Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Maybe you use the center stand to counteract the drainage gradient of the street and avoid confounds from the gutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Are those phantom sportscomps? Because lol if so holy poo poo you just very accurately described the weirdness of those same tires during higher-speed cornering on the Triumph T120, and you're in for a treat when you throw them away and find your bike steers like a bike.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Nah they were weird, both in higher speed turns like you describe where you're fighting the bike to turn in, and during U-turns and low speed parking lot practice where there was this nonlinear response that just sucked. Slavvy suggested bad construction in another thread. I was worried I was throwing away money changing the sportscomps out with a bunch of tread left, but it unfucked everything I disliked about my motorcycle.

For replacements I got Avon Spirit ST's and I like them but I don't know poo poo about tires or what's good on your bike.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Lungboy posted:

allows a small roll forward which is enough to overcome the stand.
I need pictures, this sounds like you're pointing it downhill as you exit the garage, which seems reversible

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I originally would get the bike on the centerstand by rolling the bike backward and rapidly jabbing the center stand down to the pavement hard enough to make it bite while letting the bike's momentum carry it up and onto the stand. At some point I figured out that you can weight the center stand's pedal, grab the rear and spread the two, but that is indeed a back strain at a contorted position which is asking for trouble. They probably all have a sweet spot somewhere between.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Invalido posted:

What I meant was meeting some random rider going the opposite direction on the road and communicating by signs, not group ride situations. I guess there's not much apart from "cops" or "blinkers" that can be usefully conveyed in a situation like that. Maybe there are situations where conveying "hazard" or "slow down" would be useful I guess?

I've used a very exaggerated "slow down" with oncoming riders when they're approaching a hazard or traffic pileup around the corner behind me. There's so much less time for the signal, I feel like "hazard" would be mistaken for a two-finger salute in places that do it.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's common to see hand signals on the trail wrt/ how many more riders are following

I just learned this from you, thanks. When I passed some ATV riders once I was wondering how I might hip them to my friend coming from around the bend but came up blank and just hoped nobody hosed up.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Those cup ones don't have quite the leverage you get from the three-claw ones mentioned or clamp style ones like this one that's done me right for every filter so far:
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8

The wrenching motion applies inward force as well as turning, so basically if you had enough force you could crush the loving thing to get the level of bite needed to twist it off.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Not an expert, but I've read a lot on them and yet to see anyone put forward a reason for keeping an evap system which isn't legal compliance (if anyone's checking) and environmental. One can maybe argue the vapor recapture is a tiny thing relative to the globe, but it's still a good thing. The few CA riders I've known deleted them as a matter of course when they get a bike, being added complexity and weight (oh no!).

They're not inherently bad. I had a '98 GS500e that got up to 19k before I sold it, never a single issue or reason to bother loving with it.

It's currently random stalling suspect #1 on the VanVan, because most of my at-speed stalls have been after filling the tiny gas tank to the neck (aka overfilling) before a long ride, or large ambient temp change, when I think it might have been getting gas into the canister. But even that's not necessarily an evap system issue per se. I stopped filling it higher than the manual says last fall, if I get through this summer without a stall that was the problem.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Geekboy posted:

I was considering doing an oil change even though the service manual doesn’t require one until 1 year or 10K miles (I’m above 5K now).
It might indeed be a waste of time and oil, but for what it's worth mine's PO had the 600 mile service done at a dealership which presumably included a real oil change, and the oil had a noticeable amount of metal sparkle when I bought it and changed it again at only 2,300. First time I'd seen the phenomenon, no idea if it even would've mattered had I kept it in there, for me it was an age-based/new bike change.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

If you're in the U.S., Facebook marketplace seems to flip stuff way faster than craigslist, though they're both free to post so there's no reason not to use both. I found my last bike on cycletrader but pretty sure the only people posting ads there are the olds.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

How long does this degradation take, have I just been given an excuse to put a wristband on my bike?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

2018 VanVan with EFI, low miles, zero issues for a long time, going maybe 40mph on the long way home yesterday when out of the blue it starts losing power in uneven bursts and lurching. I put on my right turn signal, which REALLY made it lurch even worse and slightly in time with the signal. I was able to limp it along the shoulder for maybe a quarter mile while I confirmed that yeah, the turn signal being on or off affected how badly it was dying. The last time I put the signal on was when the engine finally died.

