Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

marauderthirty posted:

So brake discs are meant to take a lot of heat, right? I was going to replace both discs on my girlfriend's bike, but since discovering that they are about $400 each, I decided just to get them powder coated. The only reason I was going to replace them was because the paint on them is flaking off, and my dumb rear end thought they would be 20 bucks a piece like car rotors. Anyway cure temperature for most powder coatings is 400 F, that's not going to warp them or anything is it?

powder coating...brake disks...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

marauderthirty posted:

Not the entire thing obviously, they will be masked appropriately. Just the part that already has paint on it will be painted again.

It's just not a thing I've ever heard of or seen before (or maybe I have seen but never noticed?).

:ninja:quick GIS:ninja:

You're talking about something like this, right?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ziploc posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Performance-Heavy-Wiring-Harness/dp/B0032VINBW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_5

If this is just an extension to add a ceramic plug, why don't the wires go straight across from terminal to terminal? For example, the red terminal doesn't go to the same terminal as it originated from. (Wrong side)

I have these. Plugged them in when I was having problems with my normal setup, and noticed reduced performance. Then noticed that the wires don't simply extend. And I'm having a mindfuck here as to why that is.

current doesn't care what direction it goes through the bulb filament? As long as the red and the black are on the side terminals, I suppose it doesn't really matter which side is which.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tyorik posted:

Who can tell me what the best way to mount a waterproof DC or USB adapter to the handlebars is? I don't have any equipment yet, but I'm looking to buy. I'm tired of having to hide my GPS when it starts to sprinkle (mounted on a RAM mount. I hate the Aquabox though and will just get a waterproof bag). I'm also tired of the thing dying on any ride over 3 hours

without looking at the equipment in question, I'd say zip ties.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Grimes posted:

What are people's thoughts on earplugs? I'm new to riding, and the wind noise was something I really didn't think would be as bad as it is especially with my Shoei.

I wear earplugs almost every time I ride. Only short trips in town where I'm not going 50mph+ for any appreciable time do I not bother.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So my Multistrada is the first air cooled bike I've owned. I've read that Ducatis are pretty cold-blooded, but on a 10 mile commute almost all motorway, I'm only just getting above "LO" on my temperature readout (~105F) about a mile from work, and it hasn't been particularly cold yet in the morning (between 5 and 8 degrees C the past few days). Is this a problem? Is this going to be a problem in the future? Am I worrying about nothing?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

It's fine. Just like reptiles, cold blooded bikes vary in temperature with their surroundings.

hmm, that's a point... it does look slightly reptilian. And it does seem to move slowly and awkwardly and appear disoriented on cold autumn mornings... oh no wait, that's the rider.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Could be some sort of oil delivery/distribution mechanism, sort of working as a gear pump? Or could dampen vibration. I don't know, I'm just making stuff up here.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Today was my last ride before going on a business trip and then vacation, so I won't see my bikes for nine days. I shut the fuel off on the carbureted one and rode it until the bowl was dry -- anything else I can do to encourage them to start right back up when I get home?

give them a motivational speech? Seat-rub? Me, I usually just turn the key and push the start button, but my last 2 bikes have been fuel injected.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Any CAers use a bike pump for maintaining tire pressure? I'll be in NC for a year, away from our lovely 200+ gallon shop air compressor, and need a way of topping up my tires. I had been looking at little 120v and 12v compressors but they all seem to suck, a manual pump would have way fewer things to have go wrong.

I was thinking about a floor pump like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-TCPG-Bicycle-Floor-Pump/dp/B001MK3GFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1349648176&sr=1-1

Thoughts?

