Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Close to zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Larrymer posted:

I remember when I had problems with an old beater honda seat belt not retracting, and the consensus was to take it to the dealer for a free fix. The dealer worked on it and told me to bring it back if it wasn't working after the fix and they'd replace for free. If it isn't working due to the pretensioners firing/accident damage then they aren't going to do anything though. I'm pretty sure the airbags and belts are covered for a longer warranty period than most other things but it's hard to find concrete info in my short googling.

Give them a call and talk to the service guy and see what they say. Worst they can say is that you're crazy. :v:

I know toyota has (had?) a lifetime belt warranty. This very explictly did not cover airbags though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I would be careful of temps under 32 and wouldn't drive in any ice or snow, even a little.
Even low temps with dry pavement can gently caress with summer tires. I accidently drifted a dry insection on aummer tires in Minneapolis in a cold snap before snow threatened.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

Not that they're not perfectly lovely automobiles. :sweatdrop: I've gotten by the last two years with a Miata so all that space just seems like overkill.

That sounds like an excuse. A bad one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Wrar posted:

The oil light on my 13 outback 3.6r is on but it had plenty of oil. Wtf?

Pressure or level light?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

Well okay after waiting almost three months for the Subaru mothership to ship a backordered part I should have my car back tomorrow.

Just kidding! I got the secondary air pump relay recall letter last week and that repair part is backordered too!

gently caress Subaru.

You might be nearing lemon law territory.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Re: chains and awd. 99.99% of the time they go from chain required on fwd cars to road closed skipping the awd chain stage.
Legally, you are supposed to carry them though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

So I got my airbag done.
A lot of people seem to e worried about creaks appearing. I was not because I have 150k on a subaru with a stiff suspension and bushing. So everything that could rattle did.
I actually have way fewer rattles. Like almost quiet. Good job dealer service guy!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BloodBag posted:

Subaru sent me a big card bitching that I haven't had mine done yet. I guess I need to do that, do they give out loaners? I kinda need this scrapheap to get around, Houston's a car city.
I dropped mine off when I was out of town (also, I had a second car). They called me 2 hours later and said it was done already. They humored me by keeping it around another week.

I don't think it takes that long -- the techs at this point have probably done it a million times. Maybe call the dealer and schedule a saturday or something when you just hang our. or you culd ask for a loaner, you might get lucky?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BloodBag posted:

Add me to the roster of users with headgaskets getting done. Man, dealers cost a lot, but the last time I tried to go to a cheaper place I ended up spending more in the end and the car still wound up at the dealer. My butt-pain level is at about $4200 with the LCA bushings being done too. :negative: I know I could practically buy another one for this price, but then I'd probably get a knocker. Also I love this stupid car and not having car payments. Engine out, MLS gaskets, timing belt, etc etc.

$4200 seems like a lot, even for a dealer. I think jamal rebuilt my engine for less than that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I don't know why the BRZ's method of port and direct injection isn't used more often.

I want to say toyota owns the patent.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I get notes left on the LGT wagon all the time. I'm sure they want to low ball the poo poo out of me (not thank a 150k mi subaru is worth much no matter how unicorn it is).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

6600mi sounds like either a defective driver or a defective part. If it was way less, I'[d say part for sure, but this is in this weird point.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SimonCat posted:

My 07 LGT just grenaded its engine. Tried passing a semi, it stuttered, threw a CEL, then started rattling like a bunch of bolts in a coffee can and spitting smoke out the tail pipe.

Going to see what the damage is on Monday.

Turbo maybe?
I've broken 2 engines and none like that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

If the turbo did fail, make sure it didn't conaminate the engine oil. Apparrntly, it can send a bunch of bearing material into the oil.
The good news is that generally, when the turbo fails, it doesn't seem to shoot metal down the intake. Most engien failures result from driving after failure with contaminated oil.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

blk posted:

Shower thought: Is the BRZ the most rapidly depreciating Subaru of modern times?

