Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I only got my new bike last week ( drz ) but it looks like I may not have a car to drive to work for a few days. It's got about 350 kms on it so far , but the problem is that I have to leave early in ylthe morning so I won't be able to warm it up for a few minutes like a normally do.

Is getting on and rideng away at all possible without the engine not broken in yet? There's no highways and it's about a 5minute ride up a decently sized hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Does anyone have any tips of keeping plastic clean? I have a DRZ-SM and iv tried Both a brand new sponge, and a microfibre polish towel and both have left streaks everywhere. I know there is gonna be no good way of keeping it looking scratch free but after 5-10 washes its going to look really really bad. I also tried a 'motorcycle plastics cleaner' that after a test patch, i threw into the bin straight away.

Lawn posted:

I went into a dealership today looking at scooters and wound up looking at motorcycles. I can't help myself.

Anyway, they recommended a KLX 250 SF instead of a scooter. Nevermind that they're completely different, the KLX looked like a lot of fun. I didn't think to try sitting on a DRZ 400, but I was wondering how the 250 would compare to a Suzuki DRZ 400 SM. I'm 5'10" so I'm not sure if height would be any issue. I want to be able to take my wife around on it too sometimes. Would a 250 be able to handle ~350 pounds? For that matter how would a 400 handle it?

I've owned a Ninja 250 and SV650 before but something like a motard just sounds so fun.

I'v no experience with the KLX250, but i have sat on and researched the Yama WR.X 250 and own a DRZ. The KLX wasn't available at the time.

All 3 would probably be comparable engine wise out of the factory, but the DRZ is chocked up a fair bit to pass emissions. The DRZ only has 5 gears, whereas the KLX and WR.X both have 6. In America that might change your mind but in Aussie at 100km/h tops the 5 is fine.

The KLX website made it sound like the KLX is built ground up as a motard, so it might have stiffer suspension out of the factory compared to the DRZ which has the offroad suspension.

The DRZ is taller than the WR.X and i would put money on it also being taller then the KLX aswell.

I really cant comment of the power of the KLX or really the DRZ either because i haven't ridden much else. But it isn't really a super fast bike, But goddamn i have fun even just riding to the shops.
Its an excellent commuter and play bike, but while i'm just commuting around town i just scoot right back on the seat and there isn't a lot of room left there, so even with enough power to comfortably do everything you want, I'd try sitting 2up and making sure it'll be ok for what you want it for.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 18, 2008

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
The modded one has all the most basic mods that you will probably want to do anyway, a full Yoshi exhaust can be fairly load though.

That said, i think.. that it is just a slip-on and not a full exhaust. There's not much power in a slip-on compared to a full exahust, but i think if you just grab the header off one of the offroad models (its bigger diam.) you could be done with all the easy mods.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Kyon posted:

I've been riding for about 4 months now and since I started getting a little more aggressive with my riding I've noticed that the rear end of my bike tends to get a little wiggly when I brake hard before a corner.

Should I just use more rear brake? Or should I have a look at adjusting my suspension?

The bike in question is a CBR250, I bought it used and it hasn't been modified (other than getting a new exhaust, since the old one was punctured)

15yr old stock suspension?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I'm planning to do the same thing soon, I'm just going to get one the generic cigarette light plug kits (Plug to 12v, Inline Fuse) , and either run it under the seat, or keep a long cable and run it into my tank bag.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 13, 2008

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

pr0zac posted:

Well I got one guaranteed offer from a friend (albeit with friend discount) for my Triumph and three people coming to look at the thing this weekend. That means next week is DRZ shopping time. I know the things will outlive cockroaches after the apocalypse, but is there anything in particular I should be double checking on them other than the usual motorcycle stuff?

I think a few of the earlier years had a problem with the cam chain tensioner, but that might have been before the SM came about, I cant really remember and thumpertalk is definitely the best way to find out.

