Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Don't they have to write the specific state law that you broke on the ticket?

At least that is the case in Washington State, maybe it's different elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

epswing posted:

Showerthoughts: if I'm moving at 40 kph in 1st gear holding 20% throttle at 3000 rpm, is that the same fuel consumption as moving at 120 kph in 5th gear holding 20% throttle at 3000 rpm?

Fuel consumption depends on engine loading too, and I'm guessing that will be different. I.e, 120 kph imposes a much higher air resistance load. I'm sure there are other factors - rolling resistance, transmission, chain resistance, etc

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah, that's a good way to put it. I only know it's used in aviation, probably in other critical applications, too.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 4, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The battery has probably poo poo the bed. You're a few winters in.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Next thing I would check is the condition of the connections for the main positive and ground cables.
I.e., make sure the connections to the starter relay and to the starter itself are tight and not corroded.
I'm assuming the battery terminals themselves are good and tight as you just replaced the battery.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Little fiber optic USB cameras that connect to your phone are also great for this

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I know it will rain at least once a week while I am riding. Nature's quick-wash.

I do try to remember to clean my dad screen.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Use your neighbor's driveway?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Moisture is very bad for your chain and causes corrosion so definitely get a bunch of salt on there, dehydrate that bad boy, then lube with olive oil or melted butter

I have some opinions about olive oil ratings for this application and I will tell you what Big Olea doesn't want you to know. Pls click like and hit subscribe

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Not all plugs have resistors, though I'm not sure how prevalent that is in bikes.
The resistor reduces EMF noise from the plug. As example from personal experience, running an MSD digital ignition on a system with non-resistor plugs results in a very badly running engine.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

epswing posted:

Bring old helmets to the local fire station so they can use it for training purposes.

Jousting matches at the firestation?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
When that battery shits the bed seven years down the road, you'll know what you did.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I keep a five gallon can at home for refills. Every now and then I'll get it on my way to work at the local station.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I used to have a 2014 Giant Road bike that had cable operated disc brakes. They worked great for the 21k miles I put on the bike, but I'm not sure I'd want it on something motorized

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
During the same years I had the Giant, I also had a heavy steel frame entry level Trek hardtail MTB with hydraulic disc brakes. I didn't put nearly the same miles on it - maybe 3500 - but owned it for about the same time. They also never gave me problems despite me completing neglecting maintenance other than pad changes. That's actually a great advantage over the cable operated ones because I had to replace those cables at least once and they went internal to the carbon frame. Not fun.
I've also had the cables freeze up in very cold weather. That may have been what led to the replacement.
But both types braked very well.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I really wanted to buy a Trail 125 but it wasn't going to happen in spring 2021. None available, used ones selling for 5k+.
I found a Monkey instead and bought it. I haven't regretted it and my desire for the Trail has somewhat faded, but it's still there. I still want one.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CongoJack posted:

I was able to buy, register, and insure a motorcycle in WA with just a permit.

You don't even need the permit. I bought and registered my Monkey without a permit/endorsement in WA

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

knuthgrush posted:

Another brief update: I got ahold of the state police (the ones that do all the testing). They said they no longer issue permits but they have no idea on purchasing/registering without a license. They essentially hinted that most people just drive illegally until they can test.. Looks like going to the Harley place for the class is the safest option. I'll look into that even though it makes me pretty drat uncomfortable. I got the generic study guide for the written test so I'll probably knock that out first. Thanks again for the help, folks.

If you don't ride like a moron, no cop will pull you over to check your license. Obviously you will have trouble with obtaining insurance so it's not a good idea to do this.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm sure there is a legal path. It's probably not a question that comes up very often and cops are morons.
The DMV people should know better

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Seems to be about the right ratio between freedom miles and metric miles

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've painted stand-up jetskis before. Small fiberglass or carbon hulls that experience a lot of flex.
I've used standard PPG and House of Kolor epoxy primers, both self etching and standard.
On top of that, primer sealer and then base coat, as much as you want.
If you want graphics or stickers, you'd clean and apply them now
After that, a urethane clear coat with flex additive. The cure on the clear coat takes a while - in colder temperatures it can take weeks.
That's about as complicated as it gets. I'm not suggesting that you do all of that, I just wanted to highlight the process for a similar application. Each of these steps also requires reducer (thinner) and hardener.
On the compressor side, use a moisture separator and make sure the compressor can drive the required flow at the required pressure. HVLP spray guns work well but they are pretty demanding wrt/air flow requirements.

