Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Guys, my Honda Hornet 600 is loud. The past few weeks have have had ice-free roads, so I've been using it as a daily commuter for the first time. Last night, I noticed an annoying ringing in my ears. It's actually still sticking around a bit this morning. I definitely don't want it to get any worse. I've taken good care of my hearing up until now, and would like to continue hearing things. The commute from my house to work is only about 2-3 miles at 40mph max, so I'd hate to think what would happen to my hearing if I did some serious riding.

I use these earplugs on every ride. I put in the gold filters, which are supposed to cut 18.8 to 22.0 db.

Here's a picture of the exhaust pipe. It doesn't look stock, but I have no idea what kind it is. The previous owner was pretty lovely. I had to fix the bike up a bit. Maybe they put on an obnoxious pipe?

What do you guys think? New earplugs, new exhaust, or is a new bike in order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. I just ordered some Hearos Extreme protection foam earplugs, so hopefully that will make things better when they come in tomorrow.

I was always self-conscious about my bike's sound. For the first few months I had it, I asked my friends if I was annoyingly loud or if they could hear me pull up to their house. They all said it didn't sound that loud, so I figured it was just me. I will still look into something quieter, though. I'm not comfortable being a loud hooligan.

New bike will come later. Maybe in a year or two.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

How are you all selling your bikes these days? I mentioned putting my old bike on Craigslist to my mechanic, and he said everyone uses Facebook Marketplace or Cycle Trader now

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Ugh now I remember why I hadn't checked Craigslist or anything in so long. I want to buy so many of these dumb bikes on Marketplace.