Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
He says weak spark, that means there is signal for spark. That means it's not the signal generator.

His ignitor is toast. They're $50-120 on ebay. They're stupidly simple to replace. They have a big plug on them. Two screws hold it down. undo the two screws, undo the connector, reverse steps with new ignitor.

Neroboro posted:

I still has weak, weak spark.
I has engrish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It's a good price. But it's a wildly bad idea. Maintenance cycles on the high end 450's are measured in hours. Hours you can count on your hands. And you NEED to keep on top of it. Same with checking and adjusting the valves. Price out what a top end rebuild costs on a motor like that... I wonder if that's why it's so cheap.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Bugdrvr posted:

After reading the Moped thread I really want one. I live close to my job so it would actually be a useful form of transportation. I found this on Craigslist today http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1064604294.html How are these 'peds? Can a kit be thrown upon this?
motobecanes and peugeots are the musclecars of the moped world. Yes, that's a good bike to buy. :-) gently caress yes a kit can be thrown.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

If you want a moped, you want to look for peugeots, motobecanes, tomos, and puch. Puches have an aftermarket that will make your head spin. Tomos's have two speed transmissions, which can make them pretty quick. Peugeots have a CVT, as do Motobecanes.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'll bet the bike is on a large part fine. The fairing's going to be rashed.

Getting a key will cost $70-90.

Forks will run you anywhere from $100-400. Depending on if you go with used, new, or just replacement fork tubes. Labor for replacement will be in the $1-200 range.

You're looking at at least $100 for other misc bits.

I'd first check to see if he has the title in hand. I could not recommend you buying it. I would buy it, for $300. I think I could get it to sale able condition for $2-300. But I do my own wrench turning.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

No, don't do it.

Even if the bike is with title, this will be a large project.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Gr3y posted:

Ahhh. Good to know. I already have a twin rotor setup up front, so unless I start moving into exotic waved or cross drilled set ups there isn't a whole lot for me to do. And if I find myself needing superbike braking on my 27 year old standard I really need to reevaluate what I'm doing.

Wave rotors are just neat. They aren't a braking advantage. Drilled holes, or cut groves provide the same feel as wave rotors. They're lighter, which improves steering.

Having better braking is always an advantage. That's why I'm running a large diameter rotors, drilled rotors, big piston calipers, stainless steel braided lines, and a small piston master cylinder.

After having brake fade coming down from 80mph, I will never risk that again.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

CoolBlue posted:

Well this isn't entirely true...

They'd have to heat up faster. There's less mass, and the same amount of energy is being put into the disks. That will make the rotor will heat up and reach equilibrium faster. I could see that giving a more consistent feel. They also have a great many leading edges. Each leading edge provides more bite. Their surface to mass ratio isn't significantly different from even a undrilled disk.

I wonder if fade with wave rotors hits more sharply than with solid disks. It would make sense that once you exceeded the heat rejection capacity of the disk, it's temperature would climb faster than a solid disk.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It will do 110mph. I think that qualifies as just fine for the open road.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GT-series/GT250.shtml

The asking price seems reasonable. I'd be looking to pay 800 for that rather than $1000.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

the leak is likely nothing. Changing shoes and pads isn't hard.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

pr0zac posted:

The 750 has 75hp new and cruiser geometry.
Cruiser != standard Standards are closer to sportbikes, than they are to cruisers.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Has anyone transitioned from a Nighthawk Honda CB250 to the CB750?

I really like the Nighthawk (so far as my noob rear end can grasp) for handling, overall comfort, etc. I'd just like something that's a little more stable on the highway and that has a little more guts. On steep hills the 250cc really labors to hold 50mph, and passing on the interstate is a bit tricky since 75mph is about the best it will do on short notice, though I can get to 80 if I get a good 20sec of clear roadway and tuck in.
Well, stability is more the rider, than the bike. The Nighthawk doesn't have radical geometry, so it's more likely you, than the bike. You may want to go chasing semis till you can handle the gusts.

