Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

dw06WU posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa whoa. Whoa. No disrespect meant here, I love the ninjas. I just want something taller. I feel weird riding it sometimes. I figured another person the same height as me may share the same opinion. Just a matter of preference really.

And no, I haven't ridden many other bikes. I've ridden my friend's Honda cruiser but that's about it.

Apology accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Bucephalus posted:

I like Kawasaki just fine. Except for those slow-rear end 250 Ninjas.

Gonna cut this dude

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Kallikrates posted:

I'm looking to buy a bike for some commuting maybe some fun weekends. However, the small town I'm in has jack for decent used bikes for novices. I have had very basic experience riding two up with a 75cc enduro, and I commuted back and forth to school on a road bike for 5 years or so. (I still have the whole everyone else is trying to kill me attitude especially after two car vs me on a bicycle accidents). I refuse to buy a bike new, especially my first real motorcycle. What is your advice to me? Make a list of people to visit the next town over and spend a weekend driving all over the place with a bike trailer? Buy used over ebay and have it shipped? What are the disadvantages to salvage titles? I would probably insure it through USAA(progressive) Nearest big city is Dallas about 3 hours away.

Used Ninja 250 from dallas craigslist, and I've got five bucks on Wichita Falls.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Kallikrates posted:

I don't really feel comfortable my first ride ever being a 3 hour highway stretch on a bike I haven't ever seen except when meeting someone to look at it. Unless you mean I get a trailer for it.

jdonz posted:

There are quite a few Texas riders, I bet one would be willing to ride it for you.

Trailer works, or ya find someone to ride it out to you. There's a few folks in the Dallas area and one of us might be able to ride it out if you got us a ride back ;)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Personally I got into motorcycles because it's the first socially acceptable reason I found to wear leather pants in public all the time.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

soy posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/1387786663.html

also this cruddy looking ninja 250, I bet I could talk them down on the price.

drat that ninja has more miles then mine. I need to fix that.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

I'm helping my girlfriend pick out a new bike. I came upon this and would be checking it out tomorrow. Is this a fair price?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/1380072810.html

I'm gonna see if I can negotiate down the price... if a valve clearance check hasn't been done at 12,000 mi, can I count that off the price?

I plan on helping her sell it this spring. Do bikes tend to have inflated values during the spring/beginning of the riding season?

Already down.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

shaitan posted:

This what? I don't get it, is that a complete sentence?

That.

EDIT: The other.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Oh god drat it, if I haddn't just bought the TransAlp. Not sure, is this a decent price?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1359549425.html

quote:

1980 Honda CBX - $3600
Beautiful 6 cylinder collectors item. Has only 20,000 miles great shape, runs and drives great, everything excellent-paint, seat, tires, brakes,-just everything..clean and clear title-has extras-fork brace, koni shocks, header, K&N air filter and more..

guys, I think I might have a thing for old Hondas. Hold Me.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 2, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

That is not a really crappy road :colbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Cruising at 75-80 is buzzy but very doable on a Ninja 250.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Lately, she's been talking about a 125cc Aprilia which has caught her eye. Aprilia and 125cc triggers something in the back of my mind, it's not a scooter, so it's definitely an RS125, which is a pretty cool bike.

But correct me if I'm wrong, a 33hp 125cc 2-stroke doesn't really sound like a good bike for a beginner, being so highly strung it's gotta be peaky as hell. I'm guessing maintenance will be a bitch, too? The fairings are probably stupidly expensive as well.

That and it's technically not street legal, though some states will plate them (I know texas will)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

talking_head posted:

Thanks for the advice. Couple of things.

1.) Shaft fluid? What is this?
2.) DMV fees? I will check with the VIN #
3.) Slipping Clutch? I believe this bike is drive-shaft driven.
4.) Waterpump issues? gently caress. I have no idea man.

Thanks for the headsup, I might pass if I don't get a decent discount.

1.It's the fluid that lubricates your shaft. :rimshot:
2.I think california charges back fees for years in which the vehicle was unregistered. I'm not sure though, as they don't do that in Texas (god bless Texas)
3.You'll still have a clutch.
4.gently caress. I have no idea man.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

The G650GS base msrp is 7900. Thats the older F650GS(tumper), but made in china. The new(twin) F650GS starts at 9200, and they(bmw) only go up from there.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Radbot posted:

So would you say I should skip on the G650GS? Is the F650GS really worth the cash over its competitors?