At a stop, I put the key in a position that lets you test the fuel light and I watched it light faintly, flicker, go out, and thereafter the bike was just stone dead. Checked the battery terminal connections, they were very tight. Tried a couple abortive bump starts before remembering that may not be smart with EFI. A tow truck finally brought it home for me to deal with this weekend.

So at this point I'd been figuring, since it died while in motion, that there's a fault in the charging system and that the battery would be exhausted, but I just put it on a tender and it immediately cut over to maintenance mode, and I'm getting a solid 12V at the terminal with the tender off.

I'm an idiot noob with an analog multimeter and a shop manual. Recommendations on where to start or what's ruled out?

(Otherwise I'm probably starting with figuring out how to circumvent the sidestand interlock)

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Thanks yall, the battery folks called it. After having the 5yo battery on a tender overnight I hooked it up, got a tiny bit of juice at the headlight and indicators briefly before it died off again.

Jumpered it to the Triumph (whose battery looks like it'll be a pain in the rear end to remove soon) and it started right up.

My relief at not to having to diagnose a short at this point is profound, and equally matched by the discovery that the towing harness conspicuously scratched the VanVan's pristine tank :argh::argh:

Duly noted on the need for a digital multimeter. Funny thing is, I read here about the expectation that batteries be resting at ~12.6V vs 12.0 back when I was first setting up my maintenance schedules, but since both bikes read a neat 12 on the cheap analog meter I've been calling that normal/good enough for a couple years and just did my useless voltage check on 9/17.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Thanks gunes

Jonny 290 posted:

Make sure you get one that has a terminal for "put the probe in here for current measurement" and has like a 400 mA and 20 amp setting for it,

Is that only on higher-end multimeters or something? So far everything I'm looking at seems to be 200 mA and 10 amp max.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Should I change my fork oil soon?

My VanVan 200 is 4 years old, brutalized by 8 mile round trip commutes most days in stop-and-go traffic that warrant two tiny oil changes a year to keep it shifting nice, but it's also pampered by being mostly a street bike, 1800mi/year, ridden in fog but avoiding rain, covered in a carport overnight.

My spreadsheet tells me to change it but my loved ones already look at me like I do obsessive levels of maintenance. I've completely lost the gauge of whether nobody takes care of their poo poo or I have OCD.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Okay that makes sense and jibes with what I'm feeling, it really is a gross input device and unless it's unnecessarily bottoming out or something when leaving a curb I'm not sure I care about subtle, if "detectable", improvements. Handling aside then, I'm not wearing out other internals prematurely by leaving the current sludge in place? I guess the "cheaper and easier" question covers that, ty!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

TBH It kinda sounds like I should just beat the gently caress out of it and worry about it when oil starts leaking.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced that. but then I seldom go straight for more than a quarter mile without throwing in some unnecessary steering inputs.

Hypertrophic arm?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Scam Likely posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOD-Yg8Vgo

I'm the dummy here right? I assumed the driver was slowing to turn left at the cross street, but should've waited a bit longer before passing.

100%. When a car brakes in the middle of the road, you should hang back until you see they what they actually do. That dude could've been going right, left, about to throw it in reverse to parallel park (in which case you don't want to be on his rear end), execute a 3-point U-turn because gently caress you, or be stopped because someone's dog got loose up ahead.

After they prove to be an inconsiderate rear end who didn't signal and just stopped in the middle of the road, you can honk and flip them off once you're clear.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

My favorite is when I honk at someone in front of me, only to realize they're waiting for a pedestrian. You'd think I'd learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I know my VanVan (FI) needs this as well when the weather is just-so.