Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Captain Apollo posted:

asdjflajsdkfjlaksdjfklasjdlfjadskfjlsdf

He sold it right before I called. I'm retarded I guess.

I had craigslist on quickdraw for 2-3months with cash in hand before I found something purchase-worthy, and didn't sell within 30-60min of being posted. Keep looking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

-I like stripped-down bikes, brutal looking bikes, and bikes with little-to-no "swoopiness", flash, rocket-ness, etc. A non-bike friend saw my Nighthawk and asked "What's with the WWII bike?" and it filled me with joy.

This can only end one way.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Nerobro posted:

The enfields have been upgraded a little over the years. They're using a modern carb. They have electronic ignition now. And they're running a 12 volt electrical system.

Disk brakes are an option now too!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

mostly distance riding and LONG road trips (think 6,000+ miles).

Been reading trip reports eh? Welcome to the club ;)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

This is all I saw.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Aww, I can't remember who makes them, but they're customs based off of a harley engine. The distinctive thing is the flowerpot style, side mount air filter buisness.

S&S? Confederate?

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 25, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

CoolBlue posted:

I read the same article, except I happen to remember the name :)

http://www.ecossemoto.com/index.htm

Looks like a fancy Buell.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Not to be a dick, or a clueless noob, but I'm unclear as to what one actually does with more than the 40hp a G450 puts out.

I've got a CB250 with 20 horse, and I really find it pretty acceptable for almost everything I do. The only reasons I "need" a bigger bike are that it's a bit wobbly if it's really windy on the interstate (starts to feel really skittish at 60mph+ especially), it's a big sluggish on really steep hills (little windy steep roads in the TX Hill Country), and it'd be nice to have a max a bit above 80mph so I can pass better or zip out of trouble on the interstate. For the city driving that makes up the vast majority of my riding it's totally satisfactory.

So I don't quite get why folks need 70+ horsepower, outside of being on a track. Hey, free country, so I'm not against their having more, I'm just a little confused as to why 40hp is considered barely adequate when it gets you up to 100+mph on the interstate, and even my little 20hp can dust plenty of cars from a dead stop at a red light.

I think I'm in a great spot to answer this question, and it really is a decent question. I really never thought I'd need/want more power then my Ninja 250 offers, and I really didn't. Then I rode from Dallas to Los Angeles, and let me tell you, going up some of those several mile long grades kicked my 250s rear end. It made it, but it took some real effort. Something with 50hp or so would have made crossing almost painless I think. I'm now saving for a more powerful bike, I'm thinking either a CB750 or an SV650. (busa)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

However, Captain Apollo did offer to ride any bike I buy in Austin up to DC for me...

I'll do it for half, and stay in cheaper motels.

Gr3y posted:

And if he's anywhere around Phoenix he should check out my CB750... then buy an SV.

Actually I'll be passing though phoenix tomorrow (saturday). If you want to ride north to the grand canyon shoot me an email blugu64@gmail.com

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 4, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Gr3y posted:

poo poo just noticed this post. Probably too late, and I don't have enough experience to ride that far anyway.

If you're still in the Phoenix metro area and want to check out the bike the offer stands. I've sent you an email just now.

All good man, I was booking it hard today. When you're ready for some insane roads, let me know, I found some stupid great roads in arizona.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Gnomad posted:

I was down in Phoenix a couple years back and looked into renting a bike. Found the bike but the timing wasn't so great and fedexing my gear was going to run $50, so I rented a car and drove the Apache Trail as far as I could until the darkness set in. If I had a weekend to ride, I'd rent a bike just for that one road.

Not going to have time to check that one out. My road is US191 from Springerville to Clifton. You'll target fixate yourself off a cliff and won't even care. There are portions where you can look across the valley and see where you were a bit ago, look down into the valley and see where you will be in 10 min, and then look further down where you will be 10min after that.

Click here for the full 653x490 image.

I should get back to Dallas in a few days and then have time to type up my report on The Most Awesome Commute(tm)

EDIT:Derail over; everybody go buy Ninja250s.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I just found out about the ZR7. I think I'm in love.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Simkin posted:

Why hello there, sailor. ;-*

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've owned it for a bit over a year (and ~16,000km).

More pics please! and forgive me for the interrogation but you did said feel free. As I've never owned anything air cooled, how easily will it overheat considering it is an aircooled engine? What is it like for touring, seating position/seat/comfort at speed? Ever ridden two up on it, if so how did that work out? It looks like it'd be a bit better at touring/two up riding then an SV650, and looks (oh boy) alot cooler then one too. What is the service schedule like? It seems like I'm adjusting the valves on the ninja 250 every other month, and I'd imagine it's simpler to work on/maintain being aircooled and all.

Tell me its good for touring, has a fairly upright seating position, and that I'm not going to be doing the valves every third weekend, and I think I'd buy one that looks just like this.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

looks like it holds 15oz of gas

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Inertiatic posted:

I'm scheduled to take the MSF course in a few weeks time so I figured I'd start looking for my first bike. I always figured I'd start with a Ninja 250r, but considering I'm 5'11 and 205lbs, am I too heavy for it? Should I go for the 500r or 650r? For my size, would these make good beginner bikes? I prefer the sportier styling, but please let me know if there are any alternatives I should consider.

