Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Stop trying to make fetch happen.

Slavvy posted:

Is a manometer any assistance in this situation, and how fast is a 'fast' idle? The idle is meant to be ~1500 when warm.

For balancing them to each other later on, a manometer would be handy. That's basically what a Carbtune is (a flashy manometer) after all. For setting the pilot screw(s), I've never used one. I'm sure you could plug it in and use it to set the optimal air flow, but I'm not sure that it would be accurate after you've fiddled with the idle and stuff. If normal idle is 1500, I'd just set it at 2000 or something while doing with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hyodung? Maybe?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The assessors here always ride their own bike behind you (mine was on a Blackbird IIRC), and the only instructions given are "go right at the next intersection" or "ride towards [city] name" or somesuch and then it's up to you to carry out the task without riding like an rear end or breaking the law.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MomJeans420 posted:

The only problem is I'd be learning in Honolulu traffic, which is apparently horrible.

I dunno, the two weeks I was there I can't say I felt it was any more horrible than anywhere else I've been in the US.

Traffic seems to elicit some kind of reverse bragging reflex in people; "oh, traffic where I live is so bad, everyone drives like an idiot" "well, it can't be as bad as where I live, it's horrible here" "you both have it easy, where I live traffic is the worst" etc etc

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The SV has started acting strange. As soon as it is in 5th or 6th gear, it feels like the I'm lugging the engine no matter what rpm I'm at? Different exhaust note, shaking in sync with the cylinders firing sort of. At least I think it is connected to 5th/6th, I've been trying to gently caress around with riding in 4th where I wouldn't usually and stuff.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
2003 FI.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Adding to what Slavvy said, the expense keeps people from switching rims like they would on a car, which keeps numbers low, which keeps expenses high, which keeps numbers low etc etc etc

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The SV has started acting strange. As soon as it is in 5th or 6th gear, it feels like the I'm lugging the engine no matter what rpm I'm at? Different exhaust note, shaking in sync with the cylinders firing sort of. At least I think it is connected to 5th/6th, I've been trying to gently caress around with riding in 4th where I wouldn't usually and stuff.

2003 SV650.

No idea if it's related, but I did plugs and air filter the other day. After I was done, I started it up and let it idle for a while. Gave it a couple of revs, all good. Turned it off and rolled it back in the garage.

Going to work the next day, it won't start. Starter goes round round, catches just the tiniest bit. Gave it some gas, it caught a little but died as soon as I let go of the gas. Took the car. New attempt yesterday, won't catch at all.

Battery is charged, fuel pump primes, double checked that the plug caps are on, fuel line isn't pinched.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Planned Non-Operational. It's a stupid thing you have to do in California (maybe some other states too) if you plan to store the bike where you pay 15 dollars a year to affirm to the DMV that you really aren't riding it. You cannot have an unregistered vehicle in California; if you just let the registration lapse, you will have to pay for the back fees plus penalties next time you register it, because the state believes that you were probably riding it anyway during the time you weren't paying.

I already knew about this, but every time I read about I have stop and wonder how such stupid bullshit can even be legal? I can't come up with any other scenario where it's ok to presume people are guilty.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

2003 SV650.

No idea if it's related, but I did plugs and air filter the other day. After I was done, I started it up and let it idle for a while. Gave it a couple of revs, all good. Turned it off and rolled it back in the garage.

Going to work the next day, it won't start. Starter goes round round, catches just the tiniest bit. Gave it some gas, it caught a little but died as soon as I let go of the gas. Took the car. New attempt yesterday, won't catch at all.

Battery is charged, fuel pump primes, double checked that the plug caps are on, fuel line isn't pinched.

Follow up to this. I hosed around some more, switched back to the old plugs (and then put the new ones back in when it didn't make a difference), checked grounds, scratched my head a lot. Nothing worked, still would just go round round round on the starter without catching at all. So my dad came over to help me brainstorm a bit plus that he wanted to hear and see the problem himself, and when I showed him it started up perfectly. :confused:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I, uh, borrowed some of those. I'll give em back later ok?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Does it involve any of the core group of posters? If so, yes.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Aftermarket levers come in two flavors: total garbage and massively overpriced.

Sometimes you hit the jackpot and it's both!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"We need to make more money, any suggestions?"

Same reason Loncin makes all their new straight twins.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 8, 2022

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
More weight is more weight, but never is it felt more than when you have to park with your front wheel facing downhill and then have to try and pull it out, uphill and backwards.

Unless it's a Goldwing then you just put it in reverse I guess.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

20 minutes before the guy showed up. I was wheeling it out to wipe it down and discovered a big puddle under the front wheel The guy did end up buying it at a discount :v:

I read that as "wheeleing it out".

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of taking out plugs, on my 1988 GSX600F the plug wells are so narrow that I had to get a regular "thin walled socket" and turn it down a millimeter to actually get it down there. I'm sure there's some Suzuki tool for the job but really.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Because then they make more money?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Imagine living in Sweden and *not* wanting rain optimized. You buffoon.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Invalido posted:

Energica EVA Ribelle is 10 kgs lighter than the EsseEsse9

So it only weighs like an 80s 1100cc? All the Energicas are heavy as poo poo.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Not for every bike. My old goldwing was that way, my new one is for sure not. When I first bought it I fought and struggled with it for a week before I finally googled how to do it. You push down on the stand and pull up on the rear grab bar while holding the handlebar. Pulling back on the bars on that bike:

If any bike ever comes with a powered centerstand, I'd expect it to be a Goldwing.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bengy81 posted:

Just punch thru it with an 18" Phillips screwdriver and spin the fucker off.

This also works on cartridge filters, I once discovered. A new housing cost 60 bux at Volvo. 😅

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Geekboy posted:

I pulled in for the 600 mile service at exactly 600 miles after circling some parking lots because I was at 599.

How do we workshop this into the thread title?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't have anything to add, except to tell you my little trip across the internet to refresh my memory on bolt grades taught me that through advancements in materials, there are now 14.9 and 15.8 bolts being made. Science!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate that Swedish speed cameras only take pictures from the front.

fake edit: but I also actually rarely speed these days.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Generally, if there's a gasket or seal there's probably (supposed to be) oil (or some other fluid) behind it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Same reason body panels on your car aren't made of ABS plastic, even tho it would be a superior material for many of them. It doesn't have that nice feel to it.

It also has some less desirable characteristics compared to metal, like thermal expansion and brittleness as it ages. Ducati had (has?) a problem with swollen/expanded/rippled plastic gas tanks.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Invalido posted:

Right-o. It seems there are shipping restrictions for wet lead acid batteries, so if I want a wet and ready Yuasa I'll need to find a local supplier. I'm sure they are around somewhere at a reasonable price but the only one I could find semi-locally with a cursory googling was :homebrew: . A local big box chain store has a maintenance free gel battery that fits and has the right specs, so that's what's happening. If it was the motorcycle which I road trip I would probably go for quality but this is a rough and ready runabout that never goes far from home. Also I verified that it's just the battery that's messed up by starting the scoot via jumper cables hooked up to an electric wheelbarrow (runs on a small lead acid battery and is highly mobile) which I thought was a little bit funny.

Biltema is always the answer. Even when its not.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
When I had my DRZ it was much easier (and cheaper) to source a TM than an FCR in Sweden.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Invalido posted:

I'm thinking about putting the larger Clarke brand plastic fuel tank that came with the bike on the DRZ. I'm seeing about 45mpg or 5l/100km fuel economy. Maybe I'm running rich and it should be better, maybe it's within normal range, not sure.

I happened to find some of my old notes from my DRZ, it was an SM with a stock carb.