Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i've been riding at least a little just about every day and i'm getting to the point where I'm a little sick of city riding. i'd like to take some trips farther afield. here in seattle that pretty much means going on I5 for a significant distance, and my darling little tu250x isn't quite up to the task. going south through seattle there are several spots where you need to merge or exit from the left side of the highway and it generally feels a little unsafe maxing out at ~75mph with a long runway and a tail wind. I want to go to portland or canada, both of which will take about 4 hours of highway riding.

the closest dealer to me is triumph. would it be really stupid to get a bonneville or a thruxton? i have also had my eye on the royal enfield 650s they sell.

also i really want this old bmw https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/751932659188195
it's so dreamy :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
yeah i've been planning to do that, too. i have some reasons to go to portland, though, and i don't have access to a car.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Nitrox posted:

But don't buy brand new anything is your first bike, you are going to eff it up many times over as you learn. Just buy one that's already fell down a few times and is priced accordingly

unless you have some local friends who are familiar with motorcycles, i would softly challenge this advice. if you go used, i suggest getting something from a real dealer and not some anon on craigslist or cycletrader. when you are new to the game it can be hard to tell if there is anything frustratingly or dangerously wrong with a used bike. my first bike came with 11 year old tires because i didn't know you could just check the codes printed right on the sidewall.

i definitely agree with the chorus that your first bike should be light. certainly sub-400lbs

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So we're still seeing reliability issues in aggregate on the Enfields, yeah?

i'm not sure there is actually evidence of this for the interceptor, but you probably didn't come here for empiricism

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
what about a versys or a klr?

ducati scrambler was a good shout too.

if you really like the look of the interceptor, you could think about a triumph street twin (if money isn't a concern)

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
honestly, I think the 650 enfields are cool and would work well for your commute

I am a rank newby though so I defer to other opinions

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i have a continental gt and it's been great for my commute (i work from home)

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

wow, this is gorgeous

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
how dumb would I be to buy a used sv650s?

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

MSPain posted:

how dumb would I be to buy a used sv650s?

alternatively...
https://seattleusedbikes.com/motorcycle/1995-ducati-900-ss-cr

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i bought a 2007 sv650s

i hope you are happy with yourselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
PO put an insanely small pipe on it and threw out the baffle. i'm downright embarrassed to ride it until the replacement arrives.

the bike is an absolute menace in it's current form

from what little tootling around I've done i can tell i'm going to love the handling though