Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Buy my FZ-10 and show your kid how cool you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ignore him. Fix your ad to target Bagel Bros

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Anyone ~4ft tall who is incel enough to lose their poo poo at any opportunity.

I hope this has been helpful

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There is only one thing that can make him feel alive again

THIS

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I was just thinking today about how I want to make a FZ09 track bike to hoon around on effortlessly when the RSV4 has worn me out mentally/physically.

Just get a real SM DRZs are boring as poo poo

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

MV had a fun one where the bike would collect telemetry you could view once you paired it with the cell phone companion app.

Forever.

Until it filled up the storage.

And bricked the ECU.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Yeah ity you can buy a not-stupid bike and bypass it with a paperclip.

I swear a lot of orange bike people are just burning consumers looking for dumb poo poo to spend their money on.

Yo the forum for old men talking about how their 2018 bikes from the 80's are the best because they never break while putting two feet down at every stop light is actually https://advrider.com/f/, yw

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Everyone in the middle left these dead gay forums years ago and for the next 20 years it'll just be the euro trash vs the japan schrott endlessly making GBS threads back and forth forever until president Baron outlaws everything but harleys

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Scramblers should be basically fine for reliability, the engine is an old design. The real risk is drops will be expensive and 'light offroad' doesn't mean you wont necessarily take a rock to a case or something else that would be a lovely repair on such a bike.

Honestly you liked the Himalayan which is a heavy, wallowy, fat slow unreliable pig of a bike so you have a TON of options for fat heavy slow pigs that are cheap and reilable

any Suzuki DR or Kawasaki DR knock off, V-strom, honda XR L piggies, etc and the like
If you want modern and scrambly' Yamaha makes one very similar to the Ducati - I forget the moniker but it uses the triple engines that are bulletproof. Find a hearty skid plate and go bananas.

Also it'll run for 100k miles without you ever having to think about it.

Edit: I was thinking about the XSR and apparently they dont have a light-ADV version that I thought they did. Must have dreamt' it. Sorry.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 12, 2019

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah maybe I conflated that bike with the XSR and thought there was a triple-scrambler

I only lust after dad-bikes and track-bikes these days so HMU thread if you wanna talk about 10 year old superbikes and how to crash them or 21K+ bikes with too many farkles and features. Otherwise I'm straight useless.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What kind of a budget do you think you'll have? Are you looking at new only (financing) or a stack of cash?

There are a lot of bikes that I think fit into that category well but knowing what you are looking to spend is probably the bets way to start swinging in the right direction.

A DR (or any big thumper) is going to tick MOST of those boxes maybe with the exception of 2 up highway cruising comfort. Big pluses in the 'ride it on semi-serious off road' a few times a year and fire road manners. Great, simple commuters who are basically incapable of leaving you stranded.

If you want more two up comfort and freeway manners I'd be thinking bikes like...

Kawi Verseys
V-strom
BMW p-twin ADVers
Africa twin
Triumph XC

All of these can be had new for not too much money or used going back as far as a decade for 'cheap' so should span any budget you have in mind.

Those middle weight ADV bikes are great all' rounders. I don't know if you were drawn to the Scrambler and the Himalaya because of low inseam height but lowering is always an option. If you like that more classic look and Scrambler feel someone else may know that market better than I do.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 12, 2019

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'd say the primary separator between nearly all those bikes in light off-road / bad roads is tires. They all have roughly the same clearance and ability to clear mud out of the fenders (poor to OK). ADV bikes where you want to ride mostly pavement are all compromise anyway. The larger front wheels (19"+) are going to handle off road better and have chunkier options than 17" tires but the options have come a long way. A pair of Avon Distanzias and a cool head will get you through just about any road that you wouldn't call a dirt bike trail.

I think find the bike that interests you the most with the engine configuration / style / price you are happy with and then work your way towards better off-road manners with tires and maybe some crash protection.

The rest is mostly in the wrist and between the ears

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I don't know that I'd say a SV650 is going to get blown around more so than any other bike. After probably a combined 25k miles on SV's I'd say they are perfect for commuting of just about any sort.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm no expert, but this sounds both bad for riding and really annoying to ride

- Every 70's bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Since were having old posters chat where did z3n go

West coast crew keeps him locked up these days ruining perfectly good motorcycles