Non-turbo bajas for the first few years?

Has anyone ever bought a used b9 tribeca of the era where the grill is all hosed up?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

stevobob posted:

Baja WRX (with royalties to Bajaha)

They made an ej255 baja.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Larrymer posted:

I came here to shame you for not looking at tire rack like I suggested. Not sure where you're located but for me they're $613 shipped that doesn't include a $70 prepaid Visa rebate that they're throwing in right now. You can get them shipped to whatever tire shop that's affiliated with tire rack nearby. I got this at a local pep boys and it cost about $60 to mount and balance them. Not a huge difference but it could save you some monies.

FWIW, discount and americas tires (same company) will price match tirerack (they even will match the rebate, often in cash upfront), so you can get your tires ASAP. Make sure to print out the final price (with shipping) because they will match with shipping only. Print out any rebate info. They also use torque wrenches on your lugs so you can actually get them off later.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

casque posted:

Hello Subaru Thread! I'm looking to upgrade from a 2.2L 1998 Legacy to a 2005-2009 outback. Can anyone speak to the reliability of the turbo 2.5 of that era?

Hahaha.
poor

nm
Jan 28, 2008

casque posted:

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm looking for a manual if I get another Subaru. The NA 2.5's got to be a little more powerful than the 2.2 I'm used to. I'm cross shopping the Lexus GX470, fwiw.

That is quite the apples and oranges comparison.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Subarus should come with removable quarter panels like VW's service position with the bumper. Yeah, it is a PTA, but less so than jacking your loving engine up to do spark plugs.
I'm sure tgis would be cake to engineer and preserve safety standards.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Please do not buy any used EJ255/257 without doing a leakdown (not compression test).

When I cracked my block at like 130k mi, when shawn church was retuning it, he said he'd been seeing a number of cars wear out blocks around 125-150k mi, so that would lower what I paid for a 100k mi EJ25 turbo.

net work error posted:

Recently on my 17 WRX when I'm idling at a stoplight sometimes when it rocks back and forth doing its boxer thing the engine kind of skips a bit and chokes. It never actually turns off. Is that a normal boxer thing or something I should get checked out? No warning lights or anything and it's only for a moment and not constant.
No mods other than an air/oil separator.

My car did this when it had a crack in the block that mimicked a headgasket failure.
Could also just be a vacuum leak.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 19, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Man, so I had a coolant leak develop near the turbo that also kinda looked like it could also be could have been HGs. Never been so happy to have a leaky turbo coolant line.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Wonderllama posted:

So what is the preferred route to take to upgrade my under warranty 2016 sti without grenading my 1990s engine made of glass? Also, I'm in my 30s, so I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud.

Don't touch the engine, problem solved. The warranty part, not the glass part.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Recalls incoming:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/business/kobe-steel-japan.html
Kobe is a major supplier to FHI.

edit: Wonder if they make pistons. . . .

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

You can see if the fork broke by looking through the fork hole usually.

Hydraulics are working?

I thought I was in the bike thread for a moment and was very confused.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

i own every Bionicle posted:

I wouldn't worry about mileage as much with the 6. It's a pretty reliable motor. Drawbacks to it are gas mileage and you couldn't get it with a stick in the US. Other than that it's probably the most bulletproof motor that year.

Things like wheel bearings, CV joints, shocks, brakes, swaybar end links, and suspension bushings start to become suspect around that time but most of that is cheap to replace. Have that checked out.

It's an older high mileage Subaru but it's far less inadvisable than a GT.