There's lots of bikes that will do what you want. If you want power, there's a lot of ways to get it. I'm going to push GS's. Though the SecaII would be good to look for. Bandit 600. And even the CB750.

How much of a struggle is it to get up hills for you? What's your desired cruising speed? Top speed? I like to point at bikes with about 50hp, becuase that will get you to 90-100mph in good time, and top out in the 110-120 range.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 20, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

That's actually a really cool suggestion:

Though glancing around http://craigslist-search.blogspot.com/ I'm seeing very few for sale in North America.

Not to take up your time, but if any other model names for compact UJMs in the 400cc-ish range jump to mind, it'd be great to have those to consider as well.

I've had three of those in my garage at once. Right now I have a 1977 GS400X, a 1979 GS425E in there. Not so long ago there was a 1980 GS450L as well. I paid less than $100 for all three.

They're out there. And they're not that hard to find. Sadly, I did have to drive 3 hours to pick up that one.

Gr3y posted:

Honda built a CB in the 400 range, which aren't that hard to find. Also don't count out the 600-750 cc bikes. They're not too big and pretty common.
The CB450 is the most common one. It's a little wheezy. But they go. I think I topped out at 95mph on Azemoths 1982 CB450SC. They sound like little sewing machines. Great bikes. Never buy a broken one though. Standard rule of hondas is that they don't break. If they do break, they're an ever loving pain in the butt to fix.

The XS400 looks great, and I'm not totally averse to spending a few hundred on wiring if that's the main problem, though the GS400 series seems great too. Bottom line, as long as it's nakedish, cute, and not too hard to maintain I'm pretty inclined. Ariel and Matchless have become rare(r) collectors items
The XS400 SECA was a great looking bike. But NOT easy to maintain. To remove the carbs you had to drop the motor. THe fuel tank also couldn't handle being full, or else fuel would slosh out the fuel cap. Also, all yamahas of that era have fuse blocks that are just DIEING to die. They are designed to crack in every way that's not fixable. Not to mention being top heavy, and just plain heavy. Oh, the brakes sucked too. The only thing the XS400 did well was look good.

Gnomad posted:

Quite a few early 80's Hondas were jetted lean.
This is "We developed lean burn technology. We must use it everywhere." And it's why they get good fuel economy.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 22, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Thanks for calling me out on that one KDC....

Being realistic, any solid bike is going to run you $600-1000. No matter which bike we're talking about. I'll admit to getting lucky on my GS's. That said, the $99 gs425 did run within hours of getting it home.

I doubt you'll find a CB400. Honda mostly made 450's. but a CB360, 400, 450... all good bikes. And don't limit yourself to cb's. There's also a CMX450 (that's a rebel 450..) And others. I don't know much about it, but I hear the KZ440 is good too. You'll need to do some digging on your own to find that out for sure.

If you want a hot rear end little bike, try to find a CB400-4.

Are you stuck on 4 strokes? A GT185, or GT250 would both suit the bill for what you're doing. And they're good looking bikes.

I'm trying to think of other little bikes that are fun. If you don't mind ditching the UJM thing, and you just want a good bike for making quick blasts up the highway to get downtown, I don't see why you shouldn't look at big 2 stroke enduros. A same era DT250 or 360 would do nicely. Lacking any valvetrain, they're even simpler to maintain. Maybe a PE250? Since I think style is something you're considering, you may well just ignore this last paragraph.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

However, I'd be a bit concerned about taking a bike that light (245lbs) onto the highways. My Nighthawk is slightly heavier (270lbs) and a heavy wind really puts some lean on it when I get up to 60mph.
Trouble with wind is YOU. Not the bike. A heavy bike really only changes gust response. In strong winds, it's just about ignoring lean angle. :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Yes, a GS500 can do that. Depends on what you call trail though. I've done miles upon miles of gravel on my GS550, which is a pure road bike. If you're just thinking fire roads, I'd even go at it with a sportbike.

