Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've heard of off-road riders doing this in emergencies. There are probably some actual products for this.
I think it's only to plug a hole in the tire carcass itself. You'd still have to fix the tube or replace it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
MTB riders use dollar bills

the poor souls still running tubes that is

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
How much do you weigh? My kid (150 lbs) rides a Kawi 140 and it's honestly too slow for him now. You can make it work and it's pretty fun, but you have to ride it like you goddamn mean it. And then the suspension will bottom out all the time.

I'm not sure I'd trust the class of bike you're suggesting in a trail. They may be fine, I don't know. Maybe someone else can chime in.

A 125 2-stroke would work. An XT250 would work, or a TW200, any 250 4T

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You might consider a used SurRon electric bike or a clone

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I think you'd be much, much better off with a smaller, much lighter dedicated trail bike or maybe a small dual sport. 380 pounds is ridiculous on the trail.
Imo a 300 lb bike is still too heavy.*

You want something you can easily control and wrestle around. A 140cc bike like the Kawi or SSRs you're thinking of are around 200 lbs.
It's a huge difference. Once I started riding my VStrom, my KX250 felt like a mountain bike with power, and the KLX140 like a very fun toy.

If you want something small, light, with great suspension - look for 65-125cc 2 stroke MX bikes. Probably a little above your price range. Those suckers are surprisingly expensive even used.

*Unless you just ride fire roads, i.e. easy dirt roads in the forest.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 3, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'd be going in fast so that most of the speed and momentum is already there and you don't have to build it on the way up.
Move body position forward to keep the front down.
Accelerating uphill lifts the front easily. Moving weight backwards will make that worse.

Edit: what I'm describing is more dirt bike appropriate.
Don't let the seat slap your nuts. Sit down to keep firm contact with the seat and the bike. The suspension should be able to handle this. Still lean forward though.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My own technique is that I try staying seated. If the suspension can't do the work for me, I'll stand up. Knees bent will still leave me higher than just hovering above the seat.

The only time I really smash my balls is when I try wheelying and come back down too hard. Oof

Edit. Actual example with me on the bike going on a pretty steep climb. I'm seated but leaning forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XFxRaFYuFc

Double edit: watch to the end to see me pop into neutral unexpectedly and almost fall over

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 3, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I haven't had that issue with the 5 dirt bikes I've owned or my Monkey/VStrom/88 CBR600 I owned for a couple months a decade ago
I did have that problem on road bicycles at times. Probably posture related in that case.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Sagebrush posted:

I certainly didn't delete the EVAP system on my motorcycle, but if I did, I would have done so because it's a huge octopus spider web of extra hoses crawling all over the engine that makes it a gigantic pain to work on the bike for the sole benefit of recapturing 1 ml of gasoline vapor per month.

Monster!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah, fill out your report of sale and submit it to the proper authorities where you live, if applicable.
I do this immediately after the sale. If the buyer abandons the vehicle by the side of the road on the way home, I don't want to be responsible for it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Pretty much any UPS store will have a notary. My 18 yr old kid is an Oregon notary due to working at a UPS store.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Whatever connector you choose, please buy the right crimp tool for it, preferably from the same vendor.

Anecdotal stuff: back when I was riding/working on standup jetskis a lot, I was very fond of water proof Japanese bullet connectors. I think these were even available with pre-filled solder cups so you would just use a heat gun to solder and heat shrink it in one step. Yamaha uses them as OEM parts.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The metal pieces interlock and the insulation covers also overlap, making for a pretty secure connection.
I probably wouldn't use these to redo a motorcycle wiring harness as they are not very space efficient and it might suck to have to plug/unplug individual wires when you could be using a multi pole connector.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I really like using kerosene. It works very well on nasty chains and it's cheap.
Currently I'm working my way through some leftover premix for the KTM250 I sold a couple months ago. It also works ok, but not as well.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I put a catch pan under the wheel and chain. It's best to have the rear wheel off the ground. I use a plastic chain cleaning brush tool to brush a bunch on the chain first, in small sections. Then use the soaked brush again to clean up that section of chain.
You can also keep rotating the rear wheel and hold the soaked brush tool against the chain.
Once the chunks are off, I dry everything with paper towels. They'll be very dirty initially.
Then oil the chain and wipe again.

