Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

That would have to be my ideal Forester, except maybe without the sti stickers.

And hot drat, a 22b! Fantastic to see one getting thrashed! It would be a shame for them all to be locked away in a collection somewhere.

Is anyone aware of any Australia based subaru forums that are halfway intelligent/devoid of ricing bov'ing dickheads?

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

DiZ posted:

Great one, thanks to this thread I want to go buy a early 2000's WRX.

See how long I can keep it stock before I get the bug again.

Have you still got the gtir?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I am moving to Melbourne in Jan, I wish I had someone there to check this out for me:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=6621399&__Ntt=turbo&__Qpb=true&Cr=3&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__N=1216%201247%201282%201252%201246%204294963801%201622%20443&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&silo=1011&PriceTo=443&__Dx=mode%20matchany&__Ntk=CarAll&seot=0&__Nne=15&trecs=12&__D=turbo&__sid=11DA1422DBB6

A turbo swapped Brumby (Brat?) with a 50mm lift kit.

Although it looks to be the smaller old 1.8l turbo from a Leone, I could be wrong.

It looks so fun!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I have been looking for quite a specific car for a while now to replace the r36 wagon.

Criteria being, powerful (preferably easy to tune, so turbo would be good), manual and awd. Obviously the liberty gt wagon is smack in the middle of my criteria, and has been for a while. Unfortunately I cant get over the looks. It is far uglier then the old spec b, is there any after market or oem bits that will make it look better? I would be specing it with optional enkei sti wheels.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I put a deposit on this.

'08 Subaru Liberty GT Tuned by STI
That is the actual name of it. They built 250 of them, and this is apparently one of them. I am pretty sure it was built for Australia, although other countries had similar special editions. It comes standard with Bilstein suspension, Enkeis, a higher output engine (195kw, although there is a rumour this is an understatement) and 350 nm and more so is more then just a B Spec.

The only thing that throws me is the lack of STI front lip (which probably got ripped off anyway) and the fact that it came with Brembos. The pics don't appear to show Brembos..... I am buying it interstate, so I asked a work mate who used to work at a Subaru dealership to run the VIN. He will get back to me Monday. If it isn't legit then I might still get it as is a mint example, with only 43k km.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

ChunksNensja posted:

Hard to see but it looks like it's got Brembos in those photos. They were black calipers on that model so it's harder to notice them. If it's got the Brembos, STI interior and a build plate on the engine cover then it's a proper Tuned by STI. Checking the VIN might not help as all the upgrade parts were fitted after they docked in Australia so its the same VIN as any other Liberty GT.

It definitely has the alcantara interior, which I imagine would be the hardest thing to fake. Has the engine plate although I've not seen a pic of the strut brace.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

nm posted:

I hate other countries so much. Is that exhaust OEM?

It is certainly standard on this model.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I recently had my 6MT 08 2.5t Liberty/legacy serviced and when I got it back I noticed a distinct "pshhhhh" waste gate sound when I let off the throttle. I am sure it wasn't there when I dropped it off. I actually dont mind it, its very subtle however was under the impression that Subaru turbo engines plumb the waste gate into the intake from the factory. I couldnt see anything untoward under the hood.

Will this cause problems or will the AFM adjust to it?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Lilbeefer posted:

I recently had my 6MT 08 2.5t Liberty/legacy serviced and when I got it back I noticed a distinct "pshhhhh" waste gate sound when I let off the throttle. I am sure it wasn't there when I dropped it off. I actually dont mind it, its very subtle however was under the impression that Subaru turbo engines plumb the waste gate into the intake from the factory. I couldnt see anything untoward under the hood.

Will this cause problems or will the AFM adjust to it?

Does anyone know if this is normal? I am worried I am going to blow something up unless I get it fixed...

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

08MY GT Liberty, is it EJ255 or 257? And what specifically makes these engines apparently terrible? I just installed a dump pipe, 3 port boost solenoid and am getting a tune next month, and have not heard many positive things about the engine....

