Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

Altoidss posted:

Oh, I love you Yoozer.

Right now I'm having trouble creating nice sounding bass lines.

My favorite one is in this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8d6JhOmcRE

The main sound kicks in at 0:37, which I assume is just a saw or square wave, then as distorted and compressed as possible, yeah?

The bass hits at 0:45. How did they get such a nice, distorted bass without it sounding terrible? Every time I try to use anything other than a pure sine wave for a bass line, it sounds all rumbly and bad.

I think all the other sounds in the song are easy enough to make.

Got any tips on that bass drum? Crookers have some hard bass drums that I'd like to emulate, and I don't want to just SAMPLE them, that's no fun!
Someone may have covered this, I didn't read the whole thread. That synth doesn't sound like a typical square, saw, or sine wave. It sounds like what I call a glitch wave. Essentially you cut up a sample really short and have a sampler loop it. It'll produce that kind of buzzy sound. Then ust come up with a melody.

That kick sounds a lot harder than it really is thanks to an obvious use of sidechain compression. Put a compressor on your bassline track, set it to be triggered from the kick track, play with your compressor parameters until you are able to make it turn down the bassline track when the kick hits and back up in between the hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
It does sound a little like a Vox Continental but it also sounds like a guitar played through a harmonizer > fuzz > envelope pedals and then reversed.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

The Mystery Date posted:

Ever since I got into synthesis, I've wanted to know how to make the synth sound from DJ Sammy's "Heaven". It comes in at around 0:15. I thought it was just a couple of saws detuned with a deep bass sine or triangle wave underneath, but I just can't get anything that sounds remotely like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUuqbSyTHY
Have you tried putting detuned saws in dif octaves or perhaps some dif interval like 5ths?

Sounds kind of Hoover-ish to me.

Hogscraper fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 14, 2011

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

The Mystery Date posted:

Yeah I've tried 5ths (and 13ths and -4ths) and different octaves, but I just can't get it to sound nearly as huge or have as big of an impact as the original.

Edit: Ok, I'm really close now. The trick was just to make the low bass significantly louder than the saws 1 and 2 octaves above it. Also, white noise is key. I'll post a screenshot when I've got it, for completeness sake.
Yeah, I'm messing around in Massive right now trying to come up with something. I was about to post suggesting adding the white noise. It adds a lot to the airiness of it all.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
That's pretty close to what I had going. You also have to keep in mind that when that intro is going there are what sounds to me like 3 separate synth layers going on. The hive mind is telling me that Sammy used eMagic ES2 on that particular track which comes free with Logic Studio so now I'm messing around with that to see how close I can match it.

I drank way too much coffee today and have absolutely zero to do. drat you soft synths. You're a black hole.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

The Mystery Date posted:

Haha, sorry to get you started. I also tried making a separate track for the bass and putting in a saw an octave above at a pretty low level, but there wasn't much improvement. I'd be interested to see what you get in ES2, although I don't use a mac.
Ha, don't worry about it. I'm enjoying myself.

ES2 is pretty simple. I'm more concerned with the particular filters and limitations of ES2. Once I nail it in ES2 it's something I should be able to put together in Massive in just a few minutes.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
The Nickel Creek track sounds like it's being recorded with one of those crappy handheld cassette recorders. I'd be willing to bet that's exactly how they got that sound.

I do know of one way to recreate that digitally with SoundToys EchoBoy and a filter. Set EchoBoy to 100% wet with a delay of 0 ms then go into the settings and play with the wobble and saturations until you get the amount of tape effect you want. Then you can limit the bandwidth with a high pass and a low pass filter adjusted to taste.

For that Best Coast vocal sound try a bit of Ampex preamp type distortion followed by an opto compressor taking 3-6 dB off, then run the whole thing through an EMT Plate style verb. Should get you 90% of the way there. That vocal sound doesn't strike me as particularly lo-fi just as an older 1960s type of approach to how it was tracked/mixed.

Hogscraper fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 15, 2011

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
@Mr. Mutton Chops
For the record, in case you're not familiar with it, the Uni-Vibe pedal is made to recreate the Leslie effect. Not sure if that's exactly what the BK used on that track but it couldn't hurt to try one out.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
I was about to say that I really like hearing the room slap around on that guitar. I agree about a slight EQ cut on that guitar where the vocals are sitting. Not a lot, just a touch.

Yay, ribbon mics! I effin' love those Coles mics.

Also, your ending needs that surfy neck bend dip at the end. Just sayin' :colbert:

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

omgwtf posted:

and intro synth (not the vocoder) in this video
That last one sounds like a transistor organ with an envelope filter on it. Possibly an FM synth recreation of a transistor organ.

Try these and report back...

Martinic Combo Model V: http://www.martinic.com/combov/
Martinic Combo Model F: http://www.martinic.com/combof/

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I'm a guitar effects newb.
Play the guitar as close to the bridge as you can get and play the string pretty hard and that'll get you 80% of the way there.

It also sounds like this guitar is doubled. as in another guitar track playing the same thing. Gives it kind of a super light chorus-y sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

Sad Mammal posted:

How would I go about getting an "Ennio Morricone" tone out of my guitar: a metallic, sparse, steel-string sound?

My go to for that sound is always a Danelectro Baritone through almost any Fender amp with a spring reverb. I'm partial to the Twin myself. Gain 6, Treble 6, Mid 3, Bass 2. Verb to taste. Mic with a 57 off axis on the cone edge. Magical.

• Locked thread