Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Has anyone tried the Polly heated grips? I'm trying to order them but the company is telling me they are only for snowmobiles, not motorcycles. Is there some hacking involved to get them to work on a bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

No, there's no difference. Snowmobile/atv/motorcycle, they're all effectively the same.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/heated-grips.php

If you're talking about the inbar kind, though, as they note there, they won't work as well on aluminum bars.

Awesome, nice link. Hopefully they'll be hot enough, they're only $30 anyways.

Phat_Albert posted:

Be careful ordering these. If they're designed for a snowmobile/ATV, chances are, the right-hand grip wont be big enough to fit over the throttle tube, since Snowmobiles and ATVs use thumb-style throttles.

You could always hog the grip out, but you stand a chance of ruining it. You may or may not be able to force the grip on over the throttle tube.
My understanding was these are heating elements that slide inside the bars, rather than replacing the grips.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Has anyone taken the Rider experienced rider course? There doesn't seem to be much info on it other than it's the normal MSF course except with your own bike. I want to take it next year as I'm sure I have some bad habits to break.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

^^^Yeah I was reading about counter-steering on the other page and thinking how weird it is before realizing "Oh, it's what I've been doing all along."

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I'm paying $380 a year with 9 points (from my youth, honest) for liability only in NJ for a Buell XB9S through Progressive.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

What is the consensus on oil changes in the winter? My manual says every 5000 miles overall but I've heard that if you ride in cold weather it should be changed sooner, as soon as 1500 miles in some cases?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

goku chewbacca posted:

Anybody tried driving a heavy bike up and down stairs? I'd like to get my '78 GS1000 into my basement under its own power without breaking the stairs. Handle bars scrapes and wall damage are a non issue. Any thoughts about wood stairs supporting a 500lb+ bike?

Any advice? I guess only use front brake going up and rear brake going down, and just slip the clutch like crazy. My bike is pretty torquey.

Just imagine how much it would suck if you successfully got it down the stairs and then couldn't get it back up.

I had this idea of putting a storm door on the side of my house with just a paved incline instead of steps so I could turn my basement into a kind of bike/engine/big parts garage, that would be pretty cool if you felt like spending the money.

Edit: Not a storm door...whatever those slanted basement door things are called.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 19, 2008

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Method for dealing with carburetor boot leaks on a VFR honda:
  • Cry. Loudly. Preferably far enough away that the bike can't hear you.
  • Attempt repair on ones own.
  • Reach step seven of 12 step VFR recovery process.
  • Take out loan, on advice of said support group.
  • Take bike to shop.
  • Faint at sight of bill from bike shop.
  • Take out second mortgage and pay for bike repair.

Is this repair common on VFRs? I'm actually thinking of getting a slightly used one in the near future but I might not if regular repairs are going to turn into a huge headache.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Thanks for the tips on getting that clutch cable changed. Turns out its really as easy as you guys said it was going to be. :)

I notice after heavy riding there's some light smoke wafting up from what seems to be the underside of the bike. i think its something dripping and burning on my headers but I'm not sure. My bike leaks a bit (I gave up cleaning up the engine long ago because slow leaks like to reappear without notice slowly but surely) so I'm assuming its some mystery liquid hitting something and vaporizing.
Wherever it is, its coming from that specific area, down near the oil pan. is this a big deal? Should I be concerned for my safety or just concerned about looking like a scrub on my pigpen bike?

My bike does the same thing. Since I switched to synthetic an oil cooler fitting has a slow leak that will drip over time, then burn off in a few minutes if I haven't ridden in a couple days. I don't really pay it much mind other than cleaning it up once and awhile.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Christoff posted:

Anyone here ever done the MSF Advanced Riders Course or an instructed track day? Thinking about one of the two.

The MSF advanced is $90 and takes 2 points off your record, which is a pretty good deal if you have any points on your record. The insurance discount ends up only being around $30 in most cases, though. I was planning on taking it before any trackdays to correct whatever I might be doing wrong (and get points off).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Christoff posted:

Wait, what? Takes points OFF your record? I don't have any points but is that state dependent?

Well I would check with your state, but here in NJ you do get points off. It's pretty cool, you can lose points for taking a driver safety course, an MSF course and an Advanced MSF course. I think you can only do each one every five years to get it, though.

I do know that you cannot get "point credits". In other words, you can't take a course with zero points and have -2 on your record. That would be so awesome.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

What's the general consensus on a bike sitting in the rain, particularly a naked bike? Will it get electrical or other problems if it gets rained on for a few hours?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Awesome, that was the only thing stopping me from riding it to my friends Mad Max/Road Warrior theater double-showing.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

While I'm here, what's the CA stance on bar-end mirrors? Standing by for "bell end" jokes

Mine works a lot better than my old mounted mirrors. The right side one would either vibrate all to hell (to loose) or stick to the throttle (to tight), so I'm just using one on the left bar. I look over to change lanes anyways, so one mirror for checking behind me is all I need.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

The CRGs seemed like a rip-off to me, $85 for each plus $20 for each handlebar adapter. I guess mine are the Napolean style, got them for $30 each and won't be as angry if the bike happens to fall over.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

On the subject of storage, what are the problems/risks with storing a bike indoors? I have no garage and currently use a shed to store my bike (which I will need to replace with a bigger one if I get a second bike), but the thought occurred to me that if I put a ramp I can just ride them up my porch and into my living room. The floor is wood and I would need to put an oil mat and maybe something else down.

