Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sklnd posted:

What's the easiest way to get bugs off of a textile jacket?

I have a white Icon textile that only stays that way for a day or two. When it gets totally covered in bugs I just throw it in the washing machine and it comes out like new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Polynomial posted:

About engine breaking: does fuel injection lessen the force of engine breaking? Just curious.

No, but some newer bikes will do funny stuff like let air in so you're reducing engine breaking and making an electronic slipper clutch of sorts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

HOLY gently caress :argh:

Sorry.

I must have been reading his post while typing mine.

disc breaks

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I broke a chain once on a 4-lane road. I was mid-wheelie, the bike redlined and the front wheel went back down. I thought I somehow popped out of gear. After a bunch of cars ran the chain over, I walked nearly a mile to get the chain, called a friend to come pick me up, bought a clip-link, installed it on the side of the road, and went on my way.

The chain was dry as hell, you almost couldn't bend the links with your hand. I learned how to clean and grease a chain shortly thereafter.

It had like 27,000 miles on it. I rode the bike another thousand or two and then sold it, without replacing the chain. :(

I know there are some bikes out there where the chain can hit (and destroy) the water pump if it breaks. That would suck.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Christoff posted:

So what are some sweet supersport bikes of the late 80s or 90s? I'm talking flashy (limited edition?) 80s paint scheme, great performance all around, and the full bit. Anything above 600ccs, really. Something like the repsol CBR.

900RR, ZX-7....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Christoff posted:

I saw them mentioned. Obviously it sounds like a bad idea but there's ones that only block certain DBs right?

So I don't just have a crappy helmet? :v:

DISCLAIMER: I work for an earplug manufacturer. Unfortunately I don't get to do as much 'testing' as I would like.

Earplugs work great for motorcycles because they are very good at blocking the frequencies that you find in 'wind noise'.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Legitimate posted:

I was offered a 94 Kawasaki Ninja 750 today in trade for one my cars I've been hot to get off my driveway. The car's worth about $2000 or so- is a 94 Ninja 750 in good condition worth similar? It's a nice looking bike.

I really have never ridden anything but cruiser style bikes in the past and I'm actually a bit nervous about the transition. If I can handle a 1000cc cruiser can I handle a 750cc Ninja without killing myself? I'm planning on wearing good gear and being careful.

There's a couple '750 Ninjas'

ZR7S, ZX7R

1 very different bikes.

The ZX7R is tame compared to todays bikes, but still a very fast ride.

I'd trade him for either one.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 10, 2009

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Legitimate posted:

It is a Ninja ZX7R

Go trade him now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ari.gato posted:

Stupid question, but what is that tape called that you see wrapped around exhaust pipes on cafe racers and streetfighters and such? And where can I get some?

Jegs, Summit, whoever. 'Exhaust wrap'

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/1202563/10002/-1

Even better, wire wrap and (optionally) spray some high temp clearcoat over the exhaust wrap

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

God-damned Pilates posted:

Does that stuff cause the exhaust to rot out more quickly? That's the only thing keeping me from wrapping my exhausts in it.

It can make it crack...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MrZig posted:

Obviously a gigantic goldwing windshield and fairings are going to be better, but what about the smaller ones?

A huge difference.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Wind noise at 55+ mph is insane with an open-face helmet. I wear earplugs, and got teased by my buddies. gently caress them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

Most people I know consider 600 miles/day to be the most you can reasonably go without completely wearing yourself out.

I might be bringing up my old bosses Road King from Florida to Michigan, straight up I75. I was planning on doing the trip in 2 days, I think it's 1600-1700 miles.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

I assume you've driven I-75 through Georgia and know what kind of a construction-riddled shithole deathtrap it is?

I've rode through it a few times in a car, it's a long loving state. The roads can't be any worse than I-75 in Michigan

We used to do the Michigan -> Florida in 24 hours straight. Hell, we did Michigan -> Mexico, then we got there and my grandpa got all pissed off and made my stepdad drive all the way back without stopping.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dolphin posted:

Does anyone know what the price for an OEM spoke set normally comes to? I have a 1970 Honda CL350 and I've been looking everywhere for parts for the thing, and the one place that has spokes is charging $2.70 per spoke. For 72 spokes that comes to roughly $200 just for the spokes on my little 350. Is there a better option?

I would imagine there's a forum (or eBay) where you can find a whole wheel for $100 or less, and you'll probably get a tire with it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

10W40 is fine in ~ 40 degree temperatures and even colder.

The bad thing about 5W30 is that most are energy conserving, which you don't want.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

chryst posted:

Ok, time for the first oil change. The manual says to use 10w-40, and nothing labeled as "energy conserving".

Anything else I should know about picking oil, or will the box of Castrol GTX synthetic stuff I've got be ok?

Just go grab some diesel or motorcycle oil. Don't use car oil.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

So, I know I need to break the chain to get it off (how, I'm not sure yet). Do new o-ring chains come with clip-style master links, or am I going to have to bring it to the shop and have it all pressed together?

Shop? You can press the plate on the new link with a chain tool.

Or you can just buy a clip link and be done with it. You'll have people warning you about it but it'll hold just fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

As much of a deal that $8 tool from HF seems, it doesn't include the little plate press, and I'm sure that it's a huge POS like anything else from that drat store... Although Motion Pro has been raping people for years on that kit...

