Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

relaxzguy
Feb 12, 2008
all business
I bought a 1982 Suzuki GS750E with 29k on it, knowing nothing about bikes. It hasn't been ridden in about 3 weeks according to the past owner. When I first got it, it wouldn't start at all, completely dead. Intermittent power to the lights and starter button -- I replaced one of the fuse clips which was completely corroded, seems to be working fine now. Next, the starter motor wouldn't turn at all, the solenoid worked, but the engine didn't turn. I was worried that the starter was hosed, but opening it up, it looks like the lead to the starter motor is just really corroded, I was able to get it to turn by manually hooking up 12V to it. Engine still wouldn't start though. So, questions:

1) What would be a good way to clean the contacts for the lead to the starter? I'm going to get replacement washers and nut, but I need to clean the actual bolt coming out of the motor. Anything that I could apply to it to derust it without having to remove the whole thing?

2) What should I check next? I'm guessing spark plugs/carb if the starter's turning but the engine's still not starting.

3) What maintenance should I do once I get the bike running? I was thinking chain lube, brake pads, fork pressures. Anything else important?

4) The turn signals blink intermittently. Sometimes when I turn it on, the relay works, sometimes it doesn't and they stay constantly lit. Is this indicative of any specific problem or just indicative of the general voodoo state of this bike's electrical system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

relaxzguy
Feb 12, 2008
all business
Hey, so it's about 30-35 degrees here now and my bike won't start anymore. (1982 GS750E) When it was warmer, it would start fine with full choke, and idle without choke no problem. However, it was definitely running rich at the time. Now, it won't start at all, even on full choke. It cranks fine, but doesn't turn over. I was able to push start it once, but now push starting won't work either. (the time I push started it, once the bike warmed up, it was starting fine without choke)

Is this related to the running rich condition? I figured that with cold air and a cold engine, you would actually need MORE fuel than usually to get the engine to start, which is why I'm surprised that a rich condition would cause this to happen. Any ideas? How should I proceed? I'm guessing thoroughly overhaul the carbs, which I was putting off for a while, but now it seems like I have no choice.

relaxzguy
Feb 12, 2008
all business
I have a battery charger, I tried to start it with a fully charged, room temperature battery. No dice. I can't push start it either, which I used to be able to do before without a problem.

When the bike is running, it was getting about 34 mpg instead of the 48 or so that it should get, and there's a definite smell of unburned gas. As far as I can tell, all 4 cylinders were firing.

What you're saying makes sense, which is why I'm confused.

relaxzguy
Feb 12, 2008
all business
Thanks a lot for your help. I've got a bucket of parts dip, but I'd have to take everything apart pretty thoroughly for that. After that I guess I would have to sync them and adjust the mixture screws? Is that worth the thorough cleaning? I asked the previous owner if they'd ever been cleaned and he said that they probably hadn't. If I clean everything out and put it back together, then take it to a shop to get them synced and tuned, does anyone have an idea how much that would cost for a 4 carb bike?

Or should I just use the spray cleaner and hope for the best?

relaxzguy
Feb 12, 2008
all business
How big of a problem is it to leave a bike outside uncovered in rain/snow? My bike already has rust on it, so I'm not overly concerned with cosmetics. Is there anything that could be potentially screwed up by leaving it out in the rain? Maybe rusty brake rotors?