Is there anything I can do to try and stop this engine blowing up?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Put a 3 port boost solenoid and dump pipe on my specb gt wagon and holy poo poo has it woken up after a tune. Predictably, he bagged the standard tune, but he knew his poo poo and gives free retunes for life. Feels like the poor man s4 avant i always wanted.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

So I bought this tired old piece of poo poo

I might be waiting a while for the timing belt to go, which gives me time to hunt for a built replacement engine

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Is there any real difference between different brands of coilovers?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I have a gf8 and the chassis has 200k km so I want to replace everything. 95 % street use with occasional track days. I'm in Australia so pricing is probably different, but I wouldn't want to spend more than 2500 aud, would that get me anything decent? What does a set of 6k KW do better than some MCA blue?

I'll probably just stick with whiteline for swaybars, bushings, control arms and maybe anti lift, separate budget.

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 20, 2018

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

WTF I meant 2500 I have no loving idea how I managed to post 300 :psyduck:

You are the second person who has recommended me against bc racing coilovers

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Is it worth the 500 extra to go from street blues to street performance?

https://mcasuspension.com/suspension

No good pics yet. I've test driven it (it is basically stock and is much slower than a previous gc8 I owned) and the guy is roadworthying it for me so I'll pick it up next week. It has bug eye STi wheels on it but I'm also getting the stock wheels which I think I might use as tyres will be cheaper and I think the period incorrect wheels look weird. Who knows what extent of PO fuckery exists, but it seems quite clean...

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

14k in aussie dollars would be a steal consider what numpties are asking on car sales.

Is dccd worth it? When I eventually 6 speed this thing?

Edit: speaking of numpties, I've been keeping an eye on vr4 galants for about 12 months. Look what is available on car sales for a laugh

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 23, 2018

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Paint is ok. A few sections of bare metal, how long until rust?

Some sort of dump pipe. Also CAI. Otherwise stock standard

Bugeye (I think) sti seats. Box on the seat is a spare barrel because at some stage someone broke into the car.

Recently replaced tail lights, old ones had moisture
Original wheels with good tread on the tyres.
Also an airbag delete which replaces passenger airbag with a cubby box. Don't think I'll use it.
A used Nardi steering wheel.
A set of brand new whiteline camber bolts

So happy to be in a g#8 again!!

I have MCA blue on order, but will wait until ive have enough money to get some other stuff like sway bars and control arms, and just get it all done at once.

THEN engine. Vf34 maybe, link ECU, maybe a 3" TB... the usual

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

MalleusDei posted:

Dunno about Loyales, but my 4th gen LGT transmission is noisy AF, especially 1st and 2nd.

Every GC8 (5 sp) I've driven has a distinct gearbox whine when accelerating hard in 1st . I like the noise.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

So my gc8 has done just over 200 k km and timing belt interval is every 100k. PO only had it for a few months before upgrading to a blob eye STI. He says the guy previous to him did timing belt at 190k km but I see no evidence in written form or in the engine bay, so I'm just gonna assume it wasn't done.

My question is should I bother replacing it if I just plan on modifying the car heavily anyway? Would bent valves be an issue if I was just going to put new rods, pistons and valves in? I'm either doing that or replacing the engine with a donor JDM sti engine anyway...
I do have a second car, motorbike and pushbike to commute on if the wrx is out of action for any appreciable amount of time.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

In vic unfortunately bud. Do you know anyone in Vic you can reccomend? I'm dealing with gotitrex whi seem pretty good but always chasing reccomendations....

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

ChunksNensja posted:

DIY it. All you have to do is pop off one of the side timing covers (4x 10mm bolts) and you can see the belt

What tell tale marks am I looking for?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I had a freak accident on the way to my mates farm 2.5 hours away. While driving up, the right rear caliper disconnected (?!) And was left laying on the road. I am looking for a replacement caliper online but noticed mine is red, and all the gc8 calipers are grey.... do I have sti brakes?

http://imgur.com/a/P5a3Q28

http://imgur.com/a/Ut3TfAn

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 12, 2018

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

JFC how on earth did that happen????