I've used one similar to that, it worked well. Better than he cheap Halfords foot pump I usually use, but even a foot pump still does the job.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

infernal gearbox question: I can shift into 1st, and I can shift into 2nd, and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth etc for what seems forever before that damned green N light lights up. Is this a Ducati thing, or just mine?
Also, this morning I noticed that the revs drop a bit from idling in neutral idling in 1st with the held in. The bike was still cold and it only idles around 1k rpm, so the dip caused it to stumble a bit (it actually stalled first time). The clutch lever is adjusted to closest-to-the-grip position, so I'm wondering if it might be that the clutch isn't fully disengaging when the lever is pulled all the way it, or if it's just a dry clutch thing?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

That's a completely valid question. I'm profoundly deaf meaning my threshold is 110 dB. I can hear my Ninja's induction noise (its pitches, rises and falls) and I'm absolutely captivated by it. My SV650's exhaust sound is quite binary compared (on-off roaring noise, which I also can hear but it's not musical like the Ninja's). My old 636 had a slip-on, which was loud as hell by itself. But my new 636 has the stock exhaust, and hearing the induction noise by itself was like a revelation for me, and my lust is telling me to focus on that area for potential modding. Someone on Kawiforums suggested that I get Velocity Stacks for even more awesome induction noise.

If you ever get the chance, find and ride a MV Agusta Brutale 750. I can't speak for the larger displacement ones because I haven't ridden them, but the 750 has an intake howl that is unlike anything else. I would buy one based solely on its sound. The openings for the intake runners are on the top of the tank, and when you're tucked down they're like stereo headphones of angelic trumpeting. It revs to something silly like 14k too, so it's got a broad range of sound. If you can hear it even just a little bit you really need to give it a go! :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've just been watching a little MotoGP, and a lot of riders stick their leg out almost dirt-bike/sumo style before they get to the corner. They put their foot back on the peg and do the normal knee down thing in the corner. What's the deal with that? Just balancing the bike or something?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dzus posted:

My friend's buddy at work is a machinist. He told him that anything I want machined for my bike, its mine. So aside from everything, what would look cool/still be safe made out of billet or possibly titanium? I was thinking of the rear brake lever and shifter, possibly the triple trees?

Every time I see the guy I feel bad because he excitedly asks if there's anything I want made for it and I never have good ideas. :(

an easy one is some nice knurled pegs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tucano Urbano seem to be the most popular grip muffs I see around the parking lot at work. They're mostly found on scooters, but that includes maxi-scoots, so they'd work on a full size bike. I think I've seen them on people's winter hacks as well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

I have a secccreeetttt.

*edit*

I'm rolling the dice with the pics enough as it is.

There's a lot more to it than those two stills. There's also a lot more to getting a bike going than being able to balance it.

I don't know what this is about, but big R-series tourers are built specifically for overweight late-middle-aged men with bad backs. It would take more effort getting in and out of a Cadillac than riding one of those things around.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

what do I need to know about setting up suspension for the street? Does anyone know any good resources for it?
Is it largely a matter of trial and error, and would I know a "good" from "bad" setup from the seat of my pants? I've been riding around with the settings I bought the bike with, but since it's gotten cold, I've noticed it's pretty jarring over the lumps and bumps on surface roads. Since my suspension is adjustable, I figure I might as well make use of it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just over 10v, drops a little when I power on or hit the starter. I'll look for a new battery and maybe post on the triumphrat forums to see if my bike was affected by the recall.

Thanks

that battery is kaput.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

Motorcycle question: what's everyone's opinion of Moto Guzzis?

I love their naked roadsters, since the V11 Sport. Gorgeous bikes. The rest of their lineup (cruisers, adventure tourers, etc) are a little weird though. The Griso is pretty but fat as hell, and the new V12 sports aren't as lean (not that they were ever lean) as the old V11's. The V7 range is pure retro sex. If you look underneath there's probably even a big hairy bush.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

this time of year shops are pretty empty too, so it shouldn't take too long either (barring waiting for parts to arrive from Italy or something).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I wear glasses and don't have a problem with them. They fog a little if I don't pay attention to my breathing or crack my visor when it's 2 degrees and foggy out, but otherwise they're fine. My helmet has a lot of airflow at even slow speed.
I used to have chunky plastic frames, but I got sick of the lack of peripheral vision so I got some thin metal ones that don't block anything so visibility is fine.
I keep some daily contacts around for the odd time I want to wear sunglasses or if I go snowboarding, but I wouldn't want to deal with contacts for more than occasional use. Too much of a pain in the rear end.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ashex posted:

Anyone know where I can get this headlight?