Alot of people swap to manual one, the on the newer years are fine with the Automatic one from the factory.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

pr0zac posted:

My DRZ really needs the jetting corrected, so seeing as I'll be moving the next few weeks and can't ride, I figure the correct response is to buy an upgraded carb to put on at the end of the month. Then correct the jetting on that. I know someone here (Phat Albert?) did a carb upgrade on their DRZ, was hoping to get some suggestions and tips before I dive in. Probably gonna go with: http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_keihin_drzfcrmx.htm Should definitely be doable in a few hours right?

That kit is sold out constantly, and they dont restock very much. Check ebay.

On Australian ebay nothing has been listed under "FCR" in 4 months, iv given up :(

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I don't mean to sound like an rear end, buy you aren't trying to put the clutch side on the throttle are you?

EDIT: ^^^^ Listen to him. Hit it with a hairdryer, then lube it with grip glue and it should go on with only a little trouble.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 9, 2009

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
DRZ-E cables work better i think, i think i might have read it on thumpertank, ask there they live and breathe Derzas.

While the DRZ crew is here, anyone changed the levers on theres? After riding for a while my hands really start to cramp. Even while fresh i cant get more than 2 fingers to grab the brake, its just too far from the grip. The Zeta ones seem decent and they aren't crazily priced in Australia, i'll grab a set when i can i think.

Goddamn i need a FCR :(

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
i think i have weird thumbs, (I have a pair of joe rocket gloves that fit great everywhere but don't fit the thumbs and i have a pair of A* gloves that fit my thumbs but not anywhere else).

EDIT: That was awkward as hell, and its still hard to understand.

When i grab the clutch and my fingers bend up, the yellow line is where my fingers grab the clutch. As you can see it is a little off on the first finger, but the second finger is really far.

To grab the clutch with 2 fingers i have to roll my wrist forward and twist my wrist around my thumb. Which causes my wrist to cramp up.

1 finger grabbing, mostly normal wrist angle.

2 fingers grabbing, you can see how much i need to twist the wrist around

Front brake is nowhere near as bad, and iv had no trouble on my last bike. I just plain cant reach the clutch lever.

After looking at those photo's and sitting on my bike for 10 minutes, I have no loving idea why its so awkward to grab. My fingers do reach, but i just cant grab it smoothly. Iv never had this problem on any other bike at all.
EDIT2: and Seat height? i can flatfoot both feet :)

Dubs fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 26, 2009

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Simkin posted:

So put it in neutral, pull the clutch in, start the bike, and then walk away. How is this difficult? :iiam:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Christoff posted:

I understand the purpose but I don't see why it won't let me start the drat thing in neutral without the clutch being in.

Because it's a hell of alot simpler to wire 1 circuit to not left you take off without the clutch in at all, than it is to wire a multiple circuits to let you only only to start with the couch out in neutral.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

chryst posted:

Yay! I'm first at something!

I had 2 motorcycles in my garage for a little while, yay!

Bice bike,
Did you go for the high mode, or the low mode option?

Many more pictures please.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Oddly enough i saw a gladius today when i dropped into the bike shop on the way home, in that same blue and white color. Its a really hard bike to get a gauge on, those pictures really don't show all the angles on the thing.

Its a really nice bike, and the frame is awesome but there are a few angles where it looks a bit off. Front on its not pretty at all unfortunately.

EDIT: rereading what zen said, i think hes right. Its that lower plastic that covers the rad up, its pokes out too far.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 9, 2009

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

That was kinda my question. Say, on a relatively flat road with a 35mph speed limit, I accelerate to 40mph or so, realise I've got plenty of momentum, and then coast the next block or so with the clutch lever held.

Wait, I'm still confused. Are you keeping the throttle open when 'cruising' with the clutch held? or are you closing the throttle and holding in the clutch in?

If you at 40mph in a 35 zone, cant you just close the throttle a bit?