Possible benefits are awesome, such as working on it indoors and a/c'ed, as well as good security (compared to a shed at least).

I've had people tell me that if I do this, gas fumes will build up and explode the house. :downswords:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Gnomad posted:

One of my buddies stores his less used bikes in his living room and it works out fine. If it's a modern bike with evap controls, the fumes will be caught in the charcoal canister and be a non-issue, if your bike vents directly into the atmosphere aulde skôôl style, results may vary. Problems would result if you filled your bike with fuel stored underground in tanks cooler than ambient temp and then placed right into the living room, fuel expanding when warm has caused more than one garage fire.

Don't discount the stinky power of gasoline. I bought a fuel tank over the interwebs, when I went to the post office to pick it up I could smell it as soon as I walked in the door. I'm surprised they didn't hand it over to the bomb squad.

Hmm I dunno, Fabio had bikes in his kitchen. I might try it and see how it goes. Thing is I mostly keep the windows open in the summer and the bike would be right next to one.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Welp, it begins. Took the Husky out for the first time after getting it serviced at the dealer. Clutch was grabbing right away and within a couple minutes completely stopped working. Tried to bang shift it to get home but ended up stalling and then couldn't start it (because I couldn't engage the clutch) and ended of walking it a good mile. It's 10:30 at night so I'm just gonna put it away and call the dealer to ask what the gently caress tomorrow morning. Anybody have any ideas? It's a hydraulic clutch to boot.

Edit: Nothing really looks wrong from the outside that I can tell. There is a red adjuster underneath the clutch, which promptly fell off when I touched it, so maybe that just needs to be threaded back in (hopefully).

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 9, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I am going to the DMV tomorrow to register my new bike (pics coming soon). What is the deal with trading bikes when it comes to registration? Can I just write trade under sale price?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

in my state the DMV gets around this by taxing you based on the NADA value on your vehicle if it's higher than your sale price.

Man that's bs. Californa (capital of government bs) I'm guessing?

Hmm well the purchase price was pretty low because it has expensive damage to it, yep.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I've been smelling burning clutch sometimes from my VFR. At first I thought it was me, as the bike seems to drop rpms fast, making my shifting kinda crappy, but cruising in first gear through traffic the other day I caught a wiff of it again without even shifting. My understanding is that the clutch is oil bathed, so checking my oil level is that same as checking trans fluid cause it's all one, correct? If so the oil is up to the proper level. The bike just hit 7000 miles, could this be trouble?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ola posted:

If it's only happened in traffic, you might be smelling something from another vehicle. :)

Nah I've got down and smelt the bike after parking, it's definitely me.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

The guy I bought my VFR from said he only ever used WD-40 on the chain and it worked great. Is this good practice or should I buy some chain lube and slop it on?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

dietcokefiend posted:

WD40 does a HORRIBLE job at lubing anything, period. Clean the thing off with a toothbrush and kerosene and take a rag with a pool of gear oil and rub it on. Get the chain nice and slick on all parts, then take a clean paper towel and wipe off all the excess pretty well.

Sounds good, think I'm gonna go do that right now.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

dietcokefiend posted:

Are tank bags as bad as bumper bras on a car? I want something to keep my tank looking nice on my new sv650.

Well tank bags actually tend to scratch them up in my experience. If you're talking about tank protectors, yeah they look pretty dumb. I'd rather just take the tank off and repaint it in a few years then ride around with one of those.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

sectoidman posted:

Of course, if we go into practical considerations, the tires would explode and the transmission components would start disintegrating long before you reached 11 km/s anyway.

Now if Honda still made the CBR250 the story would be different. :c00l:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

How do I mount my Valentine One on my Husqvarna SMR so that it will be both effective and survive harsh riding?

Edit: I think the only way to pull it off is to combine this with this.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 13, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

PlasticSun posted:

I bet there's a RAM mount that would handle this: http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx

I was looking through them. I think the bag is best just cause it will kinda act like a shock absorber. Then I run the little remote mount up by the dash.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Stalled by Husky in the woods today. Electric starter made a single crank and nothing. Hot start and kickstarter did nothing (though I can't kickstart the bike anyways). Then it started fine about five minutes later. Is this a common thing for dirtbike-ish bikes and is there any dirtbike thing I'm supposed to do in that situation?

P.S worn street tires make one sorry off-road bike. :downs:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

obso posted:

When you tried kick-starting it would it not turn over at all or would it just turn over and not start?

