Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

You can't put the tach on the left because in airplanes the airspeed tape is always on the left, and reversing it would be extremely confusing :shepface:

Also the Hawk has the tachometer on the right, so for this particular bike it feels natural.

However, I am doodling a lot of different options, since you might want different views in different contexts. Maybe you aren't using the RMI, so you just want a big central tachometer instead:

This is perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Tenchrono posted:

Should I sell my MT10 and take advantage of the market? I havent had a chance to put more than 50 miles on it since spring time and I dont see myself being able to ride for the forseeable future :(.

Would a different type of bike make you ride more? Or something new coming out that you're really jazzed about? If yes to either, then I'd say sell it and buy something new when you're ready to ride again, just keep the supply fuckery in mind if you want the hot new thing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah but which Diablo should I get?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Had a surprisingly violent tip over practicing in the parking lot - tried to uturn in too tight a spot between two curbs from a stop. Have a couple of questions regarding what to replace and what to bang back into shape.

This is a replace obviously

Do I need to replace this or can I just bend it back?

The handlebars are offset, I think I probably need to loosen and retighten something?

There's not supposed to be that gap there...

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I just ordered a replacement ($25). It's actually still completely ergonomic to use since your two fingers rest comfortably in the bend. Granted you don't want the possibility of your fingers getting stuck if something happens.

Maybe I'll mount it indoors and use it to hang my gear from the new "hook".

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bent the shifter back; the bars realigned after I undid the 4 bolts holding them and tightened them back up; changed out the clutch lever, was not hard even for my below average mechanic skills. Went out for a ride, 65 degrees and sunny today, feels good!

Stopped by a local dealer to get a quote for some tires and sat on an africa twin.

Is the tire squaring off a big deal? These have 4200 miles so I assume if I get them changed out in the next 1k miles or so it'll be alright. Or should I move the time table up?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Sorry I couldn't resist. It'll probably be fine to put another 1k of dry highway miles or commuting on them, but they already look like a chore to corner on.

There are lots of straight roads here in the wild wild west and these tires have also been on gravel roads a decent amount where I'm not going to be doing any leaning. Wish there were more twisties closer :sigh:

Toe Rag posted:

On those tires my front was done before the rear. You’re fairly close to the wear bar anyway but probably fine for another 1000.

I didn't think to check the front assuming the rear would go first, good reminder thanks!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How much does your local place charge to install tires?

Mine quoted me $320 installed for some Diablo III's. I'm seeing $270 shipped from Revzilla for those tires alone, so seems like a no brainer to just drop the bike off and have them do everything.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Cycle Gear charges $25 to mount street tires if you buy from them or Revzilla, and take off the wheel to bring it in. $50 for tires bought elsewhere it looks like.

I was looking at the Diablo IIIs but couldn't find the rear tires in stock online, looks like they're still showing out.

edit: oh also it's per tire so $50 to install sounds pretty decent, especially if you don't have to wrestle the wheels off yourself!

This is good to know, cheers.

Toe Rag posted:

Those tires will probably square off even sooner FYI. $50 to drop off the bike and come back with new tires is well worth it. My Honda dealer charges mores than that if you bring in just wheels.

We looked at several different options that they could order. Several michelins were out of stock; i think my other options were the dunlop q3+, but i think they have a similar life to the rosso 3's and are more expensive. I'm ok with shorter life if it makes for a fun riding tire.

Finger Prince posted:

Get some pilot roads for your next set. They're ideal for when you have to be mindful of squaring off the middle, but you still want something that'll stick when leaned over.

Backordered until march wherever this shop chain is getting theirs (Ridenow - so a big chain outfit). I will keep them in mind for the following set though!

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 7, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Pirelli Night Dragons

I couldn't tell if you were making a joke so I googled and holy lol that's a real tire name.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Always ran into this when I worked in a bicycle shop too.

Customer: i would like to buy this stem to put on my bicycle
Me: would you like us to install it?
Customer: no i can do it myself, i wrench on all sorts of things all the time, it's just a few bolts
Me: do you know how to adjust a headset [this is required on threadless headsets if you remove the stem as it serves as the thing holding the preload adjustment for the head tube bearings]
Customer: no, why is that important?
Me: *explain why and why it's a HUGE safety issue or how it will destroy your bearings eventually depending on the what flavor of wrong you choose to do*
Customer: ugh you charge $15 dollars to do that??