No, it's just the stock sliding caliper painted red. Fronts arent the latter red ones either, those are grey repainted as well. Looks visually the same as one of my MY99 WRXes.
It was making a slight grinding noise and I couldnt diagnose it. Like the hand brake was dragging or something. There was heaps of meat on the pad and disc too...
Brakes arent something I am comfortable working on myself, so I outsourced it. Later that day it came off. :shrug:

I figure it's not worth trying to reuse the caliper I have, as I'm not sure what's missing (car is 2.5 hours away so cant really check) but I know the piston is missing. Ebay has used rear calipers for 50 bucks I'm happy just going down that road

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Does this engine look standard for a bugeye rex? For some reason I thought the intercooler was black, and the engine was unpainted

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No. Missing air resonator (not a bad thing), intake painted to pretend it looks like an STI, STI intercooler, water tank is black not silver and there's at least one more grounding point for the wiring harness not stock.

Engine's def been out at some point.

My guess is it's been tracked given the eye hook cover is no longer there and the lower foglights dont look like they are there either. They really havent missed many tricks detailing the engine bay, that's drat clean. I'd be curious to see more, someone has put a bit of effort into that one.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-S-Manual-AWD-MY01/OAG-AD-16801503

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

You may remember my "brake issue". Well it turns out I have an "engine issue" also. It may have been my own fault for abusing it in a friends paddock. I am looking for an engine but I'm really looking to get an ej207 and potentially going down the road of a 6 speed and hub conversion....

Yes, I am an absolute moron.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

The going rate for 100k km EJ207 inc ancilliaries is +4k it seems, which seems crazy for an engine that as far as I'm aware is still being sold new in JDM STIs?

I'm having a chat to gotitrex in melbourne at the moment, and they are quoting me scary numbers to get the whole job done. I'm not confident enough to do an engine swap myself

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

EJ25 is fine. Just do your services and change the dang timing belt on schedule

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Rolo posted:

The dark grey helps the look a lot. It’s still wild how Aztec they went with the plastic.

Kinda making me eye a Golf R instead.

That front wheel overhang goes for miles
yuck

both overhangs go for far too long.
loving car manufacturers should just move the foot-print so far in board that the bean counters can calculate the most profitable solution of crumple zone and safety. Because that is clearly the point we are at.

Drivablity and fun are now abstracts. Fun is a marketing thing, drivablity is how many computers we can stuff in. CVT is our god.

Yaris GR protect me

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 13, 2021

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I thought the 07 hatch subaru lost me, but in reality it was the last rex I would own. Maybe if they werent loving assholes and made the levorg a manual option, I could forgive them. Although probably not even then could I forgive them.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Rolo posted:

I’m probably just gonna end up with a GTI or older 3 series. I wish I could get A/RWD without springing for the R.

I think the GTI is an extremely valid option. R's are so common that GTIs (especially manual) are almost a pleasant surprise. The performance benefit from an R is pretty big, but even then I kind of prefer GTIs. The feel more "raw" or "pure" or whatever other horrible cliched adjective you hate less

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

OK then I shift my hate to the plastic wheel arches like everyone else.
I will just internalise the hatred of the overhang, which I do not think needs to exist even with a Subaru engine and drivetrain.

edite: re GTIs, maybe this is a rare example of Americans being smarter

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I don't think you will find a single dissenting goon

Kind of like how recaros and adaptive dampners should be availbe on a certain Rally Bred car without having to pick CVT

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 13, 2021

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Will the STI get 6 virtual CVT gears? Imagine if Subaru just said gently caress it and let the CVT work at its peak efficiency/power via SI (sharp) DRIVE
Then the vape boys could get ahold of it and make the droning flat 4 cacophany a meme of its own

(copyright)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I am fairly certain that what you are attributing to "most profitable solution of crumple zone and safety" is in fact an inevitable side effect of Subaru's decades-long boxer engine / AWD configuration, and that those overhangs have been like that basically forever.

Fine. lovely overhangs are an unavoidable part of the AWD north/south set up. They managed to make this tragic requirement work and look good with 4th gen liberties and earlier.