Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

kylej posted:

Another XT checking in here.

As long as Subaru keeps making AWD vehicles with turbos I can't picture myself buying a car from any other company.

gently caress you for getting the exact Forester I was willing to fly across country to purchase. ARG!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

superdylan posted:

Time to join this club!

Haha -- I did the same thing on the 22nd for a swp 5-door sti w/nav.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

dphi posted:

For sure, I'm off on Fridays and Saturdays but don't work until 4pm on Sundays so whatever's clever. Surgeline is doing a free drag day at Woodburn this Saturday, not sure if I'm going to make it or not yet.

There is also a big meet planned at a local subaru dealership on the 29th of this month in Vancouver. Could be a good location plus there is free food, if my reading is correct.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

syphon posted:

We had a few of the 2011 STIs come to the West Coast Subaru Show last weekend. I think we had 3 of them? (one of them pretty modded... it was a shop car though).

The owner of the PBP works at the local Subaru dealership -- I ordered my 5-door STi through him a little over a month ago, eagerly awaiting my delivery. The white one belongs to a goob in the area.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

allonblack posted:

Shawn and Mario, they're good buddies and both generally good dudes. Pics and videos of both cars up here -

http://subarushawn.com/

Dick Hannah meetup and Cobb meetup this weekend for you Portland-ish folks. Who's going?

I have been following Shawn's blog since placing my order, rampantly eating up any updates and counting down the days until my vin is filled. I didn't mean it to come off as though I think anything negative of Mario -- merely poking fun at his mega long locks.

I'll be at Hannah taking photographs, I doubt I will have my car by that time though. Possible going to Cobb in the morning, but that is a long drive.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
A sort-of crosspost from post your own ride...

After approximately 8-weeks from the order date I got to pickup my '11 GR STi 5-Door. I specified navigation and am now getting the other "dealer-installed" options taken care of (iPod, rear bumper protector, alarm shock sensor, all-weather mats, etc.) I am really excited to be part of the Subaru community and looking forward to keeping the car for years to come.

Here is a photo from the pickup; I requested that the vehicle not be touched outside of the necessary PDI, so it has the wrap still on parts of the car as well as the interior.

Click here for the full 640x478 image.

I immediately got to work after making it home and in the garage installing a set of Rally Armor mud flaps:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

jamal posted:

Oh, and 08+ wrx guys:

Just had a guy come in to have Bilsteins and Racecomp Engineering yellow springs installed. loving fantastic setup. Can't wait to get my RCE blacks this week.

Would they be an improvement on an '11? I would appreciate the chance to lower my 5-door, however I don't want to f with things and all...

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Amandyke posted:

Might I suggest finding a reputable local tuner and putting a stage 1 tune on the car?

Also I must ask what that red car is also in that sweet sweet garage.

I don't know how I didn't catch your remarks. I picked up an AccessPort at about 300 miles, found the stock map and ran it until 600 miles. I'm now using the "Stage 1" and enjoying every bit of it, although I am still avoiding S# with the 18 or so PSI.

In response to the red bumper, I was working on the car at my father's place, and a snippet of his 360 Spider got caught.

Sockington posted:

It looks like he parks in front of Dr.Octopus with that crazy furnace piping.

EDIT: I didn't see the red car posted in "POST YOUR RIDE" thread, so I dunno.

The builder of his house opted for a very restrictive ducting system throughout the house and to overcome the inadequacies of such a design utilized an oversized HVAC unit. I believe a company came out a couple years back to "properly" configure the ducting, which resulted in the Doc Oc monster.

jamal posted:

yeah. way way better than stock struts, and the springs are still a good amount stiffer.

I'm reading great things about those yellows, however I cannot source those Bilsteins, any help?

I got the windows tinted (WA State legal at 35%) and the rear lamps vinyled; I really wish the car came like this:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

syphon posted:

Agreed! Here's my car - http://syphon.us/pics/wrx.JPG

What part of WA are you located in? In addition, how are you liking the roof rails? Subaru? I notice Yakima bike rails, easy mounting?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Bob Log posted:

Motul, Amsoil or Mobil 1 (worst choice) and nothing else (Edit: I suppose there's others that are OK, but I wouldn't use anything else). You can pick your poison for viscosity based on your climate.

Any Blackstone Labs data suggesting an ideal candidate? What about red line?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
Any WRX owners interested in buying the stock steering wheel from my '11 STi? Just installed the DAMD flat bottom leather wheel and absolutely love it.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

FormulaXFD posted:

If any of you guys in the Portland OR area are on the fence about an access port, I'll be unmarrying mine if I'm successful in dumping my 05 STi on Friday/Saturday. Shoot me a PM if you'd like a test drive of the AP.

What version?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

FormulaXFD posted:

If any of you portland or people are interested, I have 8-10 of the oil plug crush washers left over. Anyone wants them, they're free for the taking.

I would love to take them off your hands!!