It seems like your going 40...35...40....35...40...35? Cant you just hold the throttle at 35?

I'm really confused here.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 17, 2009

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
After my Sony in-ear buds broke recently i have just started wearing foam plugs and just looping my iphone plugs over the top of my ears so they just sit near my ears, takes a bit of fiddling to start with but i can get it first time now.

The foam plugs cut all the wind/exhaust noise and the plugs play the music loud enough to hear comfortably while not cutting car noise and such. I was always planning on buying some etymotics or getting some made but i can at least put it off for a while now.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Batteries are years from being ready for any electric bikes to even be useful or cost competitive, and there is a new one every week.

Who gives a poo poo about this PR campaign by X company about Y bike?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
79.GS850 - Airbox and battery box, hi temp paint needed? or normal poo poo

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I was thinking the same thing.

yay, because its bright as all gently caress at night and bling.

nay, because red and orange.

helpful?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Dubs posted:

installing carb... chat thread

Actually questions,

2. ... Questions thread.

Q2,
I pulled my fairings today and found some evidence of fuel in my airbox.
What causes this to suddenly appear after nearly 2 years of use? I checked it not long ago.

Somebody loving with the throttle and flooding it while parked? Flooded start? Backfire on start? crazy lean carb settings all of a sudden? petcock stuck open?

edit: like this.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 23, 2010

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Phat_Albert posted:

Ask yourself two questions: 1) Is the bike in question quirky or different? 2) Is the bike in question a Harley look-alike or a sportbike over 599cc?

If the answers are yes, and no, then we dont get it here.

hayden. posted:

DN 01

DN 01 is a scooter.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Reuseable for sure, and you really dont need to torque the bolts down all that hard to stop leaks.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
and noone has ever, or will ever, look awesome in gear.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
^^^ my mind can't even process the thoughts behind half face helmets on anything ever. If you crash you lose your face forever, i just cant understand it.

This is the best way to look cool on a bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB7braMa1Es&feature=player_embedded

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
yeah it totally is bro

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

frozenphil posted:

What brand of earplugs are you folks partial to?

Whatever you can steal from work.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

chryst posted:

I discovered why all the Ebay stores boldly state in bright red "US ADDRESSES ONLY WILL NOT SHIP INTERNATIONALLY!"

A guy on another forums needed a GSX-R tank, and couldn't find one anywhere in Australia that wasn't dented or a thousand AU moon bucks. So he drop-shipped it to me to forward. In return for the favor, he's fabricating me up a few parts.

Aside from the $428 price tag, it took almost 3 hours for the people at the post office to work through which customs forms, labeling, size restrictions, and whatnot. Plus, they had me unpack it so they could verify that it was clean enough to not get dinged as a hazmat by customs. What a pain in the rear end.

And after all that, the chances of that actually getting to Australia un-dented are pretty loving slim.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Whelp, when you type 'large something awful logo' into GIS, you get a picture of backpanthers cock.

This must be why we have no sticker.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I had those Sony's and they where total poo poo at blocking noise, also uncomfortable as gently caress. If I could do it again, I would go all out straight up.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Are you going A->B across country? If there's no dirt involved there's no real need for a big thumpy dual sport.

Pretty well anything with two wheels will get you across country. Finding something that is conformable enough to ride on all day that can carry all of your gear is the most important thing. That may be a KLR650, a ninja500, a busa, a cruiser, etc etc.

Local availability is gonna be important aswell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I've had some battery fuckery aswell today.

Bike really struggled to crank over this morning, and wouldn't catch. (And I was late for class.) I stuck it on the charger for literally less than 5 minutes, and tried it again.
Not only did it turn over, it was strong as hell and caught on the first crank, and I repeated that 4 times before I left. 3hrs later after school it was still strong and kicked first crank.

WORK OR DON'T YOU PIECE OF poo poo, DON'T PLAY WITH MY HEART.

(i'll prob replace it if does it again)