Note:. Buy a good full face mask with filter cartridges appropriate for the substances you'll be spraying. Organic paint fumes are no joke and can kill noyou or otherwise gently caress you up.
You'll also want a makeshift paint booth with plastic sheeting, a fan and an intake filter. PVC piping works great as a frame or you can attach the sheeting directly to the framing in your garage, idk. I've done it both ways.
You also want to hang your parts or build a jig for them so that you can spray the entire part at the right distance and without touching it.

These paint jobs I described have been holding up for 8-10 years now and still look reasonably good from 6ft away

There are some really good quality rattle can paints out there that will probably do what you want with far less effort.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 28, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Start making a ball of rubber bands and shove it in there

I'm a sucker for OEM parts so I'd just deal with the outrageous shipping charges

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
AI sorts your nubbins

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There's something incredibly reassuring about riding a stock, unmolested and reliable bike

*rides a 22 yr old KTM into the dune sunset

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I do not think 300's are casually putting out 48 HP. Rung out 250cc MC bikes get in that territory.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Same. 3 dirt bikes of various sizes and the VStrom and the Monkey. I feel that's good variety

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
BMW and electric sounds exciting

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Going from a sight glass back to the dipstick is a classic instance of Honda thinking they know better for reasons that no one person working there would ever be able to articulate

My 2019 Monkey has a sight glass :smugdog:

The old tech sold as retro once again wraps back around to being awesome

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Toe Rag posted:

I don't know if this will help your problem, but I finger tighten all bolts/screws before I start using any tools. If it's cross-threaded you'll get maybe 2-3 turns in before you feel it. I've never cross-threaded anything as far as I remember

Nah just go ham with the electric impact
Cross-thread? No, new thread!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

When you dirtbike people drop your bikes, if the shifter bends, do you replace with OEM or like aftermarket like Tusk?

I have been off roading my Versys X 300 at an ATV park. There's a storytime somewhere in there but my shifter looks bent after this last run.

Depends on the quality of the OEM lever. I'm usually a fan of OEM parts, but chances are its broke because it's made of swiss cheese. I've had that situation with my son's KLX300. Terrible OEM shifter.
he's also hard on shifters for some reason I can't figure out. I have two aftermarket replacements in my mobile tool box

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nvm

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I let the vee roll backwards and once that baby hits 1-2 mph I just kick down that center stand as hard as possible.
Bam, bike in the dirt.

Sorry I have no idea how to use a center stand

the above method has worked tho

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Practicing wheelies from the start to manage whiskey throttle is awesome advice, idk what y'all are on about.
You can just wheelie everywhere. Wins all around

pls don't

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's common to see hand signals on the trail wrt/ how many more riders are following

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That seems strange as I've used those magnet type sensors on different bicycles over multiple years in up to 115F temperatures. One bike used the same magnet over 20,000 miles / 7 years

Edit: ooof, 80C not F. Yeah that makes sense.

Double edit: wait a minute, Trail Tech uses the magnet type speedo on their units. I'm pretty sure I've got one mounted to the brake disc on my Klx300

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 23, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My experience with Grom parts is that if they are Japanese (Takegawa / Kitaco / Yoshimura / etc) then they are probably well thought out and well made. Everything else can be hit and miss. I generally prefer OEM Honda parts though.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I still manually detect my crashes :(

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've had really good experiences with a 3-finger gripper socket. It tightens around the filter as you spin the wrench to loosen the filter.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A fuse generally does not protect against reversing polarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Be sure to size that diode appropriately. I.e, don't try to use a 1N4148 or something