Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I just passed my MSF and would like to get a small bike to go around town in.

Here's what I found 1985 Rebel 250. Ideally I'd like to ride this for the fall and trade up next season to a more powerful bike. If I can sell it within a few hundred of what I paid for it I'd be happy.

Is the price fairly reasonable?

Could my girlfriend ride with me on such a small bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Bob Sapp Please posted:

I had a '86 Rebel as my first bike. Paid $100 for it, sold it 6 months later for $700, but it was not in the condition that one is. Dead simple to work on and fairly reliable, but you will get bored drat fast. It's slow, but it will turn like crazy.

There are some downfalls. The '85-'87 Rebels had a really lovely headlight that I don't think you can get a new bulb for unless you fork out a lot. 35 watts of fury.

Riding with a passenger on that thing would be a deathwish.

Sounds like what I'm looking for :)

I'm going to meet with the guy in a few hours, hopefully I can talk him down in price and have a new bike to show off to AI.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Recently bought a 2005 Ninja 250 with 170 miles on it. The previous owner dropped it and broke off the right turn signal and bent the rear brake. I need to have these items fixed before I can take it to inspection.

Where would the best place be to buy the replacement parts?

I don't do much work on cars and none on bikes, are either of these difficult to repair?

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I'm sick of wearing a backpack when I ride, at high speeds it sucks. What kind of aftermarket storage is available for a ninja 250 that doesn't mess up the aerodynamics of the bike? I'm looking to carry (at most) a few folders, a wallet, and a phone.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
My '05 250 Ninja fell over while parked, breaking an inch off the clutch handle. How hard are these to replace and where is the cheapest place to get the OEM part online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Is there still a street bike culture like there was in the early 2000's?

I did the cliche thing where I road for a decade, got married and stopped riding, and now I'm riding again. And now that I'm back I really miss the lovely squid community of the late 90's early 2000's. Like I remember I'd be riding alone in 2002 and just see other street bike guys hanging out, pull up, and we could just talk about bikes. Today I will occasionally see sports bike guys doing high way pulls but not the bike community like I remember. Yeah there are meetup groups but it's not the same.

Forgive the old man yelling at a cloudness of this post, but has the biking community changed that much or is it just me.