Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

jamal posted:

The best bridgestone right now is the re71r. 050 and 003 are old.

Isn't the 71r a really aggressive R compound thing, it's not really a longish term street tyre like the 003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Chiwie posted:

Is there RE003 better than the -050? I've heard conflicting stuff.

050's were OEM for the 2006. Okay I guess, wear wasnt great.

Just checking, the cool kids seem to either use a Bridgestone or the aforementioned Khumos. Usually Khumos due to the signifigant price difference.

Edit - ah yeah it was the RE71 predessors I had on last. That's more of a track tyre than a road one, the only reason why I got three years out of them is the 07 WRX is a station and back car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 14, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Are these daily driver tires?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

050's were OEM for the 2006.
e- nm, they didn't put that on cars here.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 14, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Jamal he wasnt trying to start poo poo saying that :shrug:

Ill look into those options when these tyres die. I need wet performance and life more than other people too cause tracks and mountain roads are all an hour away + brisbane is known for its tropical summer storms + daily driver. Ive heard that the kuhmos are good for all that while still retaining good grip? Obviously tread life and grip are opposites but you get what I mean?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

underage at the vape shop posted:

Ill look into those options when these tyres die. I need wet performance and life more than other people too cause tracks and mountain roads are all an hour away + brisbane is known for its tropical summer storms + daily driver. Ive heard that the kuhmos are good for all that while still retaining good grip? Obviously tread life and grip are opposites but you get what I mean?

Khumos are used by the quick drivers for wet skidpans so yes, they work well in wet conditions. I found the tread life to be pretty good and grip more than acceptible in the dry. As a simple road tyre, would buy again.

The semi slicks stay on the spare rims anyway

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Good. I aint got time to sit and wait for torrential downpour to stop.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

They do on the wagon but he knew what I meant I think.

I did, yes.

If I ever do need to move anything big though, I can rent one of these bad boys:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Trust me it gets olds quick.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
I've got a set of re71r for the summer. They're incredible, best "street" tire I've driven. They chew through tread like crazy though. And don't attempt to drive them if it's even slightly wet out, they are really really bad in wet weather.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Good. I aint got time to sit and wait for torrential downpour to stop.

I live in Brisvegas too so I feel your pain.

I've had a set of 003's on my STi for about 20k km, done a bunch of fun runs in the twisties (I played support car for a Targa tassie car. poo poo ruled.) and they work disturbingly well in the wet. I've also got a set on my AW11 SC with similar millage and they have done a pretty bang up job of not killing me.

A mate had Khumos on a N/A CG impreza, they had a ton of grip but they didn't last long. Also they are cheap.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Do not buy re71r for street. For street I use the pilot super sport. They have a UTQG rating of 300 (re71r is 200) which is a pretty hard tire for summer, but grip just as well as the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT (stock 2015+ tire with a 240 rating). They're quieter, last longer, and have better wet performance too. I'd argue that re71r tires aren't even safe on wet roads. They are extremely sticky tires, however and if grip is your goal to can't really beat them with anything right now.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Larrymer posted:

The cheapest winters are better than the best all seasons by a mile. I love General Altimax Artics.

I love my Altimaxes too, but it's important to note that they're not "the cheapest winters" -- they at least have some more modern compounds and tread/siping patterns. One of Tire Rack's tests compared winter tires **with studs** on an ice rink compared to studless snow/ice tires and the studs weren't enough to make up for the craptastic materials and design. They didn't make note of what actual studded winter they were using, but given how poorly they handled I'm going to guess they were the cheapest of the cheap instead of something like an Altimax (see a comparison of Altimaxes to other studdable winter tires here). There's a good chance that advances in design would make switching a good or great all-season to a low-end winter tire a lot less striking.

I was out again looking at Foresters today, with another test drive in the 2.5i premium (heated seats!) with a manual and in an XT. My pathways at this point are "get an XT and keep the wagon with studded Altimaxes for when I know it's going to be an ice sheet" versus "trade in the wagon for a 2.5i manual," partially based on what they offer for trade-in. If the latter, I'll have Altimaxes on steel wheels plus a chain set at a good price for any Philly-local Impreza goons who, I don't know, want to carve up the Poconos in the worst imaginable weather or something. I literally never have had to use the chains to get somewhere.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The oil light on my 13 outback 3.6r is on but it had plenty of oil. Wtf?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Wrar posted:

Is your outback part of the oil consumption lawsuit?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Wrar posted:

Pressure or level light?