Saw the bike at the IMS this weekend.

looks like an aftermarket car or truck foglight.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Idling a motorcycle does not charge it.

depends on the bike. Old bikes, yeah, but newer ones with newer electrics should output a higher voltage at idle. You've got ECUs to power and fuel injectors to run, you don't want your battery discharging. My 06 Pegaso put out a solid 14v at idle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The turn signals on my bike are pretty janky, last time I saw them working (this morning) I clocked it at about a 10-12 second delay between signaling and the signal actually coming on. Front indicators don't seem to be working now, rear seem OK. Bike has been dropped a number of times by the PO and signals have been repaired by him (rear signals are from a different bike IIRC, they stick out more and are an improvement over the stock ones). It's a '96 Honda XLR250... how bad is it going to be to try and fix this on my own? Have only basic knowledge of electric-stuff, although I do teach at a technical high school and they've almost certainly got a multimeter I can borrow.

sounds like it could be a sticky relay. Find a parts manual and wiring diagram for the bike to work out which one is the signalling relay and either swap it or replace it and see how that goes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The old-style round headlights turned a lot of people (myself included) off the original Street and Speed Triples. Triumph probably thought they could capture those who like their bikes pointier with last years headlight revision and this... whatever the gently caress this is - the problem is that Ducati, and to a lesser extent Aprilia and MV, have already got the "pointy naked European bike" market sown up. I can't see someone who was going to buy a new-shape Monster or a Shiver or even (until now) a Brutale going "Hmm... that triumph now has pointy bits too, I will ignore the random application of colour and buy that instead".

Mind you maybe they feel like they can get away with that because the reputation of the S3 is that strong that people will buy them no matter what they look like, and now they can get a shot at the curvophobe market too.

Outside the UK, maybe, but I always figured triumph got a free pass to sell as many bikes domestically as they produce due to a combination of patriotism, local parts and servicing availability, and generally building the types of bikes that go down well with the British consumer. Aesthetics never really factored in to it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

http://www.forvo.com/word/cortocircuito/#it
http://www.forvo.com/word/guasto/#it
http://www.forvo.com/word/carro_attrezzi/#it

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The standard answer is a paddock stand and fork stand. If your bike doesn't already have bobbins for a paddock stand then you might want to invest in then because it makes life a lot easier. Fork stands are an even bigger pain to use (and if you cock it up you risk damaging your front brakes.

I'm forever pimping Abba stands in here but they really are the easiest way to stand your bike up, even if they are a little on the expensive side they last forever, and you only need to replace the fitting kit when you replace the bike.

Finally, depending on the exact layout of the underside of your bike you may be able to use a car jack under the bottom of the engine or swingarm mount to lift the bike up, using the sidestand as the other loading point, with something appropriately sturdy wedged in to stop it all moving. I'm not a fan of that because Italian bike sidestands aren't brilliant at supporting the weight of the bike at the best of time, putting all that extra weight on might not be good.

Once it's up, removing the wheels is really easy and pretty self-explanatory. Personally though, as most shops only charge a nominal fee for removing the wheels, I'd go ahead and do that instead.

thanks for the reminder, I had liked the look of them when you posted about abba before, but having seen this http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=28, I'll definitely be picking one up. I've got a Scottoiler on my Multistrada for lubrication but cleaning, inspecting and adjusting the chain is still a problem.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'll have to try a few of these: I'm trying to get the petcock off my pinhole-leaking gas tank so I can put it onto a good gas tank (after a petcock rebuild), but one of the two bolts holding the petcock onto the tank is a Phillips with the head stripped. It's a hex-headed Phillips too, but not enough clearance around it to get a socket over, or to get a monkey wrench in there.

It's kind of a perfect storm of annoyance to get out: I can't try the "glue a nut on the other end" because that end goes into the tank. I don't think I can hacksaw a slot into the top because the parts around it block a sawing motion. I'm reluctant to dremel or drill on it because it's on a gas tank which is still airing the fumes out and I don't want to be adding heat-friction to the very part where fuel/fumes exit.