Well when you can get the Vstrom 650 with abs for 8000, I'm not sure I'd buy the bmw. Really I'd just throw a leg over each and buy what you like.

edit: oh ya, KLR 650s start at 6. Also remember to add in the cost of any add-ons(farkles) you want to do.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 29, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Welcome to the machine

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I've got a friend with one. It's a 6v setup kickstart only. Other the having electrical problems, and flooding the carbs/and having to bump start it every once in a while, it's a pretty cool bike. If it's in good shape I'd do it. Same engine as the FT500 Ascot, and has a 23inch front wheel, which there arn't many choices for (according to him).

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Morphix posted:

Hopefully my e-cred hasn't been to tarnished around here to ask this, buuut

I'm looking for a scooter under $1000 in the Seattle area. I live downtown and I need a better way to get around town, the busses suck and I don't have the capital to grab something bigger, but I miss being on two wheels so I honestly don't care about the displacement or the hp...I just wanna ride again!

I've been looking around Craigslist here in Seattle but I keep coming up with strange named poo poo that has no name beside "50cc scooter works gREAT!"

Any suggestions? I'd prefer something that wasn't covered in plastics, just because I think it looks tacky but I also need something that isn't going to breakdown on me within 6 months requiring major mechanical work, as I won't be able to do the work myself and would hate to dump the price of the scooter back into repairs so quickly down the road.

edit- ideally it would be between 50-150cc, I don't need anything big. This is just for putting around the city and sideroads.

Ninja250 without plastics. (moped?)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Morphix posted:

didn't really think of it, can the cheap 80s plastics be removed easily?

Sure, and if you do you can buy one with broken plastic as save madcash. Buy a new headlight and gauge cluster and bam:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

And from a distance they sound like Hueys.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

I am now $1250 poorer and one 1995 KLR650 richer. The half hour ride home on an unknown possibly volatile motorcycle was nerve-wracking, but the engine was pretty smooth and seemed to idle well fairly soon after starting up.

I'm trying to remember but either you or someone else mentioned being in dallas? If you're in Dallas you should come ride with sklnd ('01 KLR) and I sometime. Is this your first/second/etc bike? We'll go find some dirt roads or a water crossing or something.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Downtown Fort Worth. Sounds good. Maybe I can buy you guys beer or something and get you to help me out with some of the more greasy projects. I had a Ninja 250 and 650 before this.

Sounds good. I'm almost always down for working/riding on bikes. I'm out of town for a while but I should have some time in January.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Also, I've seen a few bikes out of state (I'm in Tampa, FL) that interest me, although I'm not sure if its worth the hassle of riding back. Is it a pretty dumb/bad idea to ride something down this time of year?

This depends 100% on your gear. It's only 57F in atlanta right now, so that shouldn't be too bad. As for MSF, it's a good idea to take it if only to get it drilled in your head how important swerving and emergency stops are. It's saved my bacon more the once, but if you're comfortable on a bike and have more then a little experience on 100-125cc bikes a quick jaunt from the southeast to tampa should be pretty doable if you've got the right gear. Though you might want to stay on back roads if you don't have any freeway experience, it's not the freeways are bad, they can just be overwhelming the first time you ride on one. Is there nothing available locally?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

Goddamn, where in Texas does it get that cold?

The occupied parts up in colorado :colbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

$1800 TransAlps are tops. I'm not only the TransAlp Club president, I'm also a client!

Interesting thing about that TransAlp on ADVrider, the 87 model wasn't imported into the US, only the 89 and 90 model years, mostly superficial changes but still, you'd have a pretty rare TransAlp in the US. All '89s are the Red/White/Blue Colors, and 90's came in Red, Green, and Gray. Green being the most rare, iirc.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 16, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Interesting, I wonder if the owner is mistaken or if it's an actual grey market bike. I was reading up on the 90's Africa Twins, apparently the easiest way to get one is ship it over in pieces and reassemble on a US Transalp frame.

How do they compare to KLR's? I've always liked TA's, don't know a whole lot about them though. Seems like maybe not the bike to buy in my situation (only going to have it 6-8 months), but possibly something to consider in the future.

Its definitely grey import. Gold rims were never offered, and either was shipped in or is the original on that bike. People get Africa Twins in by shipping them in parts reassembling and duping the DMV/DOT into registering them. Or they buy parts from the Africa Twin and put them on their Transalp, commonly done is the Tank, front fairing, and swing arm.

