Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m really struggling to come up with a do it all bike that competes with my vfr (that I got new for $8000). It has every feature I think I would need: traction control, anti-lock brakes, heated hand grips, self-canceling turn signals, the aforementioned center stand, luggage, fully adjustable suspension, VTEC

The new imu cornering abs does seem cool though

Maybe I need a gold wing next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

metallicaeg posted:

Well if you come up with one I'd take a VFR as my second bike

Dr evil voice one millllyon dollars

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Should I order the quick shift for my vfr if I can find one? What does a quick shift do really

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I think it only works on upshifts and I already do those pretty easy one handed. I ride one handed most of the time so if it worked downshifting I would be into it for sure

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Or you just do it all sloppy and jerky like me most of the time

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I don't really know where to talk about this.
I did a track day yesterday on my Versys 300x. Amazing experience. Great coaches. Lots of training and track time, several hundred participants, all kinda of bikes and cool people camping out at the mountain track.

I was riding with their rookie group. Literally every session there was an accident, some major. My friend got bumped up to novice and also had the same thing happen.

I was focused on learning good lines, leaning, hanging off the bike and body language, telegraphing, passing, taking corners faster than I do on the road - to lean more. Speed..comes from doing all that with precision. Or like lean is a consequence of speed, I was juat going fast enough around corners to push my comfort on leaning. And starting to realize choosing some lines makes riding easier, less lean, you can naturally go faster...

I was not the slowest, despite speed not being my priority. At no point did I feel like I was going to crash.

I learned a lot.

Are the accidents normal? Like is crashing the bike the way to learn? Everyone's bike was hosed up, plastidiped, everyone's suit was torn up.

Like I snowboard, falling on occasion is part of it. Theres way less risk.

Bike fairings and repairs aren't cheap. Medical care is expensive. I would be so upset if I dropped my bike. Might not quit, but I would consider it a pretty bad gently caress up vs falling in snow who cares.

Am I in the wrong hobby? 😭

I have never crashed a moto in about ten years of riding. Lots of bicycle crashes tho, mostly before I got into motorcycles tho

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What’s the difference between accessory and farkle

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

interestingly my local gas station is one of the few in the state that offers ethanol free gas but apparently you aren't allowed to use it on the street due to lack of oxygen? content??

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

They aren’t too intrusive on the vfr, in fact when I’m lazy I don’t even use the rear brake pedal cause I tell myself giving lots of front will activate the back brake. The rear brake has a really aggro abs on it but I’ve never activated it from the front

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

bell also offers helmets with MIPS, mine has it anyway. they aren't all just DOT. its pretty old though, I kinda want a fancy arai or something

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

how naiive am I to think I can import an old bike from japan?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’ll just wait and see if there’s a new spate of 400cc 4s to compete with kawis new offering (honda neo cafe pls)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ahh please report back on that I’ve been looking at it too

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

If you’re in Cali I think the chp also offers a weekend course like that

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

your bike doesn't have VTEC? :smugdog:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

hmm I've never owned a suzuki... the katana would look pretty sick alongside the VFR

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

practice doing stoppies aren't you on like a dirt bike

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I don't know but my old honda had that and I killed more than one battery. Learn to park facing down hill and how to bump start your bike haha

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Can you not straddle it and reach down

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Seconding bike pumps for at home. But also it depends on the pump. I have one that’s great for presta but just releases the shrader air and is basically useless for moto usage

My noob question is how often should I check my tire levels on a trip. Every day probably right

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

for the vfr - i kinda fully stand on it while lifting a bit

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

keep your knuckles pointed at the sky at zero throttle. at full throttle your wrist and forearm should be fully twisted down and it should be slightly uncomfortable

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

anyone have a camera on their bike? it might be fun to record some of my rides. i've seen gimballed videos that look really sweet too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The newer GoPros have auto horizon leveling and stabilization built in. You can get that gimballed look for much less $ with them

sweet, i impulse bought one of the go pros, and a suction mount? hopefully it works