Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Hey guys been a while. Our 2010 obs got hit a couple weeks and repairs are now complete. We had to get a new tire. The tire is a Conti DWS which has a new tread depth of 10/32". The other tires (which we bought a year and a half ago) are at 6/32". Do I really need to go buy 3 new tires at 150 ea plus install? If I don't buy tires am I retarded? Is it going to do long term damage to the diffs?

Thanks guys.

I'd like to know the answer to this too. We've also got DWS's on our 04 WRX and if we ever have to replace one I'd like to know how much tread depth difference is "too much" - e.g. at what point would you have to have the new tire shaved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I've got a 2004 WRX with 120k miles that is exhibiting what a cursory Google search reveals to be a fairly widespread gas leak issue mostly exhibited during very low temperatures. I'm in Michigan, and we're hitting our coldest weather of the year: Last night while idling at a light I smelled gas in the cabin, and can smell it immediately above the engine with the hood open. I can't find any visible leaks and nothing is pooling under the car.

Am I correct in assuming that this is the hose clamp issue under the intake? I saw that there was a TSB for 02-03's with this problem, does that extend to 04's?

If a dealership won't fix this under the TSB, how tough is repairing it? I have tools and a small garage, but it's like 0 degrees out so if it's a quick fix I might try it, otherwise what would I be looking at for cost to have my local import shop do it?

EDIT: This TSB - http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/gener...tsb-inside.html

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Yakattak posted:

WVK-21 does not cover the 2004 models. It is under the intake manifold and requires that to be removed. Which I've heard is a bitch but not impossible. I have the TSB that describes the repair if you want it just PM me. Also with the intake manifold off you way wanna take the time to install a turbo inlet.

Yeah I talked to Subaru of America today and they said it wasn't covered but that if I take it to the dealer SoA could potentially cover some of the costs. Apparently there is another possible culprit of loose hose clamps on the full lines running up the driver's side of the engine which would be a super quick and easy fix - I'm going to investigate further today.

Looking at some guides online I think I could remove the intake if I had a warm garage, but it's not something I'd want to tackle in this weather. Does $200 in labor and $50 in parts sound about right for the repair at the dealer assuming I don't get any compensation from Subaru? I'm amazed at how widespread this problem is even in 04/05 models from reading online and that Subaru only covers it for the bugeyes.

If you could email me the TSB I'm internethoward at the google mail service. Many thanks.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

amenenema posted:

Apparently there is another possible culprit of loose hose clamps on the full lines running up the driver's side of the engine which would be a super quick and easy fix - I'm going to investigate further today.

I tightened the clamps shown here and the smell seems to have gone away. They weren't super loose, but they certainly weren't tight either. I'll have to watch it on cold starts going forward, but if anyone else with a blobeye/hawkeye runs into this problem maybe this is a realistic fix?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

04 WRX wagon - front brake pads were getting pretty thin and I was noticing an intermittent pulse during braking that I could feel through the pedal and the steering wheel. Confirmed it's from the front with some stops via the handbrake. Put new front pads on and now the pulse is almost undetectable at low speed stops but very noticeable stopping from >40mph (pulse still felt through the pedal and steering wheel but now it's "harsher" for lack of a better term during those higher speed stops).

I noticed that on both sides the lower caliper slides were pretty sticky but they moved enough to get the calipers with new pads back on. I also saw that both backside pads had worn unevenly - thinner on the "bottom" than the "top" (i.e. they were thicker near the tattler).

The rotors seem to have plenty of material left, but they're probably fairly old. Do I need new rotors? Or could the pulse be from something else?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Thanks all - I'll try bedding them in and if it doesn't get better I'll grab new rotors. Since I can feel it through the wheel I'm pretty confident it's just the fronts, but the e-brake note is helpful knowledge.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Brother's new car

Any suggestions for him once the mod bug bites?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Park in a single marked spot?

Apparently that's where it was sitting when he arrived at the dealership. Note the abundance of Subarus behind it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

New Subaru day! 2014 Limited; it's 100% stock and flawless.

Quite an upgrade from our 2004...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I have one of those in black. It's super nice and fun to drive. Enjoy! If you don't mind answering, how much did you pay? If not no big deal, mostly just curious.

Just under $25k. They're really hard to find so I was okay paying the ~$2k over KBB. I guess since the new ones are sedan only no one is selling the last hatches...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

2014 WRX will be ready for rotors/pads w/in the next 10k miles. Suggestions? Dealer wants just under $1k for factory parts/labor, and I'm guessing I could get some better stuff and install myself for less.

Daily driver, no track work. Maybe an autocross one day. Basically just looking for a solid upgrade with minimal noise/dust.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Can ANYONE tell me what bulb is supposed to go in the cargo area light of a 2014 WRX hatch? In the owners manual there's just a "-" where the bulb size should be. No auto parts store has a listing for it (all the books have the same "-" in that space.) I called the dealership parts department and all they could give me was the part number for the whole lamp assembly (84671FG000). Oh and the PO swapped it to an LED that has no markings.

It has a 168 style base, but there's like 20 bulbs that do and I have no clue what the difference is (and which are okay to use in this spot).

WHAT THE gently caress?!? Do I have to call Subaru of NA and ask? Like, why isn't this information known??

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Thanks - that kinda gives me the same problem though: 168 vs 194 vs 2825 vs .... I want a stock bulb dammit!

They all "fit" but I have to assume there's differences in wattage and by extension heat and I don't want to melt the area if the hatch is open for a while. Why can't I find this info?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Picked up a 2020 WRX and I'm shocked at how poor the power delivery is especially in first gear. Seems to be a common complaint and the general answer is "get a tune". Since the car is CPO and I'd love to preserve the factory warranty, is there any other way to smooth out the dip between 2k and 4k ish RPM and the complete and total boost cut about 500 RPM prior to redline?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

large hands posted:

Get an OTS tune from cobb and actually enjoy driving your car. The stock tune is awful garbage. There isn't another way and you will potentially lose the warranty.

e: I made it a year with my 2020 before I gave up and got the tune. Wish I hadn't waited that long

Can I avoid warranty issues via flashing back to stock?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

sw0cb posted:

drat, I guess I'm not the only one who likes Geyser Blue. I've already put 10k miles on my '24 driving to places with waves , seems to be holding up well to my abuse so far. I take it through very deep sand on a regular basis and its been really good, haven't missed having a "real" 4x4 yet.

I would assume that a modern Outback is more of a "real" 4x4 than pretty much anything short of Wranglers/Broncos!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The grime on the inside of the second plug would lead me to believe that has never been plugged in. And the first one doesn't look to fit the second, so I don't think they connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

well i got my first check engine light since buying my 04 sti in september. fluid levels are all fine, it sounds like its running fine, no oil pressure light. i did not know that a CEL disables the cruise control lol

time to buy a code reader

In our 2004 it was a bad ground somewhere (shop diagnosed/fixed it)