If you want to do touring, I'd point at a KLR. Or F650. Or DR650. Or KTM690/640. Or really any big thumper that comes with dirt sized wheels. Be prepared to lower it a bit.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

DiscoKid posted:

Is $1150 for a 78 GS 1000 a reasonable asking price?

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/mcy/1090684886.html

Got lots of miles on it, but man that's pretty.

63,000 miles isn't a lot of miles for a GS. Not even ballpark "a lot." I got my 1980 GS550E with 60k+ on it, and it didn't even need swingarm or wheel bearings yet.

A GS1000 has roughly 90hp. And torque like you wouldn't believe.

That's also a highly desirable "skunk" GS. The black with white side stripes is uncommon, and somewhat collectible.

The seat is called a "king-queen" seat. Find a stock seat, they go for $40-80 on ebay.

A grand is about right for that bike. Especially with the new ignition system on it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ola posted:

Welcome to the fold.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Regarding your #1 cylinder, the first answer is always "clean thy carbs".

Also post pics of it.

First off, BassCliff is awesome. I got to hang out with him this summer.

Seconding the carb answer. Also, you can check the boot on your coil. spark plug boots go bad sometimes.

The carbs are most likely though. I love seeing new people with GS's

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Two quick UJM questions:

1) Are there any 1990-Present UJM bikes very similar to these older ones I've been looking at? Or just the CB series? It just seems that all the UJMs I see are 1970-1985 bikes. Did the style just completely fall out of favour?
UJM's became todays sportbikes, sport tourers, and cruisers. The whole breed took two different paths. One half went chasing harley, the other half went chasing corners. There's a reason

quote:

2) I've seen some UJMs that seem much smaller in frame than others (GS400?). But I vaguely think I've seen 400s that are just as big as 550s as well. Is there any way to tell, short of looking at the bike in person, which UJMs are more compact? The XS400, for example, when I saw it in person looked almost closer in size to a Honda Rebel more than my CB250 Nighthawk, despite having more than twice the hp of a Rebel.
There's really two sizes of GS. The GStwins: 250, 300, 400, 425, 450, 500. And the four cylinder bikes: GS550, 650, 750, 850, 1000, 1100, and 1150. I'll drag out the bikes this weekend for comparison shots. Honda has a similar situation. Their parallel twin bikes are about the same size as the GS twins. And their 4 cylinder bikes are much larger. I think kawasaki's twins are larger.

GS450L
Oh, you mean like this one?

Yes, bid on it you fool. That one I sold last spring for $871, without title. $2k is high given the paint condition. I'd go $1000-1100.

I don't know if it's CA heresy to admit this, but I'm mostly interested in riding the drat thing, and not too fascinated by maintenance above and beyond fueling, oiling, and inflating the critter.
Then a GS is perfect for you. I understand that desire entirely.

Z3n posted:

You'll notice that that's the key difference between how me and Nero approach bikes. He wants to understand how it works, tear it apart to make it better, etc., I just want to make the loving thing run so I can ride it. Thusly my lack of understanding on a lot of the theory fronts. I don't care, just make it work. Rewinding stators? gently caress that, couldn't pay me enough to do that poo poo. :shobon:
Total maintenance on my 1983 GS550 for the last 18 months. Two oil changes, and charging the battery after it sat for two months. *grins* Then again, I did all the work to make the bike run like that.

A side note from last nights ride. Leather does absolutely nothing to keep you warm. 35 degrees....

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Simkin posted:

Oh, look, it's a GS450. I wonder if you can still find parts for that...
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1092448718.html

Here's another 80s Suzuki UJM, but it's not a GS. :monocle:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1085388540.html
The GS's all have most of the parts still available. Yes, you can get parts for that 450. The GR650 was the testbed for the GSXR motors. Yes, suzuki used a cruiser to test all the technology for the new GSXR.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Simkin posted:

Oh, come on Nerobro, don't tell me that your sarcasm detector is that broken.
When my sarcasam detector throws a false negative it throws a doozey. :-)

MrZig posted:

In all seriousness, GSR rocks. I reposted a couple threads on stuff I wasn't 100% sure of in my own thread here just to get some different answers from some other people familiar with the bike (I trust you guys I swear!) and they've usually been really helpful.

