Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Ironically I'm looking at the below r6 right now to fixup and upgrade too from my ex500. I've noticed the 500 is really middle ground where guys on hogs will still give me the motorcycle wave, and guys on sport bikes still ask if I can wheelie it and how fast it goes.

http://savannah.craigslist.org/mcy/869708562.html

My question is how much work goes into replacing all that says is needed in the add (new head because of bent valve)? I have the money for it and it has been on craigslist for awhile so I'm sure I could talk him down to about an even grand. I only have two concerns with it. One is that it is complete poo poo and I would end up reselling it after putting money into it and finding this out. The second is that I won't have the mechanical know how to fix it. I really don't know to much about mechanics but I learn quick and could figure it out if I found some sort of walk through. I could park it in my dorms parking spot with my 500 while fixing it.

TLDR; is the above bike trash or too much work for someone who isn't the master of mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I got some more details, 12000 miles and a salvage title, so I'm going to pass on it. I might take the chance if I wasn't a poor college student but he won't budge from the $1200 and I don't see it being worth anymore than a grand. With that many things replaced it was thrashed on. Thanks for the help though.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1037162845.html

That seems like a very very good deal. If I had the cash and about 15k more miles under my belt I would be very tempted to pull the trigger and buy it. Something about Ducati's and triumphs always tickles my fancy.

On the talk of killing yourself upgrading up to a new bike, I have a quick question. I plan on riding my ex500 into the ground, or until next January, whichever comes first. Would the jump from a Ninja 500 to a Triumph 675 be too much? I've never been able to test ride the 675 so I really have no idea how much faster it is then a regular 600ss, if faster at all. If all goes according to plan (my bike doesn't break) I should have about 7k-10k miles in the saddle of my 500 at that point.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Do you feel like you're getting everything you can out of your current bike?
I haven't been able to bring it to a track yet and the only thing I haven't done is drag knee, because I have never needed to push it that hard on the streets. Plus It lacks some serious highway power.

Nerobro posted:

Have you felt the back end slide around under power? Were you in control of it?
I can safely say that on the 500, I've only ever felt the rear end slide around under power in the rain and I got off the throttle before it became a problem. I actually want to toy around on a friends dirtbike this summer just to get used to that feeling, because it seemed borderline fun if in the right situation (not in traffic or on the streets).

Nerobro posted:

Are you prepared to crash $13k or bike?
I'd be buying it used probably, with cash I'm saving up for it now, and it would have insurance. Regardless of how I buy it though it will be bought cash, because I'm not getting sucked into one of those crazy interest bike loans. So yes, but it's not something I would be looking forward too.

Nerobro posted:

When was your last accidental wheelie?
My second time on the bike, dropped the clutch on accident.

Nerobro posted:

Were you in control of your last wheelie? How about your last stoppie?
Wheelie, yes very much so, as it was intentional and only maybe a few inches off the ground. I've never done a stoppie on the 500, because the brakes are poo poo and I would have to really really grab far to much front brake. So I think if I were to upgrade, a parking lot session getting used to the brakes would be in order, but I consider myself a very level headed rider for my age.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

So...my advice is: Ride something managable until you feel really comfortable on it, like it's your bike with no suprises, and then, look at yourself, decide if you're responsible, and upgrade to whatever the hell you want. I don't own a big bike because I'm not responsible enough on the street. Poor impulse control. :xd:

That's exactly where I'm at, no surprises anymore. I remember the first 3 or 4 months of having my 500, I was amazed that people started on faster bikes, as I was blown away at how quick it was. Now its only a 500 to me. I think I've gotten a lot out of it for sure, and I ride love riding it like I stole it when allowed, I just want something with a little more of a kick in the pants when finances allow. I would probably have been scared out of motorcycle riding if I had started on anything bigger though, and I feel like I'm a much stronger rider than most with my experience because of it.

Thanks everyone, time to start saving and scouting for deals on 675's.