As long as you're not climbing mountains carrying a ton of extra stuff, you'll be fine with a 250r.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

talking_head posted:

I really want to ride a sportbike, but I think I would need to shed some pounds before I can do it. I don't have a HUGE gut, but I don't think a sportbike would be as comfortable.

Which bike would you guys rather ride for 200 miles straight, the Ninja or the Cruiser?

Get the ninja. Granted I'm a year in, but I do 400mile days pretty easily on my 250, though it's the previous generation.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I stand by my assessment that no honest man needs more then a ninja 250. Also if you can only do 300 miles in a day on a 250, it's your rear end thats the problem, that or you didn't bring any oil to replace what got burned off cruising at 9k rpm ;)

That said, I'm saving for a bigger bike, and you should really ride what you're comfortable with, and aren't going to ball of flame into a ditch.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

:byodood:

All in one day? I can't even imagine the soreness.

The fun starts at the 500th mile.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

What was the longest day for you during that recent adventure?

I don't have exact mileage per day, most days were right around 500, but the max was just shy of 800.

Trintintin posted:

That it does, because at that point you start to go insane with being stuck in a helmet on a motorcycle on the super slab.

I'm not sure which is worse, the 'oh god my entire body aches', or the mental wall of 'what the gently caress am I doing, oh god my rear end'. Either way I'm a glutton for punishment and can't stop.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 23, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I like the look of the old councours, and the factory luggage is a big plus. Good to hear they're bulletproof.

If you like the councours, which despite being what I really want I'll admit is ugly, you might also like the Honda Pacific Coast. Even uglier, but tons of storage space.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Anyone own a Sprint ST? I saw one out and around today and it sounded and looked amazing. I noticed that it has an 'eccentric chain adjuster' What does this even mean?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

SV650 Outlaw

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

ya but look at that kickass paint job, they just don't paint'em like that anymore

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

sigtrap posted:

I can't fault the thing in any way, it's just too boring. It has plenty of power and all, it's just too... German. Too precise. It's kinda odd looking and it sounds, as I'm fond of pointing out, like a cross between a sewing machine and some elcetric hedge clippers. I have a hard time living with something that doesn't have some attitude about it.

sigtrap posted:

Eh, these are all good bikes which i've considered in the past, but they just don't appeal to my ten year old brain. Hence a full-on middleweight sport bike, or an attitudinal S/T.

Aprilia, you need a hot Italian lover ;-*

EDIT: Babe

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Looks awesome dude, I love UJM maroon.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Found this on craigslist. drat, Saving my pennies for a proper sport touring bike is hard sometimes guys :(
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/1228675871.html

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

frozenphil posted:

:colbert:

The shiver is so much cooler though.

edit: :colbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Isn't the Shiver just a Mana without the automatic transmission?

Not really, the mana has an 850 rather then a 750, though I think it's got 20~ less hp, and weighs more. I can't remember but I think the mana has the gas tank mounted below the passenger seat too.

edit: and is 50% less awesome ;)

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 25, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

hah, that's great

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

i'm no harley fan, but that is pretty cool looking. that tank must have a range measured in feet, though.

I heard it's measured in Bars per Mile.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I test rode as shiver a few months ago, compared to the Ninja250 it was huge and stupid fast. I loved it and you should too.

edit: I got an Aprilia keychain from the dealer. Anyone want it?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Dear CA,
My ninja 250 is just too big and powerful and scary.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/1278714275.html
As cool at that bike is, the look of that chain scares me about the condition of the rest of that bike which would probably be a PITA to get parts for.

edit: I've got half a mind to lowball the gently caress out of this guy as this bike has been on craigslist for about a year now.

edit2: Forgive my selfindulgent craigslist links but OH GOD http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/1251968755.html

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 20, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Deadpan Science posted:

The bike wiki is down, could somebody give me a list of maybe 5 decent first bikes that would be good for a new rider.

When I was a teenager I rode my grandfather's incredibly old honda around the small town of 200 people where his cabin was, but driving in a city like San Diego is going to be quite a bit different, so I imagine I'm starting off from scratch as far as experience goes.

I would essentially be using this bike as daily transport to work (10-20 miles) in La Jolla.

What kinds of safety courses should I take?

Ninja250, MSF. That's all you need.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

frozenphil posted:

If you can deal with the old bike's looks, go for the used one as they are basically the same other than looks.

On dark lonely nights in the country you can channel the spirit of the 80s on the old ones.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Re:1988 Ninja250, is that gas tank dented in on the top or am I seeing things?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I think I really want a TransAlp as my second motorcycle

Click here for the full 1024x685 image.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Hut sold separately. Congrats man, can't wait to see it!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

TransAlp :colbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Tall Midget posted:

from what i've read all the 250cc bikes are ... not that highway worthy.

3PM. Flagpole. Don't be late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

dw06WU posted:

I had a 2005 EX500D and I am looking to upgrade because it was such a small bike. I'm about 6'3 and 250lb. I wouldn't want to ride on anything smaller than what I had.

You wanna go punk? YOU WANNA GO???