Edit: And the signature/avatar thing isn't really that much different than a lot of other forums. Plus they seem really mature there. Definite asset if you have a GS.
They were my first experience with an owners group beyond the festiva mailing list. I got the impression all bikes had such a following. As I expanded the bikes I had.. I discovered that even popular bikes didn't have quite the dedicated following. The fact that the average GSer is in his or her 30's helps a lot.

That's where I learned all my stuff. My entire foothold in motorcycles was due to people on that forum. FirstTimer, EarlFor, JoeNardy... They showed me the ropes. I'm yet to meet someone from the forum that gives me the willies.

EDIT: Alternately I could keep my motorbike plain UJM, and just cafe-up the moped I intend to buy:

First off, UJM is an insulting term for a Japanese standard. EVERYTHING was a standard if you go back far enough. To take a Japanese bike and make it into a cafe racer is 100% kosher. To take a Japanese standard and make it a chopper is just as kosher. UJM is just to specific for what you're trying to say.

Second, that cafe job done to the moped is terrible. Get clip ons, or cafe bars. Don't half rear end it by turning a standard set of bars upside down. When you see stuff like that you're bound to find things like bubble gum wrappers in the fuse holder. You're better than that.

DiscoKid posted:

GS1000, first bike... collectable bike...
I didn't catch this was your first bike. I'll say this again. It's got 90hp. Though instead of a stupid move making a wheelie on a GS, it will light up the back tire. Slightly less dangerous, but it can end in a highside and tears quite quickly. It's definitely worth $1100. That bike was the fastest thing on two wheels when it was released. It still will hold it's own 0-60. (long wheelbase, and low CG helping that..) They're big, as you saw. They're also 630lbs.

I'm not saying you suck. But you will screw up. You will hurt the bike, and yourself.

http://appleton.craigslist.org/mcy/1075430974.html This is a GS550L. But hte owner put on less obnoxious handlebars. 49hp, 110mph.... It's very close to what I learned on. It's also only 480lbs, instead of 630.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Yes. And yes. They're the same motor. The GS1000/1100 bottom end is still the basis of many drag bikes.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Simkin posted:

Funny, you'd think newer, larger displacement engines would have superseded them by now. Is it just that they're a known quantity, or are they still pretty much the most solid engine to build power out of?
Like gnomad said. With aftermarket blocks you can have a streetable motor up to 1260cc. If you want to throw streetable to the wind, you can eliminate the air passages between the cylinders and go really big.

The cranks are virtually indestructible. The gearboxes need just minor undercutting to handle whatever power levels you want. The clutches are big enough for a small car. The crankcases don't fail unless a rod breaks.

The Hayabusa is on the same level, strength wise.

Most newer bikes have TINY clutches. Just big enough to handle stock power. They have gears designed to be JUST strong enough. They have crank spacing JUST wide enough to accomadate the stock pistons. All of that makes for smaller, lighter motors.

Basicly, the GS1000/1100/1150 bottom ends have lots of room to gently caress around. They're wildly overbuilt. They're strong. They're big. They're heavy. And they're easy to work on.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Simkin posted:

Wouldn't it just be easier to try to swap in a much larger displacement engine, and then build power from that? Turbo goldwing motor in a small frame? :v:
Why stop there. Doesn't Subaru make some big turbo flat sixes? Oh, how about a V8 swap? I think GM makes some lightweight V8's right?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

it's a GS500, all square tube frame GS twins were, and are 500's. That in particular is a GS500E.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It's not "that" hard. It's not needed though. The bikes handle cooking in traffic without the oil cooler just fine. they got the oil coolers when they got fairings. Fairings and air cooled bikes don't like to play nice.