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

bull3964 posted:

So, I'm thinking older Legacy GT wheels painted to match the 2011 wheels actually look pretty sweet (image stolen from NASIOC.)

They're like mini 2011 wheels. The style is nearly the same, only in 16" form.

I've been thinking that I want to pick up yet another set of subaru wheels for a set of all-seasons just for my 2011 and a local place is selling these style wheels for $60 a pop.

Just get a set of spacers to make things "fill-out" the fenders a bit more! If you find a good source of spacers, let me know -- hard as hell to find a set of 5x114.3 from a reputable company.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Jared592 posted:

Hey, unrelated to Subarus, but whenever a thread contains pictures from your alliancemotorsport site I get this:

I suppose that is an indication of a true forums cancer :3: (joking)

My sister got me the SPT turbo heat shield for my STi, while it probably doesn't add much, I'm excited for shiny pieces under the hood.

Any GR hatch owners experiencing issues with hatch opening in cold weather? After unlocking and pressing the release, the hatch barely rises -- already twice this week I have hit my head while trying to reach into the rear storage area.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

jamal posted:

that up-pipe and the downpipe will crack sooner than later. Spend the extra money to get a quality downpipe with a cast bellmouth. Cobb, Invidia, and Harman Motive among others all make good ones.

What are your thoughts on Hayward & Scott or Ferrita products?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
Jamal, thanks for the input regarding exhausts -- I think I'm going to go with a Cobb TBE here pretty soon, although I like the exhaust tips on the Harman more (I'm just drawn to the fittings on the Cobb as opposed to slip-joints.)

Since you are the Soob'dude, I'm also looking to lower the vehicle, hopefully the right way (read: coilovers?) I really like the Ohlins Road & Track, I know they are a bit pricey, but I'm feeling them if the product is good. Any input? I'm also looking to do the whole thing as a package (meaning sways at the same time.) My goal is to bring the vehicle down, make turn-in a bit more neutral, maybe even a slight lean toward oversteer.

Edit: I'm an idiot, this is in reference to a 2011 STi.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 19, 2011

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

allonblack posted:

KW Variant 3 coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, Cusco/GTSpec rear lateral links (control arms), 25mm Front Sway, 22mm Rear Sway, Whiteline Roll Center Adjust, Whiteline Steering rack bushings, proper alignment.

Is that what you are now running? BTW, I'm the guy who was taking photos of your SE at the Dick Hannah meet, particularly the drive portion. I said yo in the recent "what'd you do to your subie today" thread in NWIC.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

allonblack posted:

Wait, Mason? Hey dude, I had no idea you were a goon ;). When did you get an STI?

That's pretty much what I'm running - no lateral links yet, but they'll be my next purchase. I also went with the BC coilovers for now anyhow, I figured at 1000 bucks they're worth a shot and if they're as great as some people say, great! If they're as terrible as some people say, oh well they sell fast/easy for 7-800 bucks and I'll get the V3's which most-everyone swears by. Plus it was an easy sell with MY WIFE.

I'm happy to drive you around with the coilovers so you can get a feel for them if you want to check them out.

Yo! I placed an order for the car July 22nd, picked it up two-weeks after the Hannah meet. I didn't make it out to the PSU meet, was up at Trillium Lake playing in the snow a bit. We definitely need to meet up! I'd love a ride. Are things much more bumpy?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

allonblack posted:

Nice, what did you get?

Just depends on where I set the dampening. On the softer settings the ride is totally reasonable, on hard the simple sighting of a pebble will rattle your teeth out ;). Springs are noticeably stiffer though (8k/10k) but not offensively so. The car is much more balanced in corners and the understeer has been reduced substantially, overall I'm really really happy.

I got an '11 Satin White Pearl 5-door with Nav. Since then I have slowly been adding various OE pieces -- I'm on the mysubie thing: It's just like facebook, but for a car!

jamal posted:

Ohlins seems to make nice stuff but their $texas motorsports dampers and the stuff they put in street coilovers is completely different. I don't use any of it because I have a really close relationship with KW, JRZ, Racecomp, and TIC, so I stick with that stuff because I know about it and can support it. The RCE T2s would be my recommendation (I would skip standard V3s because the T2s have better spring rates and valving). Also I have to recommend the Harman exhaust for obvious reasons, and I should be able to get you a pretty good deal on some coilovers and the turboback. The slip joint is there for shipping purposes and to make fine tuning of the fitment easier, and it doesn't leak. There's only a slip joint in the mid-pipe so the muffler section bolts up with a standard 2-bolt flange, plus it has the benefit of being full 3"

sorry for going into salesman mode there. BTW I can get you a good deal on an exhaust and some T2s.

Holy crap, I finally saw the AQMotorsport vinyl on the STi, I gotcha. What does RCE use from KW as a base for the T2? V3 bodies re-valved?

Something that draws me to the Ohlins at the moment is the appearance of quality in the machining (don't mind the RSD watermark, it's on waffles):

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 19, 2011

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

jamal posted:

yes, an ALK is probably my favorite suspension part to put on a Subaru.

The RCE shocks are a re-valved and re-sprung KW, which for the additional ~200 is well worth it. Basically they give the shocks a little better range of adjustment and a little more compression valving, and then throw out the progressive rear spring and replace it with a stiffer, linear rate spring. They are special order and come straight from KW, so you can specify the spring rates to go with them. For a GR on street tires I'd shoot for somewhere in the 7k/8k region f/r.

I really appreciate the insight. I've read some of RCE's stuff, particularly their development for the sedan springs (obviously that don't apply to me) and have been impressed. I had a huge lapse in mental ability when you first mentioned them that prevented me from connecting the two as one company.

Do ALKs apply to the '11 setup? I'm having trouble finding any. In regards to sways, would you recommend RCEs as well?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Another simpleton question but what are the pros/cons of relocating the intercooler to the front? Can the hood scoop be re-purposed in such a case to be the air intake or does that not really make much difference? Why not just go with a better performing top mount intercooler or are those harder to design/build in the space provided?

Something also worth noting is that the top-mount design can create an amount of lift on the front-end when at speed (to how much I cannot quantify) as such a number of tuning companies will often run a FMIC with the hood-scoop either blocked or a NA hood assembly entirely (not implying that is the sole or even primary reason.)

The added plumping does add to turbo lag, in addition from a fluids point, there will be a significant amount of both minor and major losses that ultimately would prevent the system from being ideal, although this is nothing that a tuner is honestly concerned with, just a fun observation from an mechanical engineer perspective.

There is a company here in PDX that is working on a turbo configuration for the GD platform utilizing a FMIC, but reconfigured turbo mounting to eliminate a significant amount of plumbing, we'll have to see what that ends up looking like.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

allonblack posted:

After my last HPDE in my STI (2010, Stage 2 if it matters) I found that near the end of 20minute sessions my brakes were going to the floor which was really uncomfortable on track.

My upgrade list to work around this looks like this:

* Motul RBF660
* Stainless Lines
* Pads(Ferodo 2500 or HP+)

I know the fluid and lines will make a difference, but I'm wondering what pad to go to. So, I'm eyeballing the Ferodo 2500's, or the Hawk HP+ (preference as they're the cheaper of the two). I would really prefer to have pads that will be decent on the street and that won't require me to switch them out for track days.

Will this setup hold up to 4-5 20 minute sessions on track with no fade? Will the HP+ be good for this? They're my preference as they're significantly less expensive. Any suggestion of other pads to try out?

I've done a significant amount of reading that suggests cooling is a huge crutch on our platform. There are a couple different options for directing airflow to the rotors, rally sport direct has some listings.

I'm also unaware as to the actual effectiveness, but grimspeed has a master cylinder brace that could assist with some pedal feedback as there exist claims of firewall flex sans the brace.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 17, 2011

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

jamal posted:

Friend of mine was at pikes peak last weekend and ended up in a guard rail. oops.

Any info on the car prior to the accident? Build pictures or specs?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
jamal, this may be directly specifically at you, but I'm curious if any GR STi owners are aware of a way to adjust the horizontal alignment of the HID lowbeams. I can find the vertical adjustment, but trying to make my vehicle a little less crossed eyed is difficult at the moment.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Welll huh. I learnt something.

Not sure it would be advised as you really should do a hone when changing psitons.

It is possible to hone the block while still together... albeit it would be easier in his situation if the block were on a stand.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Falco posted:

Alright this may be a really dumb question, but the more I look around at Subaru forums and image posts the more I see those Hella horns installed. What's the point? I guess I never saw a horn as an important upgrade point for any reason, but they seem to be pretty common.

I fail to see the point as well. Further detracting from the overall look of that wagon is the missing grill.

Now I do admit, the horns found in most little Japanese autos leaves some to be desired. I've addressed that by installing some horns from the Tribeca, albeit they are black, and according to NASIOC rules, must be inferior.

Lord Gaga posted:

Its the latest and greatest in subarice.

I quite like that term, thanks for the chuckle!

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

... exceptionally insightful.

There most certainly is an advantage, that is, with a standard transmission. In my recently sold '11 STi, I changed transmission and differential fluids to Motul counterparts. Shifting improved dramatically, a beyond belief sort of transformation.

What additional details can you share regarding the specs of your new Impreza?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Picked up my 2011 STi one year ago today.

Still sexy.

I just let mine off to its new owner. One hell of a paper-exchange adventure, alas after 2-years and 36,000 miles, my 2011 STi wasn't getting used like it should have been. Now it's on to a new chapter. Loving the exhaust tips on your DGM.

My last opportunity to capture an image and I ruin it with instragram:

Whatever, judge away.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 11, 2012