Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

jamal posted:

Yeah that stuff works pretty well. You can just use Permatex gray though.

As far as ratios go, everything is pretty much the same. STi is fastest at like 15.2:1 and then most other stuff is more like 16:1. Outbacks are really slow at 19:1 and I wonder how that translates to foresters. Our time attack driver never complained about the steering and actually mentioned he would be okay with less assist. On 295 R-comps with -15 net offset.

I'm thinking the best steering mod might just be to reduce assist. Underdrive p/s pulley?

I don't think effort correlates with pump speed, since they just make whatever pressure and bypass the rest inside the pump. You'd have to adjust the bypass pressure to lower the pump output pressure.

I can't find if I asked, but I'm needing new brake pads on the front of my car (99 obs), what is a good choice? It mostly commutes, and a rare bit of spirited driving, but it is totally stock and probably original suspension, so sporty isn't really in its vocabulary.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

daslog posted:

You engine is most likely toast.

Cold piston slap isn't really an issue or a problem.

edit: I just realized I used my REI membership card to scrape ice off the windshield of my Subaru wagon. :feelsgood:

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 12, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Torsen differentials don't need an anti-slip LSD additive.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

c355n4 posted:

Nah, nah. Don't rebuild a '99 transitional N/A 2.5

This is why I got a brand new shortblock :v

Isn't a 2L WRX swap probably cheaper anyway?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If your wiring time is worthless, sure!

Well, it is!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

daslog posted:

ChisGT and I are wondering of the torque settings for the Water Pump in my 99 RS manual are wrong.

You're only seating the gasket and keeping the pump from being moved by the timing belt, those look okay and not much different from what I did my SOHC 2.2 with.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Meta Ridley posted:

Think you are right, just in denial or trying to be optimistic :(

One other option I have is using the heads & I/M from a broken-down 97 2.2L Impreza (EJ22E, bad block but rest is good). From what I've read, the two should be compatible with the ECU and this combo is actually more powerful? I'd still be risking my 2.5 block being bad or damaged/weakened.. but I would be saving on parts tknow a mechanic with a shop who can do the work for cheap.

It would suck to do this, then realize the pistons or block is cracked too. Examining all that is pretty much the same labor as a full rebuild too. I'll probably play it safe and buy a full reman'd engine from ebay or something.

Only reason I am not cutting my losses and scrapping it is because I literally paid $2900 and got 0 use out of it

How many days did you have it? 4 days and a completely destroyed engine? Call a lawyer, or at least call the seller and threaten legal action.

Roman Rambo posted:

I had been told the gain would be pretty minimal, and was a little concerned that I was going to be wasting $1000 to make my car sound like a bunch of bees, but in reality it was a significant gain across the entire powerband. The sound may also be cooler than before. The exhaust header was definitely a limiting factor in my setup.

That is how working with stock engines is, you reach different bottlenecks as you progress. Every part becomes a limiting factor at some point.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

sofullofhate posted:

Power-adder stuff (from memory):

* Stock bottom end
* Port / polish / 5-angle valves, stock cams
* Turbonetics hybrid magicked turbocharger (upsized compressor & ??? can't remember)
* Custom intake w/ 2 extra injectors / emissions delete
* GReddy blow-off (I know, I know, but I loved the sound, sue me)
* GReddy manual boost controller (this is a bad idea never do this)
* Custom exhaust
* Walbro 255lph pump
* GReddy additional injector controller
* ??? clutch

I did a lot of work on the suspension and brakes, and had STi V4 seats / wheel / shift knob in it. For fear of breaking driveshafts / transmission I never launched it hard from a stop, but it would break all four tires loose on dry pavement if I rolled on hard in first or second. And of course it would drift luridly through corners if I was heavy on the throttle. It idled like poo poo because stock ECU but the GReddy additional injector controller was brilliant so as long as the car was rolling it ran really well.

Related note: bet you guessed how I learned about throttle-lift oversteer...

I also built a really fun NA '98 LGT that screamed, but never made me grin as hard / act as stupid as the '91 did.

I was going to say that had to be pre-WRX because that is an ancient mod list if there ever was one, just like my old 323 GTX had basically every HKS piece made for it, where now you just put in Megasquirt and some modifications (or a tune for Subarus) and you're on your way.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I am scrapping my 99 2.2L SOHC (California so MAP) engine and wondered if people need anything. I have most of it, 7 good injectors, and the engine is good and the cylinders look great except for cyl #3 has a nasty burned exahust valve. The valve seat looks okay and could probably just have a valve lapped in for cheap. I have two engines worth of bolts, and tons of random fitting/clips/wiring/etc if anyone needs anything. Just pay some small amount of money and shipping, its all in great shape!

I also have a black and a green power LH side mirror, front and right side front power window motors and rails, and some interior parts.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Large oil capacity and cooling with thermostatic control raises the life of oil dramatically, in addition to advances in modern oils in the past decade. Subarus seem to burn a lot, nothing I've ever owned (19 cars) has burned as much as my 99 OBS with 100K or so on it. I imagine that is more of an issue than oil actually wearing out.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Having downpipes and catbacks that use the factory cat.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

That towing harness work on an old Outback Sport? If so, I'll take it!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Mine was so bad, the filter had been eaten through and there was mouse poop in the evaporator core :(

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Totally TWISTED posted:

You're talking about the air intake for the engine right not the cabin air filter? (this is probably a dumb question)

Nope, HVAC. I have a 2.2L SOHC California OBS with the stock intake, it'd be admirable for a mouse to make it to the air filter through that intake.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

No accidents. Clear coat is pretty bad in a few spots and a CEL for misfire on cyl #2.

Get a new coilpack, new plug wires, and new plugs and you'll be misfire free for a while (50K miles). My 99 OBS looks just like that, green/tan with WRX 5 spoke wheels. I did get the sweet rare Forester center altimeter/compass thing for it a few days ago, for the times I need to check my altitude (never), or need to know which way is "north" (never).

edit: my interior fabric is a slightly different awesome pattern, though.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Does nobody make alternate firmwares for the GC ECU? Cobb AP, Open Source, etc? They're all far far better than a handheld programmer.

Today I changed the clutch cable on my 99 OBS. What a shitfest. Its a really nice clutch pedal design, tuned mass damper and all. I'm sure it looked great in the technical drawings and on the bench, but it was an absolute bear to get the cable in, and I've done plenty of clutch cables on tiny Japanese cars without any trouble like this before.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I have a 99 OBS (2.2 SOHC w/cable clutch) and am looking to do the throwout bearing, which I failed to do when I swapped the engine 20K miles ago. Is it easier to pull the engine or the transmission? Clutch was pretty new, but my g/f is a bit hard on it so it might be smart to change it...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

So I was under the impression my VF24 turbo wasn't water cooled, now I'm seeing that it is? I can't see the lines going to it but it does have a stock heat shield on. Anyone know for sure? I've been wasting a lot of gas with the turbo timer if it's been water cooled this whole time.

You're wasting time with a turbo timer anyway, and makes the car unbelievably easy to steal.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I know the guys who install adjustable control arms in the back of their GR STIs have remarkable amounts of camber wear in the back even compared to GDs with the same exact camber angle, so maybe something is dancing around there on those cars too.

Different camber curve?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I have to do the cam seals on my 2.2L SOHC this weekend, which means I have to re-arm the tensioner. I really don't want to take it off the front cover (its helicoiled in), so if I use a C-clamp, how slowly should I compress it? I've read somewhere that 30-minutes or more is the best way. Its a 15K mile old Gates tensioner.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Through 2013.

Subarus are supposed to be sturdy first and fast second.

So its really like that power bump they did didn't turn out all that great?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

daslog posted:

Anyone have any experience with converting fuel rails from top Mount to side Mount? I'm going to need bigger injectors for the wrx hybrid engine.

You're going to want/keep top mount style, side mount injectors aren't as common and offer far fewer choice in sizing.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

My 99 outback sport was rolled and before I scrap it, does anyone wan anything?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

brosef deluxe posted:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're ok.

If your dash is black, the ashtray and the passenger side dash air vent.

Yes, black dash. I'll grab both, pm or email my djcommie at gmale.

Terrible Robot posted:

That sucks man, hope everyone is ok. Does the top-of-the-dash pocket lid swap between a '99 Outback and a '99 Forester? Mine's broken.

I put have that rare Forester compass/altimeter unit in there right now, but I have the lid still I think. I even have working springs/hinges on it! contact into above.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

brosef deluxe posted:

DJCommie: Sent you an email, hope you got it!

Replying!

hedgegnome posted:

So, i just bought a 99 outback sport wagon last week. Its AMAZING. Or at least, Im pretty happy with it, its super nice and the guy was almost giving it away. I got lucky getting to it first, he had 10 more emails before me, but I lived just down the street :D
The guy diddnt know any history. It was given to his wife last summer, and they decided they diddnt need it after all. But its really clean, with lots of new looking parts under the hood. No oil leaks, either. And new tires! 5 speed! 175k miles, but it runs and drives -great-. California car, too, not a speck of rust anywhere.
Thanks!!

My 99 OBS was just totalled, and I had replaced my axles not too long ago. Interested?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Someone take my 99 OBS for $450! :(

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 21, 2014

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Slow is Fast posted:

I don't have a press but I have O/A and a sawzall. Subaru inner rings are really thin, so you'll need something the perfect size to get the press on them.

For a different application, but same idea, I cut out the old one and welded it back together, making one that was smaller by a few thou but able to press the new one in.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Well great, stripped out the threads that hold the idler pulley in place(the last one you put on with the timing belt). Would any of you guys trust a regular helicoil or timecert to do the job?

I had a helicoil on my timing belt tensioner bolt with no issues, so I wouldn't worry about it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I miss having a Subaru, so I agreed to buy a 1978 GL Wagon 4WD for $500. It has a rebuilt engine with 0 miles, and is nearly perfect besides some rust pittin on the rear hatch. Its the 4 speed with dealer installed A/C (and a complete spare A/C setup!) and has a ton of spare parts. Ideas?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Its red, has 50K miles, and one of the last rebuild ATK EA motors made. New carb, all the parts, spares, etc. A long time owner has boxes of NOS parts and extras. Its pretty wild, its stored in a unit about a block from where I lived for over 10 years!. It has both original blue California plates, which is really surprising since the fronts are almost always lost.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 19, 2014

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Oh man, I take it back. I love that car.

You must take beautiful sunset pictures with it for my walls.

I bought it! Pics forthcoming later today.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Should I just do a picture dump of the 78 Wagon I bought? I don't know if I have the time to maintain a thread.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

What does Subaru have to meet fleet MPG average standards in the US? Or do they have to comply with that?

It'd be cool if they made a new Justy or something, they're doing pretty amazing things with what they have.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Also check all of the evap system, a purge can be commanded by the ECU in that situation and it could purge into the engine bay rather than make it all the way into the engine, causing the smell.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I picked up a 99 Forester SOHC 5spd off of Craigslist for $1400, the only real issue is that it had its blown EJ25 swapped out for the somewhat common EJ20 SOHC JDM engine. A hilarious side effect of this swap is the sweet JDM dual air filter setup!

Album link

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

It's a '99 thing.

My 99 OBS was the same sort of idea, all weird.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

I picked up a 99 Forester SOHC 5spd off of Craigslist for $1400, the only real issue is that it had its blown EJ25 swapped out for the somewhat common EJ20 SOHC JDM engine. A hilarious side effect of this swap is the sweet JDM dual air filter setup!

Album link

Why does my car have red struts? This thing has some stiff damping on it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

If it's a KYB it will have the Subaru part number on the housing, you can cross reference that against whatever car it came out of. If they're inverted (thick shaft) it's probably 04 STI.

Your ride height is a touch low for a Forester so they are probably Impreza-series struts.

Makes sense since the handling is very WRX like. Not complaining! Does this thing have a rear LSD? I swear its far more tail happy under power than my 99 OBS was.

VelociBacon posted:

If your guy bought a front clip for that JDM motor they usually throw the struts in with it and it could be those.

Makes the most sense, the swap was done in Hawaii.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The horn doesn't work on the 99 Forester, and the airbag light is on. Anyone have a good spare clockspring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Mine's a Canadian model so it's stuck on Jann Arden.

Cancon is only present on the Canadian market ECUs.