How are the ATs on those for longevity? That's all I'd worry about.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

I think I actually solved a rattle by taking it in for the airbag. :tinfoil:

Me too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Edward IV posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to replace a fuel tank in an '05 Legacy Wagon? Must be if a decent condition, seemingly well maintained and modded Legacy GT wagon is only going for $3300. That said price and close location does make it tempting.
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-legacy-gt-wagon-manual/6364938412.html

Wouldn't that just lead the tank to read empty rather than just cause the car not to run?
In any event, but understanding is it is annoying, but not that bad (you have to drop the tank to change the fuel filter -- which shouldn't need to be changed often, but sometimes does -- and people only complain a bit). Dunno what a tank itself costs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Any strong opinions on a rear diff bushing for my 05 LGT?
One of mine is cracked, soooo.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 20, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Larrymer posted:

Jesus, what engine(s) is this relevant for?

Subaru (all)
Maybe not the 6?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bajaha posted:

What's the dyno plot look like if you don't mind posting it? At that power it's got to be a hoot to drive.

How are the new WRX 6spds for reliability? My Baja's got about the same whp and it munched the 5spd pretty well at that level.
I've heard they're just the 5 with a gear shoved in there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SimonCat posted:

Is there anything particularly wrong with repo-d cars? This one has a suspiciously low price for a LGT.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...delCode1=LEGACY
150k is a lot on an lgt. Speaking as someone with 144k on his.
Leak it down, know what weird transmission noises are normal and which are not.
I bet a lot of the suspension is dead. Also, that hitch scares me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DevCore posted:

So I know I've asked about it in the past and everyone suggested I just go with a new WRX, but they're just a little out of my budget scope.

That being said, I recently found a fairly clean '06 Hawkeye WRX wagon with pretty low miles:
(And the CARFAX if anyone's interested.)

I'm seriously digging this car and I'm actually considering doing an out of state purchase to get it.

Am I walking into a disaster?

Price is a bit high.
The clutch is suspicious.
Get a leak down before any purchase.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

So I've been trying to track down a minor coolant leak on my LGT. I popped my hood and saw some coolant weeping out of the turbo overflow tank and I think the radiator -- the big one coming off the top, but not off the turbo rad cap.
It looks like it has been wearing against the hood sound deadening/blanket. It is resting exactly on the OEM routing points. Has anyone seen this? I dunno if it is drooping or what. I'm torn between just removing the blanket, which I'd prefer to to do (car's loving loud enough already), or just cutting a hole where it rubs (looks dumb).
I'm just glad I caught it before it burst, it is really soft.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

If i was a shop, I wouldn't like that kit because the deposition on why I installed Cadillac brakes on a subaru with some kit off the internet after the moron driving it ran into a bus of kids and claimed his "brakes failed" would go loving poorly.
It doesn't matter if it works perfect, a jury isn't buying that poo poo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bogatyr posted:

Spotted at a local shop, rolled 3 times driver walked away with a broken arm.

Where'd this go off (I'm assuming some cliff)? I used to live in redlands.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Eyesight, I think. Probably costs a mint to rework it enough for a manual transmission.

I don't think any automaker offers the collision avoidance stuff with a manual other than Honda.

I'm just going to guess every european automaker but maybe mbz in europe that offers such a system.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

TODAY'S THEME INGREDIENT: CARMAX!

The idiot hellcar was repaired the day I drove back from Maryland with its replacement, so I picked it up that night. A guy at the shop who's been doing much of the work on it for the last year or so was interested, but couldn't come up with the money (and I wouldn't blame him for not buying this thing anyway; I would feel bad selling it to someone I knew but he at least would know what he was getting into). Carmax gave me about 50% more than I was expecting for it; they noted on the appraisal that it was a "well-maintained 2012 STI Limited" which is true given the weeks this thing has spent at various repair shops.

So that's it for me and the idiot hellcar. If you see a black 2012 STi with about 113,000 on the odometer on the Carmax website, do yourself a favor and give it a pass.

EDIT: I'll probably have some reflections over the last six years of Subaru ownership once the check clears.

>100,000mi means it is likely going to the auto auction circuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Isn't one of subaru's problems that they basically build all the cars they can physically build? It then makes sense to see the cars that move the fastest and simplify the lane by only having one drive train option.