Ola posted:

Clip-style master links on bikes bigger than 500cc:

Clips are fine. Look at that chain, a clip link isn't the reason that thing would have broke. That chain should have been off the bike a long time ago.

I've seen chains break a second and third time, and the new master link is NEVER where they break. It's always because we've put one on in an emergency, and the person 'forgets' to get a new chain and keeps riding on it for a couple more months.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A friend of mine is asking why motorcycles generally run higher pressure in the rear tire than the front, when it seems in cars that people generally run higher pressure in the front than the rear.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

If you mean registration, I'd check with your state. In Michigan it wasn't a big deal to let the registration expire and then renew it when you're going to ride it again.

They hosed it up now. Thanks Granholm! :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Christoff posted:

Is it bad if just simply leave the battery unplugged? How much are trickle chargers?

If it's not going to be freezing where you live, it'll be fine. In the winter I bring my batteries in the house over the winter. Trickle chargers are cheap, from $10-$100 depending on which one you get.

Christoff posted:

- edit Also - If I change the oil just before I store it do I need to change it again before I ride it? Would it be a bad idea to not change the oil in there now and change it when I get back? It has about 1,000 miles or so on it and the filte.r

Personally, I'd just change it once.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jujube posted:

How do I persuade a friend who's never ridden a moped and is dead set on buying a >2000 600cc sportbike? I'm worried he'll buy one, ride it for a month, crash/drop it, sell it and forget about motorcycles.

I feel guilty for getting him interested in bikes :(

You can't. Just let him ride.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Yea, just get a new sprocket from Dennis Kirk or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Ok, so there is a bike listed on CL http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/1162288640.html I talked to the guy and it was supposedly an "easy" wreck. If I could talk this guy down to around 1500ish would this be worth it if it does run and is in good shape? I have good mechanical experience but this could get expensive I assume.

The way that is worded...and the fact that it's an R1 for $1500, crashed or not that doesn't seem right at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Taelrin posted:

We've decided it's either a dead fuel pump stopping the start up sequence or the security system has gone tits up and is preventing the bike from starting. Anyone have any experience with Harley security systems or fuel pumps, or any other good ideas as to what could be wrong. It started up fine in the morning, rode 3 miles fine, turned off and refused to turn back on. Kind of perplexing.

100% it's fuel injected? Some of the fuel petcocks have a vacuum line running to them, if it gets unhooked, it won't flow any gas. But if it's injected there won't be a petcock so you can rule that out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

I assume it's burning oil a bit and that's what's causing the grey smoke on startup. Doesn't seem to smoke from warm starts, ie. having sat in a parking lot for 10 minutes.

Sounds like textbook valve stem seals.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The current oil only has 1,500 miles on it? Leave it in there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Also is there any reason not to remove the stickers that identify the maker of the helmet. I have an all black KBC helmet, and the big silver KBC sticker on the front looks out of place sometimes.

It could be a load-bearing sticker, be careful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

When a chain is making noise from being clean or being worn, can it go away when not under any load?

Sounds like the clutch basket to me. How many miles on it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

shaitan posted:

Will WD-40 clean a chain? I was originally thinking of using kerosene, but apparently that's a bit difficult to find in non-winter months.

Turpentine or diesel fuel.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That oil pan is probably cast aluminum, so just replace it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ola posted:

Well gently caress. I've been having some vacuum issues with my petcock, mostly because I replaced an old but perfectly good hose with a new but slightly too big one. It leaked at the carb socket and the last day I had to ride on prime as it wouldn't flow otherwise. Replaced the hose with a proper one today, used a pump and tested that the petcock flows on vacuum, doesn't flow on no vacuum and doesn't suck gas through the vacuum port.

Ditch it and get a Golan or Pingel petcock.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What the hell kind of oil would you guys run in a dirtbike? A Honda XR200 for example.

I'm going to stop by AutoZone or something on the way home and just grab some of the Valvoline 20W50 motorcycle oil. I thought I had a quart in the garage but I could only find the quart of OFFICIAL HARLEY DAVIDSON OIL that I have sitting on my shelf just for looks, so I wasn't going to use that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

I've never had to purchase/replace tires on a motorcycle, and I'm looking at getting a 2007 EX500 whose original tires are just about done. Does anyone have recommendations, for someone who is focused more on touring/longevity and not so much about cornering and track performance?

Pilot Road, or whatever the OEM tires were if you can find them really cheap.

KidDynamite posted:

What's a good amount of miles to put on new tires before taking them through the wringer? I'm getting my Pirelli's put on as we speak. I'm pretty excited for traction!

15-20 minutes, take it easy until they are 'no longer slippery'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

I have 3 friends who started on CBR 600s, another who started on a ZX-10r (1000ccs instead of 600ccs).

:bravo:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Simkin posted:

This is what you would be sitting on if he picked up a modern supersport.

If you ever plan to go on a ride with him, and don't feel like having severe rear end pain for a week, there are much, much better choices available.

I'm not sure how, but a friend of mine and his girlfriend rode to Cedar Point from here (180 miles) on a 600RR. They're both about 5'-10" as well.

My Hayabusa was great for 2-up, but I wouldn't have wanted to ride it that far.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

I guess cities don't have freeways.

The speed limit on freeways can be broken on a 1000cc bike in the first gear.

Do you and your friends ride around perfectly straight up, hammering it in the straights and taking turns wider and slower then school buses?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Use diesel fuel to clean your chain. As a bonus, it smells awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nothing like a chain that can stand up on its own.