Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just brought my bike in for the bi-annual checkup and the engineer commented that my chain binds slightly. If you kink it with your fingers it stays kinked, but it's easy to push back as well. I rode about 400km this weekend and haven't cleaned and lubed it again after that.

Does it bind because it's dirty or is it time for a new chain? The bike is from 2007 and I'm pretty sure the PO never replaced the chain.

e: The bike has about 8000km on it.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That whole series seems very informative. Now I know what to do at work tomorrow.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

Any :sweden: goons in the thread? I just moved here from the US and might be interested in getting a motorcycle licence (i meant to do it in the US but oh well too late). I'm familiar with the US system, take MSF, pass written test, get your licence. What's the smartest way to go about it here?
First of all, sit down. If you have no previous experience, a bike license will run you between 10 and 15k SEK (1500-2000 USD) for classes and tests. The more you can practice on your own the better off you are. You have to study theory (traffic rules, how to make sure your bike is safe for riding, etc), and practice riding, both low speed maneuvers and city/highway/freeway riding. This is best and usually done at a traffic school. In my experience taking a fast-pace course is better cause you get more riding and practice per session, so you waste less of the lesson gearing up, getting the bikes out, etc.

You first need to acquire a driver's license permit. It's basically just a paper where you certify that you're not legally blind or have some other physical or mental disability that prevents you from being a safe driver/rider. Trafikverket (our DMV) will also check so that you don't have a currently suspended license.

As part of the education you have to attend two special classes, Risk 1 and Risk 2. Risk 1 is just a classroom session where they try to drill common sense into your head (Don't ride drunk, wear a full face helmet and proper gear, don't ride over your abilities, etc.). Risk 2 is a riding session where you're taught emergency braking, proper cornering, risk awareness in traffic, how big a car's blind spot is, and so on. You technically don't need any riding experience before taking Risk 2, but you gain a lot more from it if you're already comfortable on the bike.

After you've practiced and feel ready you start by taking a written test (65 multiple choice questions, 51 to pass). This is taken at Trafikverket. You must have finished Risk 1 and 2 before you can book the written test. If you fail the written test you have to book it again at a later date. You can't do the riding test before you've passed the written test.

Once you've passed the written test you can book the riding test. Usually you get a time within a week or two. Again Trafikverket is responsible for the test, not your riding school. The test consists of one or two low-speed maneuver tests consisting of slaloms, box turns, figure 8s and so on. Then you do an emergency brake test, a swerve test followed directly by a high-speed slalom, U turn at speed and controlled braking. After you've passed that you go for a ride, usually a bit of mixed city and freeway riding, but it's up to the guy testing you where you ride. Pass that and you're good to go.

The best way to do all this is to contact a riding school in your area and they'll help you jump through all the hoops.

e: Forgot about the permit.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 28, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Also it wouldn't matter if you took your license in the US before moving here. You can drive on a non-EEA license for a limited time, but only licenses issued in countries within EEA (European Economic Area, basically the EU plus Iceland, Norway and Lichtenstein) can be directly converted to a swedish license without re-testing.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 28, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

No idea, I guess it's just national policy. I kept reading about it and apparently we have an exception for Japan and Switzerland as well.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a similar noise on my 650, so it's probably normal.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When I was insuring my ER6 I first called LF, since I have my home insurance with them and figured I could get some co-insurance rebate. They quoted me 16k SEK per year, after rebates.

Went with Svedea instead, where I'm paying about 5k per year for comprehensive including roadside assistance.

It seems there are some insurance companies here that simply don't want to insure motorcycles, but instead of denying it right out they quote you ridiculous prices knowing you'll never take it anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If your twin engine lugs at 4k rpm there's something wrong with it. Lugging means that feeling where you can hear and feel it just barely make the next revolution, on the verge of stalling.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

144p? It's like Google Video from 2005 all over again.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

tjones posted:

Is there anything I need to consider before buying a rear stand? Are there certain brands I should stay away from/gravitate towards?
You want to get one with adjustable pads/hooks. Does your bike have swing arm bobbins or can easily be fitted with them?

The trackside stand looks good.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

chad4yew posted:

That guy is a danger to oncoming riders.

It also sounds like Owen Wilson is telling the guy off after they pick up the bike.
In pretty much every Rnickeymouse video I've seen there's been people shouting and waving at people to stay in their lane.

I will never understand people who go into the oncoming lane in a blind curve. I'm nervous enough being in my own lane in a blind curve.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is Pilot Road 4 enough of an upgrade over Pilot Road 3 to justify another $100?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm in europe, and I just realized I was comparing apples and oranges because I was getting quotes on the tires from two different places and one gave a hefty rebate on the tires if you paid to have them changed at the same time.

