Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Coil packs, split throttle body coupler to the IC, vacuum leaks from other worn out rubber hoses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ball joints can be nasty. Ken had one that was so bad he had to progressively Dremel it out inside the arm.

For me it either pops out instantly with leverage or you’re spending the night.

You might be able to summon a mobile mechanic if you can’t transport the car. I haven’t tried it yet but I always forget they exist.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Hmmm, think it might be time for some new shifter bushings. what do you guys think?

https://i.imgur.com/ARfJPpq.mp4
(yes it is in 1st gear, I promise)

Yeah, that could do with some work.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I don't think reverse is synchronized. It's been funky in every Subaru I've owned.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Bleeders on the bottom mean that somebody installed them upside down, i.e. The left is on the right side and vice versa. You'll need to swap sides and then they'll bleed fine.

Ask me how I know...

Yep, seen this before in a high school auto shop.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Exedy still makes good stuff. I don't know how much a different header will pick up on an FB - on the BRZ FA, some of the fancier headers and an ECU tune are picking up about 6-ish whp in the midrange with a bit more up top.

There are some wilder vendor claims about a tune on the 2012-15 Impreza with the FB20 but they seem to depend on running 93 octane. https://www.delicioustuning.com/node/355

I'm the ultimate NA tuner, I paid like a grand to lose 25 horsepower on my 9-2X :smith:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 29, 2020

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Did you forget to plug the cam sensor back in at the front of the engine?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

i own every Bionicle posted:

A few times after an ECU reset my Legacy would show a really bizarre temp reading then after an hour or so it started working fine :shrug:

I assume it has to calibrate the sensor somehow, though I have no idea how it does that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

Does anyone need this or have a use for it? It's a disc image (iso) file, 301mb, called SUBARU EPC but it installs I think into software called SUBARU EX2. I don't think it's a filez issue because this isn't software for sale anywhere.

Put it on archive.org

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Looks great. Always wanted to play with one of those.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Assuming it's possible to remove top plates from coilovers I feel like the ideal solution for the suspension (albeit expensive) is to fab a top plate that fits the bolt pattern of the SVX, and shove some high-end Impreza coilovers in there with the replacement top plate. Ride height might be an issue, I don't know what the ride heights are like between the SVX and WRX/STi off the top of my head.

I suspect you could cut the original struts open, and do Koni Yellow inserts. Works great on the Impreza, and even if the tube diameter is different between the Impreza and SVX, there's gonna be some Koni application that fits it. Then you can have some decent damping, although with no ride height control, if that's why you're going after coilovers...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

net work error posted:

Might be a dumb question but what do you usually use to remove the two bolts holding the caliper? Last time I tried changing my rotors they were on tough and I didn't want to risk stripping them so I just went to a shop instead.

Unless it's Brembos (which rip out the threads if you sneeze at them wrong), I let them soak in penetrating oil, then put a regular box-end wrench on them and hit the other end with a hammer as a sort of poor man's impact.

If that doesn't work after 2-3 blows, it's torch time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would take the whole driveshaft regardless, in case it was modified to balance it for the little adapter, or just because we know for certain that it was part of this swap when it ran and drove.

Even if you replace it or use what you already have, a couple bucks for an old-rear end, potentially forklift-damaged driveshaft answers a whole lot of questions you might develop a year or two later, when you're hip-deep in the guts of an SVX.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would get a pre-purchase inspection done by someone who really knows the cars – ideally someone who deals in modified Subarus as opposed to the dealer or a random garage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I feel like I'm probably one of the only people aside from CAT INTERCEPTOR to have an old enough Subaru for this to be relevant, but if your engine starts drinking oil check your PCV valve, mine was only a little fouled (still rattling a bit) and replacing it took me from losing about 2 quarts per oil change to no oil loss at 225k miles on an EJ22. I was sure I had problems with my piston rings or something, but nope, 5 minutes and a $5 part.

I replace the PCV on every car I get when I get it. The '95 Odyssey I picked up at auction had the oil inside so caked on that the PCV valve's housing cracked.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Stoop Kid posted:

Bout 4 months at this point. Thank you for the advice!

Four months? I wouldn't worry about the gas. Just fill it up a little early and you'll be fine. Battery is more likely to be dead, but it will probably also come back with a charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What's your weather like? Subaru is putting some poo poo-tier batteries in the cars lately.