As to how it compares to the KLR? Well it is superior in every dimension and metric known to man and was touched by the hand of god, soichiro honda. It's a V-twin as compared to a thumper, has slightly more power, but is a little thirstier and has a smaller tank. It's also slightly shorter then the KLR, but a lot prettier :colbert:

edit: Here is sklnds '01 KLR and my '89 TransAlp (before I recovered the seat)

edit2: Oh ya, one thing to keep in mind, is the TransAlp would be alot pricier to repair in the case of a bad fall. They weren't on the US market very long and sometimes it's cheaper/easier/the only way to get parts from europe or australia. That upper fairing is pretty pricy. The KLR is basically a two-wheeled tractor that doesn't break, and if it does just march down to the local tractor supply store(kawi dealer) and get parts, or ignore it. Then again, would you rather a finely crafted beautiful Honda or a tractor? If you're only going to keep it 6-8 months it's probably not the right choice, as good as they are, they are twenty years old, and poo poo breaks on twenty year old bikes. TransAlps lose their odo/speedo due to a lovely gear in front wheel, and their CDI ignition module goes bad every once in a while.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 16, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

All that mud makes me think you had a good time. Front drum brakes lets me know it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Um, how does one insure a bike that technically doesn't exist here?

I'd imagine they's insure an 87 as an 89 as it's 99%+ the same.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Naa, That's pretty good advice all around. (But I'm a sucker for bikes and have bought sight unseen)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

redscare posted:

*in before two pages of people suggesting the Ninja 250*

You can buy whatever kind of scooter you want too, but I think Ninja 250s are cheaper.

ninja 250, though when I was in LA on my ninja 250, I could barely keep up with those crazy moped(ers, ists, commaders?) They lane share like madmen.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

What is the power like between the DRZ400 and a KLR650? The HP figures look about the same, I think, but is the gearing terribly different? The KLR isn't slow, but it isn't anything near what I would have guessed a DRZ400 is like from everything I've heard.

Depending on what you want to do the KLR may still be a better bike. Here's the deal, there really isn't much 'Dual Sporting' roads close to DFW. The grasslands has some caliche roads, and there's a few water crossings near Glen Rose, but not much else of much interest anywhere close. That being said you're going to be going for quite a ways on FM roads/superslab if you want to use a dual sport like a dual sport. If you don't mind riding on MX tracks/trails and such there's a few locally, and I'd imagine the DRZ would be quite a bit nicer then the KLR on those. Other then that though you'd better be sure you're really comfortable on a DRZ before buying one.

(I've heard amazing things about http://www.redrivermotorcycletrails.com/ once I get crash bars on the TransAlp and get a few other things sorted, I'll be heading up there)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/1518998180.html

I think I'm in love. I just wish I weren't so fickle about bikes.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

The problem with those VF500s is I think they were subject to the cam issues that some of the earlier V4 engines had and there's certain parts on them that have become unobtanium. Apparently there's a plastic little piece of tubing that goes between the carbs that's prone to snapping and impossible to find/no longer made.

I don't care because look at what they look like. Tell me about GPZ 1000s (zx1000A1?). 600lbs, 125hp. I might have stumbled into one I can pickup for what amounts to $400 (trade), with 'minor' cosmetic damage in 'roadworthy' condition. I put it in quotes as I haven't seen photos yet. I can't keep three bikes around so I'd have to get rid of the ninja 250, but is this even a bike worth having over the ninja? Oh it's an 86, so all is good with my dream of never leaving the 80s.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Gnomad posted:

Actually, I think the 500's were immune from that issue, Honda figured out the problem pretty quickly (but never really did admit to it) and the 2nd generation V4's weren't so afflicted.

For those late to this party-the first generation Honda V4 engines were produced with spongy camshafts that galled, flaked and broke off chunks. Anyone looking at a Honda V4 from 82-84, maybe 85, must inspect the cams before purchase or be ready for a nasty surprise. The cams are upwards of $250 each and the engine has 4 of them.

*obligatory disclaimer-exactly why the cams failed is still debated. I am firmly in the "lovely materials/improper treatment" camp. Others maintain that the problem was inadequate lubrication. Honda blamed the failures on technicians improperly adjusting the valves and grudgingly released fixes that "made it easier to properly maintain" and service the engines, which is what Japanese manufacturers do when they know they dropped a turd and want the end user to find a way to pick it up by the clean end. Obligatory disclaimer ends.*

Double post!

From what I've read (read this as hearsay) they added or modified the cam oiling passageways in the VF500, and released a kit to modify the magna version to do the same.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I can't imagine offroading a magna would end up much better then offroading your yamaha.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

CB750, one of the newer ones from the 90s.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

Talk me out of it. For the love of god, please talk me out of it. I shouldn't be spending money, I don't have a job!

Shutup and buy it.

(it looks nice, and the chain is nice and clean so hopefully he took care of it)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

They're awesome bikes, and can handle being wound out for days on end if you like touring, though those 6k mile service intervals come pretty quickly.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

considering there may be back taxes on when it was registered, depending on your state.

Not a problem in Texas far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

moped