So in that case there's really no reason to go with PR3 over PR4? I'm switching out a pair of 6 year old battlax tires.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I emailed the place I got the quote on PR3s from and asked about PR4s and the difference in price was negligible. Gonna go with PR4s then.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Don't recall where you are, but I've bought my last four tyres at dexon.se, and it's worked pretty good, fast delivery and good prices. If you can find a shop that doesn't add a shitload on the mounting because you didn't buy your tyres from them, that is.
Thanks! I'm in Stockholm, but I'll keep that one in mind. Do you know of any good webshop in .se for bike parts in general? All the stores around here have terrible webshops.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pie Colony posted:

If i can fit a u-lock through the wheel, why should i bother getting a chain? If the answer to this is so i can chain it to things, someone told me that it's illegal to do in NYC and someone would impound it. I don't know if they would care in my neighborhood in Brooklyn though considering I see scooters and motorcycles parked on the sidewalk all the time.
A U-lock doesn't stop someone from simply picking your bike up and tossing it onto a flatbed.

(A chain through the frame and around a lamppost doesn't either if they really want your bike, but it raises the :effort: bar)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Where's that post from an ex bike thief who was giving people pointers on how to make their bikes unattractive to steal?

fake edit, found it:http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What's wrong with engine braking? :confused:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Exhaust brakes/compression brakes/jake brakes/whatever you call them in your part of the world

In NSW the signs say PLEASE LIMIT USE OF COMPRESSION BRAKING
Oh I see, I thought it refered to engine braking as in the regular shifting down and letting off the throttle.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think the only trip I'd take on that tire is to the tire shop.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bucephalus posted:

Start with something simple like changing oil.
yes, it's *that* one
Knew which video it was, watched it again anyway. Probably watched it a dozen times, and I just now noticed that in the next cut after he touches the exhaust header he has a band-aid on his finger. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe some companies jack up the rates like crazy ("sure, Mr. Leadfoot, we'll insure your Sportster but it'll cost you $10,000 a year") but I don't think there's any law saying the company has to provide insurance to someone when the confounding factor is something they control (type of motorcycle, number of tickets, etc).
The insurance company where I have my home insurance does this. They quoted me about €1850 per year to insure my ER6-F/650R, and I'm not even in a high risk age group. They're making it blatantly obvious that they don't want to insure motorcycles at all.

The company I'm using now charges me just under €500 per year for comprehensive including roadside assistance.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Didn't mootmoot also rag on every bike that wasn't a Daytona or a superbike, or was it just the Bandit?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If it's a US bike i.e. a Harley, Indian or Buell it will have SAE fasteners, otherwise I think pretty much everything else is metric. (Royal Enfield probably uses fasteners measured in fractions of a horse-length or something because :britain:)

A KLR is most definitely metric.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Converting between different systems of measurement has never led to life-threatening mistakes either.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Shimrod posted:

That's so stupid..

Linedance:

I always thought the UK used Metric for everything? Learn a new thing every day.
UK is really confused on measurements. Some things are metric, some things are imperial. Doesn't make things easier that imperial measurements in many cases differ from american measurements even if they have the same name. For instance a UK gallon is 4.55 liters, but a US gallon is 3.79 liters. A UK pint is 0.57 liters, while a US pint is 0.47.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Buells use a mixture of both, as do a lot of US-manufacturer cars.
After I posted that I realized the V-Rod might use metric fasteners in the engine at least.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Torx doesn't come in metric/imperial. A T(x) is just a size on the Torx scale, the number doesn't correspond to any regular measurement. According to wikipedia a T8 for instance is 2.31mm from point to point, or 0.090 inch.

Half the point of Torx was to make a universal bolt head disconnected from regular measurements, specifically to avoid the metric/imperial issue.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Am I too late in saying ScienceAndMusic should get a Grom if he wants a small and light bike? :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That reads like a poem.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At least on my Ninja 650 I can shift from 2nd to Neutral.. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I do it intentionally every time I stop. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The correct way is to filter to the front and stop in front of the cars already stopped.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's a recoilless gun. :mil101:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Was it fine before you parked it? Just reinflate it and make sure it's not just some waste of sperm who aired your tire.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Obviously this is what you need for commuting.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I haven't noticed a change in fuel consumption after getting new tires, but I'll chalk that up to the PR4s making me more comfortable with spirited riding. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/masochist

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Off topic: Do they really think anyone will "sign up" just to watch a product page and not just enter gibberish to get past their popup?

Helmet looks neat I guess, if you're into Tron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It pops up on desktop as well. I see poo poo like that all the time in my work.

:reject: "Hey it would be really cool if we could get the emails of all potential customers, so hey web monkey, make it so that people have to enter an email address to access our site!"
:v: "Uh, I could do but everyone will hate it and it will drive visitors away. Also, people will just enter fake addresses"
:reject: "Nonsense, I'm the boss here, do it or you're fired!"

*months pass*

:reject: "Sales are down, nobody visits our site any more and all the email addresses we harvest are bogus! Web monkey, what did you gently caress up?"
:suicide: