Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Aye, I suggested it because 750's hit a nice nitche where you can use most of the power but they have the torque to tow you around without having to shift all the time. Plus, like Z3n said, the 2005's were the prettiest era of modern GSXRs...

a 750 isn't going to kill you any faster than a 600 would coming from a 250. It's not ideal, but it's not like a 250 prepares you for a 600SS anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I'm 5'8" and weigh about 140, and fit perfect on almost any sportbike. I did a 3,500+ mile trip on my CBR F2 a couple months ago. Suck it tall people!

We get our revenge when you come to a stop and fall over because of your pathetic legs

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ohwandernearer posted:

SV 650s 2006 with 9000 miles and rash on the fairing +$$$?

The bonnie's way cooler and if I were you I'd just mod it until it was a good distance bike.

That said, the SV is a decent touring bike. It's fairly comfy as motorcycles with a sporty focus go. To tour you may want to raise the clip ons and pad the seat some more, most people do. There are a lot of luggage options and the bike has no issues sustaining freeway speeds for 1,000 miles at a time if thats your bag, plus its fun in the twisty stuff. Is a bike that could fit your needs, for sure.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

KTM 690 Duke

Duke all the way.

Mike, I rocked a 690 SMC for my only bike for a while and only found it lacking for long trips (like, LONG trips). Again, it's the most fun bike on your list there. Monsters would make a great daily. That Brutale suggestion isn't a joke, your YMMV but around Seattle they've actually been popping up on craiglist for dirt cheap.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Found a sweet Ducati for sale locally...

So I sent the guy an email asking if he wants to trade for a Ducati StreetFighter...

Someone who may be me posted:

Interested in a trade for a 2010 Ducati Streetfigther in red with 7k miles?

seller posted:

I don't understand what u want to trade for, I have a streetfighter with only 3400 miles on it. Let me know

probably me posted:

I want to trade my street fighter for your street fighter so I can have a street fighter to replace my streetfighter

seller posted:

Dude u need help ur a retard why would I do that I have less miles on mine don't waste my time

:(

I guess I don't know the guy selling it then... ah well.

No trade for me.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sending people messages on CL asking if they'll trade straight up for a Ducati Streetfighter is a bit of a hobby for me; Usually targeting the worst of the worst ads.

I know most of the Streetfighter and Ducati riders in the Seattle area from events, trackdays, rides and such... it thought it was one of the local guys from DNW selling and I'd harass him a bit.. turns out it wasn't.

Thought it was mildly amusing, carry on.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

He can't see you through the smoke, hear you through the noise, or read that through the ignore.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Don't buy the ZZR600. They eat legs.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Gonna second the drz as well. 100 pounds lighter than the klr, modern suspension, etc. Cheap, available, bulletproof...can't really beat it.

Calling the DRZ modern shows how antiquated a KLR must feel.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Suzuki DRZ400SM!

I'm willing to bet that you won't find anyone in this entire subforum who'll disagree.

Keep your eye out, you might find someone dumping a Husky 610 and the extra cash over a well farkled good condition DRZ is worth it if you do, DRZ is a great first bike if you don't.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Per your requirement about doing straight long stretches without pain, the 510 is absolutely off your shopping list.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

omgitstheinternet posted:

Other bikes Ive vaguely considered:
- Suzuki SV650
- Suzuki GSX-R600
- Honda CBR600RR
- Yamaha R6

Roughly translating what you have listed here into car terms, scaled up on the 'speed' axis:

Other cars Ive vaguely considered:
-Subaru WRX
-A Blue Ferrarri F430
-A Red Ferrari F430
-A Yellow Ferrari F430

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Get the ABS model and it'll hold its value better, plus, ABS is good for beginners.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Why?

Why have a ZX6-R, a GS500 and a liter bike?

Get something cool. You've got the inline 4 bike thing covered. It'll be a good bit faster than your ZX6-R but personally I don't understand the garage you are trying to build.

Get an Aprilia or a Ducati, a liter bike twin for something different, or get a nice supermoto or something cool like a cafe or a GT1000.

Maybe it's just me but having those three bikes in the garage seems boring as hell. You'll just find you ride one all the time and sell the other two.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

frozenphil posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a craigslist ad where the seller admits to being the one to drop the bike, unless it was in his garage/driveway/bed of pillows when it tipped over.

I said as much when I sold my DRZ and my KTM. Both buyers were total suckers though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

CombatMedic posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Ducati Diavel vs. the HD Night Rod Special?

Ones loud like a persistent fart and comfy
Ones loud like an angry beast and fast and comfy

One will get you gilfs and cause you to ride 10 under the speed limit in the AARP land train
One comes with a star bucks card and a years fake tan spray

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

Owning both a SV650 and a 600cc I-4 SuperSport is the best thing in the world.

Not as good as a KTM 690 SMC and Ducati SF... man 2010 was awesome...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Gotta say, if the SF was a little more comfortable, that'd be my dream garage too.

As it is, I'm still debating what my perfect garage would be...