Pro-tip, don't install a 2005+ GS500 motor into a pre-2005 frame without the oil cooler. ALL oil in the motor is routed through the cooler, by blocked off passages in the crankcase. Doing so will lead to spun bearings...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I don't see why an oil cooler would be needed drag racing.

There are kits available. But there's two nice places to drill and tap the crankcase on either side of the oil filter which will do nicely for an oil cooler.

other solutions tend to work around the oil pressure sender.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Okay, still kinda kicking myself on that GS450 for $1800, but I still have 6 weeks until I move to DC to find a bike there, or I can just use my car for a month or two until I find a decent bike.

Question: was the GS425 common enough in the states that it's worth putting into a search engine? Or should I stick to looking for the 400, 450, and 500E (the Standard, from before 500 came to mean a sporter)? The GS440 is an Enduro bike, so I think I'm just looking at 400/450/500E.

Because it says GS, doesn't mean it's a "gs" BMW and Maico have made GS's. The Maico 440 is a great bike, but not what you want ;-)

The GS425 is the GS for 1979. Yes, it's worth looking for 425's. The GS500 didn't get a fairing until 2004-2005. All GS500's are "sporty" bikes with the rectangular tube frames.

If I had to make a choice of whatever GS twin I wanted.. I'd go for a GS425. They've got the classic body style, and a bigger motor.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Great bike. Most likely asking to much money. The GL1000 was the sport tourer of it's day.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Okay, so still looking at small-frame UJM twins. How is this?

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1087044126.html
Did my last post regarding a GS450L completely slip your mind? That's both a better price, and looks to be in better shape. Absolutely no question, buy it.

Also, on the cruiser/standard/sportbike thing. Most people know jack poo poo about motorcycles. It's just the same with bicycles. Ask someone what sort of bike they have, and they'll tell you a: the color, or b: the brand. If you're really lucky they'll tell you it's "uh.. 750 cc I think."

And there's no year that the Japanese were making lovely bikes.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 2, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Not at all, I liked the 450 from the first it was mentioned, and your post was just more confirmation of that. It seems to be basically just what I'm looking for.

*seller negotiation*

Minor sidenote: is it easily doable and/or advisable to replace the bars? They just seem really high/prominent and I wouldn't mind something a bit lower for control and flash. Is that a common and acceptable mod on bikes like these? Is bar changes (and replacing the appopriate cables/wires) pretty much a "any fucktard with a proper toolbox" job?
So, on the seller thing. Ask nice. It's a bike, they want money. They probally want money more than the space. So they're likely to give you what you want.

Yes, swapping bars is easy. I do it to every bike i buy. It's step one to making the bike fit you.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Uh.... Mostly no.

The top green line does indicate the valve cover gasket. The red line indicates the base gasket, not the headgasket. The bottom green line doesn't indicate anything clearly, but in that area are the oil pan gasket, and clutch cover gasket . Both are rare leaks on any bike.

Base gasket leaks aren't that uncommon. But theyr'e also something that doesn't NEED to be fixed. Depending on severity it might just be a little bit of oil weeping.

A headgaskets don't exactly leak frequently on an air cooled bike.

That also said, replacing the valve cover gasket, and headgasket could be done in three or four hours by someone who's turned any wrenches before. The base gasket takes a little more time because you need to pull the block off the crankcase. Even that isn't a serious ordeal. All of this work can be done in bike, with the motor still installed.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Gr3y posted:

Don't confuse displacement with power. My bike is a 750cc and I'd be willing to be a Ninjette would be a fair bit faster then mine in most situations.
The idea is right, the example is wrong. 34hp is 34hp, no matter how you cut it. A ninja 250 will be spanked in almost any situation by your 750. You have more like 70hp, and a bike that doesn't weigh twice as much. on top of having this thing called torque....