Edit: Also to the wrongity wrong, I was turning out onto a highway when it broke loose, and the by backing off I meant I didn't slam the throttle open to keep accelerating, I kept it where it was. I learned that whole getting out of the throttle/brake when the rear loses traction thing the hard way my first few days of riding when I locked the rear and got bucked slightly out of then back into the saddle, scaring myself straight. I know I still need some work on it though, hence the dirtbike

Trintintin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 17, 2009

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Once I fix the clutch on my ex500, I'm planning on selling it. How dumb of an idea would it be to buy this? http://savannah.craigslist.org/mcy/1053042766.html

I can only assume the maintenance would be absurd, but I don't really know. It's pretty much a street legal CRF 450 with a supermoto kit, and I've been eyeing up supermotos a whole bunch lately. I know the 450 dirt bikes are supposed to be stupidly quick and light, but it seems like a half decent deal if I can come up with the money for it.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Yeah thats what I figured, It's just such a drat good deal and I've grown to love supermotos.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ I've been heavily debating it, if the 500 ever sells We'll see which way I go. \/\/\/\/\/\/

Trintintin fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 5, 2009

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Simkin posted:

Nah, mods are sunk cost. Kbb on that bike is probably ~$6k at most, so maybe shoot him an offer for 4 and work from there.

I agree, use the fact that the bike now looks like a really big snail with the swingarm and new tail as a bargaining tool, because snails are really slow, regardless of their turbos.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Iniquitous posted:

Checking out a Ninja 500: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/1094700029.html

Looks pretty good. It's priced below blue book value. Emailed the guy asking for some background on the bike. I'll probably go look at it this weekend after I go pick up a helmet, jacket, and pants (already have boots and gloves).

Ask him if its gotten its 20k mile maintenance because if I remember correctly, it cost me a couple hundred bucks because they check your valves and everything like that.

I'd bet this time of year he probably only got a few offers around 1500 for it, so I'd try and play alittle hardball with him. If it hasn't had its 20k mile maintenance yet then I personally wouldn't pay more than 1800 for it to even out the price. But I'm a cheap rear end.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Even though I don't have the money for it yet, I'm doing some searching around to see what kind of price range I could be looking at. I figure I'm going to save around 6-10k USD then buy a new bike. Now with that I could easially buy a z1000 with under 500 miles on it, but I could also buy something like these.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/1075832004.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/1104375369.html

Its pretty obvious that its older so its not as valuable, and it works the same way with cars, but what are the reasons not to buy a 2000-2003 aged rare motorcycle that I've lusted after forever, opposed to the very practical z1000. I would assume insurance would be ridiculous (but sometimes things like that are deceptive, I remember a goon saying his Ariel Atoms insurance was dirt cheap) and I would also assume maintenance would be ridiculously expensive on a rarer bike.

If you goons were given the option of a brand new z1000, or a slightly used MV F4, for nearly the same price, to be your only motorcycle, what would you take realistically, and why.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

blugu64 posted:

The fun starts at the 500th mile.

That it does, because at that point you start to go insane with being stuck in a helmet on a motorcycle on the super slab.

That said, guy who thought he was to fat for a sport bike, you're not. Ride what you want, not what you think will look best. Also the ninja 500 and 250 are upright seated like a standard so you wont have any issues with wrist hurt or anything.

I'm 250 at 5'11 and my 500 was more than enough power to learn on, and was borderline crazy for me the first month with speed. The 250 will be completely fine for you go test ride one already!

On topic of getting a new bike, I'm starting my saving for a new bike phase this summer, and I cannot loving wait to be riding again. I'm probably going to upgrade to a 750, but if the deal is right, there is one liter bike that has my eye (drat you MV f4). For those who have ridden liter bikes what should I be expecting when I inevitably test ride one in the future. My mind is basically prepared for ridiculous torque and power from any point on the powerband that if hamfisted will power wheelie (which makes my insides all happy with excitement). Maybe people have built up liter bikes to more then they are for me, but the way it was explained to me is it's like that first time you went fast on your first motorcycle, every single time you ride.

Mentally and skill wise I'm ready for an upgrade for sure, now its just time to get the money for said upgrade.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

talking_head posted:

This is what a fat man looks like on a sportbike. Dude should've gone with the Harley.

Jesus christ it's like the stay puft marshmallow man learned to ride a motorcycle.

To reword though, that man is not fat, that man is morbidly obese.

Edit: What the hell is he even doing.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

People who buy motorcycles because they're practical end up with a lifetime of riding SVs and BMWs.

A motorcycle will never be practical, and as a logical extension, should always be completely insane. The Brutale's not a nice price point of performance and cost..it's a loving Italian motorcycle. It looks like it's going a thousand miles an hour sitting in your garage. At any moment, a swarm of confused models could drop from the sky to rub themselves on it.

