Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
I want to take the front wheel off my CB250N but the wheel spindle nut won't budge. Is it threaded the normal way? Or do I just need to get a bigger wrench?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartak
May 12, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Also, be sure to check out the Kawasaki W650. All those delicious vintage Euro looks with the reliability of a modern Japanese bike.

...and bevel drive!

I'm actually considering the W650 as my next bike. Good enough to go to work on, and enough guts for a hoon on the weekends.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
How do people handle switching to reserve while in motion?

I ask because today I hit reserve while on the motorway, as usual I didn't click on to the intermittent loss of power in time and my poor baby was going BRHMMMMM POOOOOOOOF BRUMMMMMFFFFFF while angry motorists were wooshing past me in the other lane.

Should I flick it on to reserve if I estimate that I'll be running low ahead of time? (ie BEFORE I get on the bloody motorway?) Or should I go for the gusto and reach for it? Is this something I should practice once in a while to get the hang of it?

Kind of a stupid question, but I was making GBS threads bricks when it happened.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
Looks like they had some bar-end mirrors which they decided to keep for themselves?

Spartak
May 12, 2007
My bike (Honda CB250N) is due for an oil change and I'm having trouble getting the oil drain plug loose. I tried the spanner, tried the breaker bar, but it doesn't budge.

Any ideas?

Spartak
May 12, 2007

Krakkles posted:

PB Blaster, or WD40 if you don't have that. It's not reverse thread for some reason, is it?

WD40 does the trick!

Mao posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Triumph line of cruisers? I'm looking to pick up a medium sized cruiser, but really don't know anything about the reliability or quality of the Triumph ones, nor how expensive parts and such are.

The America and Speedmaster use the Bonnie powerplant, and from what I can gather (according to Classic Bike magazine) its pretty drat reliable, though the cam chain may need replacing after 40k miles. Classic Bike also reckon the engine is good for 80k miles plus.

Have you given the Bonneville much thought? With a standard I think you get the best of both worlds - comfortable riding position and a good view of the traffic around you.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
I wear my fluro vest when I commute and try to wear it when riding at night/horrible weather. I really don't give a gently caress if I look like a dork if it helps some SUV driving dickhead see me better on the road, and not run me over.

On weekend blats, and rolling round to parties... that's another matter entirely...

Spartak
May 12, 2007
So today the chain came off the sprockets and wrapped itself around the back wheel, while I was going about 90kp/h on the motorway. Luckily I was able to come to a stop before the back wheel seized (just), and I was ok. Unluckily my rear hub looks completely hosed, and to make things worse as the bike was being unloaded the tow truck driver forced the sprocket/hub/brake shoes into the soft alloy hub of the rear wheel taking whole chunks out of it. :ohdear:

So now I'm looking at a brand new rear wheel and hub rebuild (probably?)! On the up side I didn't become one with the asphalt, so I guess it's a push.

Spartak
May 12, 2007

Z3n posted:

Spartak, where did the chain fail at? Masterlink, random link? Glad you're ok.

Just came off the sprockets. I kept it tensioned and everything, so gently caress knows.

Spartak
May 12, 2007

Nerobro posted:

Just came off the sprockets... is user failure. If there's enough slack for the chain to get off the sprockets, it was never properly adjusted in the first place. Or the chain was so wildly worn out that it should have been replaced as well. Or the chain was to long.

Get your bike fixed, then it's time we have a long talk about how to setup your chain.

Yeah thanks.

The chain came with the bike and looked kinda old and in hindsight should have been replaced. On December 20-something I tightened the chain following the Haynes manual specs, and I thought it would be ok.. guess not.

fronkpies posted:

Along the same lines as Spartak (well sort off) i need a new chain but cant afford one until at least a month, will i be okay for a month? its lubed, but when i adjusted it today its well in the red, indicating "new chain"

Get a new chain, the consequences will cost you more than a new chain.

Spartak
May 12, 2007

Nerobro posted:

I wasn't trying to be to snarky. So how about something constructive.

What you probably ran into was this fun bit about chains. They don't wear evenly. Parts of the chain will be loser than others, and depending on how the teeth on the sprockets wear, you can get some really wacky chain tension. The first chain I had fail, would go from 3" of slack to almost taut depending on how the chain was laying on the sprockets.

When you're doing chain tension, be sure to rotate the rear wheel a few times. And check, and recheck the tension.

Neither was I, honestly the more I know, the less stupid poo poo I'll do in the future.

So thanks for that bit too :)

Spartak
May 12, 2007
In all black I think the gladius looks kinda decent

however here in NZ it costs about $400 more than the SV650s :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartak
May 12, 2007

Z3n posted:

It requires a bit of a touch, and you'll spend a lot of time dicking around trying to get it to go into neutral. Sometimes it's easier to go up to second and then gently push down into N.

I can hardly ever click down from 2nd into N, however half a click up from 1st works 99% of the time for me, weird.

meatpotato posted:

What's the best way to handle weird turns? I have the most problems with switchbacks especially when there's an elevation change. Sharp downhill turns can scare the hell out of me, especially with bad pavement. I know brakes are very bad to use when cornering, but what do I do when gravity/maintenance throttle causes me to get going uncomfortably fast for the last 1/4 of the turn or so?

Honestly, practice. On my way to work there are a couple of sharp downhill turns, and at first I was going REALLY slow through them, but eventually got better at them. Slow down before the corner, get into the right gear, then look, lean and believe.