Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It might even use 1234yf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was curious so tried to figure out when Subaru started using r-1234yf, and a cursory web search shows it goes back at least 5 years.

R134a's global warming potential is still over 1,000, although that beats R12's (the one that was actually Freon) over 10,000, so yeah, it's still not great for the environment to let leak. Somehow the latest r1234yf is less than 1. Also there are different kinds of oils but this is totally Motronic's expertise.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Munkeylord posted:

Yea man, cars suck. The batteries are probably fine. But in newer vehicles theres so much more systems and eletronics that need powered up and if the voltage is off a bit then the car will not crank over at all, even with a "good" battery. This is not a Subaru plague per sey, it's just modern cars suck just as bad and use old or same technology on updated platforms.

Maybe, maybe not. There have been some bad batteries out there lately too

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 27, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rTcBanpMk

Here's a video where he tests a bunch of batteries, I can't watch it this second for the tldw and don't remember the results.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

rickiep00h posted:

tl;dw is a Walmart/Costco batter is actually fine.

Thanks!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It would be CVT only.

Probably true

Speaking of CVTs do they surge a bit like a dual clutch or is this one being stupid? I basically stopped driving the car once I got my other one but family is finally able to visit so I've noticed that as both cars are in use.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Its probably being stupid. Specifically the CVT has a "learning" thing that you can "reset". Depending on year it may be as simple as leaving the battery disconnected for a while. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/reset-cvt-learning.430217/

Hmm. I will just complain to the dealer next time I'm in. It's way too jerky.

Also, 2020 Impreza, 6.5" Starlink, does anybody know if there's a speaker test function? There are two speakers in the driver's position and one of them isn't working. I can use the fader / balance but want to know which of the two.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Duke Chin posted:

hey I've never bought one before but what's an okay cheap-as-dirt roof rack that could be slapped on an 07 WRX sedan roof? Thule and Yakimas are overpriced as fuuuuuuuuuuck

Cheap as dirt usually doesn't go with roof racks. Usually used Craigslist is your best bet

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Or Facebook marketplace now I guess. Is the roof totally naked?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

rickiep00h posted:

Internet says the 92x wasn't made in 2007, but still, Rock Auto has 'em from about $60 to about $180, plus yeah, most parts stores should carry 'em. The alternator on my Legacy was like $140 from O'reilly. Changing it is a piece of cake, it's front and center on top of the engine, it's like ten minutes tops. I have no idea where $600 came from.

9-2x came out in 2005, then only had a 2006 after

Edit: parts store alternators can be a gamble. Not sure if anybody reputable remans them now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

rickiep00h posted:

From what I found on google it was literally just 05-06.

Yeah sorry I read your post wrong and fixed mine. Thought you said didn't come out until for some reason.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I figured it was a Reddit repost but just wanted to be sure, without drawing attention to it :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Subaru, why can't I use cruise control on steep hills?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mine works on hills, it just catches up all that lost speed going downhill.

Also don't try shifting without the clutch with cruise on. I learned today that the engine will just wind itself out if you don't disengage cruise somehow first. Obviously using the clutch pedal would disengage it, but this transmission is smooth as hell upshifting without the clutch and about a half second hesitation before slipping into the next gear. Never grinds, just goes.

I don't think I've ever tried pulling out of gear while throttle is applied, but I can't remember. I don't think it's very good for things no matter how perfectly you time it but I used to do that sometimes. Oh well.

This one is a CVT and it's actually pretty smart about "downshifting" down hills and even applies the brakes, to some extent. I guess the camera system can't track the lead car up or down steep slopes, but then I'd like to just use regular cruise control.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

It would rev to the limit. Cruise control in these things is really drat simple. It has no idea what gear you are in, or not any gear for that matter. That's why there are switches on the brake and clutch pedal to disengage it.

I just meant in any car, not even with the cruise control on, hah.

My last manual Subaru was a WRX which had bad syncros from the factory, so not sure it'd be a good idea to shift clutch less, LMAO. Replaced under warranty though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know much about anything but my 2020 Impreza uses 433 mhz sensors FYI.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Hit 1000 miles in my new work ascent.

The radio promptly poo poo itself and now sounds like there's a short when I listen to satellite, BT, or Android auto audio.

Giving my personal FCA vehicle a run for the money for soonest time for warranty repair.

Does it sound like this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/subaruimpreza/comments/pnoyo8/anyone_else_encounter_this_problem_with_their
Dunno what the solution is

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hmm, I have a 2020 Impreza with 3,000 miles.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

I'd spend it on replacing the headlight assembly with the one the limited gets. I don't want the leather seats but I have to have the lights, which are apparently plug and play.

Ooh the headlights on my Impreza are terrible. Do you have more info?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't really know the answer but I feel like there have been a lot of fake coin cell batteries on Amazon lately, so if that's your source, beware. Still think they would last more than a few hours though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ultrabay2000 posted:

That would track but I got the impression the alarm system programmed to the fobs not the other way around.

Do the fobs get "unpaired" if they lose battery or do they just stop working?

Oh no, I do believe they should just stop working, not unpair, unless maybe the car battery is dying or something. I had a 99 and an 03 but I honestly can't remember how exactly they worked. The 99 I'm pretty sure was a port-installed option in the passenger footwell.