Having pranced down the roads of Sicily, honestly... I think the dream is alive in Austria.

KTM 300 EXC, 350 SX-F, 690 SMC, 990 SD-R, RC8R and a 690 Enduro w/ rally fairing or dealers choice 990 Adventure VS 990 Enduro.

All in Orange, kill me and I'll die a happy man.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

TTR125 for the boy and a 230 for yourself you really can't go wrong, and can probably get both for under 3k (total) in fantastic condition.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Xovaan posted:

But really anything more than 100 horsepower is just plain sillyabsolutely spectacular

Horsepower is like beauty. It's not the only thing that matters, and you can love her dearly even if she isn't the prettiest, but boy does it sure help and when there is an abundance it's so very good.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Pretty low on horsepower, looks like a pretty boring starter bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Instead of buying a Buell Blast, buy literally anything else.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Bixington posted:

The only people that use it are the ones under Harley, and the only reasons they use the awful things are due to them being worthless and them having no other choice.

I didn't even look at the ad. $2500 will get so so many nice motorcycles, please don't buy a Blast.

The guys ad says he's selling because he lost interest in riding motorcycles. This is what will happen to you if you buy a Blast.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I repeat, do not buy a Buell Blast. It doesn't matter (sorry) if there is a smattering of people who like them. They are hateful, vile little things with no redeeming value compared to easily obtainable and cheap competitors.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

astrollinthepork posted:

Yes ignore the people who actually have experience on a Blast outside of an MSF course.

Yes, because Blasts are awful, no matter where they are.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm so glad I misread that and you HAD a blast and didn't BUY a Blast.

I care not for the cruiser types so can gift no great wisdom but welcome to team motorcycles, enjoy your stay.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

n8r posted:

I just traded out my Falco for a 2000.5 RSVR - couldn't resist the full ohlins bling.

Those are sweet, my old neighbor had whatever the last year before they went to the RSV4 was, let me take it for a spin. I had the StreetFighter at the time and lots of seat time on 1098's/1198's and it's a very similar beast. Super fun. Be careful, a bike like that might as well print a speeding ticket every other time you turn it on.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

How long did you ride it, how many miles? Did you like it? What didn't you like about it? What would you do differently, where do you live, what kind of riding do you do, etc?

Until then I recommend a RED motorcycle or a GREEN scooter.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

I really want a Daytona 675 Triple...I live near no twisties, so I'm not even worried about that.

Well I guess your life isn't in danger then.

Nothing wrong with the zukes'

If you're picking a Japanese 600, go with which one you like the looks of most... the rest is mostly negligible.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Anyone have recommendations on where to get a bike in the bay area?

Strike a money deal with Z3n, get him to find you a bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Keep the bandit.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Not sure what you're referring to here. Only engines with evenly spaced firing orders sound right to you?

If you want a cool sport bike you need a Buell, haven't you heard? They're like, wicked awesome.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's designed from the ground up to be a beginner bike. That is the nicest thing it is possible to say about the Buell Blast.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

tbb9 posted:

is there anything inherently wrong with them? I like the idea of a big single cylinder with belt drive and it looks like it would have a more comfortable seating position than a 250

Here's Buells own ad for the 2010 Buell Blast

It was widely considered the best model year for the blast.

The seating position is pretty good, they can be had cheap, they are super beginner friendly from a engine power point of view but there are so many bikes that are good beginner bikes that are better in every way that I'd encourage you to explore far and wide before buying a Blast. No Tach, many people have very poor reliability problems, they shake like nothing you've ever sat on, and a super clunky gear box, as well as poor brakes, bad suspension, etc are the usual complaints about the Blast.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 2, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

On a recent trip across the pond I saw a guy wheelie down the street on one of the new Duke 690 Rs and I've never been more covetous.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Buy the blast. You'll totally love it like it appreciate its reliability appreciate how smooth it rides appreciate its performance appreciate its aftermarket get 10x more FREEDOM per MILE than your comparable Ninja 250 owner have a motorcycle if you do that.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I don't care what the situation is, first person cash in hand who is buying gets what I'm selling. I'll be up front with any sellers about where they are in 'line' of people showing up, but if you agree to come at 8 and someone wants to come at 7:30 and brings cash. I'll let you know they're coming at 7:30 but I wouldn't stop for a second to sell it to the first guy who pays up.

I held a bike once for a buyer who was a sure thing who later backed out. Never again. If its a friend or someone in the local bike communities that's one thing, but random guy on CL? Money talks.

Next time when you know you are ready to buy a bike, cash in hand at home, find bike, call guy, head straight over. It's not always possible but if you know you are bike shopping and you have a budget, have that budget in cash on hand to snag the real good deals.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 12, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

epalm posted:

Wow, I didn't know these existed. Looks like a supermoto-VStrom.

I got to take one for a spin for a few minutes. Great bikes, very comfortable, but the whole time there is this devil on your shoulder reminding you that you can go full retard anytime you want.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

General rule of thumb:

No title = loving nightmare/Walk away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Traaaaaaacccckkkk bike!