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Wrar posted:

I think the FBengine is the main class action. It lists Outback's below VIN *321435 are eligible. Don't think that covers the 3.6, but am not positive.

Prior to the lawsuit, our oil pressure switch was failing so the light would flicker, but everything else seemed fine. If you truly do have low oil pressure then your courting disaster, but the switch was like 20bux and easy to access ontheforester if you're into a quick experiment.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

um excuse me posted:

Do not buy re71r for street. For street I use the pilot super sport. They have a UTQG rating of 300 (re71r is 200) which is a pretty hard tire for summer, but grip just as well as the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT (stock 2015+ tire with a 240 rating). They're quieter, last longer, and have better wet performance too. I'd argue that re71r tires aren't even safe on wet roads. They are extremely sticky tires, however and if grip is your goal to can't really beat them with anything right now.

Mehhhh, Ive dailied Hankook RS-3s, Kumho V720s, Dunlop ZIIs. I cant say I had complaints about any of them other than the bills related to new tires all the drat time.

Pask
Jun 17, 2013

as Goon as Dead
Just got a 99 Subaru Legacy, and, of course, the head gaskets needed to be be changed/ resealed. I decided to start doing my auto-repair beginning with this car, though i've already paid a mechanic to reseal the thing. I'm wondering if anyone itt has recommendations on what to buy for beginners. I was going to start with this list:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/g2657/tools-to-get-you-started-working-on-your-own-car/

am also curious if I should buy the service repair manual:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/282212781811?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Socket set, trolley jack, jack stands. Anything else is strictly buy as you need.

E: skimming the list, the zipties/cleaners and stuff like that are handy. Im assuming you have hammers and screwdrivers already. Dont buy tools unless you need them for a particular task.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 15, 2017

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
And I think harbor freight has $10 torque wrenches on sale today. They are sometimes besmirched for their precision, but any torque wrench is better than none for a starter set. And you can't beat 10bux.

Pask
Jun 17, 2013

as Goon as Dead

PabloBOOM posted:

And I think harbor freight has $10 torque wrenches on sale today. They are sometimes besmirched for their precision, but any torque wrench is better than none for a starter set. And you can't beat 10bux.

I'll look into them, thanks.

Socket set, trolley jack, jack stands. Anything else is strictly buy as you need.

E: skimming the list, the zipties/cleaners and stuff like that are handy. Im assuming you have hammers and screwdrivers already. Dont buy tools unless you need them for a particular task.

huh, seems strange that the trolly jack and jack stands weren't included in that list, i'll steer clear from becoming gear obsessed.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If you have no tools (sockets, etc) you're actually at a good spot to get a huge combo kit for a decent price vs. buying stuff piecemeal once you have a decent collection. I'd look into that, spending a bit more up front and getting more for your money. Focus on getting 6 point sockets vs. 12 point, in both 3/8" and 1/2" drive, in deep well and (normal) shallow versions of sockets. Ratcheting wrenches are amazing but not essential if you're just getting started. You can buy them later down the line.

Costco has a good jack for cheap and probably a decent starter toolkit (personally I'd go with a little bit better brand but it's an option).

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Find / acquire a cheater pipe. Stock up on PB Blaster.

It's not strictly necessary to have a breaker bar, but when combined with a cheater pipe and a liberal application of PB Blaster, it will loosen pretty much any stuck bolt in the universe. Well, that or you'll just shear the bolt off, but that's part of the fun!

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 15, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

One of those big giant socket/wrench combo sets is going to come with a lot of stuff you won't need unless you can find one that is only metric. Also make sure anything you get comes with 10,12,14,17,19. There are like the only wrench/socket sizes you'll need and some kits/wrench sets I've seen are missing one or more of those (but thanks for including 15,16, and 18!).

A good 1/2 breaker bar is a must have.

Ratcheting box end wrenches are pretty great.

You'll want a 19mm 6-pt 1/2 drive deep socket.

A flexible spark plug socket really helps.

And yeah without a jack and stands it's pretty hard to do anything. Various small blocks of wood, ramps, and wheel chocks are also useful.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah a real jack and stands are the most important tools for working on your car. Stands make even simple tasks like wheel rotations easier and they are the most important safety measure when you get under it. Dont ever get under a car supported by just a jack. Very weird that they dont mention jacks and stands on that list.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 15, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A friend of mine died a few years ago when his car fell off the jack stands. He only had the rear of the car up and I guess was on a slight slope and it tipped them over.