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Hey so while we're here, it's the top cap bolt that you tighten to preload the bearings on those, then do up the pinch bolts, right? It looks like the same basic principle as the top triple design on a Ducati or KTM ie the top nut stops mattering after you do up the pinch bolt, because the bearing is being preloaded by the triple clamp itself.

Yup you got it. Cool to see parallels in motorcycle front ends!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lezyne has a pump head that you screw onto the valve so you can’t bend your valve, it does take a few extra seconds though. I use a lezyne pump exclusively for filling all my tires across 4 bicycles, a motorcycle and a car.

There’s no rhyme or reason to bicycle things beyond ~tradition~ A lot of times and then manufacturers are too deep into a thing and that’s just how it is now because transaction costs are too high to switch. Standards in bicycle land only come about if one component manufacturer gets so dominant that everyone is forced to do the thing your engineers want (see shimano). But sometimes manufacturing wins out and says no we only want to do pressfit bottom brackets because it’s easier to make in a carbon frame.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Reminder that pinesol is dangerous for your cats and dogs. If you clean your floors inside with it, make sure at a minimum to go over it with a wet water mop after.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do hand guards help keep your hands warm? I was riding this morning when it was like high 50s as my hands were freezing along with the rest of me. They would look super dorky on my MT but if it gives me an extra 5 degrees or whatever my all the time cold hands would appreciate it here in the winter or on longer rides.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My hands will be cold in that temperature no matter how warm my body is - I know this from bicycling. My partner jokingly calls me senior corpse hands.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Is there a rough estimate anyone can give as to how fast rear tires wear down? Like how many mm per kkm or something like that? I'm curious approximately how long my tires would potentially stay legal.
Not gonna matter atm as I've got a replacement lined up before my shop starts getting busy, but I am trying to figure out if I am being overly cautious.

You’re being very Swedish friendo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Phy posted:

I actually work mostly in imperial so sometimes I forget things like "what's in a newton" and writing it out helps me.

Fig paste, duh.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I have tinnitus and I have always been very protective of my hearing :sigh:

Sagebrush posted:

i have mild tinnitus from working in machine shops without proper hearing protection. i can ignore it most of the time, but if the room gets quiet, it's always there, whistling away like a CRT TV just above my right ear.

yep it sucks and you do not want it to start. for me it isn't getting any worse, thankfully, because these days i am religious about wearing hearing protection any time i do anything noisy: motorcycling, flying planes, working in the shop, even running the vacuum cleaner.

i tell all my students this and they just don't fuckin listen. they'll put on hearing protectors if i bug them about it, but i'll go into the shop after class and see like 2 sets among 20 people with the machines screaming away. drives me nuts.

incidentally, do the noise cancelling airpods do anything to protect your hearing? a ton of students wear those and seem to think that's enough and i'm really skeptical

I was unable to confirm/deny with my googling about the AirPods Pro, but would love to know as well. It’s not certified PPA so I’m guessing we would never get a good answer about dBa reduction. So I’m just sticking to my laser lite foam plugs.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

Re: active noice canceling

In theory it's every bit as good as passive protection. The way it works is that the incoming sound directly to your ear is let's say 'plus one' above ambient air pressure.
The headphones notice that sound and generate an equal, precisely timed 'minus one'.
The resulting air pressure within the ear should be zero.

This is all theory, though, and it definitely warrants proper scientific study. Perhaps ask around in the airplane threads how the pilots experience active noice canceling headsets. There are a lot of private pilots with tinnitus afaik. Also a lot of them with active noice canceling.

As for me, i've always had it. As a kid, sometimes it was much worse than it is now, sorta sounding like church bells but it was like the Dinggggg's without the DI! sound. So a constant, fairly low multitone NGGGGGGGGG.

Right now it's very similar to the old school CRT whistle. It gets worse after a hard day of work or after exercise.

Riding my bike hasn't made it worse. My SV is quiet enough (with its original exhaust) to be able to ride in the city without any influence on my tinnitus whatsoever. However, the FZR's mechanical bits are a lot louder and even in the city it's too much noise for me.

Highway riding (or riding in high winds) is a different beast. Even with very strongly attenuating foam plugs i still have more tinnitus than normal after a long highway ride. Goes away after half an hour, but i fear there will be a day that it won't.

