Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Iron Lung posted:

Looking for a little advice on a potential used forester purchase. We have an 07 which we adore, but I’m looking for another daily driver for myself. I have a 5 mile round trip commute and would pretty much exclusively be doing city driving. A 99 forester popped up locally in my casual searching, with only about 71k miles on it at a local used dealer. I’m going to see it hopefully this weekend, and I’d definitely have my shop (just a general repair shop that I trust and have used for years) so an inspection, but I guess my question is am I just asking for trouble with a subi that old? I know it’s not even at half it’s life span, but I also don’t have the space or tools to do any personal maintenance, everything would need to be fixed at a shop. I love early model Subarus like I’m sure most of this thread does, but also don’t want to buy something that’s going to be constantly falling apart.

99 Forester stuff to check: Leaking headgaskets, rust on the front wheel-wells and on the strut tower. The rust in those areas is usually fatal and hard to spot so you need someone with a lift to check it out.

The 4eat transmissions are really good in those, and the engines are usually fine outside of the headgaskets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Iron Lung posted:

Cool. Appreciate the advice. Sounds like head gaskets are always an issue, my 07 is at 111k but no signs of leaks yet. I’ll see the car today most likely but will 100% get it inspected by my shop who will put it on the lift. I was more worried about every piece of plastic or rubber in the thing being toasted, which I suppose is always a risk anyway with something used.

Well, it's an old car. Things are going to break and be annoying.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Symetrique posted:

I know savagegeese had a different dealer experience, but the BRZ ordering process (when it opens up again) is 1000x easier than the shitshow people trying to get GRs are going through.

I wouldn't count on them bringing back a low volume rear wheel drive car like the BRZ at all. The chip shortage will probably continue into 2023 and getting out crossovers to Mom is going to take priority.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Majere posted:

Are y'all busy beating on your cars instead of posting?

I am deciding if I want to do an STI RallyX project or buy a BRZ. I'm leaning towards the rear wheel drive, because that looks pretty fun.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

rickiep00h posted:

I feel like a genius when I get 20mpg in the '93. Partner has a hybrid Carolla and it's fun trying to eke out an extra .5 over 50mpg. Thing is bonkers.

My Sierra 1500 gets 19 MPG, 17ish when I'm towing the Subaru. The Subaru gets around 15.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Speaking as a person who also races Subarus, brake fluid is easy and cheap to address, but you shouldn't be seeing any real brake fade unless you are tracking the car for multiple laps.

I'd check the pads for excessive wear and see if one of the calipers is seized up or not working correctly.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

simplefish posted:

Turns out I have uneven sizes front and back lol

I'm not sure I can, really. The rims are very different sizes.

This can be really bad for your car if the tires are not all the same size. Suggest correcting immediately

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Edit: Weird double post.

daslog fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 27, 2022

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
If you can see it moving a bit, then you shouldn't need anything more than some liquid wrench and more hammer blows. However, can you clarify if you are trying to get the ball joint out of the knuckle (I think you are doing this) or trying to remove it from the control arm?

Some of the posts above are talking about removing it from the control arm, but I don't think that's what you are trying to do.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DrChu posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to remove it from the knuckle.

It took a long time of hitting it just to see that slight movement, plus I still have to do the other side as well, so I'm definitely open to things that will make this quicker.

I have always done some variation of this. https://youtu.be/Mm-3m2fY1Tw

Make sure you put the lug nuts on to keep the rotor in place.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Edward IV posted:

Got a bit of a scare when I saw the Oil Pressure Warning light turn on briefly in the Forester XT. Pulled out the dipstick and found it bone dry. Filled it up and it turned out it needed about 2.5 qts of oil out of a manufacturer listed capacity of 4.2 qts.

Is it normal for it to burn that much oil in the 1.5 months since I last topped it off? Does temperature have a factor because it's been gently caress off hot (well gently caress off hot to me is 90+ with high humidity and brutal sunshine in Jersey) here? What about oil age because it is due for a time-based oil change? It's been 6 months since the last change as I don't drive enough to put 5000 miles in that time frame although I could be close since I started doing hybrid work but the trip odometer lost count when I took out the battery to replace the alternator.

In any case, it there anything I need to be alarmed about? It just really caught me off guard as I'm still getting a feel of when I should be checking the oil level so I've been doing it roughly monthly. However, shortly after the last oil change in February, the oil level stayed in the nominal range in the first few months so I got somewhat lax with how frequently I checked the oil. That's why I'm thinking it may be temperature and/or age but I do want to make sure it's not a sign of something more serious.

I'd keep a careful eye on it. You can do your own oil consumption test easily by parking on a level spot, patiently filling, adding oil a little bit at a time until it's exactly on the fill line. The engine should be cold when you do this (i.e. left overnight). Write the exact mileage down.

Check it every day until the oil reaches this fill line on the dipstick and do the math to figure out how many miles it took.

Edit: my son (Subaru master tech) tells me that they measure it over a fixed period of time and then they do the math out by measuring everything. Either way works.

daslog fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 3, 2022

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Yes, but they should be marked.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Sorry guys but the investment money is all going to EVs.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Harbor freight sells the roll punches. The job is a PITA, but it's not too bad.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
2000 Subaru Impreza RS

I'm trying to wire in some driving lights that turn on with the high beams. They came with a wiring harness which has a relay. The Relay needs 12 volts to energize the lights which would normally be connected to the High beams. The problem I'm having is that I don't see to have one of those on my 2000 RS. Instead, the wiring seems to turn off one of the 12 volt leads to turn on the high beams. Any ideas?

Low beams:

High beams

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

daslog posted:

2000 Subaru Impreza RS

I'm trying to wire in some driving lights that turn on with the high beams. They came with a wiring harness which has a relay. The Relay needs 12 volts to energize the lights which would normally be connected to the High beams. The problem I'm having is that I don't see to have one of those on my 2000 RS. Instead, the wiring seems to turn off one of the 12 volt leads to turn on the high beams. Any ideas?

Low beams:

High beams

I figured this out. Thank you ChrisGT

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mutata posted:

Ah, lol. Gotcha. Well, uh, weird thread y'all got here. Thanks anyway!

My son is a Subaru tech. The CVTs have been improving recently, but they are not nearly as reliable as the older 4 speed automatics. If you are going to buy a Subaru with more than 100k, you need to be prepared to replace the CVT.

CVT is the Subaru Achilles heal. (That and problems with Fuji-bond sealing of the motors, but that's another story)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mutata posted:

Opinions on the Outback Wilderness? Worth the price markup or no?

It's a great looking car that almost no one drives in the wilderness.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cactus Ghost posted:

there's a 2003 sti near me for 15k, claims to run fine and have a smog certificate in hand (this is california, so that matters). sun-damaged clear coat appears to be the only downside. it would be a dumb as hell purchase but god drat i want it

e: what are the potential ways this could go badly for me? i know i'd want to thoroughly examine for rust, especially inside wheel wells. what else? feel the synchros? shake the wheel bearings?

Cool car, but it's 20 years old. I wouldn't do a 20 year old anything and count on it to get me to work and it's a Subaru Turbo so lots of things could go wrong. All that said, I'd buy it as a weekend car and be prepared to spend 10k on fixing it myself.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

amenenema posted:

Can I avoid warranty issues via flashing back to stock?

No, but there is a grey area that you can operate in sometimes with a dealer that cooperates.

Edit: They can also tell when you money shift and there are so many people that just can't drive a stick shift lol.

daslog fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 14, 2023

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

carticket posted:

Any suggestions for removing the lateral link bolt on a GD WRX? I'm slowly working my way around it, removing the lateral links from the subframe, but that's not particularly easy either.

I'm getting closer and closer to just buying all new parts rather than trying to use these. I already need a bunch of parts that have rusted out. I still need to strip them off the donor, though.

Do you mean the long Jesus bolt? Just cut it off.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

carticket posted:

I was really hoping there was going to be an easier annoying method.

I got lucky once on my rallycar by soaking it in 50/50 ATF / Acetone for 2 weeks straight and then impacting it off. Even if you have to do it by hand with a hacksaw, you are better off just cutting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea9Z--BUm4c

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

carticket posted:

Ok, so cutting the jesus bolt. I invested in a carbide tipped 8tpi blade for my reciprocating saw and that blade was worth every penny.

Congrats! When you put the new one in, give the entire bolt a bath in anti-seize. You might actually have a chance to get it loose next time.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

They don't work well with skid plates. Ask me how I know!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

What car/skidplate?

The Primitive skid plates I've run on my WRXs and swapped Forester worked fine with the Fumoto valves, I just used one of the Fumoto valves without a nipple for additional clearance (probably could have gotten away with the regular Fumoto; the extended one definitely would have hit though).

Primitive on a 2000 Impreza RS. I hit a rock on course in just the perfect spot and it caused a leak.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Head Bee Guy posted:

I’m thinking of picking up a $5k shitbox to whip around the woods and learn the basics of rally driving. Wyatt from Team O’Neill suggested a 2006 2.5 NA impreza as a good beginner car. Anything else I should consider? Weren’t first gen Forresters essentially on the impreza platform?

Wyatt is a cool dude and knows his stuff. The GC cars are too hard to find or else I would recommend one of those.

On a separate note, Subaru seems to be pulling out of the Rally scene. They are ending their Canadian sponsorship and the new England forest rally is cancelled this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Subaru pulls out from Rally completely in the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

It doesn't help that subaru hasn't made a car you can competetitively run in beginner/non-big-money classes since 2007. Although I guess we could blame the ARA rules committee for this too.

It doesn't that's for sure. They are a relatively small manufacturer stuck in the transition to electric cars. They also feel a bit lost to me about what to do next. All-wheel drive isn't a unique thing just to them anymore.