So make sure you are on a flat, level surface and the car is on there securely as well.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
:( Sorry to hear that jamal.

I should add that you dont need to go silly with buying a jack either. If your car weighs 1400kg, even a jack rated to 1300 like my small one is overkill because you are never going to have the full weight of the car on it. At most, a bit over half. In Australia atleast you dont need to spend more than 90 bucks ish for a usable jack

Pask
Jun 17, 2013

as Goon as Dead
I'll definitely invest in both stands and a trolley jack and considering what Jamal said, I'll probably invest in some wheel chocks as well. Thanks for the good recs, ya'll, i'm making a list and looking through Amazon rn.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

jamal posted:

A friend of mine died a few years ago when his car fell off the jack stands. He only had the rear of the car up and I guess was on a slight slope and it tipped them over.

So make sure you are on a flat, level surface and the car is on there securely as well.

I had a cousin almost have the same thing happen - fortunately he was doing it at his work and a coworker used a bobcat to get the truck off him, but there was a lot of trauma.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Cars falling off jack stands scare the hell out of me. Where I used to live the stands would tip toe off the ground when jacking up the other side because it wasn't quite level. When I got the other side on the stands I would actually try and bump the car off them before doing anything under the car. It takes a few seconds to do but could save my life one day. I'm sorry to hear that it happened to one of your friends, jamal.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I always keep my phone within reach if I'm alone because if the car falls on me and I survive but am stuck it might save me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Put the tyre you have taken off under the car. I do that even if I have jackstands, the car is level etc etc. Call me paranoid but it's what I got drilled into my head when I first was beginning to mech on vehicles and I've never seen a reason why not to do it today. At the very least you can still get a jack under the car if it falls off the stands.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It is good to put the wheels/tires partway under the car and also leave the jack under the diff or sill or something. Also I will get the car on the stands and then go back around and raise it up again so they are centered where they need to be. And then if two wheel are on the ground they need to be chocked. It's easier to tip over two stands than four.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 16, 2017

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
And for the love of god, do not remove the jack stands until your wheels have their bolts in. Muscling wheels to line up bolt holes tips a jack real easy and now there's pins in two of my fingers. Pay attention to those pesky details.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I normally give my car a few good shoves while its up on stands before I get under it. If I cant trust it to not fall with a hard shove, im sure as hell not getting under it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Tell me about the Justy! The guy I bought my 78 Subaru from wants to give me his parents 89 Justy. Its 4WD, 2 door, manual, and needs a ring job. I already have a 323 GTX and a Daihatsu Rocky for offroad shenanigans on the property, should I take it? I didn't buy the parts from the EFI'd 91 I saw at the Sparks PickNPull, I really should have at least bought the intake manifold.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

Tell me about the Justy! The guy I bought my 78 Subaru from wants to give me his parents 89 Justy. Its 4WD, 2 door, manual, and needs a ring job. I already have a 323 GTX and a Daihatsu Rocky for offroad shenanigans on the property, should I take it? I didn't buy the parts from the EFI'd 91 I saw at the Sparks PickNPull, I really should have at least bought the intake manifold.

Take it, save it.

I'm worried that the 'ring job' might actually be the timing cover/oil pump problem (timing cover bushing wears out, oil pump shaft gets hogged out, loss of all oil pressure) but I am sure you can figure something out.

I noticed that you were already posting on the Justy forums.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Take it, save it.

I'm worried that the 'ring job' might actually be the timing cover/oil pump problem (timing cover bushing wears out, oil pump shaft gets hogged out, loss of all oil pressure) but I am sure you can figure something out.

I noticed that you were already posting on the Justy forums.

Could be, I know the 1.2L is pretty crappy for a Subaru engine. He did mention that particular flaw in the oil system. I think the paint is a bit thin and the seats worn, but he's taken care of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

Could be, I know the 1.2L is pretty crappy for a Subaru engine. He did mention that particular flaw in the oil system. I think the paint is a bit thin and the seats worn, but he's taken care of it.

Worst case you can chuck an Ecoboost 3-cylinder in there and choo choo.

I yanked some back seats and interior trim for Ken at the yard and mailed them to him awhile ago. Haven't seen one in the yard since.