Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

The WRX felt really sluggish yesterday. Today I hooked up my accessport and found it making half its usual boost. Boost leaks are irritating.

:negative:

Tell me about it. Try having a shredded inlet that you can't replace in time for your tune because you swapped in bigger injectors.

$450 for a tune while the car had a massive boost leak :( Gonna be at least $1400 just in tunes this year.

My friends and family always ask me why I don't just lease a new STi and save a bunch of money. They don't understand, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
godDAMN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVSidl9mOKs

My tuner just had this thing on the dyno. I want my car to sound like that.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it a scraping sound? Could be as simple as a bearing in the clutch.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Perrin inlet is pretty good. Most of the poo poo in my car is either TiC, Grimmspeed, or Cobb though.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another CEL today. I should've sold the thing in January and leased an M3.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So my car has been throwing p0457. Brought it into the dealer and they said my ECU is dying and something about a drain plug. Parts + labor will be close to a grand.

Could the Subaru gods please stop levying terrible bullshit problems onto my car, jesus christ.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I stumbled across this while browsing Etsy and thought of you guys

http://www.etsy.com/listing/98983293/subaru-svx-shaped-soaps-six-bars

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice import.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You own a Subaru. Now is not the time to worry about paint imperfections.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eww '06s. Blob-eye supremacy :)

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

oh dear lord

:awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Two years ago I paid $12,500 for a completely unmolested 04 WRX with 58k on it that had been owned by an old guy as a second car. And I live in the heart of New England. I'd pay, like, $4k for an old n/a Foz.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ordered a set of gently used 4/2 pots off NASIOC, going to swap them onto my 04 WRX. I know I need to buy the Kartboy rear brake adapters, but what about shims and clips and all that stuff?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Southern NH :tipshat:

Yeah post on NES and NASIOC. You might find someone.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess the power of German engineering is making a car with significantly less power than an identically priced STi.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This battery tie-down...

:3:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

My 5k budget would do great things for my STi :v:

Engine build. Put over 400 to the wheels. Smile a thousand smiles.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

That looks nothing like portland.

Not enough lesbians around it.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just bought an 07 STi 6-speed tranny to do a swap. I am not very intelligent.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm stuggling to see why, apart from the dollar outlay, this gives a negative assessment of your intelligence....?

(Best performance mod any Subaru owner can do)

Because I have now swapped a vf39 and all its accoutrements (sti intercooler, etc), entirely new brake system, and a whole bunch of other stuff that the STi got stock into my WRX.

I should've just bought an STi to start with lol

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
6mt swapped in. Good lord that was expensive. Seriously made me consider selling this car and buying a new STi.

Anyway, there's a very very light whine when under light load at highway speeds (say ~70mph in 6th). After reading a ton of NASIOC threads about it, this seems to be just a regular part of the tranny. Anyone else experience this so my fears of a dying tranny can be soothed?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Spun a bearing at the track today. Pretty catastrophic. Put a deposit down on a new STi and am going to either part it out or sell the 04 as a mostly complete shell. Just becoming too much money. I want a car I have to pay monthly payments on with a nice warranty and no bullshit. Next time I heavily modify a car I'll buy a beater instead of a DD.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
... I don't owe payments on my 04 and I will not be tracking the new STi.

nm posted:

You may actually make more money putting in a junkyard EJ257 and selling.

Possibly. What I'm thinking of doing is stripping all the aftermarket parts off the car, selling them since they're all in great shape, then throwing in some junkyward stock parts and just using the old WRX as a winter beater, and also install a hitch on it so I can bring the bike to track days. Honestly just sick of dealing with it at this point though.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amandyke posted:

Would one of those better baffled oil sumps have prevented this? I'm assuming it threw the rod during a long high G turn.

Maybe. There were a bunch of 2.0l Subies running yesterday, some bone stock who had no issues. I think it was a combination of age, stress from the tune I have, stress from the track - which is very, very technical and demanding - and undoubtedly sloppy driving on my part. Its been knocking gently for a long while now so who knows how the motor had been feeling. Just makes me sad because I have a lot of memories with this car.