Now if you wanna have some real fun, look up the stats on a NSR250, or RGV250 or a RS250, and compare those to your 750 :-)

quote:

My dad has a 1200cc Harley. You accidentally grab (or chop for that matter) a handful of throttle or go a little hard on the brakes and the bike remains relatively manageable. On, say, and older GSX 1100 R (similar displacement) there's a good chance doing either of those things means your going to rapidly be on one wheel.
That 1200cc harley, has about as much power as your 750cc honda. (given stock power numbers)

My favorite example is comparing a Harley 1200cc motor and a ZX12 motor. 70hp versus 190hp.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Not to be a dick, or a clueless noob, but I'm unclear as to what one actually does with more than the 40hp a G450 puts out.
That's a good question isn't it? At some point you end up changing direction in a corner fast enough that 20hp or so isn't enough to keep your velocity up. Other than that, horsepower is about playing. Low horsepower has it's joys too.

Captain Apollo posted:

1200cc harley and 1200cc zx12 = completely different in hp.
If you want to really twist your mind. Check out their torque numbers. Forget RPM for a few minutes while you're looking at that. A few years back I started trying to figure out what made motors better than others. It was a real trip finding out that for the same technology, motors make about the same amount of torque for a given displacement.

8ender posted:

The most interesting is the Goldwing vs. the Ninja because they're so close. The Goldwing has a stout engine but is hampered by its weight. This is course doesn't take into account gear ratios and such but these numbers are pretty close to reality. The Ninja can easily keep up with the Goldwing even when its going balls out.

Power to weight is funny. It tells you a lot from say.. 30-60mph. But as you end up going faster, power and aerodynamics takes over. The ninja and goldwing would likely be neck and neck 20-60mph. The Goldwings greater power will take over as speeds get higher.

The Lotus Elise sprints from 0-60 in no time at all, because it's power to weight is great. It's top speed blows due to it's total power output being so low in comparison to it's "competition."

Cars and bikes at Bonneville carry ballast. They frequently have crap power to weight ratios. But total power, and total drag are what matters for top speed.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

That's the thing. Even with 63hp, my GS550 is to easy to ride well outside the legal limits when going "balls to the wall." The moped I can race, and ride at the very edges anytime I like, and not fear prosecution.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

pr0zac posted:

I know this has been asked before but I've never really paid attention to the answer, how annoying is buying a bike where the owner doesn't have a title.

The seller said: "Hey man! I'm away from the bike at the moment so I can't send any other photos at the moment. Have had it for a month and hadn't switch the title yet. But I have the title. 19572 is the milage. Any other questions let me know. Thanks!" and am wondering how difficult this will be for me to deal with.

As long as the bike isnt' stolen. it's a $140 fix. figure that into the cost.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

If i'm really lucky...

I'm trading this:

A 1986 GS550ES, with title. Not currently running.

For this:

A 1973 Yamaha AT3, 125cc. Running, with title.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ziploc posted:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/1130338736.html

I want this soooooooooooooooooooooo bad. Its about a 800$ to much though.

and virtually imposable to find parts for. You're not missing "much".

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

That 550ES is wha tI ride. It's got the wrong tank on it.. so it's either a new tank, or it's a E to ES conversion.

I'd buy that over the CBR250. Torque has it's uses, the CBR250 won't have it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MrZig posted:

And that GS500es doesn't look well taken care of. We'll find something! Only got two weeks.

It's a 550ES. The 500 and 550 are very, very different bikes. The 550's have 63hp, versus the 500's 39. The 550 is a 4 valve 4 cylinder, and uses oil cooling on the heads. The 500 is a 2 valve 2 cylinder, and is entirely air cooled. The 550 has remote rear preload, and antidive forks. The 500... doesn't.

The 550ES is in good enough shape, it's not rotted out.. though I'd want shots of the frame near the swingarm pivot and exhaust before paying $1500. $1000 cdn would be very fair.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MrZig posted:

Er, that's what I meant. I just woke up, shh.

That 550ES looks like it "might" need tires. And it will need intake o-rings. (that's the unpredictable idle he's talking about) otherwise, it's in better shape than my own.

And you need to admit, you got a very special (as in shortbus) bike.