When the pros came out i read all about how the ANC works and in theory that sounds great for under the helmet... but i'm afraid that it could turn out to be a situation like when you have dark sunglasses on that don't have UV protection as it opens your irises and causes more damage because the UV isn't blocked. Basically I don't want to find out later that even though I couldn't hear much noise, it was still damaging my hearing. And I don't even know if that makes sense after writing that sentence :v:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Coydog posted:

It typically happens during spring break or mardi gras and no it doesn't cool heads at all.

:lol:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Speaking from personal experience, you're going to want at least around 50hp for that kind of riding. Displacement isn't really that important, a z400 would probably fit the bill. 45-50hp on an upright naked bike will kind of tap out around 75mph unless you can tuck out of the wind blast, and if you can you can do 85-90 when needed, but you'll be drinking petrol at that speed. You might find yourself wanting more power after a while of that kind of riding, it takes the chore out of it. If you get to that point you can always buy a more powerful bike at that point.

This is just not true. My MT03 with my tall rear end self on it will [eventually] hit 100 given enough road. I can navigate 80-85mph highways just fine here. You might be right on the petrol consumption... but i've never had lower than 50mpg on my lil yamaha even after lots of highway riding in a day. I do agree with you that it'll probably be easier with a middleweight bike of some sort though.

Lungboy posted:

Is there a recommended engine size for lots of commuting miles? Looking at doing 15k a year potentially, so would a 3-400 be ok or is something bigger generally better for lots of miles? Half would be 70mph dual carriage way, with the other half slower single A and B roads.

How about a Honda CB500X? Tenere 700? Versys 650? Basically anything japanese from revzilla's daily rider leaderboard with the farkles you need.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 7, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Am I crazy or is my only option for an air filter replacement for my MT03 a K&N? Or is this some weird thing where only dealers can get this common wear part?

or am I terrible at google

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Cheers thank you, could have sworn I tried to find it on partzilla to no avail. Air cleaner :lol:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The best thing you can probably do is take a first aid course.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Get your pirellis skkkrt’ing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

People love buying a bunch of mildly/questionably useful poo poo for their motorcycles instead of just riding them.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I need to replace a flat on my dads fat tire mtn ebike. Very fat tires. The tube says 26x4.0/4.9, and under that, 100/120-559.

On amazon they have tubes that say 26x4.0, and 26x4.8/5.0, as well as 26x4.0/4.9. Will all three work, or only the last one, same exact as mine? I ask because of the varying prices, and some include tire levers which I probably need.

Don't look at the tube size, look at the size of the tire. Likely all those will work, but you don't want to be stuffing too much tube into too little tire as the tube can make little folds and rub a whole in itself. It's better to be slightly undersized. Also a tube with a sealant can be a good idea to help prevent flats from small holes.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I always just put 87 (US octane) in my MT03. Weirdly the time i put 93 in the bike, i got like 10 mpg worse for that tank with about the same riding style. Don't really want to try it again to see if it was a weird fluke.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I found ethanol free gas down in Tombstone yeeehaww cowboy.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Would anyone care to enlighten me about why t-bars are so popular on harleys (maybe less so on other cruisers)? I'm in harley land here and just about every listing has these as an upgrade. The shorter ones look sorta ok sometimes, but ridiculousness increases with length. I assume they are somewhat functional in shorter lengths as then you don't have to reach as far forward since the length brings the hand contact point back.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Aren't linked brakes a way to get around not having ABS on like little bikes and scoots in places where abs is required?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It’s ok the bike gets trailered to sturgis or wherever so you don’t need to concern yourself with long ride comfort.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

strangeless posted:

Fashion question: 3/4 Evel Kenievel style crash helmet vs full face "cafe" helmet for stock vintage bikes?

If you want to keep 4/4 of your head safe, you should wear a full face.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Isn’t the biltwell gringo the good version of that style of helmet?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Scam Likely posted:

Why is it illegal to have a helmet cam? The tax collector in blue (NYPD) added it to the tax bill he gave me today for lane splitting.

Probably just something he made up.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Only use the finest extra virgin olive oil on your Ducati. KTMs are ok with lard.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

There are a few motogp riders that are good at that.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do y’all fill up on the way home or on the way out? Or no particular way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

???

I mean I know it's a triumph but they aren't THAT lovely

You mean this premium European bike.