On the bright side, I caught up to and was keeping pace with a GT-R in front of me when the car threw a CEL. Proud of the old rusty girl, better to go out with a bang than a whimper.

kylej fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 2, 2012

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to keep it, y'all! Subaru parts in New Hampshire might as well be gold ingots.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what the gold wheels are on the car on the right?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoostCreep posted:

Are Subaru people the cheapest bastards in the world, or is $325 too much to ask for a nearly brand new Invidia SS catted downpipe for 08+ WRX/STI?

throw poo poo on eBay. Used parts and used cars always go for inflated prices on there.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My car is on eBay if anyone's interested. I don't have the facilities or time to part it out nor rebuild it as I'm trying to buy a house at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...e#ht_734wt_1165

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fudgesicko posted:

Has anyone ever ordered an STi from a dealership? I'm thinking of putting in an order for a 2013 STi Hatch and was wondering if anyone knows what kind of pricing compared to MSRP and Invoice I should be looking out for?

I ordered my 2013 STi sedan in WRB for $32,800. I think it was 1 or 2% below invoice. Living one mile from the third largest Subaru dealer in the United States has its perks.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

War Bunny posted:

I'm glad that some people are able to get awesome deals (like kylej, seriously, that's awesome dude) but I've never been able to get a dealer to budge all that much.

Yeah Manchester Subaru does crazy volume so they can offer deals. Gary Smith is the guy to talk to, he posts at NASIOC under the "Manchester Subaru" username. Gary autocrosses and does a bunch of other car poo poo, and apparently he's the number 1 WRX/STi salesperson in the country so he is allowed to offer pretty aggressive pricing. If anyone's in New England it's worth at least giving Gary a call and getting his price in writing (tell him you want NASIOC pricing) so you have it as a bargaining piece with your local dealer.

War Bunny posted:

Edit: I haven't asked about ordering a car from the factory in order to get the exact thing I want. Are dealers generally pretty good about doing this? I don't really know how it works. I have my goony dream of watching my dream car come in on the back of a truck with the plastic still on the hood :3:

Yeah you'll be waiting for sure if you deck it out the way you want. My base STi will take 8 weeks from the time I ordered til the time it arrives and it's plain jane. I asked about adding nav and they said it would add another 2 months in delivery time if I wanted one with custom options. :/

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fudgesicko posted:

When'd you put the order in?

3 weeks ago.

War Bunny posted:

Ouch. Well, I suppose that after ten years, I can wait a few months, as long a I know it's coming. Do they send you updates or anything? How does the money aspect of it work? Did you already put money down and start giving them monthly payments?

Pretty much what Fudgesicko said. After you tell them what car you want they'll ask you what color you want. I was told to have one color that I really wanted, then two or three backup colors in case they couldn't get my first choice in time. I won't own a Subaru unless it's WRB so I told them just to put one color down. They'll charge a $500 deposit and you'll get a receipt and business card and yadda yadda. You don't have to start giving them monthly payments until the car is in your possession.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amandyke posted:

How are those numbers even possible at such a low pressure. I'm at 18.5psi with my hta68 and making 280whp/305tqs on 91 octane with 8.9:1 pistons.

You need to get a better tuner.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ah sheeeit I think my '13 STi is coming into port right now. Excited.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
High price. Only even slightly look at cars that have full on built shortblocks and what not if they can provide receipts for all the work done from reputable shops. Last thing you want is to pick up some shade-tree mechanic's heap that he threw together just to be able to sell.

If he's selling the car after spending all that money building it up, there could be a sign there.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
STi is officially in port waiting to be shipped to dealer. Only 3 months wait time from order until delivery. I heard people who are ordering now have to wait until late April or May. Pretty crazy.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
STi picked up. Cool car.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Nice! No pictures? Hard break in or easy? Mod plans? I kind of assume so but what do I know. I wated almost 11k to install the AccessPORT but if I had it to do over I would have waited half that time or less. Congratulations! Get some steering rack bushes!

Pics tomorrow, I picked it up at night. No mod plans. I crapped through so much drat money on my old WRX, and I just bought a house, so I'm leaving this thing alone for time being. Easy break in.

I must admit, this is my 5th Subaru I think and the first one with heated seats. Feels weird to have creature comforts in a Subaru!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My dealership recommended the first oil change for both my 2013 STi and my mom's 2013 WRX at 3k. They're the biggest WRX/STi dealer in the country so I follow their lead based on all the poo poo they've seen.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why aren't you going to a local muffler shop and having them make a quiet axle-back for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cut speed holes in your hood.