At this point all I can think to do is hose it down with WD-40 (not a lubricant, I know) or whatever rust-penentrator I can find, and then either come at it from above with flat-nosed pliers or something. That or maybe pound a Phillips into it from above until it gets a grip. Any other ideas that work in such a tight and theoretically flammable environment?

I've finally got a guy who wants to come and take this old rusted tank off my hands so I can put the new one on, and this one lovely bolt is what's preventing me getting a $60 petcock off of the tank.

That Phillips head looks more like a Robertson now, so try hammering a Robertson (square) bit into it and turning it. It's not like you can gently caress it worse at this point.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just got a new-to-me Givi top box, and I'm thinking of dressing it up a bit with some Plasti Pip, maybe do the top half of the clamshell in red. Anyone have any experience with doing that? I've never used the stuff. The spray cans would be fine for colour, but the glossifier only comes in a tin, when you apply it using a brush, are brushstrokes a problem on the finished product?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

epalm posted:

In Ontario, you first get an M1 (written test, lasts 90 days, no pillion, no nighttime, 0.0 BAC), then an M2 (parking lot test, lasts 18 months, 0.0 BAC), then you can get you M (full road test, lasts forever, and I think you can have some amount of booze without the cops throwing you directly into jail, not that I would drink and ride a motorcycle).

I'm taking my full M license test next week. One thing I'm not clear on is lane blocking on a road with more than 2 lanes.

1 lane road: Ride in the left tire track, to prevent cars from sneaking past as if you were a bicycle.

2 lane road: If you're in the right lane, see above. Left lane, stay in the right tire track for similar reasons.

3+ lane road (highway): I get the leftmost and rightmost lanes, see above. But when you're in a lane which also has lanes on either side, which tire track are you "supposed" to ride in?

Yeah basically while the examiner is following you in the car, during the highway portion of the test, don't linger in the center lane if you can help it. Follow their instructions but if you have to react to something, do it safely and deliberately. If you can justify why you stayed in the middle lane, they'll be cool. They should go over this before you set out. If you do have to spend a while in the middle lane, generally your blocking position should be where the threat is expected to come from. On-ramp joining to your right? Use the rightmost track. Left lane ending up ahead? Use the left track. Lane position in the middle lane is dynamic and depends on traffic and road layout. I'd say you're generally more likely to have someone on your right try to come into your lane as they attempt to overtake something, but, Ontario drivers...

Oh, and make sure you signal well in advance!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 8, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

These are the plugs I use. One the advantages of working at an airport, hearing protection is always available. They are all-day comfortable and you can use them for a few days before they start getting gross. The lanyard is extremely handy.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 10, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Haha oops! Posting from my phone so I probably uploaded the wrong file to imgur.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

alnilam posted:

Any Toronto goons, or Toronto-familiar goons, have recommended routes from the US border (buffalo) to Toronto? My motorcycle friend gave me great route tips all the way up to the border, but said Queen's Hwy is all he knows past that, and he said it wasn't very pleasant riding.
I'm leaving Pittsburgh for Toronto today! :)

Oh, and thanks for tire tips.

are you looking for direct route or scenic route tips?

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 11, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

13v flat is too low. 13.6 or higher is fine. 16.5 is overcharging, your buddy's R/R is fried.

Source:

quote:

My buddies CBR

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hmm, just got word back from the garage about my bike. If they believe the diagnostic computer literally every sensor on my bike is toast, which seems unlikely (not impossible, it's Italian after all) but for them all to go at once would be impressive even for a Guzzi.

They're assuming that it's a problem somewhere in the loom - is it at all possible that a bad earth on the battery might be the problem? I had problems getting the earth for my new horn onto the terminal thanks to lovely terminal positioning - is it possible that a slight short/arc there would generate enough noise on the canbus to confuse the poo poo out of everything?