Something like this:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've been using it on oring chains for a couple years. The chain on my 2021 KLX300R needs to be replaced, it has approximately 110 hours on it. It got cleaned at least every 2-4 hours. Lots of sand riding.
I haven't personally experienced any problems due to the kerosene but it's possible some oring materials are negatively affected, idk

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I buy mine at Fred Meyer in 1 gallon plastic bottles

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some local hardware stores now sell 1 gallon bottles of ethanol-free premium.
$35 ouch lol

Luckily, there are a few stations around me where I can pump it for $6/gal

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I might try that for convenience

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hmmm I am positive cleaning the chain on a dune bike will be beneficial. That sand can't be good on that many moving parts

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hi is this available

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've had a T32 on the back for 4500 miles now. I like it?
As you can see, it leans over just fine but it's starting to square off.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Those have nuts to lock the adjuster bolt in place so I think you'd use anti -seize if anything

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Remember the oval shaped chain rings on some bicycles in the 90s?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

builds character posted:

I had my whatever version at the time iphone camera break from this. But it was also a big thumper so maybe less of an issue for others. I got this https://hondogarage.com/products/test-of-perfect-squeeze-bar-clamp-bundle with the buzzkill https://hondogarage.com/products/buzz-kill-vibration-isolator and it's great. Stupid expensive but also really good and cheaper than my phone.

That is the same mount I've used on my Monkey and VStrom.
It's now serving on my KX250 as trail navigator

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I pulled the crank bolt cover on my 2021 KLX300R today and found a decent amount of oil there.
I think the crank seal might be leaking, but perhaps there's supposed to be oil here? I haven't seen that arrangement before, but I guess some bike motors do this?

Center cover:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Huh. Thanks!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Not the same kind of cast wheel, but my kid ran into a tree with his KLX300 at probably 10mph this last weekend. Three spokes broke and at least one is bent. The rim predictably now has a spot pulled out of true.
Got new spokes on order but I'll have a shop deal with the tire on/off bullshit and trueing it back up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:corsair: Nobody wants to electrolyze anymore!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I get that feeling on my KX all the time. It's especially strong after a decent crash.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I think the stator on my VStrom is no longer working correctly. I got a low voltage warning on my commute home and the bike had a hard time starting once I got home.
Running voltage at the terminals is 11.65 V which is bad. I'm charging the battery right now as I am guessing it's probably fine.
The stator seems to be a common trouble spot for 1st gen Vees.
I'll be pulling the stator later today to inspect.

The OEM unit is $352.
There's various aftermarket options, but only two stand out: Electrosport and RPM Stator.
Reviews are mixed with bad reviews seemingly peaking years ago, but I'm not sure.
In my years working on Jetskis, I found aftermarket electronics to be utter garbage* and that the expensive OEM electronics were a better deal.

*Exception is MSD which is hit and miss and even more astronomically expensive than Japanese OEM electronics.

Edited for picture. Discolored/blackened windings and a dark heat discoloration spot on the stator plate itself.

Double-edit: I bought an Electrosport stator and a new cover gasket.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 4, 2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hey man I bought five feet and I intend not to waste any

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've had the same tender JR for about 18 years now, back from my Jetski days. I didn't use it much at all 2013-2020, but it still works great.
The KX250's LiFePo battery has its own dedicated charger though.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm at 7800 miles on my T32 rear now. I think I have another 1k-2k, maybe

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Be sure to fuse it or put it on an existing, fused circuit. If option 2, you might need to resize the fuse

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
2 of my FI bikes will idle higher when cold. The monkey does it automatically. The KX requires me to pull a sort of choke knob

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lol that KX is 2022.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Mikuni SBN series is what I'm familiar with. Used over decades in personal watercraft.
Only Kawasaki used Keihins. Maybe Polaris.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The Sturgis Button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You mean to tell me you have to actually load the engine to tune the carbs?