I can't kickstart that bike at all. Never used a kickstarter and followed the directions on Supermotojunkie and still can't start it, so I might just be doing something wrong there. Using it, I got it to the point were it would turn over a bit and the lights came on, but that was it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

obso posted:

The lights came on while you were kicking it? Shouldn't they be on all the time from your battery? If the lights stopped working the same time your starter did (and then worked later without having to charge/jump it) you probably just have a bad connection on one of your battery cables. Bad battery connection will also make it harder than normal to kick-start.

Nah it doesn't have an ignition, everything just turns on when the bike starts. An ignition wouldn't be very "race-ready street-legal" would it?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

shaitan posted:

When you park your bike, do you leave it in gear or neutral? I see a lot of people starting their bike just by hitting the starter, so I assume they leave it in neutral.

I've had people tell me to leave it in gear, so it "settles back" and will resist tipping. :rolleye:

I leave it in neutral, cause if I changed it now I'd catapult forward and stall every other time I started it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

I did order and install the TrailTech Vapor, and the clock is about the only good thing it has to offer, long story short.

Could you please elaborate on this? I was planning to order one, since the Husky has no warning lights, fuel light or even temp gauge and is off on mph.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Simkin posted:

Just wanted to chime in with a hearty thanks to everyone that recommended Avon Distanzias to me. They're loving spectacular, and now I can ride over all sorts of poo poo without the bike getting all snippy. They don't tramline anymore, manhole covers and paint (dry, at least) doesn't cause any slippage, and they have me seeking out every stretch of gravel to act like a retard on. The fact that they do all that, and have as much grip on plain old tarmac as the Metzlers I had on before, makes it kind of feel like I'm cheating. :toot:

Man...I have these sitting in my living room right now and can't wait to get them on. I am going from stock dealer tires with 2000 miles on them, too!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Chairon posted:

I remember back when I rolled my car, the hour and a half ride in the ambulance(We got stuck in traffic) ended up costing $2,200. They said if I had been bleeding or unconscious or hurt worse than I was, they would have had to call in the Helicopter. I don't even want to imagine what that would have cost. And then the four hours in the hospital cost $4,400 for then to take some x-rays and tell me that I bruised my sternum and bumped my head. No broken bones or internal injury, nothing like that.

The point is; Medical costs add up, and add up quickly. And then they just start multiplying.

Just today I got a notice from Horizon telling me they are not paying for my ride to the ER. It was only 5 minutes, but still $600. I guess I was supposed to get up and ride my broken bike there since the ambulance ride isn't considered part of "emergency health insurance". :bang:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is there a bike rack? Just chain it to that.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

On the subject of insurance, how does Rider treat riders with tickets? They won't even give me a quote if you say you have 3 tickets in three years. I have 2, and don't want to deal with being dropped if I happen to get another.

Also, progressive is quoting me a $437 DROP in policy price if I go from the VFR to the Ninja, odd huh?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

The latest issue of Motorcyclist says the Fury is actually selling really well, enough that they are coming out with three additional Fury models next year. I guess a lot of guys care about impressing random people who don't know much about bikes.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

This is probably going to sound really dumb, especially to the track guys, but what exactly is maintenance throttle? Twist of the Wrist says you should be rolling on the gas, but that isn't very exact. How fast do I roll on? Can I enter a turn at 20mph after a car turns out of my way and then blast out of it at 80, accelerating that much through it? Or once I'm leaned over can I not increase the throttle at all until I start to straighten out?

I've been trying to understand my accident last year, where my VFR lowsided at a corner exit. My belief right now is I tried to gas it before I stood it up (not balancing lean and throttle). My attitude has changed from "motorcycles have infinite grip" to "how the hell can I tell how much they grip".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Thanks for the great responses guys.

Zool posted:

How much throttle is going to depend on the bike, the corner, the line, and the rider, but it's on the order of an increase from 20->30mph, not 20->80.

Ok...it seems like my problem is being a wuss on my entry speeds since my lowside (maybe before as well) and then trying to make up for it through the corner. Then when I get close to a good speed/lean angle I'm already too heavy on the throttle maybe?

Z3n posted:

Could be because of that. Did you lose the front or the rear? The bike will wheelie while still leaned over out of a corner but only to a point, if you're still relying on the front tire to maintain lean and you get it off the ground, it'll wash out and you'll lowside. You could have also overloaded the rear contact patch with too much throttle or a very aggressive application, not allowing time for weight to transfer to maintain traction.

As to how to learn how to manage it? Dirt riding is great, so is supermoto.

It happened really really quick, but I'm pretty sure the back came out. I had scuffs off the tire onto the rim. On my old Buell the only wheelies I ever pulled were coming out of turns, so maybe I had a few close calls without knowing it there too. The turn is slightly uphill, if that's what you mean by positive camber.

It's funny you should say that about the supermoto, cause it's like no fear when I'm on mine and all these rules just don't apply. :dance:
How would I practice in the dirt, though? Same techniques just while sliding around? Having fallen off there too, I can say it's a lot less painful to learn on.