A motorcycle should always have at least one additional insane thing about it...the Brutale's got like 9. Buy it. Ride it year round. Take it off road. Give the finger to all the MV owners who carefully rub their wheels down with shammie clothes and lovingly drizzle wax over their bikes in a regimented ritual, before turning on the bike, letting it warm up, reving it to 4 grand once and then turning it off and cleaning it again. "Was it good for you too?"

gently caress those guys. Buy it. Abuse it. Give it redline, power wheelies, stoppies, lurid slides and stupid overtakes. Wheelie for children, disgust parents. Power corrupts, italian power corrupts absolutely.

This advice shouldn't be taken by anyone. Last time I took it I almost ended up in jail.

Just when I thought I was going to dip into the mv savings to grab a poo poo r6 to cruise on I read this, and disregard the bottom. Who wants to start a get Trintintin his MV agusta f4 quicker paypal account?

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Oakey posted:

Been browsing CL since I've had the idle thought of picking up a 2nd bike at the end of the season when everyone gets rid of their bikes. I don't really know much about Aprilias. I wonder what's wrong with it? Scam is my first thought but it's been reposted a bunch of times with that same phone # but the price slowly dropping.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/1247835087.html

If you could email him and get him to take some legit pictures I'd say its not a scam. The fact that it's posted in all caps makes me think its just someone who has no idea how the internet works, especially craigslist, I'd check to see it was properly broken in and all that jazz if you were interested in it. It's very possible he bought it thinking 'oh sexy bike' and then realized the maintenance cost a lot more then a normal bike/is a lot harder to get done.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Hirayama posted:

What's the general consensus on the Daytona 675? I sat on that blue and white 2010 SE model yesterday and, aside from being an rear end-killer, it was glorious.

They're gorgeous and (a plus for me) is not many people have them. I enjoy not owning the same bike everyone else is riding, and good lood that triple sounds amazing. I've never been able to ride one, but having sat on them many a time and talking to the people who ride them, they're incredibly light. They're also amazingly balanced which makes it feel like it literally weighs nothing. Supposedly they corner like champs as well.

But seriously, triples sound amazing and that new paint scheme looks awesome, I've always liked them in blue.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I'm thinking about picking up state farm the closer I get to my potential MV. From what I've heard you have to have a car insured through them to get them to insure a motorcycle, but I'd be willing to switch car insurance over for it.

That said, I've been shopping around for MV's as of lately, and even though the market is small, I've noticed the f4 750's happen to be massively cheaper then the 1000's. I assume this is due to the 'If I'm spending big bucks on a super-machine, I want it to be the fastest super-machine' type logic. For people who have ridden both 750cc and 1000cc sportbikes, is there any reason I would want a liter bike over the 750? Previous riding experience is almost 10k miles on a Ninja 500.

Trintintin fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 15, 2009

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Every time I've talked myself out of wanting the MV, something like this pops up.
http://tinyurl.com/nbe2cr

I was almost fully talking myself out of it and into a triumph 675, for insurance purposes. But of course, a MV with under 2k miles, still under warrenty, within 2 hours from where I live pops up. Please talk me out of this CA.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Reserve still isn't met and there are 5 days left on the auction. I think he wants like 13k or something along those lines (its posted on an MV forum as well). I think my plan is to hold off, hope reserve never gets met, then lowball him via the forums.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Why would a bike with only 32k on it need rebuilding?

Because bike engines explode after 20,000 miles. So anything after 30,000 miles means it's probably going to turn to dust. Right?

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Is your riding gear....a puma track suit?

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
The local dealership is going out of business. It was one of two motorcycle dealers in the area, the first closed about 3 months ago, and now they're closing shop. I'm going in tomorrow to check out what kind of deals they have running because I've heard some absolutely ridiculous rumors. I really wasn't planning on buying a new bike, but who knows if the price is right I could be walking home with an R6 or ZX6r tomorrow.

So I guess my question is, what price on a brand new 0 miles 600ss(yamaha or kawasaki) would make you buy it without a second thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Completely let down. I caught wind of a new r6 for sale at the closing dealership for under 5k. Said r6, was an 04, had 12k miles on it, a chopped stock exhaust, and cracked fairings on the right side that were taped together. Pretty much everything was just slashed by $1000, which isn't anything worth screaming over. They had gloves 20% off and helmets 25% off, but of course no helmets in my size, and I don't really need gloves.

I'll just wait for craiglist sales when it starts snowing to buy a new to me bike cheap I guess.