brake bits at the MOST, a battery, and hopefully not, but a new gas tank.

These are all pretty easy things to replace aren't they? A manual, the ability to read, a little bit of money, and my friend's dad's tools, I think I will be ok.

EDIT: Keep in mind I won't actually be looking at it until Saturday this is just things that he told me. So any advice on specific things to do or look for when I see it will help assess if there are any more problems than the manageable things I listed above.

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 20, 2010

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Check this out: http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/1754034529.html

quote:

We have two nice Suzuki motorcycles. Both run but need carbs. $500. each or $1000 for both. Willing to trade for a runnig Chevy truck, turn key boat or???????? Have titles for both bikes. Serious calls ONLY. Thanks for reading.

I spoke to him on the phone and he said that he paid $500 each for them and the carbs were busted on the inside and leaking fuel on both of them.

They are both 1980s, the black one has 11000 miles and the blue one has 7500. He said they are both in mint condition other than the busted carbs.

I would say it is a pretty good deal, but the problem I have run into is the fact that OEM carbs have been discontinued for the 1980 GS550. Where could I find a set of carbs?

Bigger question, how difficult is it to install a carburetor? Could it just need a new carb rebuild kit and not a whole new assembly?

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 22, 2010

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Ok I think I've found a bike that might actually not be a bad idea to buy this time :v:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/1756730172.html

'79 KZ400 with 14k miles. According to the owner it is in great shape. He said that the previous owner put new pipes and a non-stock airbox on it, which causes to run extremely lean, so the only thing it needs is the carbs rejetted.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow, and if carb work is really all it needs, I am 99% sure I am going to buy it. Is this a good idea?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Z3n posted:

Make sure it starts and runs from cold, but yeah, seems pretty reasonable.

What if it doesn't? I mean he did say it was running lean and needs to be rejetted.

Speaking of which, what kind of jet kit should I get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Well he said it definitely does run, so that's good enough if jets is all it needs.

http://www.bikebandit.com/slinger-airflow-werks-jet-kit

Are these a good choice?