Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skypunk
Apr 26, 2007

MY SMILE IS GONE FOR GOOD!
Two questions.

One:

Gnomad posted:

HARDCORE MFing winter riding in the 907

Tell me about winter riding! I'm heading home to Eagle River in December and I'd much rather ride something 2-wheeled for 12 months of the year rather than three! The commute into Anchorage would be far more bearable.

Is it completely batshit crazy to do this?

Two:
I have an 86 Kawa. Vulcan 750 that had a bum stator. Took it to the only shop in town (Eureka, CA) and the guy quoted parts at over $300 and labor at the same. Labor I get - to replace the stator on a Vulcan 750 of that year you have to take out the whole engine - but parts? The total bill is $788 and change and I'm wondering just how screwed I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skypunk
Apr 26, 2007

Nerobro posted:

$700 is WAY high. Then again, Im' one of those fools who will rewind their own stator.

Yeah, if I had tools or a garage I would've attempted it myself. Now what, though? Do I try and argue the point with anecdotal evidence that I got screwed or suck it up and fork it over?

skypunk
Apr 26, 2007

Gnomad posted:

Yeah it's batshit crazy but not riding makes me even crazier.

Seriously, I've never had a down in the winter, although I came close once coming home from the local Brown Jug and grabbed way too much front brake...saved it though, thank goodness. That would have shook the beer up.

I'm sure you remember how the highway is in the winter. Right after it snows it isn't fit for man or beast, I wouldn't attempt riding those days due to the cages rolling about like so many carnivorous billiard balls. After say 3 days to a week, the snow is mostly gone due to sublimation from the passage of many car tires-we stud you up some tires and you could make a go of it. I live in Palinville and have made the trip into town on the bike in the winter, I wouldn't want to do it as a commute though.

The bigger trouble is finding suitable tires to fit a cruiser type bike. You need knobbies or very agressive 80/20's, one local studded up his Saber and rode it all winter but he lives in town. Check in over at advrider/alaska forum, we're getting together for a studding party and there will surely be leftover studs. You find the tires, we'll get you going.

My girlfriend's uncle lives out in Palmer and rides a custom cruiser into the docks 365 days a year. You may have seen his crazy long red hair on the Glenn.

I'll see what happens when I get back up there.

skypunk
Apr 26, 2007

Gnomad posted:

I'm pretty sure I know that guy, (James?) and he's absolutely hardcore to a degree that would make normal superheros weep in shame. He has this CB350 that he burned down, on the flats......on New Year Eve. At -10ºF.

I don't know about you, but after working on the docks in the middle of winter with the wind and water turning the docks into a fairy wonderland, the last thing I want ot do is get on the bike for a trip home. And yet he does that very thing.

Sounds like her Uncle James.

Like a really cold Batman...