Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

How do people who've done chain drive conversions on Harleys and Buells adjust the chain?

They use the axle adjusters just like with the belt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Where's the best place to buy tires at these days?

I can't remember where I used to order them online before.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Teus posted:

what happens if you crash a naked bike or a touring/racing bike you stripped from the fairings, you damage mechanics instead of mostly plastic? or do most people have a crash guard for that

Plastics don't provide a whole lot of protection in the first place.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Watommi posted:

When I ride for longer than, say, 45 minutes, I get back pain. It's kind of on the sides of my back, a little below the shoulder blades. By sides I mean it's not spinal pain or anything, and it's not lower back pain. I've only been riding a year and I've always had pain when riding for a while. If anyone else has experience with this problem, is it more likely to be a posture problem, ie slouching, or a handlebar height problem? I'm pushing 6'5" with sloppy posture whether standing or sitting, and ride a Triumph Scrambler.

Weak ab muscles? Do situps and see if that helps. You might want to look into helibars or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

Does anyone happen to know where the oil filter is on a '02 Virago 250? :confused:

Look inside the engine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I was out tearing it up on my new-to-me CBR600RR. Two stupid questions:

Tire pressure. I'm running 32/front and 30/rear. Rides kind of harsh, rear is kind of skittish. Should I be running less or is this just how it is?

When I do fast turns should I still be on the seat, or literally off the seat holding onto the bike with the inside of my legs, sort of like on a dirtbike? I was doing it the second way today.

Also when I come to a hard stop (thanks old man for just randomly stopping in the middle of the road, loving church traffic), I heard a 'bang' from the bottom of the bike, like the chain came up and hit? The slack on the chain seems in spec.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

Up the pressure in the rear a few psi, check the age on the tires, and check your rear suspension.

You should lean your shoulders to the inside. Your upper body position is way more important than your lower body position. But you don't want to cross up, make sure your rear end is either in line with the bike or just off to the inside.

The bang could have been your rear suspension extending if you were braking aggressively. Again though, check your rear suspension for play. Maybe go out and do some braking practice and see if you can replicate the noise.

I get 'behind the inside mirror' if that makes any sense.

I'll add a little to the rear

The front tire is stock, plenty of tread but it sucks, I have no confidence in it. Slightly feathered so it's a little squirrely. Spoiled by the brand new tires I have rode on each of the last few year. Rear is a pilot power I think.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Methusulah posted:

I'm thinking of getting this chain here. O-Ring, rivet type, seems to be everything a bike dreams for.

1. As far as riveting goes, would I be able to do it with a ball-peen hammer and anvil? I'm planning on taking the swingarm off to take the old one off and put one on.

2. What exactly do the numbers for chains mean? I'm pretty sure my bike needs a 530 but what does that mean? As well as the 100-130 number range in the choice bar, are those number of links?

3. Should I maybe find a different brand or price range? I've never bought a chain and I'm not entirely sure what I need to look out for.

You can do the rivet by hand, but a little chain tool is easy to do it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...=112&zmap=66488

quote:

The 40 Class specs are as follows: those with a chain number of 420 have an inside width of 6.35 mm. The 40 Class with a 425 chain number have a 7.95 mm inner width. The one with 428 chain numbers have an inner width of 7.95 mm.

The next motorcycle chain size is the 50 Class. Those with a chain number of 520 have an inner width of 6.35 mm. If the chain number is 525, the inner width is 7.95 mm. If the chain number is 530, the inner width is 9.53. The 60 Class has a chain number of 630 with an inner width of 9.53 mm.

As far as chains go, I would stick with RK/DID over an off-brand or in-house brand.

Don't forget if you are getting a new chain, you should get new sprockets too. Good excused to smaller in the front or bigger in the back for some extra pep. Sprockets are sized just like chains. Often you can get a kit for your bike with 2 new sprockets up/down a few teeth, and chain.

You can get a 520 kit and aluminum sprockets, they won't last as long but you'll get a hair more acceleration.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Duuk posted:

This is repeated from my thread but perhaps there's someone reading this that isn't reading that.

Let's assume, hypothetically, that an oil-cooled i4 bike with dual exhausts is smoking from one exhaust and not from the other. Another hypothetical symptom is that the carburetor banks (1+2 and 3+4, center screw) will not sync.

I would think this means one side is burning oil for one of two reasons:
1.) Head gasket.
2.) Rings.

Alternatively, since bikes are high-revving and perhaps ought to be allowed to burn a little oil, the smoky side could be fine while other side is dead in the water due to lack of spark or old plugs but I doubt this. It doesn't sound like something running on two cylinders and that sure was plenty of smoke.

I am intending to check spark + compression as soon as I get my hands on suitable tools. What I ask from you is what else should be checked to get the problem pinned down?

What color is the smoke and does it always do it?

Also, what color are the plugs? It may be something as simple as an exhaust leak if it's black smoke.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Methusulah posted:

Or are clip master links not all that bad?

A clip is fine.

Harbor Freight has a $15 chain tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My right fork is leaking pretty good on my 07 600RR :(

Good thing my dad pointed it out or I could have had a scary right turn.

Is this normal with < 7k miles?!