Aprilia wiring looms... you've probably got some chafing somewhere or even breakdown inside the insulation. Strip absolutely everything off, including the tank, and go over everywhere you could possibly get a chafe. A wiring diagram and a megger can help, but you'll have to strip everything to disconnect all the connectors to isolate, so you're probably more likely to find the problem with your eyes once you've done all that anyway.
Wiring faults can be a bitch to find, especially if your mechanic regards electricity as some form of black magic voodoo (most of them). There was a Caponord in my local Aprilia dealership for over a year with an ignition fault (owner wasn't bothered about getting it back, told them to work on it whenever they got a chance), in the end they pulled the whole harness and sent it to a specialist who found a break in the conductor inside the insulation on one of the wires that was completely invisible to the naked eye.
On the plus side, I had a chafe that kept blowing fuses on my Pegaso on the harness where it routed around a metal post that held some fairing bit. That only took about a day to find.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

I agree that they shouldn't take time away from teaching riding skills. They should at least take a few minutes to tell the students to learn how to maintain their bikes properly, though.

:eng101: "This is how you check your clutch fluid"
:confused: "but sir, my clutch has a cable"
:eng101: "you should always check your chain tension thusly, and remember to clean and lube your chain regularly"
:confused: "but sir, my bike doesn't have a chain"
:eng101: "remember to check your oil in the sight glass when the bike is upright"
:confused: "but sir, my bike has a dipstick"
:eng99: "just check your goddamn tire pressures"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

That doesn't apply to what I said:

They should put the idea of learning proper maintenance into the students' heads.

sorry, misread your post.
But like thylacine said, RTFM. Some other people were suggesting covering chain and fluid maintenance, but bikes vary too much for that to be useful to everyone, especially in the limited time they'd be able to give to it. Not to mention you're going to drive people away if, when people ask someone who's taken the course how it was, the reply is "waste of time, they kept going on about carb maintenance and chain lube instead of how to ride a bike".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ArbitraryTA posted:

So I was considering getting a Screaming Eagle (:911:) air intake/filter system and reboring my 883 XLH to a 1200, anyone have any opinions or experience on the Screaming Eagle filters and/or the reboring kit for the Sportster as to how worth it putting anything on is? For reference at my local dealership the air intake is about 133 and the boring kit all said and done adds up to about 1 grand.

would it be cheaper to buy a cylinder kit rather than bore out your 883 ones? Just a quick look on ebay shows a bunch of complete cylinder replacement kits for upgrading the motor to 1200 for around $500.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Riding gravel roads on my streetbike did worlds for scaring the poo poo out of me. I'm allergic to low-traction scenarios of any kind.

As a noob on my old vfr750, I found myself with a friend accidentally not just on a gravel road, but a washed out gravel and mud single track trail that cut across a creek with steep hills either side. I somehow got through in one piece, without dropping the bike or burning out the clutch. What I learned, if anything, is that as long as you keep your clenching to your butthole, and try to keep everything else loose, you'll be ok. And also that there are risks you have to consider when you're doing one of those "follow random roads" kind of rides. I still don't know where that was.

It was loving lairy as gently caress though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nullscan posted:

RE: Filtering chat

I'm going to be so broken when I get back to the States in a couple of years, as Korean drivers don't seem to care about filtering at all. In fact most of the time they seem to get pissed off if I'm taking up a full lane so I've kind of just started doing it by default now.

Especially when there are delivery scooters using cross-walks to cross the street, jumping curbs and running on sidewalks, and other silly stuff.

I do get looks occasionally due to riding something larger than a scooter though.

Yeah if I ever moved back to Canada I don't think I could own a motorbike, I've become so used to filtering. Either that or I'd just keep doing it and gently caress the police. Lanes are so wide on north American highways anyway that even if both cars on either side opened their doors, there'd still be space to get through.

As for the UK Red light thing, the lights here turn yellow before they turn green, so you've got some advance warning before you need to decide to squeeze yourself in somewhere or just continue to the front. Also, everyone drives tiny displacement, poorly maintained diesels and nobody really pulls away from lights particularly fast, so if you're already filtering to the front and the light changes, you can usually still make it to the front or near enough before the first car is halfway into the junction anyway.